ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 30th October 2012, 01:33 PM   #41
sophia8
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Deranged View Post
First time you've tried it at your age? Odd. Well, you'll recover from the shock just fine. Then you can begin your research on what the heck happened!!
It is quite obvious that not one person on here has captured just how strong and surprising this was. And that's alright; I'm not surprised. Since it is so unbelievable, I realize just how special it was. How rare.
Resume the joking.
I've just tried that as well and got the same sensation; it's not static electricity but it does feels quite strange. If I move my hands up and down, it feels like I have a soft column of ...something attached to my palms. If it happened all of a sudden, with somebody you'd just met in the street and you weren't expecting it - well, it would feel even stranger, due to the sheer suddenness (and maybe the attractiveness of this woman? I can see how this could be used as a pickup line....)

Have you tried it for yourself?
"Nature is floods and famines and earthquakes and viruses and little blue-footed booby babies getting their brains pecked out by their stronger siblings! ....Nature doesn't care about me, or about anybody in particular - nature can be terrifying! Why do they even put words like 'natural' on products like shampoo, like it's automatically a good thing? I mean, sulfuric acid is natural!" -Julia Sweeney
sophia8 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2012, 01:34 PM   #42
Madalch
The Jester

I don't see magic. Therefore it can't exist.
Well, if you're going to eliminate all the rational explanations, then you'll just have to accept an irrational one.
Old 30th October 2012, 01:48 PM   #43
jasonpatterson
Philanthropic Misanthrope

Your story is that you were exposed to what can only be described as actual magic, you believed it to be such, and you didn't just completely flip your lid and call the press?

This is the problem with so many of these stories. People experience some event that they later say changed their life, and yet at the time they do absolutely nothing about it. You didn't even bother to get her name. I'm not calling you a liar and I don't think that you're trying to deceive us in any way, but can you not see the gigantic hole in this story? Is there no chance that you have retroactively modified it in your memory as a way to account for your changing beliefs?
jasonpatterson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2012, 01:50 PM   #44
carlitos
"más divertido"

Cute but that is ONE shock that would make me JUMP! This was a shower of ... something. Painless electricity flowing continually.
There is painless electricity flowing continually through your hands at all times. I get what you described when a nerve in my shoulder pinches.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2012, 01:52 PM   #45
Deranged
Thinker

Originally Posted by jasonpatterson View Post
Your story is that you were exposed to what can only be described as actual magic, you believed it to be such, and you didn't just completely flip your lid and call the press?

This is the problem with so many of these stories. People experience some event that they later say changed their life, and yet at the time they do absolutely nothing about it. You didn't even bother to get her name. I'm not calling you a liar and I don't think that you're trying to deceive us in any way, but can you not see the gigantic hole in this story? Is there no chance that you have retroactively modified it in your memory as a way to account for your changing beliefs?
Call the press? What? You think they'd care or even believe me?
And what "hole" in the story do you see? I told everything that happened. It was not a miracle but it was miraculous to me. It was really terrific. But yes; I agree totally that for me to have just walked off and stopped thinking about it was , well, Deranged.
Old 30th October 2012, 01:54 PM   #46
Deranged
Thinker

Originally Posted by Madalch View Post
Well, if you're going to eliminate all the rational explanations, then you'll just have to accept an irrational one.
Yes; I guess it was irrational. That's what made it so remarkable!
Old 30th October 2012, 01:55 PM   #47
Professor Yaffle
Butterbeans and Breadcrumbs

Yes; I guess it was irrational. That's what made it so remarkable!
So, magic then!
Professor Yaffle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2012, 02:14 PM   #48
Deranged
Thinker

Originally Posted by Professor Yaffle View Post
So, magic then!
Reiki practitioner or the Supernatural did it. Weird stuff is in my genes.

Last edited by Deranged; 30th October 2012 at 02:16 PM. Reason: word preference
Deranged is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2012, 02:15 PM   #49
Professor Yaffle
Butterbeans and Breadcrumbs

Reiki practitioner or God did it.
Yes, by magic!
Professor Yaffle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2012, 02:33 PM   #50
Sledge
Grammaton Cleric

What did I think was the purpose. That's a good question. I might have very briefly thought , "why is she asking me to do this?" Can you imagine a woman from the UK , on a stool in the center of Mallory Square at dusk, saying, "put your hands above mine" and stopping to analyze her directive? Or even asking, "no; I want to know WHY you want me to do it." In my opinion, 99% of people would have just done it. She didn't ask me to do anything embarrassing. It was a loose, party atmosphere.
I seriously doubt that.

"Science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it would stop" ~ Dara O'Briain.
Sledge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2012, 02:35 PM   #51
Resume
Penultimate Amazing

Wait wait!

You were playing the congas with the rest of the loafers on the pier and your hands went numb!

No charge!
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2012, 02:38 PM   #52
cosmicaug
Muse

Originally Posted by Madalch View Post
Not really. You can also accept that you don't have an explanation. "I don't know" can be the best answer sometimes.
cosmicaug is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2012, 02:42 PM   #53
cosmicaug
Muse

Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
What did I think was the purpose. That's a good question. I might have very briefly thought , "why is she asking me to do this?" Can you imagine a woman from the UK , on a stool in the center of Mallory Square at dusk, saying, "put your hands above mine" and stopping to analyze her directive? Or even asking, "no; I want to know WHY you want me to do it." In my opinion, 99% of people would have just done it. She didn't ask me to do anything embarrassing. It was a loose, party atmosphere.
I seriously doubt that.
99% of people would expect that this woman would not have asked them to do this for absolutely no reason.
cosmicaug is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2012, 03:11 PM   #54
Hokulele
Official Nemesis

One anecdote like this really isn't enough to claim for sure what happened, but my guess is that she had some sort of device that created the sensation, probably using static electricity.

The fact that she acted like she expected a tip or other form of payment is what raises my suspicions that this was mechanical, not magical. She was merely a performer, Mallory Square is pretty much set up specifically for them, and you didn't hold up your end, as an appreciative audience would.

- Tragic Monkey
Hokulele is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2012, 03:19 PM   #55
Lanzy
Muse

I was in Key West, I was approaced twice by fakes that wanted something from me and might have tried to prove something but I laughed and went to watch the trained dogs.
Lanzy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2012, 03:26 PM   #56
tsig
a carbon based life-form

I had one small Margarita but I was sober. You think I was drunk? haha!! I'm so discouraged. I really thought JREF would tell me what happened to me.
I believe you're overestimating our psychic powers.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2012, 03:29 PM   #57
tsig
a carbon based life-form

No; it just means I now believe in an indescribable, invisible, silent supreme being. Very unscientific of me, I know.
So after you got your magic hand job you saw god?

Last edited by tsig; 30th October 2012 at 03:31 PM. Reason: >magic<
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2012, 03:36 PM   #58
LandR
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by tsig View Post
So after you got your magic hand job you saw god?
No she smelt it.
LandR is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2012, 04:59 PM   #59
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

ok; thank you. I really thought Reiki people used their hands. That is, since this morning when I got a tip about it on Facebook.
Generally yes. There is "distance healing" dealt with at higher levels of Reiki, but, generally speaking, it's not done in the manner that you describe, at all.

"your description of the event in question does not actually point at Reiki."
Look at www.heartofhealing.net and you will see many who wish to take a course in Reiki in order to heal with their hands. Have you ever met a Reiki practitioner who told you, "we do not use our hands in healing." You never will. This does not imply, however, that I intend on taking a course in anything whatsoever.
There are a number of other energy-based healing or manipulation systems out there, some of which, assuming that they're not frauds, by their nature would be more likely candidates, not counting the... many individuals that claim abilities to do similar without any formal training or name for what they claim to be able to do.

No; it just means I now believe in an indescribable, invisible, silent supreme being. Very unscientific of me, I know.
Which is not all that relevant, I think, to the topic that you're trying to deal with here, unless you were secretly trying to convert non-believers with this topic, as many have in the past.

That said, I, at least, really don't care what a person believes, so long as they don't try to use bad arguments to support whatever position is in question.

ETA:

I had one small Margarita but I was sober. You think I was drunk? haha!! I'm so discouraged. I really thought JREF would tell me what happened to me.
There's really just not enough information to really tell. For example,

Originally Posted by Hokulele View Post
One anecdote like this really isn't enough to claim for sure what happened, but my guess is that she had some sort of device that created the sensation, probably using static electricity.

The fact that she acted like she expected a tip or other form of payment is what raises my suspicions that this was mechanical, not magical. She was merely a performer, Mallory Square is pretty much set up specifically for them, and you didn't hold up your end, as an appreciative audience would.
Realistically speaking, this is a completely reasonable explanation that may well be the case, but there's no way to really tell given the information at our disposal.

Last edited by Aridas; 30th October 2012 at 05:06 PM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2012, 06:02 PM   #60
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Tingly hands, therefore supreme being.

Yeah, I'm forced to agree that's pretty unscientific. In fact it's rather a long stretch beyond that. Even as wishful thinking it's a bit of a non sequitur.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2012, 06:09 PM   #61
Sledge
Grammaton Cleric

I get irritable bowel syndrome, therefore Satan is real.

"Science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it would stop" ~ Dara O'Briain.
Sledge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2012, 09:29 AM   #62
Deranged
Thinker

Originally Posted by cosmicaug View Post
99% of people would expect that this woman would not have asked them to do this for absolutely no reason.
Good point. I hadn't thought how many others she had told to do the hand thing. I took it for granted that everyone had been asked. Maybe not.
Old 31st October 2012, 09:31 AM   #63
Deranged
Thinker

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
Tingly hands, therefore supreme being.

Yeah, I'm forced to agree that's pretty unscientific. In fact it's rather a long stretch beyond that. Even as wishful thinking it's a bit of a non sequitur.
I suppose you're right...
Old 31st October 2012, 09:33 AM   #64
Deranged
Thinker

Originally Posted by LandR View Post
No she smelt it.
Funny.
Old 31st October 2012, 09:41 AM   #65
carlitos
"más divertido"

She who smelt it, dealt it.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2012, 12:19 PM   #66
Sledge
Grammaton Cleric

Good point. I hadn't thought how many others she had told to do the hand thing. I took it for granted that everyone had been asked. Maybe not.
That isn't the point that was made. Do you have reading comprehension problems?

Old 31st October 2012, 03:50 PM   #67
Jodie
Master Poster

I don't know if this is related to Reike, or not, but it sounds similar.I used to use a technique during non medicated deliveries to decrease anxiety. I had the partner barely run their fingers above the laboring woman's abdomen slowly removing pressure, or doing the same for back labor. They loved it. It also works great when you aren't in labor, have had a stressful day at work, and just need to relax.
Old 31st October 2012, 03:58 PM   #68
Scoot Meevo
Scholar

When I was Agnostic I ran into a lady in Key West . I knew nothing at all about Reiki and didn't understand what had happened.
She told me to hold my hands six inches over her upturned hands and right away I felt static electricity flowing from her hands to mine and I said, "what is THAT?" Soon, we walked off. This was in Mallory Square. It wasn't something most people could deny or forget about.
What do you think of Reiki ? Was it something else? She never mentioned God.

My suspicion is that she was really a Jedi Master and what you felt was 'The Force'.
Scoot Meevo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2012, 04:08 PM   #69
StankApe
Banned

I used to do this trick at parties when i wanted to flirt with an attractive girl. (read about it in a book yeaaaars ago)

What it is , is that you have them focus on their energy, then you put up your hands, you tell them to put their hands palm down. Then you say "do you feel it?" the feel the blood moving through their hands and nearly always say "YES!!"

it's an old timey conjurors trick. seriously the book i read it in was written in like the 20's
StankApe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2012, 04:10 PM   #70
Resume
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by StankApe View Post
I used to do this trick at parties when i wanted to flirt with an attractive girl. (read about it in a book yeaaaars ago)

What it is , is that you have them focus on their energy, then you put up your hands, you tell them to put their hands palm down. Then you say "do you feel it?" the feel the blood moving through their hands and nearly always say "YES!!"

it's an old timey conjurors trick. seriously the book i read it in was written in like the 20's
How long do the hands need to be held up?
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2012, 04:22 PM   #71
StankApe
Banned

if I recall correctly (and you can do this yourself at your keyboard at home) they said you have them place their hands by their side (unless they are already there) while you start the spiel then have you wife or someone nearby put their palms face up, then turn your palms face down over theirs and focus on how your hands feel.

you almost always feel something radiating from your hands, i reckon it's blood moving around and/or body heat
StankApe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2012, 05:25 PM   #72
Aridas

Originally Posted by Jodie View Post
I don't know if this is related to Reike, or not, but it sounds similar.I used to use a technique during non medicated deliveries to decrease anxiety. I had the partner barely run their fingers above the laboring woman's abdomen slowly removing pressure, or doing the same for back labor. They loved it. It also works great when you aren't in labor, have had a stressful day at work, and just need to relax.
Barely. Gentle, friendly touch can be a fine way to help a receptive person relax when they desire to do so, regardless of the form it takes. During non-mediated deliveries, for example, I would think that, at the very least, that it gives the woman a much, much less painful alternative to focus upon, which certainly reduces the subjective intensity of the pain.

Reiki, however, in theory, is all about restoring a healthy flow and balance of energy, which likely is nothing like what you've described.
Old 31st October 2012, 05:33 PM   #73
Squeegee Beckenheim
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
There are a number of other energy-based healing or manipulation systems out there, some of which, assuming that they're not frauds, by their nature would be more likely candidates, not counting the... many individuals that claim abilities to do similar without any formal training or name for what they claim to be able to do.
Can you define the word "energy" in the context of this sentence?
Old 31st October 2012, 05:44 PM   #74
mutile
Muse

Call the press? What? You think they'd care or even believe me?
Good point, in my experience the press has zero interest in the paranormal.
mutile is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2012, 05:47 PM   #75
Deranged
Thinker

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
I'd like to know more about this. It makes me feel there is an explanation for the shower of what I call static electricity . I can't think of any other word for it but it had no pain involved and was quite strong. Thank you.
Old 31st October 2012, 06:24 PM   #76
Deranged
Thinker

"I doubt that." I am positive that when people have walked up to a woman on a stool in Key West to see what she has to say and she quietly says, "hold your hands above mine' they would do it without hesitation. Are you that suspicious and uptight?
Old 31st October 2012, 06:27 PM   #77
Deranged
Thinker

Originally Posted by StankApe View Post
if I recall correctly (and you can do this yourself at your keyboard at home) they said you have them place their hands by their side (unless they are already there) while you start the spiel then have you wife or someone nearby put their palms face up, then turn your palms face down over theirs and focus on how your hands feel.

you almost always feel something radiating from your hands, i reckon it's blood moving around and/or body heat
That weak feeling is like comparing a tornado to a slight breeze. It is barely felt. This was so strong I'm surprised it didn't make noise.
Old 31st October 2012, 06:29 PM   #78
Deranged
Thinker

Originally Posted by mutile View Post
Good point, in my experience the press has zero interest in the paranormal.
Should I have called The Sun? You know; those tacky scandal sheets? Think they would have flown down from NY or California to Key West for a sample? zzzzz....
Old 31st October 2012, 06:39 PM   #79
Aridas

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
There is no firm definition, given that it's used as something of a catch-all for a number of somewhat similar concepts. However, Wiki has a decent description. For a more specific example of the concepts included, Qi works.
Old 31st October 2012, 08:37 PM   #80
StankApe
Banned

she might have had her foot on a battery , it's obviously some good old fashioned magic trick

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal