ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 16th November 2012, 07:04 AM   #41
Baffled
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Newbeak View Post
It is Fox affiliate KDVR
Oops. I did not know that, and left a comment sarcastically comparing them to FOX News.

Well don't I look like a FOX reporter now....
Baffled is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2012, 08:13 AM   #42
Steve001
Muse

There appear to be more than one object in this vid. Some of the objects certainly look like insects flying. The other object looks like mylar balloons. At two minutes the third object does not appear to be an insect in flight.
Steve001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2012, 09:10 AM   #43
Biscuit
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Steve001 View Post
There appear to be more than one object in this vid. Some of the objects certainly look like insects flying. The other object looks like mylar balloons. At two minutes the third object does not appear to be an insect in flight.
I think what you are seeing is different bugs, even types of bugs, at different distances from the camera but all equally out of focus.
Old 16th November 2012, 03:33 PM   #44
bryan
Scholar

We have looked at the "UFO" video and it looks like terrestrial life to us.
www.rockymountainparanormal.com/foxufo.html
bryan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2012, 03:40 PM   #45
Gawdzilla
121.92-meter mutant fire-breathing lizard-thingy

Originally Posted by Sonny2 View Post
wait a minute - the news says the objects are not visible to the naked eye, yet the filmer says they're there several times a week.

FAIL
They only show up on film. Many because the bugs are close at hand and the observer is looking for something miles away. And probably swatting a bugs while doing that.
Morgan Freeman does the voice-over on all my posts.
Gawdzilla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2012, 04:20 PM   #46
Steve001
Muse

Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
I think what you are seeing is different bugs, even types of bugs, at different distances from the camera but all equally out of focus.
The object at 0.07 and 2:12 does not resemble a bug.
Steve001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2012, 05:38 PM   #47
Gawdzilla

So what does a bug 1.5" from the lens look like?
Gawdzilla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2012, 07:12 PM   #48
my_wan
Graduate Poster

Anybody want to bet it's somebody remote control project? Name your bet.
Old 16th November 2012, 07:21 PM   #49
my_wan
Graduate Poster

Something along the lines of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTHWBSluUjU
Old 16th November 2012, 08:21 PM   #50
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

It resembles a bug to me. Especially in context.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2012, 06:30 AM   #51
Gawdzilla

Originally Posted by my_wan View Post
Anybody want to bet it's somebody remote control project? Name your bet.
The pound of flesh closest to your heart?

Anyway, there's no way it could be a "remote control project". The object is either doing several thousand miles an hour at a distance or several inches a second much, much, closer. Film editors these days routinely edit out exactly the same effects, because they don't want insects in their footage.
Old 17th November 2012, 02:19 PM   #52
Biscuit
Philosopher

Take into account that it is out of focus and the signal degradation and look at it again.
Old 17th November 2012, 02:23 PM   #53
Gawdzilla

Take into account that it is out of focus and the signal degradation and look at it again.
As I understand it, the CCD can't handle near and far objects at the same time, so the processing software "guesses" at the shape and color of the "object".
Old 17th November 2012, 03:06 PM   #54
my_wan
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Gawdzilla View Post

Anyway, there's no way it could be a "remote control project". The object is either doing several thousand miles an hour at a distance or several inches a second much, much, closer. Film editors these days routinely edit out exactly the same effects, because they don't want insects in their footage.
If you do the math it doesn't have to be going near that speed. Here are some RC planes doing near 400 mph. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oix6sHKzOLU
Old 17th November 2012, 03:12 PM   #55
Gawdzilla

If you do the math it doesn't have to be going near that speed. Here are some RC planes doing near 400 mph. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oix6sHKzOLU
Distance was several miles, purportedly. So that's not germane.
Old 17th November 2012, 03:36 PM   #56
StankApe
Banned

the dadburn Germans got nothing to do with it!!!!

StankApe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2012, 03:39 PM   #57
my_wan
Graduate Poster

We can't even talk about distance without some minimal amount of triangulation. The idea presented here that it's an insect much closer would be falsified as well by that claim. I would bet it's closer to a quarter mile, and not generally more than a half mile. Even at a quarter mile a small RC plane can be difficult to see. Just listen to the news channels expert talk about how it was too fast, then opine that maybe it could be debris raised up by the atmosphere. This could only be justified by the size of the debris being reduced to the order of a small RC design. Even if its actual distance was somewhat farther out the visual effects of speed on camera would correspond to its effective distance after any camera or software zoom. In fact any such exaggeration of the zoom effect would increase at the inverse square of the zoom while the background remained relatively more stable. I'm betting this is no standard RC design, but the performance characteristics are being exaggerated by visual effects.
Old 17th November 2012, 04:39 PM   #58
Squeegee Beckenheim
Philosopher

I'm betting this is no standard RC design[...]
I'm betting it's insects. Because it looks like insects, and it's in a place where you'd expect to find lots of insects.
Squeegee Beckenheim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2012, 05:30 PM   #59
Biscuit
Philosopher

As I understand it, the CCD can't handle near and far objects at the same time, so the processing software "guesses" at the shape and color of the "object".
I did not know that but it further explains the difficulty in visual identification.
Old 17th November 2012, 05:35 PM   #60
Biscuit
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
I'm betting it's insects. Because it looks like insects, and it's in a place where you'd expect to find lots of insects.
I have to agree. While a non standard RC design flying somewhere in the FOV is possible I think bugs make more sense.

RC planes are noisy, I don't think someone would fly one in a residential area, if they were in the field it would be obvious, and the repeated sighting on multiple days makes it unlikely unless it was some kind of club which would be obvious as well.
Old 17th November 2012, 05:46 PM   #61
TjW
Penultimate Amazing

We can't even talk about distance without some minimal amount of triangulation. The idea presented here that it's an insect much closer would be falsified as well by that claim. I would bet it's closer to a quarter mile, and not generally more than a half mile. Even at a quarter mile a small RC plane can be difficult to see. Just listen to the news channels expert talk about how it was too fast, then opine that maybe it could be debris raised up by the atmosphere. This could only be justified by the size of the debris being reduced to the order of a small RC design. Even if its actual distance was somewhat farther out the visual effects of speed on camera would correspond to its effective distance after any camera or software zoom. In fact any such exaggeration of the zoom effect would increase at the inverse square of the zoom while the background remained relatively more stable. I'm betting this is no standard RC design, but the performance characteristics are being exaggerated by visual effects.
I don't think so. It wasn't just small, it was out of focus. And I guarantee there's no Weldon ridge there for it to be a dynamic soaring sailplane.
TjW is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2012, 09:13 PM   #62
Steve001
Muse

So what does a bug 1.5" from the lens look like?
A bug that close to a camera focused at infinity would look like blob.
The two objects have somewhat defined edges resembling a bunch of mylar balloons.
Old 17th November 2012, 09:30 PM   #63
Gawdzilla

A bug that close to a camera focused at infinity would look like blob.
What do you base that on? The CCD is unpredictable when the object is wildly out of parameters. NSA has this problem, but they don't talk about it much.
Quote:
The two objects have somewhat defined edges resembling a bunch of mylar balloons.
How do you know that's an accurate representation of the object being filmed?
Old 17th November 2012, 10:31 PM   #64
philkensebben
Graduate Poster

Quite often aliens are insectoid beings, so everyone so far is quite correct to say this footage is of insects. The UFO'ers are also correct. Insect beings landed a craft in another field, went exploring, then darted around this field looking for their craft. They were simply a little confused.

Glad I could clear everything up.
philkensebben is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2012, 10:46 PM   #65
smartcooky
Master Poster

They also routinely edit out distant objects as well, depending on the period of the film. A movie about farm workers in the 14th century rather loses credibility when you can see a 747 leaving contrails in the background sky.
OCCAMS Razor - 9/11 was a terrorist attack by Islamic extremists organised by Osama Bin Laden; the Apollo astronauts walked on the Moon; JFK was assassinated by a single gunmen, Lee Harvey Oswald, acting alone.
► "Conspiracism is a shortcut to the illusion of erudition." - JayUtah
► Heisenberg's Law - The weirdness of the Universe is inversely proportional to the scale at which you observe it, or not.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2012, 11:00 PM   #66
HotNostril
Thinker

Originally Posted by Stellafane View Post
Oh great -- bug size UFOs. Bad enough they do that probe thing on humans; now they're small enough to fly up there and get a first-hand look for themselves.
That was hysterical!
HotNostril is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2012, 02:14 AM   #67
Starthinker
Philosopher

A bunch of Redditers took it on. http://www.reddit.com/r/Denver/comme...followup_post/
Starthinker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2012, 03:50 AM   #68
Squeegee Beckenheim
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Starthinker View Post
So it turns out that the answer is flies? Whodathunkit?
Squeegee Beckenheim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2012, 05:42 AM   #69
Gawdzilla

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
They also routinely edit out distant objects as well, depending on the period of the film. A movie about farm workers in the 14th century rather loses credibility when you can see a 747 leaving contrails in the background sky.
I remember the Wild West movie with the contrails very well.
Old 18th November 2012, 05:43 AM   #70
Gawdzilla

Well, some folks have been saying that all along.
Old 18th November 2012, 06:09 AM   #71
Squeegee Beckenheim
Philosopher

Well, some folks have been saying that all along.
Including me, if you read back over the thread.
Old 18th November 2012, 06:40 AM   #72
Gawdzilla

Including me, if you read back over the thread.
You are definitely a subset of "some folks".

Venn coming up.
Old 18th November 2012, 06:42 AM   #73
Dan O.
Penultimate Amazing

Alians leave behind mutalated carcasses.1
Flies are attracted to mutilated carcasses.2
Flies were discovered at the site. QED

1. The discovery of past mutilated carcasses proves that alians do not take all mutilated carcasses with them.
2. A presumption based on the fact that flies are attracted to non mutilated carcasses and if mutalated carcasses did not attract flies this would be a significant finding in and of itself.
Dan O. is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2012, 07:16 AM   #74
Gawdzilla

Somebody do the math for me, please.

Take one frame of "film" from the video. It shows the object traversing the frame, covering 50% of the frame in a single streak.

Now, for every meter of length, how fast would it be moving? For example, if it's 100 meters long and travels 50% of the frame in a single "exposure", how fast is going and how far away would it have to be to stay in the frame while traveling at that speed?

Poorly formed, I know, but that's why I'm asking for help with the math.
Old 18th November 2012, 08:05 AM   #75
Biscuit
Philosopher

I guess that makes you .... Lord of the flies!

YEEEEEEEAAAAAHHHHHHHH!

That has to be the best comment ever.
Old 18th November 2012, 08:07 AM   #76
Biscuit
Philosopher

Somebody do the math for me, please.

Take one frame of "film" from the video. It shows the object traversing the frame, covering 50% of the frame in a single streak.

Now, for every meter of length, how fast would it be moving? For example, if it's 100 meters long and travels 50% of the frame in a single "exposure", how fast is going and how far away would it have to be to stay in the frame while traveling at that speed?

Poorly formed, I know, but that's why I'm asking for help with the math.
I don't think we have enough info to do that math.
Old 18th November 2012, 08:17 AM   #77
Gawdzilla

I don't think we have enough info to do that math.
What's missing?

If it's 10 meters long and cover 50% of the frame in the duration of the frame it has to be going at X speed and be Y distance away from the lens to stay in the frame at that speed.

I think.
Old 18th November 2012, 08:23 AM   #78
Bell
beautiful freak

What's missing?

If it's 10 meters long and cover 50% of the frame in the duration of the frame it has to be going at X speed and be Y distance away from the lens to stay in the frame at that speed.

I think.
Depends on the angle of view of the used lens.

INY
You gotta love cops.
Bell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2012, 08:47 AM   #79
Gawdzilla

Originally Posted by Bell View Post
Depends on the angle of view of the used lens.
If the path of travel is at right angles to the lens that would be the shortest transit distance, anything else would be long. So KISS and assume 90 degrees to the lens.
Old 18th November 2012, 08:54 AM   #80
TjW
Penultimate Amazing

If the path of travel is at right angles to the lens that would be the shortest transit distance, anything else would be long. So KISS and assume 90 degrees to the lens.
No, not the angle of travel. The angle of view. For example, GoPro cameras are "wide angle" lenses, and have a wide field of view. Telephoto lenses have a narrow field of view.
Zoom lenses have a variable field of view. You can start with a wide angle shot and "zoom in" so you have a much narrower field of view.

Still, since it's a known location, you could find distant landmarks on the edges of the frame, and use those to get an angle of view.

Last edited by TjW; 18th November 2012 at 08:57 AM.
TjW is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal