ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 13th November 2012, 03:45 PM   #1
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Only 36 days until the end of the world

Yep, only 36 days until the dreaded date of December 21, 2012 when the zombie Maya vampire robots rise up from the hallows of Nibiru and wreak havoc with their fear dragons en route to the destruction of humanity in order to fulfill the prophecy of the Old One's. Presumably, somehow, this will all be aided by HAARP and abetted by a conspiracy of Jews bankers.

So how are you going to spend your remaining time until the Pre-Columbian Quickening sucks out your soul? Try to explain to people about how something called calenders are not predictors of future destruction? Ask people how the Mayan's knew about the destruction of humanity but not how to keep their neighbors from invading them?

Hunker down in a basement bunker in order to finally get some use out of the $20,000 in survival equipment you invested in for Y2k? I know at least one woman that will be doing that. She'll show us that all that money blown to survive the computer calamity wasn't, in fact, wasted.

My own question would be: does the destruction start when midnight is hit upon the international date line or does it wait until the date turns locally?
Old 13th November 2012, 03:49 PM   #2
Squeegee Beckenheim
Philosopher

That sucks. I was looking forwards to perving over watching Jenna-Louise Coleman in the Doctor Who Christmas Special.
Squeegee Beckenheim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2012, 03:50 PM   #3
StankApe
Banned

Cthulhu Standard Time , that's what I'm betting on.
StankApe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2012, 04:17 PM   #4
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Can't wait for them to realize how stupid they are make up some lame excuses, change the dates or call some random event the fulfillment of the prophecy. I'll be sure to buy popcorn !
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2012, 04:20 PM   #5
dafydd
Banned

See you all in 37 days time.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2012, 04:22 PM   #6
ehcks
Master Poster

So who's planning on having an It's Totally (not) The End of the World party?
Old 13th November 2012, 04:23 PM   #7
StankApe
Banned

It's one of my good buddies wife's birthday! So, of course, it's a Mayan Doomsday Party!

I thought of making my costume a set of fatigues, a homemade bullet proof vest and a tin foil hat
StankApe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2012, 04:25 PM   #8
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming

Fortunately I have all my quality restaurant reservations before that date.

Even more fortunately, shortly after that date it's Christmas.

Now I lay me down to sleep, a bag of peanuts at my feet.
If I die before I wake, give them to my brother Jake.
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2012, 04:35 PM   #9
dafydd
Banned

It's not really a joke, I know a guy who has a tent and a rucksack full of macaroni and he is headed for a high place in Lichtenstein on the 21st. He fully expects that he will be one of the lucky ones that aliens will save and spirit away to their home planet. Friends are doing their best to dissuade him, but he is intractable. He really believes it. This all started a few months ago when he saw some looney videos on YouTube. He was saving up to go home to Germany and start a sandwich bar, but now he says that he will go to a weed convention somewhere in Germany and spend his savings on marijuana and spend the time smoking himself into a stupor and waiting for the end of the world. This is true, I'm not making it up. His girlfriend has been phoning me, at the end of her wits.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2012, 04:41 PM   #10
Lisa Simpson
Evil Minion
Administrator

There are children at the school where I work who rather worriedly ask me if the world is going to end next month and I know of an older girl whose uncle committed suicide so that "he can pull the rest of the family over" come December. Sad.

Facts are satanic litter on the heavenly highway to blind faith! - Betty Bowers
Lisa Simpson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2012, 05:42 PM   #11
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

God, I just realised I will be in San Francisco on Dec 21s....should be really interesting since SF is a hot bed of New Age Crazy.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2012, 05:48 PM   #12
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Is this gonna be one of those "invisible" end of the world things like the rapture, or will we actually be able to tell it is happening?

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2012, 05:52 PM   #13
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Any ancient Mayans on the site? If so, do you know what time it's supposed to occur? The 21st is a Friday, and that's $2 draughts at Chaser's Pub from 5:00-9:00 (all beers, even good stuff like Bell's Two Hearted). I'm wondering if I should bother showing up?

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2012, 05:56 PM   #14
smartcooky
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Lisa Simpson View Post
There are children at the school where I work who rather worriedly ask me if the world is going to end next month and I know of an older girl whose uncle committed suicide so that "he can pull the rest of the family over" come December. Sad.
This is a sad consequence of CT lunacy.

Its a mistake to think that CTs are always completely harmless. The effects that CT bollocks and off-the-wall belief systems can have on the weak minded fools that go for this stuff hook, line and sinker, can often lead to this kind of tragic scenario.....Heaven's Gate for example.
OCCAMS Razor - 9/11 was a terrorist attack by Islamic extremists organised by Osama Bin Laden; the Apollo astronauts walked on the Moon; JFK was assassinated by a single gunmen, Lee Harvey Oswald, acting alone.
► "Conspiracism is a shortcut to the illusion of erudition." - JayUtah
► Heisenberg's Law - The weirdness of the Universe is inversely proportional to the scale at which you observe it, or not.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2012, 06:11 PM   #15
StankApe
Banned

Originally Posted by The Central Scrutinizer View Post
Any ancient Mayans on the site? If so, do you know what time it's supposed to occur? The 21st is a Friday, and that's $2 draughts at Chaser's Pub from 5:00-9:00 (all beers, even good stuff like Bell's Two Hearted). I'm wondering if I should bother showing up?
shoot yeah!!! that's a good deal, and your money will soon be worthless anyway! (think of it as free beer day)
Old 13th November 2012, 06:16 PM   #16
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

How do these end-worlders feel about the discovery of an extension of the Mayan calendar that goes well beyond 2012?
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2012, 06:18 PM   #17
StankApe
Banned

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
How do these end-worlders feel about the discovery of an extension of the Mayan calendar that goes well beyond 2012?
shill's telling lies
Old 13th November 2012, 06:22 PM   #18
Sonny2
Muse

How do I break this news to my sourdough culture?
Sonny2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2012, 06:25 PM   #19
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Why do these end-worlders have 401K's?
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2012, 06:25 PM   #20
yodaluver28
Muse

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
This is a sad consequence of CT lunacy.

Its a mistake to think that CTs are always completely harmless. The effects that CT bollocks and off-the-wall belief systems can have on the weak minded fools that go for this stuff hook, line and sinker, can often lead to this kind of tragic scenario.....Heaven's Gate for example.
Excellent point. Sometimes it's impossible not to laugh at the absurdity of certain CTs, the-Mayans-knew-we-were-all-doomed-and-even-gave-us-the-date being one of them, but they are not harmless or victimless. I do think that most people who go off the deep end were unstable to begin with, but I wonder how many of those pushing these ideas are irrational themselves and how many are just cynical money grubbers who don't care that they're damaging people who may not be stable enough to see through their fallacies.
Old 13th November 2012, 06:26 PM   #21
StankApe
Banned

Originally Posted by Sonny2 View Post
How do I break this news to my sourdough culture?
slowly , cuz once you get started, before you know it, it's drunk
Old 13th November 2012, 06:41 PM   #22
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I'm sure that by that time I will be feeling fine.
Old 13th November 2012, 07:32 PM   #23
mrgrouch
Muse

there's no time to fool around people, we have only 36 days to stop total destruction, must start sacrificing virgins immediatey. since i'm the only one here who speaks any mayan i propose it's me who presides any sacrifice. if anybody objects tulaka cuchun, micta! pelana!. remember mayan sacrifice is not about pulling hearts out, but involves making the genitals bleed. i'll explain later, just send me your virgins and i'll ensure the continuity of the universe. no need to thank me, someone has to do it.
mrgrouch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2012, 07:52 PM   #24
Travis

Originally Posted by mrgrouch View Post
there's no time to fool around people, we have only 36 days to stop total destruction, must start sacrificing virgins immediatey. since i'm the only one here who speaks any mayan i propose it's me who presides any sacrifice. if anybody objects tulaka cuchun, micta! pelana!. remember mayan sacrifice is not about pulling hearts out, but involves making the genitals bleed. i'll explain later, just send me your virgins and i'll ensure the continuity of the universe. no need to thank me, someone has to do it.
*Travis goes very quiet and hopes no one notices him*
Old 13th November 2012, 07:57 PM   #25
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
That sucks. I was looking forwards to perving over watching Jenna-Louise Coleman in the Doctor Who Christmas Special.
I really think we will have plenty of time to......Nostradummazz is supposed to have also predicted this - and he has been right exactly...let me calculate this out... just a second.....Oh, yeah, that would be NEVER!!!!!!!!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2012, 08:40 PM   #26
mrgrouch
Muse

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
*Travis goes very quiet and hopes no one notices him*
what's wrong boy...? you don't happen to be a virgin... do you...?
mrgrouch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2012, 08:46 PM   #27
sol
New Blood

So how are you going to spend your remaining time until the Pre-Columbian Quickening sucks out your soul?
hookers and blow. the only way to go.
sol is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2012, 08:54 PM   #28
Battman
Thinker

I'm not certain that I could find any virgins.
Old 13th November 2012, 08:56 PM   #29
Battman
Thinker

Originally Posted by dafydd View Post
It's not really a joke, I know a guy who has a tent and a rucksack full of macaroni and he is headed for a high place in Lichtenstein on the 21st. He fully expects that he will be one of the lucky ones that aliens will save and spirit away to their home planet. Friends are doing their best to dissuade him, but he is intractable. He really believes it. This all started a few months ago when he saw some looney videos on YouTube. He was saving up to go home to Germany and start a sandwich bar, but now he says that he will go to a weed convention somewhere in Germany and spend his savings on marijuana and spend the time smoking himself into a stupor and waiting for the end of the world. This is true, I'm not making it up. His girlfriend has been phoning me, at the end of her wits.
His girlfriend needs to find a new boyfriend. One that can think for himself.
Old 13th November 2012, 09:05 PM   #30
sol
New Blood

Originally Posted by Battman View Post
and send me his weed.
sol is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2012, 09:34 PM   #31
I Ratant
Penultimate Amazing

And just how are you gonna explain all those 3rd graders showing up at your house?
I Ratant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2012, 10:42 PM   #32
mrgrouch
Muse

Originally Posted by I Ratant View Post
And just how are you gonna explain all those 3rd graders showing up at your house?
what are you saying? aren't there any young adult virgins left? oh lord ku-kul-kan we are all doomed...
Old 13th November 2012, 11:36 PM   #33
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Originally Posted by ehcks View Post
So who's planning on having an It's Totally (not) The End of the World party?
I'm sure we can enjoy lots of lovely schadenfreude right here.

I'm glad it's on a Friday as I don't work on Fridays, plus it will be the first day of my Christmas holidays so I'll be celebrating big time!

Originally Posted by dafydd View Post
Wow, I didn't realise there were actually any doomsdayers left!

Most of the woos I'm aware of just claim it will be some sort of nebulous "enlightenment" event.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2012, 11:41 PM   #34
Tomtomkent
Philosopher

If it's okay with the rest of you I am going to wait around a few thousand years until the date the Mayans actually ended their long count callender before deciding if that means the end of the world.

Never look up an E-book because this signature line told you. Especially not Dead Lament (ASIN: B00JEN1MWY). Or A Little Trouble (ASIN: B00GQFZZQW).
Tomtomkent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2012, 12:16 AM   #35
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

I wonder if this particular flavor of end-worlders laughed at the other end times predictions .
Old 14th November 2012, 02:24 AM   #36
Travis

what's wrong boy...? you don't happen to be a virgin... do you...?
Well yes. Prior to the impending apocalypse this was most a bothersome but not a life threatening thing to worry about.
Old 14th November 2012, 03:09 AM   #37
Soapy Sam
NLH

Yep, only 36 days until the dreaded date of December 21, 2012 when the zombie Maya vampire robots rise up from the hallows of Nibiru and wreak havoc with their fear dragons en route to the destruction of humanity in order to fulfill the prophecy of the Old One's. Presumably, somehow, this will all be aided by HAARP and abetted by a conspiracy of Jews bankers.

So how are you going to spend your remaining time until the Pre-Columbian Quickening sucks out your soul? Try to explain to people about how something called calenders are not predictors of future destruction? Ask people how the Mayan's knew about the destruction of humanity but not how to keep their neighbors from invading them?

Hunker down in a basement bunker in order to finally get some use out of the $20,000 in survival equipment you invested in for Y2k? I know at least one woman that will be doing that. She'll show us that all that money blown to survive the computer calamity wasn't, in fact, wasted.

My own question would be: does the destruction start when midnight is hit upon the international date line or does it wait until the date turns locally?
Is this Gregorian calendar , or Julian?

21 Dec happens to be my 2nd wedding anniversary. (I picked a date I was likely to remember).
Does this mean I can save money by not buying a present? I need a definitive answer, because if the world doesn't end that day and I didn't buy a gift, then the world's going to end.
Soapy Sam is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2012, 03:28 AM   #38
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

The Don woodpile is getting a bit low, it was like this:

But now we're down to the last 3 layers.

If the world is going to end on the 21st December then we can just buy a couple of bags of logs from the garden centre to tide us over until the end of the world. If not then we really ought to get another load in so that we're stocked up for Christmas.

We also have about 2000 litres of fuel oil left, I'll be so cross if the world ends and I wasted 1200 on oil
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2012, 03:30 AM   #39
StankApe
Banned

since the world is ending ,I'm going to go burn a pile of tires next to the "whole foods" grocery store and heckle the hippies when they come out to rant!!
Old 14th November 2012, 04:02 AM   #40
dafydd
Banned

Originally Posted by Battman View Post
That possibility is being considered.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal