ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 14th November 2012, 07:07 AM   #41
gambling_cruiser
Muse

My ESTA allowance ends on Dec 22, so I think I don't need to renew it.
Otherwise my flights to Las Vegas are on Dec 23, therefore I will renew ESTA, just in case the world doesn't end properly.
gambling_cruiser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2012, 07:38 AM   #42
Cheesy One
Scholar

It's always interesting to hear why that particular "End of the World" didn't happen and then about what the next "real" one is going to happen. Sad that some people take this stuff seriously however.

It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine.....
Cheesy One is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2012, 09:17 AM   #43
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Orphia Nay View Post
I'm glad it's on a Friday as I don't work on Fridays, plus it will be the first day of my Christmas holidays so I'll be celebrating big time!
Well if the world does end, it will certainly give new meaning to the term "causal Friday"!
Old 14th November 2012, 09:21 AM   #44
mikeyx
Banned

its been refuted, you guys know that right?
mikeyx is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2012, 09:27 AM   #45
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by mikeyx View Post
its been refuted, you guys know that right?
Remind me whatever it was that needed refuting?
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2012, 09:48 AM   #46
mikeyx
Banned

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
Remind me whatever it was that needed refuting?
some pesky folks found a mayan calendar and goes out further than the one that dooms the world.
mikeyx is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2012, 09:58 AM   #47
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Tomtomkent View Post
If it's okay with the rest of you I am going to wait around a few thousand years until the date the Mayans actually ended their long count callender before deciding if that means the end of the world.
That's gonna be a long wait. Even skipping past the fact that a date is just a number in the Long Count calendar (e.g., 123456 is actually a valid date) and you can use as many digits as you need, there are a couple more thousand years until the actual end of the piktun (base-20 millennium), and we have at least one date on a monument that's literally trillions of trillions of years into the future. So, you know, if there is any point where you can't add any more digits, it has to at least accommodate that.
Old 14th November 2012, 11:11 AM   #48
Ladewig
Hipster alien

Originally Posted by mrgrouch View Post
there's no time to fool around people, we have only 36 days to stop total destruction, must start sacrificing virgins immediatey. since i'm the only one here who speaks any mayan i propose it's me who presides any sacrifice. if anybody objects tulaka cuchun, micta! pelana!. remember mayan sacrifice is not about pulling hearts out, but involves making the genitals bleed. i'll explain later, just send me your virgins and i'll ensure the continuity of the universe. no need to thank me, someone has to do it.
I just want to remind folks that the penis stuff is not a joke. The formal prayer ritual in the Mayan culture required a man to cut his penis with a sharp stone.
Is the JREF message board training wheels for people who hope to one day troll other message boards? It is not that hard to get us to believe you. We are not the major leagues or even the minor leagues. We are Pee-Wee baseball. If you love striking out 10-year-olds, then you'll love trolling our board.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2012, 11:20 AM   #49
Aepervius
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dafydd View Post
That possibility is being considered.
I live in Germany , so.... if she lives there too.... Send her my username .
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2012, 11:25 AM   #50
StankApe
Banned

I should have sold people "end of the world insurance" they pay me a one time $100 premium, and if the apocalypse happens, they receive $10,000 worth of ammo,water and food.

sell that to just 10,000 doomsday preppers, and there's a million bucks
StankApe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2012, 11:33 AM   #51
my_wan
Graduate Poster

I'll save everybody! I'll just crank up an old game of Diablo and slay the boss.
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Yep, only 36 days until the dreaded date of December 21, 2012 when the zombie Maya vampire robots rise up from the hallows of Nibiru and wreak havoc with their fear dragons en route to the destruction of humanity in order to fulfill the prophecy of the Old One's. Presumably, somehow, this will all be aided by HAARP and abetted by a conspiracy of Jews bankers.

So how are you going to spend your remaining time until the Pre-Columbian Quickening sucks out your soul? Try to explain to people about how something called calenders are not predictors of future destruction? Ask people how the Mayan's knew about the destruction of humanity but not how to keep their neighbors from invading them?

Hunker down in a basement bunker in order to finally get some use out of the $20,000 in survival equipment you invested in for Y2k? I know at least one woman that will be doing that. She'll show us that all that money blown to survive the computer calamity wasn't, in fact, wasted.

My own question would be: does the destruction start when midnight is hit upon the international date line or does it wait until the date turns locally?
Old 14th November 2012, 12:11 PM   #52
Correa Neto
Philosopher

I know how to avoid doomsday. I know the rites and I am willing to perform them.

I need beautiful women for the rites. They MUST NOT be virgins! It would take too long to teatch them the rites.

So, please hurry and help me save the world and brag about it later!
Racism, sexism, ignorance, homophobia, intolerance, extremism, authoritarianism, environmental disasters, politically correct crap, violence at sport stadiums, slavery, poverty, wars, people who disagree with me:
Together we can find the cure
Oh, and together we can find a cure to religion too…
Correa Neto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2012, 12:35 PM   #53
I Ratant
Penultimate Amazing

Doing some of the wrongs is also fun.
I Ratant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2012, 01:55 PM   #54
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by mikeyx View Post
some pesky folks found a mayan calendar and goes out further than the one that dooms the world.
Mentioned earlier in the thread, by myself. Also, Mikeyx, it's been discussed that such facts don't really bother end-worlders.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2012, 04:52 PM   #55
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Well I didn't believe in this doomsday stuff before I knew about the new calender.

Because.....seriously how did the Mayans know about it?
Old 14th November 2012, 04:59 PM   #56
StankApe
Banned

Well I didn't believe in this doomsday stuff before I knew about the new calender.

[IMG][/IMG]
StankApe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2012, 05:22 PM   #57
I Ratant
Penultimate Amazing

They didn't have that in their world view at all, it's just some very excitable and bad archeologist that came up with that idea. Their calendar as Tim mentions, goes on past the death of the universe.
I Ratant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2012, 05:30 PM   #58
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

Well, still... come to think of it, it IS solstice too and the stars are aligned all right (well, they look all right to me), so I guess I should do my part... just in case...

I guess I'll just need a couple of kegs of beer and a few more people to help with the chanting, "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!" The former should help with recruiting the latter
Old 14th November 2012, 05:31 PM   #59
Jodie
Master Poster

I just realized I'll be on a plane to Albuquerque that day. Well if the massive planet tilt happens maybe I can watch it from the air assuming the winds don't knock us to the ground as a result.
Old 14th November 2012, 06:00 PM   #60
Sonny2
Muse

Originally Posted by StankApe View Post
since the world is ending ,I'm going to go burn a pile of tires next to the "whole foods" grocery store and heckle the hippies when they come out to rant!!
I'm going to haul a bunch of tires up to the top of Mt. Sopris (in Colorado, looks kinda volcanic) and burn them, making everyone in the neraby towns (Apsen, Glenwood, Carbondale) think it's about to erupt. That way when the world actually does end, they won't be so afraid, as they already went thru the motions..
Sonny2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2012, 06:33 PM   #61
Jodie
Master Poster

LOLOLOL.....oh that is EBIL
Old 14th November 2012, 06:42 PM   #62
StankApe
Banned

Sonny2 trumped me, I've been defeated.....no no, I'll see myself out
Old 14th November 2012, 07:02 PM   #63
Sonny2
Muse

Being trumped in evilness isn't necessarily a bad thing...
Sonny2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2012, 12:47 PM   #64
George152
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Sonny2 View Post
Being trumped in evilness isn't necessarily a bad thing...
He's only got a month to live with the shame
Old 15th November 2012, 02:35 PM   #65
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by I Ratant View Post
They didn't have that in their world view at all, it's just some very excitable and bad archeologist that came up with that idea. Their calendar as Tim mentions, goes on past the death of the universe.
Well, your point is of course right and well taken.

I'd add though that even without knowing a date in the future, ANY calendar goes on and on like Celine Dion's heart For most you can just add another digit in front, while others, like the Mayan's own Calendar Round, just cycle for ever.

Seriously, even if this actually WERE the end of the first piktun (base-20 millenium), exactly what kind of morons actually assume that the world is going to end because a calendar runs out of digits? It would be quite literally like being in year 999 AD and assuming the world ends on 31 December at midnight, because one can't possibly carry the one and start year 1000.

But as I've said in other threads, actually the piktun ain't over for a very long time. So what we actually have is pretty literally, and keeping the proportion, like being in 699 AD and assuming the world ends on 31 December at midnight, because one thinks the millennium ends after six.

The whole thing is so incredibly stupid... seriously... it shouldn't even need a higher date on the calendar to disprove. You'd think the problem would be evident to anyone with at least half a brain.

I mean even the Y2K problem was supposed to have a base in how computers worked, and there was a clear idea of how the errors would occur. And even then the people didn't expect the world itself to end. But the end of a Mayan century is somehow reason to expect the world end? Really? Exactly which computers even run by the Mayan calendar?

I swear it's such proof of widespread human stupidity, that it makes me roll against losing a sanity point
Old 16th November 2012, 06:11 PM   #66
fromdownunder
Illuminator

It may be just me, but there does not seem to be a lot of stuff going on about this year's end of the world predictions. Sure, if you google 21 December 2012 you get a heap of hits about it all, but compared to Y2K which was everywhere this little event will pass us by with little more than a murmur from a few extremist whackos.

They don't make end of the world prophesies like they used to.

Norm
fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2012, 06:17 PM   #67
StankApe
Banned

Originally Posted by fromdownunder View Post
It may be just me, but there does not seem to be a lot of stuff going on about this year's end of the world predictions. Sure, if you google 21 December 2012 you get a heap of hits about it all, but compared to Y2K which was everywhere this little event will pass us by with little more than a murmur from a few extremist whackos.

They don't make end of the world prophesies like they used to.

Norm
people are preoccupied with more serious doomsday scenarios, like a Twinkie shortage!
Old 16th November 2012, 07:02 PM   #68
fromdownunder
Illuminator

Originally Posted by StankApe View Post
people are preoccupied with more serious doomsday scenarios, like a Twinkie shortage!
But everybody knows you can't break a Twinkie. They will outlive us all.

Norm
fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2012, 07:02 PM   #69
Travis

Originally Posted by HansMustermann View Post

I mean even the Y2K problem was supposed to have a base in how computers worked, and there was a clear idea of how the errors would occur. And even then the people didn't expect the world itself to end. But the end of a Mayan century is somehow reason to expect the world end? Really? Exactly which computers even run by the Mayan calendar?
I knew at least one poor soul who had to ride out December 31, 1999 in a freaking makeshift survival shelter because his aunt was convinced society would be destroyed by Y2K. The same aunt, of course, is convinced the 2012 crap is real and plans to do it all over again. Incredibly she still has a lot of the stuff she stockpiled for Y2K so she's actually putting out less money this time around.

Also, kind funny, when her family did face a real disaster a few years back where they ended up snowed in with no power for over a week she forbade them from using her survival stuff. They had no food, no heat, no phone, no way to drive out of their location (in addition to several feet of snow their driveway was festooned with downed trees) and yet she wanted to save it all for the apocalypse.
Old 16th November 2012, 07:09 PM   #70
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by fromdownunder View Post
But everybody knows you can't break a Twinkie. They will outlive us all.

Norm
And what will a world ruled by hyper-intelligent Twinkies be like anyway?
Old 16th November 2012, 07:16 PM   #71
Sonny2
Muse

Well, it Mayan't end and it Mayan't not.

Either way, I'm stocking up on Twinkies.

Last edited by Sonny2; 16th November 2012 at 07:29 PM.
Old 16th November 2012, 08:14 PM   #72
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
I knew at least one poor soul who had to ride out December 31, 1999 in a freaking makeshift survival shelter because his aunt was convinced society would be destroyed by Y2K. The same aunt, of course, is convinced the 2012 crap is real and plans to do it all over again. Incredibly she still has a lot of the stuff she stockpiled for Y2K so she's actually putting out less money this time around.

Also, kind funny, when her family did face a real disaster a few years back where they ended up snowed in with no power for over a week she forbade them from using her survival stuff. They had no food, no heat, no phone, no way to drive out of their location (in addition to several feet of snow their driveway was festooned with downed trees) and yet she wanted to save it all for the apocalypse.
What a complete and utter idiot.

That's the closest thing she'll ever get to an apocalypse, and she failed to spot it.

I guess because it didn't involve fantasy stories of technology or history it wasn't "special" enough.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2012, 08:34 PM   #73
Orphia Nay
Tagger

I found this Facebook page where there are a lot of believers in the 2012 myths.

http://www.facebook.com/December212012Network

So far I've resisted the urge to mock, apart from posting this:

Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2012, 09:23 PM   #74
Sonny2
Muse

Wow, did those cats come from the shelter at Three Mile Island??? Area 52 or 54 or whatever it is?
Old 16th November 2012, 10:32 PM   #75
Travis

What a complete and utter idiot.

That's the closest thing she'll ever get to an apocalypse, and she failed to spot it.

I guess because it didn't involve fantasy stories of technology or history it wasn't "special" enough.
Pretty much. Unless batpeople are flying up from the cracks of hell her survival stuff is off limits.
Old 16th November 2012, 11:38 PM   #76
Elver Galarga
New Blood

As a friend of mine said: "I don't know how close or far we are from the end of the World, but one thing is sure: WE ARE IN THE RIGHT PATH!!"
Elver Galarga is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2012, 02:02 AM   #77
I Ratant
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
And what will a world ruled by hyper-intelligent Twinkies be like anyway?
Ask Mitt.
Old 17th November 2012, 02:48 AM   #78
xtifr
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Elver Galarga View Post
As a friend of mine said: "I don't know how close or far we are from the end of the World, but one thing is sure: WE ARE IN THE RIGHT PATH!!"
I'm pretty sure all paths lead to the sun eventually wandering off the main sequence, turning into a giant, and making the world into crispy critters.
-- James Nicoll
xtifr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2012, 03:14 AM   #79
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Pretty much. Unless batpeople are flying up from the cracks of hell her survival stuff is off limits.
Stocking survival supplies for use only in unsurvivable events. Hmm.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2012, 06:27 PM   #80
Orphia Nay
Tagger

I found this Facebook page where there are a lot of believers in the 2012 myths.

http://www.facebook.com/December212012Network

So far I've resisted the urge to mock, apart from posting this:

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w194/orphia/EOTW.jpg
Just came across this at that page:

Quoted for ease of reply:

"As someone who was actually at a Mayan site last year and spent many hours with a Mayan scholar who was my guide at the ruins. I have personal knowledge of what actual Mayans believe what will occur on 12/21/2012. First off he told me that this is not an end of the world scenario yet it is a period of time where all inhabitants on the earth will be experiencing an energy field that only occurs when the planets align in the center of the milky way. There is a three day period of time from mid day on the 21st till the mid day 24th that nothing will work electronically and this will be a period of thought where people will be enlightened to a new level of understanding. Many will not understand what is happening and will go insane, kill themselves, kill others so he said that you should prepair to stay inside for those three days to avoid being victimized. Do not look outside, this is a time to pray and achieve a higher level of consciousness. Ultimately the survivors that pass through this time will achieve a higher understanding of the universe and its powers that can be harnessed with the human brain and to be able to live a much greater existence amongst all people in the planet with the same higher level of enlightenment, intelligence and knowledge. He said the 3 days of darkness are not necessarily literally without light but the darkness they refer to is the evil and madness that will occur amongst the people incapable of achieving a higher level of consciousness or understanding of what is occurring and that is why you must remain inside and pray. He said anyone can achieve this enlightenment but must understand and truly believe it those who don't will not survive. Good luck and Gods speed to all who believe this and to those who don't as well..."

This sums up the cognitive dissonance of the woos. They can't bear to admit they were hoaxed about an EOTW scenario, so they throw in the opposite, an enlightenment scenario, not thinking that they contradict each other.

This was my reply:

"I suspect the Mayan guides tell tourists whatever they want to hear. That sounds like a "have your apocalypse cake and eat it too" theory, made up to account for those who believe in doomsday and those who believe in enlightenment. It doesn't prove either. What say I meet you here online on December 22 and you admit you were hoaxed. Warm regards."

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal