ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 12th November 2012, 02:26 PM   #1
Humes fork
Banned

Was my Facebook account hacked or what?

*I almost always clean my Firefox cache and cookies when closing, and for Facebook I have activated the mechanism that sends you an e-mail when someone signs into your account (and also asks you to name the machine).*

So when I signed in on Facebook today, instead of naming the machine I signed in from as usual, I was told that an unidentified machine had (recently, I suppose) signed into my account. The IP of the unidentified machine was the same as my IP, which is rather strange. Still, I responded that I didn't recognize it, and got to change password (about time anyways). After that I was asked to name the machine as usual.

I thought maybe they had tightened security and it didn't quite fit with my cookie and cache cleaning habits. So I signed out, cleaned those, and restarted the computer, and signed in again. No mention of any unidentified machine this time, just the usual asking to name the machine I signed in from.

So what's up with this? Did someone hack my account, or was it just a Facebook fluke? If some stranger signed into my account, shouldn't Facebook drop me an e-mail about it as it usually does whenever it is signed into? If my account is in danger, why doesn't Facebook send me an e-mail straight away instead of telling me only the next time I sign in?
Humes fork is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2012, 05:04 PM   #2
mutile
Muse

Are you using wireless, or sharing a router with any other computers?
mutile is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2012, 06:16 AM   #3
Cuddles
Decoy

Steam and Guild Wars 2 both occasionally decide I'm signing in from a different computer and make me verify that I'm me. Oddly enough Steam didn't seem to notice when I actually did change ISP, and therefore IP address, just recently. So I'd say it's probably just Facebook getting confused.
Old 13th November 2012, 02:05 PM   #4
Humes fork
Banned

Originally Posted by mutile View Post
Are you using wireless, or sharing a router with any other computers?
Yes, I'm om a wireless network together with a few other computers in the house.
Humes fork is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2012, 02:06 PM   #5
Humes fork
Banned

Originally Posted by Cuddles View Post
Steam and Guild Wars 2 both occasionally decide I'm signing in from a different computer and make me verify that I'm me. Oddly enough Steam didn't seem to notice when I actually did change ISP, and therefore IP address, just recently. So I'd say it's probably just Facebook getting confused.
I see. But I haven't changed anything recently.
Old 13th November 2012, 02:24 PM   #6
jj
grumpy old skeptic

Or you cookie-cleaned, and facecrook looks for a one-way encrypted cookie on your machine? Dunno.
Old 17th November 2012, 02:52 PM   #7
Humes fork
Banned

Originally Posted by jj View Post
Or you cookie-cleaned, and facecrook looks for a one-way encrypted cookie on your machine? Dunno.
But I clean cookies and chache almost every time I'm done with the Internet. Certainly before signing in on Facebook and after finishing my session there. I don't trust them one bit on privacy.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet