ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 4th November 2012, 12:50 PM   #1
JoeBentley
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Pack of African painted dogs kill 3 year old at Pittsburgh Zoo.

CNN: http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/11/04...ild/?hpt=hp_t4

Quote:
A group of African painted dogs killed a boy who fell into their exhibit today at the Pittsburgh Zoo.
JoeBentley is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2012, 01:06 PM   #2
Vortigern99
Philosopher

He "fell off an observation deck that's about 14 feet above the exhibit," she said, "and was killed by the dogs."
How did he fall off? What kind of railing is there to keep small children from slipping through bars? What exactly occurred here? The article doesn't give enough details.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." -- Jimi Hendrix
Vortigern99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2012, 02:32 PM   #3
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

The boy probably climbed over the fence. I would like to know what sort of fence they did have that allowed for this accident to happen.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2012, 03:10 PM   #4
Rat
Not bored. Never bored.

At all the zoos that I go to, the parents lift up their children and stand them on the safety rails or fences. Not necessarily saying that's what happened here, but it worries me every time I see it.
Rat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2012, 03:16 PM   #5
Halfcentaur
Philosopher

This is a terrible thing, but it's a shame things like this cause people to say such moronic crap as they desperately try to blame and claim what they would do in the situation and why the parents deserve to die or be imprisoned. People seem to just hate the idea that accidents can happen.

I truly hope the zoo had an adequately secure enclosure and this is a case of a tenaciously curious and daring boy doing something unusual in a moment without supervision.

My older brother climbed into the grizzly bear closure apparently when he was 4 at the zoo. Luckily the bear just stared at him and didn't feel like sitting up.
Halfcentaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2012, 03:24 PM   #6
JoeBentley
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I have not been to the Pittsburgh Zoo specifically, but I honestly can't remember the last time I went to a major zoo that was setup in such a way that you could really "fall in" to an animal enclosure on "accident."
JoeBentley is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2012, 05:11 PM   #7
bookworm
Muse

I've been to the Pittsburgh zoo. I remember this exhibit. There is an observation deck with a net spread underneath but at the time I still thought the ground seemed a little too close for comfort. It seems that the mother was holding him on top of the railing and he fell. I can see how he would have rolled off of the net. This is unimaginably horrible. I really feel that these exhibits should be made with NO POSSIBILITY of someone getting in there.
bookworm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2012, 05:17 PM   #8
korenyx
Muse

Originally Posted by JoeBentley View Post
I have not been to the Pittsburgh Zoo specifically, but I honestly can't remember the last time I went to a major zoo that was setup in such a way that you could really "fall in" to an animal enclosure on "accident."
The Sedgwick Country Zoo (www.scz.org) changed the Amur Leopard exhibit after a kid on a school trip almost got his face ripped off. He ducked under the bars on top of the four foot high barrier, climbed the barrier and crossed about 20 feet of ground.
He got too close to the cage; she grabbed his head with her claws and tried to bite him. A male visitor got the kid away from the leopard.

The exhibit has now been changed and the new fence is harder to climb.

After this happened the public schools decided to tell students that wild animals are dangerous! Who knew?

P. S. Everyone I talked to afterwards blamed the kid for ignoring the signs and climbing the barrier.
The leopard was put back on display after her cage was fixed.
korenyx is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2012, 05:28 PM   #9
bookworm
Muse

Originally Posted by korenyx View Post
The Sedgwick Country Zoo (www.scz.org) changed the Amur Leopard exhibit after a kid on a school trip almost got his face ripped off. He ducked under the bars on top of the four foot high barrier, climbed the barrier and crossed about 20 feet of ground.
He got too close to the cage; she grabbed his head with her claws and tried to bite him. A male visitor got the kid away from the leopard.

The exhibit has now been changed and the new fence is harder to climb.

After this happened the public schools decided to tell students that wild animals are dangerous! Who knew?

P. S. Everyone I talked to afterwards blamed the kid for ignoring the signs and climbing the barrier.
The leopard was put back on display after her cage was fixed.
The thing is that kids do these kinds of things because it's what kids do. There should be no way a kid can get in a dangerous animal's exhibit.
bookworm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2012, 05:46 PM   #10
korenyx
Muse

Originally Posted by bookworm View Post
The thing is that kids do these kinds of things because it's what kids do. There should be no way a kid can get in a dangerous animal's exhibit.
No one had done it before so maybe the zoo thought no one could.
I still blame the kid; he could read and he was old enough to know better. I also blame the teacher for not keeping better track of him.

Last edited by korenyx; 4th November 2012 at 05:49 PM.
korenyx is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2012, 06:00 PM   #11
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

While my heart goes out to this mom, how anyone could let a 2 or 3 yr old slip off a railing like that is mind boggling. If you're going to put the kid up there, you only do it with a really firm grip.

And dogs or not, if that were my kid, I'd have jumped in right behind him.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 4th November 2012 at 06:01 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2012, 06:05 PM   #12
Denver
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
While my heart goes out to this mom, how anyone could let a 2 or 3 yr old slip off a railing like that is mind boggling. If you're going to put the kid up there, you only do it with a really firm grip.

It's terrible to imagine the horror of a parent having to witness this.

ETA: It's possible the fall killed the kid. I hope that was the case.

Last edited by Denver; 4th November 2012 at 06:11 PM.
Denver is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2012, 06:15 PM   #13
smartcooky
Master Poster

Why would you even put the kid up there in the first place? the barriers are there to separate people from danger, not for stupid parents to perch their children on.

How long will it be before someone plunges 500 feet to their death off the Grand Canyon Skywalk?

We can make all the "safety" designs we like for these kinds of things, but we cannot be 100% sure of protecting people from their own (or their parents) stupidity.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2012, 06:28 PM   #14
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

There should be criminal charges on the parent who put the kid up there.

African wild dogs are nasty nasty nasty, basically eat their prey to death.
WildCat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2012, 06:31 PM   #15
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by WildCat View Post
There should be criminal charges on the parent who put the kid up there....
Why? Because a fine or a few months in jail must be added to their already horrific pain?

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 4th November 2012 at 07:43 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2012, 07:29 PM   #16
Pulvinar
Graduate Poster

When they're done fixing that enclosure they should take a look outside: there are parents walking their kids down sidewalks! Next to speeding cars!! With no barriers!!!
Pulvinar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2012, 07:33 PM   #17
EventHorizon
Atheist Tergiversator

Originally Posted by Pulvinar View Post
When they're done fixing that enclosure they should take a look outside: there are parents walking their kids down sidewalks! Next to speeding cars!! With no barriers!!!
That's a good point but going back to the original story, I wanna know what PETA's reaction will be when they find out people are painting dogs!
Old 4th November 2012, 07:35 PM   #18
RedRatSnake
Slithering Through life

You bet your ass i would have, I don't know the facts of the case but it seems like the logical thing to have done.
RedRatSnake is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2012, 08:06 PM   #19
TheShadow
Scholar

I just want to know why they couldnt have been Australian wild dogs....

Then i could finally say " a dingo ate her baby" and have it be true....

Yes, I'm well aware of my tasteless and dark sense of humor.

I would apologize, but I have little sympathy for stupid people. If you're going to hold your child on top of a railing (which i'd never do), then you'd damn welll better make sure you have a firm grip on him/her.
TheShadow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2012, 08:12 PM   #20
Hallo Alfie
Banned

Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I just want to know why they couldnt have been Australian wild dogs....

Then i could finally say " a dingo ate her baby" and have it be true....
It actually was true that Azaria Chamberlain was teken by a dingo. The coroner cleared her (formerly) earlier this year.
http://tv.ibtimes.com/lindy-chamberl...lled-baby-4755

Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I would apologize, but I have little sympathy for stupid people. If you're going to hold your child on top of a railing (which i'd never do), then you'd damn welll better make sure you have a firm grip on him/her.
Exactly, tugs of war with wild dogs over a baby can be messy; one needs a strong grip.
Hallo Alfie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2012, 08:14 PM   #21
JoeBentley
Self Employed
Remittance Man

If they want to make exhibits more secure they could put dangerous animals in them that would attack people that enter.

Part of the way they make these exhibits secure is to post rules as to what you can and can't do around the exhibits. It's a nice idea to go "Make it impossible to get in them!" but that's not reasonable. You can't expect a zoo to keep people out of an exhibit in they are intent upon breaking the rules put in place to keep them out of the exhibit.

Something happening because someone didn't follow the rules isn't a design flaw in the exhibit.

It's terrible that a perfectly innocent child is the one that paid the price for this, but it's not the zoo's fault from the scenario we're being given. (I off course retain the right to modify this as new information is presented in this story.)
Old 4th November 2012, 08:25 PM   #22
RedRatSnake
Slithering Through life

Some new Info.

PITTSBURGH (AP) — A 2-year-old boy visiting the Pittsburgh zoo was killed Sunday when he fell off a railing that his mother had put him on top of to view a pack of African painted dogs, who pounced on the child and mauled him, police said.

It was not clear whether the boy died from the 11-foot fall into the wild dog exhibit area or from the attack, said Barbara Baker, president and CEO of the Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium.

"It was very horrific," said Lt. Kevin Kraus of the Pittsburgh police, who added that the dogs attacked "immediately" after the boy's fall.

When the boy fell, other visitors immediately told staff members, who responded along with Pittsburgh police. Zookeepers called off some of the dogs, and seven of them immediately went to a back building. Three more eventually were drawn away from the child, but the last dog was aggressive and police had to shoot the animal, officials say.

http://news.yahoo.com/2-old-boy-kill...234149458.html
RedRatSnake is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2012, 08:28 PM   #23
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Why? Because a fine or a few months in jail must be added to their already horrific pain?
Would you feel the same if the parent had killed the kid driving drunk? Left a loaded gun in the crib?
WildCat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2012, 08:40 PM   #24
mikedenk
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Why would you even put the kid up there in the first place? the barriers are there to separate people from danger, not for stupid parents to perch their children on.

How long will it be before someone plunges 500 feet to their death off the Grand Canyon Skywalk?

We can make all the "safety" designs we like for these kinds of things, but we cannot be 100% sure of protecting people from their own (or their parents) stupidity.

QFT.

Regardless, the zoo will probably be sued into oblivion.
mikedenk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2012, 10:48 PM   #25
kerikiwi
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Hallo Alfie View Post
...The coroner cleared her (formerly) earlier this year.
And latterly? Has she been uncleared?
kerikiwi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2012, 10:59 PM   #26
Hallo Alfie
Banned

Originally Posted by kerikiwi View Post
And latterly? Has she been uncleared?
LOL

whoops
Hallo Alfie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2012, 12:46 AM   #27
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

There is a crocodile enclosure I visited once. You could easily lean over the top of the rail and look down at the crocodile. There was a notice that said if you fell in and the fall did not kill you then the crocodile would!

The trouble with putting a high fence in so that parents cannot put their children on top is that the fence ruins the view for the rest of us.

I think any parent whose child dies from the parent's own stupidity should not be allowed to have any more children.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2012, 12:56 AM   #28
Caper
Illuminator

There should be criminal charges on the parent who put the kid up there.

Would you feel the same if the parent had killed the kid driving drunk? Left a loaded gun in the crib?

I wouldn't say that is akin to leaving a gun in the crib. Maybe akin to leaving a gun on a table and having a kid find it and shoot himself. I can't see how society or anyone else is served by punishing this women. If it were me.... I would want to put a bullet in my head. She may never live another happy day in her life....... that's punishment enough.
Caper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2012, 01:06 AM   #29
Caper
Illuminator

I am also surprised the mother didn't jump in after her son..... I really can't think of many parents that wouldn't have done it.
Caper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2012, 01:09 AM   #30
truethat
Penultimate Amazing

I would imagine I'd have jumped after him as well.

― Julie Rugg, A Book Addict's Treasury
truethat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2012, 01:18 AM   #31
TheShadow
Scholar

Originally Posted by EventHorizon View Post
That's a good point but going back to the original story, I wanna know what PETA's reaction will be when they find out people are painting dogs!
Just wanted to thank you for that... got a nice laugh from it.

I needed it tonight....
TheShadow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2012, 01:21 AM   #32
smartcooky
Master Poster

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
The trouble with putting a high fence in so that parents cannot put their children on top is that the fence ruins the view for the rest of us.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2012, 01:39 AM   #33
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Very hard to take decent pictures through glass. Glass gets dirty easily and also reflections light.
Old 5th November 2012, 02:51 AM   #34
smartcooky
Master Poster

Very hard to take decent pictures through glass. Glass gets dirty easily and also reflections light.
Here's a couple of tips for you.
1. Make sure your flash is turned off - it's this flash mode on your camera .

2. Rest the front end of the camera lens (carefully) right against the glass.

You will not see a reflection, and any dirt or marks on the glass will be far enough away from the autofocus range of your camera that they will;
(a) not cause the autofocus to to seek or lock onto them, and
(b) be out of focus so that you won't see them.

Unless you are a professional photographer, you will never be able to tell the difference.
Old 5th November 2012, 05:11 AM   #35
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

Originally Posted by Slocie's View Post
You bet your ass i would have, I don't know the facts of the case but it seems like the logical thing to have done.
Certainly several humans would scare off the dogs.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2012, 06:48 AM   #36
angrysoba
Philosophile

Terrible story. Not much to learn from it.
angrysoba is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2012, 06:59 AM   #37
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Originally Posted by Caper View Post
I wouldn't say that is akin to leaving a gun in the crib. Maybe akin to leaving a gun on a table and having a kid find it and shoot himself. I can't see how society or anyone else is served by punishing this women. If it were me.... I would want to put a bullet in my head. She may never live another happy day in her life....... that's punishment enough.
So parents who kill their children through their own reckless negligence should never be charged with a crime?
Old 5th November 2012, 07:00 AM   #38
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Even worse is people scratch graffitti in it, and after a few years you can hardly see through it.
Old 5th November 2012, 07:05 AM   #39
svenax
Thinker

Would be even worse if they didn't kill their prey, but just kept nibbling at it, no?
svenax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2012, 07:06 AM   #40
fagin
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Beerina View Post
Certainly several humans would scare off the dogs.
You think? Those things are mean, nasty, vicious, have jaws that crush bone, and hunt in packs.
Think of a pack of pit bulls on steroids.
My kid, maybe, just maybe. Someone else's, no way.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events