ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 30th October 2012, 10:31 AM   #1
Deranged
Thinker

Question Former Agnostic Exposed to Reiki ?

When I was Agnostic I ran into a lady in Key West . I knew nothing at all about Reiki and didn't understand what had happened.
She told me to hold my hands six inches over her upturned hands and right away I felt static electricity flowing from her hands to mine and I said, "what is THAT?" Soon, we walked off. This was in Mallory Square. It wasn't something most people could deny or forget about.
What do you think of Reiki ? Was it something else? She never mentioned God.
Old 30th October 2012, 10:33 AM   #2
godless dave
Great Dalmuti

She may have built up static electricity in her body, or she may have been persuasive enough to suggest that you would feel something, so you did.
Old 30th October 2012, 10:44 AM   #3
wardenclyffe
Graduate Poster

Did you get her name and contact info?

Ward
Old 30th October 2012, 10:48 AM   #4
Deranged
Thinker

She never suggested I would feel anything and I didn't expect to. What a shock; pardon the pun.
Old 30th October 2012, 10:49 AM   #5
Deranged
Thinker

No; I never thought of it. I lived in Texas; she in Florida and there was a lot to see that night.
Old 30th October 2012, 10:54 AM   #6
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by Deranged View Post
She never suggested I would feel anything and I didn't expect to.
So when she asked you to hold your hands a few inches above hers, it never crossed your mind that she might have some expectation you would sense something?
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2012, 10:56 AM   #7
wardenclyffe
Graduate Poster

Too bad, you both could have gotten rich with either of these prizes:

There's the Australian Skeptics' AU$100,000 Prize
http://www.skeptics.com.au/features/prize/
They also offer AU$20,000 as a "Spotter's Fee"

and

There's the IIG's US$50,000 Challenge in California, USA
They now have affiliates in Atlanta, GA and Washington, DC and are developing affiliates in Denver, CO, Calgary, Canada and probably other places as well.
http://www.iigwest.org/challenge.html
They also offer US$5,000 as a "Finder's Fee"

A little curiosity then could have gotten you rich. A little curiosity now will only get you people saying "you have no proof" "maybe she rubbed her feet on carpet" "you only thought you felt something."

You've got to strike while the iron's hot, my friend.

Ward
Old 30th October 2012, 11:06 AM   #8
Deranged
Thinker

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
So when she asked you to hold your hands a few inches above hers, it never crossed your mind that she might have some expectation you would sense something?
I had no expectation of anything. She said "hold your hands above mine face down" and I simply complied. I can't envision anyone thinking , "I'm going to feel something now!" I've read Reiki Masters can do this but only recently after hearing of it from Facebook.
Old 30th October 2012, 11:07 AM   #9
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

What do you think of Reiki ? Was it something else?
Remember when you were a kid and a sibling kept tickling you, and after a while the game got annoying and you kept telling them to knock it off, but they wouldn't? Remember when they kept hovering, ready to tickle you under your arm or on the back of your neck, and when you told them to stop they'd say 'But I'm not touching you' and the tantalising sensation was really, really itchy?

Well, that's what it was.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2012, 11:08 AM   #10
Deranged
Thinker

Originally Posted by wardenclyffe View Post
Too bad, you both could have gotten rich with either of these prizes:

There's the Australian Skeptics' AU$100,000 Prize
http://www.skeptics.com.au/features/prize/
They also offer AU$20,000 as a "Spotter's Fee"

and

There's the IIG's US$50,000 Challenge in California, USA
They now have affiliates in Atlanta, GA and Washington, DC and are developing affiliates in Denver, CO, Calgary, Canada and probably other places as well.
http://www.iigwest.org/challenge.html
They also offer US$5,000 as a "Finder's Fee"

A little curiosity then could have gotten you rich. A little curiosity now will only get you people saying "you have no proof" "maybe she rubbed her feet on carpet" "you only thought you felt something."

You've got to strike while the iron's hot, my friend.

Ward
I know I screwed up. We were on pavement, anyways. I was sort of rushing wanting to see many of the performers.
Old 30th October 2012, 11:11 AM   #11
Deranged
Thinker

Remember when you were a kid and a sibling kept tickling you, and after a while the game got annoying and you kept telling them to knock it off, but they wouldn't? Remember when they kept hovering, ready to tickle you under your arm or on the back of your neck, and when you told them to stop they'd say 'But I'm not touching you' and the tantalising sensation was really, really itchy?

Well, that's what it was.
No; a tickling session could go on for ten minutes. She spoke to me for two minutes about my family then we did the hand thing and it was over. She said, "you're a healer; did you know that?" And I said, "no" and she was silent. Thus I suspect Reiki since she mentioned healing. The sensation from her hands came on abruptly, lasted ten seconds, then I withdrew my hands.

Last edited by Deranged; 30th October 2012 at 11:16 AM. Reason: clarification
Deranged is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2012, 11:20 AM   #12
Resume
Penultimate Amazing

Well, there's no such thing as a Reiki master, so there's that. Next, your mind can do amazing things like impart sensations that aren't really there, or fashion a memory unconsciously.

Do you really think you're a "healer" or do you think you just liked hearing that?
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2012, 11:28 AM   #13
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

I'm not suggesting she actually tickled you. I'm just suggesting the tantalising feeling was partly from your imagination.

Don't forget that the resting position for your hands is not flat. If you relax your hands, your fingers are slightly curled. Holding your hands out flat tensions the palms. That produces a particular sensation, but we never really think about it. If you just do that by yourself then you disregard the sensation, but if someone makes your hold your hand flat near something, then they plant the subconscious notion that something's going to happen and the juxtaposition is going to be the cause.

Last edited by Jack by the hedge; 30th October 2012 at 11:31 AM.
Old 30th October 2012, 11:31 AM   #14
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

It's worth noting that Reiki is a non-theistic practice, regardless, regarding your reference to some form of "God."

I've actually taken a course for Reiki, supplemental to massage therapy courses, and... my verdict is that much, if not most, Reiki practiced and the effects of such could be loosely attributed to the placebo effect. Also of note, there are quite a few similar practices that are not considered Reiki, (ETA: ) and that your description of the event in question does not actually point at Reiki.

Before going further, though... I'm curious about whether you would be willing to divulge more details on the meeting in question.

Edit: Looks like you have provided more details, and I'd like to add that a static electricity feeling isn't usually associated with Reiki, in my experience, on top of the purpose and methodology being a bit different.

Last edited by Aridas; 30th October 2012 at 11:57 AM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2012, 11:41 AM   #15
Deranged
Thinker

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
It's worth noting that Reiki is a non-theistic practice, regardless, regarding your reference to some form of "God."

I've actually taken a course for Reiki, supplemental to massage therapy courses, and... my verdict is that much, if not most, Reiki practiced and the effects of such could be loosely attributed to the placebo effect. Also of note, there are quite a few similar practices that are not considered Reiki, and that your description of the event in question does not actually point at Reiki.

Before going further, though... I'm curious about whether you would be willing to divulge more details on the meeting in question.
Of course I'd be happy to "divulge" or however it's spelled anything you'd like to hear. I have nothing to hide about it . One thing I failed to mention is she charged me. No particular fee, she just kept holding her hand out so we walked off.
Old 30th October 2012, 11:46 AM   #16
Deranged
Thinker

I'm not suggesting she actually tickled you. I'm just suggesting the tantalising feeling was partly from your imagination.

Don't forget that the resting position for your hands is not flat. If you relax your hands, your fingers are slightly curled. Holding your hands out flat tensions the palms. That produces a particular sensation, but we never really think about it. If you just do that by yourself then you disregard the sensation, but if someone makes your hold your hand flat near something, then they plant the subconscious notion that something's going to happen and the juxtaposition is going to be the cause.
No, no. And no. This was not some single little twitch. It was a SHOWER of static electricity that continued = but for some reason, it didn't hurt at all. I'm very jumpy if I receive one shock from, say, carpet to metal but this was neither calming nor alarming. It was simply amazing.
I'm used to skeptics on this on those very rare occasions that I bring it up. Which is one reason I almost never mention it like I don't usually speak of the scent of the dead experiences. People just don't believe it unless it can be scientifically proven.
Old 30th October 2012, 11:52 AM   #17
Deranged
Thinker

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
Well, there's no such thing as a Reiki master, so there's that. Next, your mind can do amazing things like impart sensations that aren't really there, or fashion a memory unconsciously.

Do you really think you're a "healer" or do you think you just liked hearing that?
No; I have no experience with or expectations of healing anyone. She could have been wanting to make me "feel good" by saying it. I'll never know. I was skeptical of the remark, actually.
Old 30th October 2012, 12:03 PM   #18
kerikiwi
Philosopher

I had no expectation of anything. She said "hold your hands above mine face down" and I simply complied. I can't envision anyone thinking , "I'm going to feel something now!" I've read Reiki Masters can do this but only recently after hearing of it from Facebook.
So what did you think was the point of holding your hands above hers?
Just striking a pretty pose?
kerikiwi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2012, 12:08 PM   #19
carlitos
"más divertido"

It's not clear why it matters that you were agnostic, nor what "Reiki" has to do with this?
carlitos is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2012, 12:10 PM   #20
Deranged
Thinker

Originally Posted by kerikiwi View Post
So what did you think was the point of holding your hands above hers?
Just striking a pretty pose?
What did I think was the purpose. That's a good question. I might have very briefly thought , "why is she asking me to do this?" Can you imagine a woman from the UK , on a stool in the center of Mallory Square at dusk, saying, "put your hands above mine" and stopping to analyze her directive? Or even asking, "no; I want to know WHY you want me to do it." In my opinion, 99% of people would have just done it. She didn't ask me to do anything embarrassing. It was a loose, party atmosphere.
Old 30th October 2012, 12:11 PM   #21
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Of course I'd be happy to "divulge" or however it's spelled anything you'd like to hear. I have nothing to hide about it . One thing I failed to mention is she charged me. No particular fee, she just kept holding her hand out so we walked off.
Since you answered before I finished the edit of my post... Two main comments.

1) Your description of the event in question, in your posts after the OP, does not actually point at Reiki as a likely form of energy manipulation that would have been used.

2) Static electricity either as static electricity or as a feeling of such, isn't usually associated with Reiki, in my experience.

Last edited by Aridas; 30th October 2012 at 12:16 PM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2012, 12:15 PM   #22
Resume
Penultimate Amazing

Lot's of stuff available around Mallory; didn't happen to indulge at all, did you?
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2012, 12:20 PM   #23
Deranged
Thinker

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
Since you answered before I finished the edit of my post... Two main comments.

1) Your description of the event in question, in your posts after the OP, does not actually point at Reiki as a likely form of energy manipulation that would have been used.

2) Static electricity either as static electricity or as a feeling of such, isn't usually associated with Reiki, in my experience.
ok; thank you. I really thought Reiki people used their hands. That is, since this morning when I got a tip about it on Facebook.
Old 30th October 2012, 12:22 PM   #24
Deranged
Thinker

Lot's of stuff available around Mallory; didn't happen to indulge at all, did you?
I had one small Margarita but I was sober. You think I was drunk? haha!! I'm so discouraged. I really thought JREF would tell me what happened to me.
Old 30th October 2012, 12:24 PM   #25
carlitos
"más divertido"

carlitos is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2012, 12:31 PM   #26
Deranged
Thinker

"your description of the event in question does not actually point at Reiki."
Look at www.heartofhealing.net and you will see many who wish to take a course in Reiki in order to heal with their hands. Have you ever met a Reiki practitioner who told you, "we do not use our hands in healing." You never will. This does not imply, however, that I intend on taking a course in anything whatsoever.
Old 30th October 2012, 12:33 PM   #27
Deranged
Thinker

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Cute but that is ONE shock that would make me JUMP! This was a shower of ... something. Painless electricity flowing continually.
Old 30th October 2012, 12:48 PM   #28
Professor Yaffle
Butterbeans and Breadcrumbs

I've just head my hands out flat, and felt a tingling sensation in my palms, followed by a soft, cushioning feeling - as if i were holding cotton wool. If someone were holding their hands above mine, I'm sure it would very much feel like they were passing energy to me or something like that.
Professor Yaffle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2012, 12:59 PM   #29
Deranged
Thinker

Originally Posted by Professor Yaffle View Post
I've just head my hands out flat, and felt a tingling sensation in my palms, followed by a soft, cushioning feeling - as if i were holding cotton wool. If someone were holding their hands above mine, I'm sure it would very much feel like they were passing energy to me or something like that.
If someone were holding their hands above mine, I'm sure it would very much feel like they were passing energy to me or something like that." Really? I wouldn't. This was not a "feel like" situation. This was dynamite!
Old 30th October 2012, 01:00 PM   #30
Resume
Penultimate Amazing

If someone were holding their hands above mine, I'm sure it would very much feel like they were passing energy to me or something like that." Really? I wouldn't. This was not a "feel like" situation. This was dynamite!
Old 30th October 2012, 01:02 PM   #31
Resume
Penultimate Amazing

I had one small Margarita but I was sober. You think I was drunk? haha!! I'm so discouraged. I really thought JREF would tell me what happened to me.
You've rejected all the suggestions so far.
Old 30th October 2012, 01:08 PM   #32
Deranged
Thinker

You've rejected all the suggestions so far.
Yes; well, I have half my hands anyway. I guess we've raked this over enough? lol
Old 30th October 2012, 01:09 PM   #33
jdc324
Muse

I've just tried it and I get a tingling sensation in my palms and wrists. Works whether it's palms up or palms down for me.
Old 30th October 2012, 01:17 PM   #34
Deranged
Thinker

Originally Posted by jdc324 View Post
I've just tried it and I get a tingling sensation in my palms and wrists. Works whether it's palms up or palms down for me.
First time you've tried it at your age? Odd. Well, you'll recover from the shock just fine. Then you can begin your research on what the heck happened!!
It is quite obvious that not one person on here has captured just how strong and surprising this was. And that's alright; I'm not surprised. Since it is so unbelievable, I realize just how special it was. How rare.
Resume the joking.
Old 30th October 2012, 01:23 PM   #35
Resume
Penultimate Amazing

Resume the joking.
What about the joking?
Old 30th October 2012, 01:27 PM   #36
Professor Yaffle

First time you've tried it at your age? Odd. Well, you'll recover from the shock just fine. Then you can begin your research on what the heck happened!!
It is quite obvious that not one person on here has captured just how strong and surprising this was. And that's alright; I'm not surprised. Since it is so unbelievable, I realize just how special it was. How rare.
Resume the joking.
It must have been magic then.
Professor Yaffle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2012, 01:29 PM   #37
Professor Yaffle

PS is ex-agnostic the new code for "I used to be a skeptic, but...."?
Old 30th October 2012, 01:30 PM   #38
Deranged
Thinker

What about the joking?
You are very smart !! Really !!
Old 30th October 2012, 01:32 PM   #39
Deranged
Thinker

It must have been magic then.
I don't see magic. Therefore it can't exist.
Old 30th October 2012, 01:33 PM   #40
Deranged
Thinker

PS is ex-agnostic the new code for "I used to be a skeptic, but...."?
No; it just means I now believe in an indescribable, invisible, silent supreme being. Very unscientific of me, I know.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal