ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 12th November 2012, 11:59 AM   #1
Agatha
Winking at the Moon

Cats behind prison bars!

http://omginformation.blogspot.co.uk...murderers.html

Not in this article, but apparently in another one about this program, is the fact that the cats would otherwise have been euthanised if they were not looked after by prisoners.

As the program appears to be helping to humanise some of the worst offenders, and there is measurably less trouble in the prison, I think this is an excellent idea.

Thoughts?
Old 12th November 2012, 01:17 PM   #2
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Similar things have been done in hospitals and probably a few other groups that are confined. Here is a link that shows what is possible http://www.seattlepi.com/lifestyle/h...ic-1220808.php
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2012, 01:23 PM   #3
Alt+F4
diabolical globalist

There was a large pet program at the nursing home where my dad died (no, none of the pets did it). The cats seem well taken care of, the prisoners seem calmer which makes the staff's jobs easier. I think it's a good idea.
Old 12th November 2012, 02:27 PM   #4
commandlinegamer
Philosopher

Likes this.
Old 12th November 2012, 03:51 PM   #5
Niggle
Basement Cat's
Evil Twin Skippy

There's a prison where the inmates train horses, mostly mustangs that were rounded up and would otherwise be shot. I know of another where the inmates train dogs that would otherwise be euthanized to be good canine citizens so they can be adopted.

I think this is a great idea.

-Remirol
Niggle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2012, 03:52 PM   #6
Morrigan
Crone of War

That's a beautiful story. Thanks for sharing! Seems like a great and actually effective rehabilitation program.
Morrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2012, 04:05 PM   #7
Bell
beautiful freak

Yes, thanks for sharing. Nice and touching story.

INY
You gotta love cops.
Bell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2012, 07:21 PM   #8
LashL
Goddess of Legaltainment™
Administrator

Excellent, indeed.

Let me add my "thanks for sharing this story" here, Agatha.
LashL is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2012, 07:27 PM   #9
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

It's about time. Those danged cats were terrorizing the place! Menace to soci....oh, I see.

Yeah, that's good, too.

But seriously, I actually am very much a cat person. As for whether or not it's a good idea, it seems like it ought to be. I can't honestly pretend to know what, if anything, would "work", but I can't think of anything bad that could happen as a result, and I can think of some good things that might happen, so count me in on cats.

"Mead is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -very similar to something said by Ben Franklin
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2012, 08:00 PM   #10
BStrong
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Agatha View Post
http://omginformation.blogspot.co.uk...murderers.html

Not in this article, but apparently in another one about this program, is the fact that the cats would otherwise have been euthanised if they were not looked after by prisoners.

As the program appears to be helping to humanise some of the worst offenders, and there is measurably less trouble in the prison, I think this is an excellent idea.

Thoughts?
I have no issue with such programs, and they seem to be wide spread and good for the inmates and the animals.

http://prisondogs.blogspot.com/
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2012, 01:47 AM   #11
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
It's about time. Those danged cats were terrorizing the place! Menace to soci....oh, I see.

Yeah, that's good, too.
No, your first instinct was correct!

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/cats_actually_kill
Old 14th November 2012, 02:33 AM   #12
MortFurd
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Alt+F4 View Post
There was a large pet program at the nursing home where my dad died (no, none of the pets did it). The cats seem well taken care of, the prisoners seem calmer which makes the staff's jobs easier. I think it's a good idea.

I hope the folks in the nursing home weren't referred to as prisoners.
MortFurd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2012, 02:34 AM   #13
MortFurd
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post

Yeah, that's good, too.

But seriously, I actually am very much a cat person. As for whether or not it's a good idea, it seems like it ought to be. I can't honestly pretend to know what, if anything, would "work", but I can't think of anything bad that could happen as a result, and I can think of some good things that might happen, so count me in on cats.
Hard core criminals killing cats for ***** and giggles?
MortFurd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2012, 03:02 AM   #14
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

Reading betwen the lines, I think cats are sometimes injured or killed. There was a comment that no prisoner had ever killed his own cat, which suggests that prisoners had killed other people's cats.

Life isn't perfect. Pet cats sometimes come to harm. They are killed and injured on the roads, or by predators, or in household accidents. Cats in the wider community are sometimes killed malciously - I've encountered four cases here in a fairly short space of time (One head smashed in, one kicked in the chest then hung up by the tail, one stabbed in the chest and one strangled/hanged by a ligature.)

It seems to me that this programme comes out way ahead of the game overall, and that occasional bad things happening should not automatically be seen as a reason to stop the whole thing. Indeed, the empathy and sorrow felt by a prisoner over the death of his own cat might be a further positive in the humanising process.

Rolfe.
Old 14th November 2012, 03:03 AM   #15
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

I'm not sure if there any hard evidence for it but I know that my pets are great at getting me to moderate my emotions. When I'm sad they cheer me up. When I'm angry they get me to calm down. When I'm indolent they....uh unindolent me.
Old 14th November 2012, 03:19 AM   #16
Hercules Rockefeller
Woof!

Originally Posted by Niggle View Post
There's a prison where the inmates train horses, mostly mustangs that were rounded up and would otherwise be shot. I know of another where the inmates train dogs that would otherwise be euthanized to be good canine citizens so they can be adopted.

Louisiana Lockdown. Very interesting.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 15th November 2012, 03:02 PM   #17
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
No, your first instinct was correct!

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/cats_actually_kill
Sneaky little critters. I knew they couldn't be trusted.

"Mead is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -very similar to something said by Ben Franklin
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2012, 04:38 PM   #18
Kaylee
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Niggle View Post

Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
I have no issue with such programs, and they seem to be wide spread and good for the inmates and the animals.

http://prisondogs.blogspot.com/
NY has a similar program:

http://www.puppiesbehindbars.com/faq.asp

These puppies spend the first 18 months of their lives being raised and trained by prisoners. They also spend weekends in volunteer's homes and communities to increase their exposure to different kinds of environments. They then get additional training before becoming service dogs for the disabled, or explosive detection canines for law enforcement.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events