ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 21st November 2012, 12:27 PM   #41
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

So does the First Family just not eat turkey for Thanksgiving dinner?

Or does the president make a show of pardoning these turkeys, even as the White House chef is busy dressing a pair of 22-pound Butterballs in the kitchen?

Seems like a pretty stupid tradition to me. Either the First Family should forgo turkey altogether for the holiday meal, or the President should graciously accept the generous gift of two premium birds, and put them to the traditional use enjoyed by Americans nationwide on that day.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2012, 12:33 PM   #42
PetersCreek
Muse

Originally Posted by The_Fire View Post
You CAN shoot a Reindeer with buckshots, but at VERY short range. Otherwise you just wound the poor thing. Bad form for hunters.
Indeed. Shotguns are commonly used for whitetail deer where I grew up and hunted in the US South. They're effective at shorter ranges and in cover, especially if the animal is on the move. At short range, a 2¾" shell of #00 buckshot packs quite a punch, delivering 9 or 10 leads balls, each measuring .33 inches in diameter. However, the shot pattern spreads one inch per yard of range...more or less, depending on barrel choke.

The deer we ate were shot with a 308 cal. rifle (to those whom that makes sense). [/quote]

One of my favorite rounds. A .308-inch diameter, 200-grain bullet ripping along at ~2,400 ft/sec packs quite a punch, too...only out to much greater range.
PetersCreek is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2012, 12:37 PM   #43
PetersCreek
Muse

Oh...and speaking of turkeys...our 17-pounder goes in the brine tonight. Tomorrow, it gets skewered on a spit before taking a nice long ride on the grill's rotisserie.
PetersCreek is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2012, 12:39 PM   #44
Macgyver1968
Illuminator

Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post

One of my favorite rounds. A .308-inch diameter, 200-grain bullet ripping along at ~2,400 ft/sec packs quite a punch, too...only out to much greater range.

Me too...thousands of snipers can't be wrong!
Old 21st November 2012, 12:45 PM   #45
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Christmas? Duck or venison.
Hey kids! Christmas is cancelled, Santa can't get here because the atheists ate Rudolph.
Old 21st November 2012, 01:04 PM   #46
Noztradamus
Master Poster

~~~~The Grouse on the other hand were the ones we pulled buckshot out of. My memory got fouled up.
Doubt that. Buckshot runs about 10 pellets/oz. While a hit would certainly kill a grouse, there's a fair chance the bird would dodge all of them. And you wouldn'r have to pull the shot out - straight through. Which brings up the 9+ pellets that miss. Shooting that many pellets - each larger than .22 rifile bullet - into the air, kinda like an afghani wedding.

Grouse needs birdshot (not buckshot), about 300 pellets/oz. More likely to hit, less damage to the meat, no downrange hazard.
Old 21st November 2012, 01:17 PM   #47
The_Fire
Unimpressed Female

Originally Posted by Noztradamus View Post
Doubt that. Buckshot runs about 10 pellets/oz. While a hit would certainly kill a grouse, there's a fair chance the bird would dodge all of them. And you wouldn'r have to pull the shot out - straight through. Which brings up the 9+ pellets that miss. Shooting that many pellets - each larger than .22 rifile bullet - into the air, kinda like an afghani wedding.

Grouse needs birdshot (not buckshot), about 300 pellets/oz. More likely to hit, less damage to the meat, no downrange hazard.

Buckshot, birdshot: Its all called Haglpatron down here. (Yes, I know theres a difference and the mistake was mine. Dad most likely used the Birdshot, but he didn't go into details other than calling the gun used for the birds a Haglgevær so in my addled mind I simply used buckshot. Sry).
"We? That better be you and that invisible aardwarck in your pocket you are talking about, because I KNOW you are not stupid enough to open a giant can of whoop ass by claiming you know what I think."
Stop Sylvia Browne
The_Fire is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2012, 01:40 PM   #48
Aepervius
Philosopher

Originally Posted by mumblethrax View Post
Oh, well...it's new to me!

I don't get it.
They ask to spare a pardon for turkey.... Thzus People Eating Turkey *anyway*

OK maybe not as funny as i thought...
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2012, 02:05 PM   #49
The_Fire
Unimpressed Female

Ya know, these peta-people...The running joke in my family is that one should take these morons, drop them in the middle of the Serengeti with a tree and a herd of VERY hungry lions, monitor the entire thing with remotes cameras and make it a betting event on when they start

A: Trying to negotiate with the hungry lions since all predators are simply misunderstood herbivores and that the world is filled with unicorns shooting rainbows out their rears

B: Realize that A doesn't work and start sacrificing each other since Humans obviously doesn't rank the same high level as animals and animals should not be killed while humans are perfectly fine to kill to appease the animals

C: Finally realize that B is false and start throwing each other out of the tree for pure self preservation

D: Start making weapons out of tree branches since C is only delaying dying until you starve to death.

Anyone up for a guess?
"We? That better be you and that invisible aardwarck in your pocket you are talking about, because I KNOW you are not stupid enough to open a giant can of whoop ass by claiming you know what I think."
Stop Sylvia Browne
The_Fire is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2012, 02:15 PM   #50
Babbylonian
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
So does the First Family just not eat turkey for Thanksgiving dinner?

Or does the president make a show of pardoning these turkeys, even as the White House chef is busy dressing a pair of 22-pound Butterballs in the kitchen?

Seems like a pretty stupid tradition to me. Either the First Family should forgo turkey altogether for the holiday meal, or the President should graciously accept the generous gift of two premium birds, and put them to the traditional use enjoyed by Americans nationwide on that day.
It's supposed to be cute and humorous. With PETA's input, it's even more so this year.
Old 21st November 2012, 03:04 PM   #51
mikeyx
Banned

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
I strongly suspect they have a lot of members who are far worse than idiots.
the foot necklace leaves a lil bit tendon out so you can open and close the turkey fist.

Last edited by mikeyx; 21st November 2012 at 03:07 PM.
mikeyx is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2012, 03:08 PM   #52
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by Ryokan View Post
In Norway, reindeer are domesticated, so no need to shoot them.
Just invite them in, bash their heads and roast the buggers!!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2012, 03:36 PM   #53
StankApe
Banned

spare the rod, spoil the turkey
StankApe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2012, 05:38 PM   #54
michael44
Critical Thinker

http://www.circleoffood.com/blog/200...uffing-really/ Well, for what its worth, should Hostess really meet its demise, there's always the option of baking your own twinkling turkey using one of these>
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Official-Hos...item1c2db0a5fd .........
michael44 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2012, 06:44 PM   #55
KatieG
Master Poster

Originally Posted by StankApe View Post
There is no way on this planet that ANYBODY who has had delicious turkey and TURKEY ***** GRAVY!!!, could even fathom using the word 'overrated"

you are officially in time out!

I love freshly cooked turkey with potatoes/gravy, fresh cornbread (real southern cornbread, not that Yankee stuff that's more like cake) with real butter, and Jack Daniels pie. If I'm ever offered a last meal, that's what I'm ordering!

Then again, I don't really have to wait for a last meal, I can go cook all that myself!

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

My death will probably be caused by being sarcastic at the wrong time.
KatieG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2012, 06:50 PM   #56
jj
grumpy old skeptic

PETA- People for Eating Tasty Animals!
Old 21st November 2012, 07:38 PM   #57
ehcks
Master Poster

I'm gonna eat extra turkey tomorrow just because of this thread.

Hurray meat!
Old 21st November 2012, 07:42 PM   #58
rwguinn
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
According to the link in the link, nobody is going to eat either of these birds anyway.

If you eat all your turkeys at Thanksgiving, what are you going to have for Christmas dinner?

Rolfe.
In celebration of the Jewish boy who went into his Father's business, we eat pigs.
makes as much sense as most religious stuff...
I pointed out that his argument was wrong in every particular, but he rightfully took me to task for attacking only the weak points." Myriad http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?postid=6853275#post6853275
rwguinn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2012, 08:41 PM   #59
NewtonTrino
Illuminator

Putting out 20 pounder in the brine right now.

This thread makes me want to go buy a ham too.
NewtonTrino is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2012, 08:53 PM   #60
michael44
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Flo View Post
Being deliciously comestible is turkeys' divine punishment for being noisily stupid ...
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/episo...-episode/7378/ But really now, are turkeys as stupid as we think? Mind you's, i'm not just talking wild turkeys here, but the farm bred version as well. My main point for this thread being, we really should give plenty thanks for that which has been offered, whether in a divine way or not, as a means towards our survival. .. As for PETA, hope you's enjoyed the stuffing.
michael44 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2012, 09:53 PM   #61
fromdownunder
Illuminator

spare the rod, spoil the turkey
Stuff the bloody turkey!

Norm
fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2012, 10:42 PM   #62
Crocoshark
Critical Thinker

If God didn't want me eating babies, he wouldn't have made them from meat. Yummy, delicious meat.

For every baby you don't eat, I'm eating three.

For every PETA post on this thread . . . . I'm . . . I dunno, I usually think the discourse about PETA is pretty immature on both sides.
Crocoshark is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2012, 11:45 PM   #63
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

People Emboweling Testy Animal
Punks Eviscerating Tied Animals
People Entombing Terrified Animals.
Poopyheads Exacerbating Twinkie Adherents

Wash this space!

fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2012, 03:50 AM   #64
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

I am shocked, shocked I say by the incredibly creative and rational responses in the thread.
Old 22nd November 2012, 03:53 AM   #65
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

Ya know, these peta-people...The running joke in my family is that one should take these morons, drop them in the middle of the Serengeti with a tree and a herd of VERY hungry lions, monitor the entire thing with remotes cameras and make it a betting event on when they start

A: Trying to negotiate with the hungry lions since all predators are simply misunderstood herbivores and that the world is filled with unicorns shooting rainbows out their rears

B: Realize that A doesn't work and start sacrificing each other since Humans obviously doesn't rank the same high level as animals and animals should not be killed while humans are perfectly fine to kill to appease the animals

C: Finally realize that B is false and start throwing each other out of the tree for pure self preservation

D: Start making weapons out of tree branches since C is only delaying dying until you starve to death.

Anyone up for a guess?
I didn't know lions ate straw.
Old 22nd November 2012, 06:22 AM   #66
Wildy
Adelaidean

Originally Posted by Aepervius View Post
Also from a meat eater that's a pretty interresting statement.

Alternatively you might want to ask the mods to rename you as "Abel".
Why would he need to change his name? Cain was the organic vegan farmer who killed his factory farming brother Abel in revenge and also a desire to save all the little lambs from being slaughtered.

BTW, based on the title of this thread I thought PETA were asking Obama to eat more turkey.

Wildy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2012, 08:06 AM   #67
Aepervius
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Wildy View Post
Why would he need to change his name? Cain was the organic vegan farmer who killed his factory farming brother Abel in revenge and also a desire to save all the little lambs from being slaughtered.

BTW, based on the title of this thread I thought PETA were asking Obama to eat more turkey.
Oh yes you are right I had it wrong.

So god prefer meat eater.

"The Lord had regard for Abel and his offering, 5but He did not have regard for Cain and his offering. Cain was furious, and he was downcast"

I guess that settled then .

Last edited by Aepervius; 22nd November 2012 at 08:08 AM.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2012, 09:38 AM   #68
mumblethrax
Species traitor

Anyone up for a guess?
Ha! Sounds like a good idea for a reality show!

Personally, I thought we could just shoot them (I prefer crossbow hunting), since they want to be herbivores so much.

The important thing is that they're dead!
mumblethrax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2012, 09:51 AM   #69
ehcks
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Tsukasa Buddha View Post
I am shocked, shocked I say by the incredibly creative and rational responses in the thread.
Maybe if there weren't so many PETA threads with nothing new in them.

I'm all for animal welfare groups. If they can prove animals are being mistreated or needlessly harmed, I support them in removing the animals from their owner. But PETA isn't even a full step away from the lunacy of the Animal Liberation Front, and even funds them directly and openly.

They're so much against the ownership of pets that they kill a larger percent of strays than any shelter, so I'm compelled to be against them.

They're against the ownership of animals for any reason, which would mean the quick deaths of billions of domesticated animals that wouldn't last in the wild, followed by the deaths of billions of people from the lack of food. Attempted omnicide is not an action I can support.

I usually try to use three examples, but I have no idea how to follow up on that last point. That's how ludicrous they are. What do you want us to say?
Old 22nd November 2012, 01:17 PM   #70
DragonLady
Master Poster

Quote:
I usually try to use three examples, but I have no idea how to follow up on that last point. That's how ludicrous they are. What do you want us to say?
You could point out that when land is cleared for growing crops, wild animals are killed or displaced. No matter what, if a human is going to survive, an animal is going to die. There is no nice, tidy way around it.

Pass the roast, please?

“She would be half a planet away, floating in a turquoise sea, dancing by moonlight to flamenco guitar.” ~ Janet Fitch

The Gweat and Tewwible Winged One
DragonLady is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2012, 01:39 PM   #71
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Promoting vegetarianism isn't bad. The way PETA does it, is stupid. They don't understand that most people don't consider eating meat murder, probably because most people don't consider non-humans to be people. They also don't understand that trying to guilt people into not eating meat doesn't work because of the fact that eating meat isn't murder.

They need to recalibrate their strategy and just give people facts about nutrition, how eating too much meat may be bad. Maybe talk about the methane production of cows and global warming. Benefits of eating vegetarian only diets. Show off sexy, vegan models and such.

That said. I'm having some turkey today! Yum.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2012, 08:39 PM   #72
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by Wildy View Post

I think they are more into Tofurkey - may the FSM bless them with the loss of their tastebuds that they be not throwing up Thanksgiving dinner.

Wash this space!

Old 22nd November 2012, 08:45 PM   #73
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Promoting vegetarianism isn't bad. The way PETA does it, is stupid. They don't understand that most people don't consider eating meat murder, probably because most people don't consider non-humans to be people. They also don't understand that trying to guilt people into not eating meat doesn't work because of the fact that eating meat isn't murder.

They need to recalibrate their strategy and just give people facts about nutrition, how eating too much meat may be bad. Maybe talk about the methane production of cows and global warming. Benefits of eating vegetarian only diets. Show off sexy, vegan models and such.

That said. I'm having some turkey today! Yum.
Basically, they do not understand rational humans and how they function.

And, did you have bacon with your turkey? They are delicious together - Hot Brown or Club Sandwich anyone???

Wash this space!

Old 22nd November 2012, 08:46 PM   #74
StankApe
Banned

tomorrow or saturday will be Turkey Tetrasaagne (lik Terazinni, but made in lasagne form) That stuff is just incredible (good enuff for Jehova I would say!)
StankApe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2012, 08:49 PM   #75
KatieG
Master Poster

tomorrow or saturday will be Turkey Tetrasaagne (lik Terazinni, but made in lasagne form) That stuff is just incredible (good enuff for Jehova I would say!)
Turkey hash! That is all.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

My death will probably be caused by being sarcastic at the wrong time.
KatieG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2012, 10:04 PM   #76
LashL
Goddess of Legaltainment™
Administrator

Mmmmmmmmmm. Turkey. I actually eat roast turkey quite regularly, and not only on Thanksgiving and Christmas, but I couldn't resist posting in this thread for the lulz.
LashL is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2012, 04:45 PM   #77
michael44
Critical Thinker

And there's even a recipe for turkey dog bones. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/bries-t...rry-dog-bones/

EAT MORE TURKEY!!!
Old 23rd November 2012, 06:28 PM   #78
Stomatopoda
Muse

I really wish people would stop confusing conservation, animal welfare, and animal rights. The first two are reasonable and mostly sane.
Stomatopoda is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2012, 09:48 PM   #79
DragonLady
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Stomatopoda View Post
I really wish people would stop confusing conservation, animal welfare, and animal rights. The first two are reasonable and mostly sane.
Agreed!

“She would be half a planet away, floating in a turquoise sea, dancing by moonlight to flamenco guitar.” ~ Janet Fitch

The Gweat and Tewwible Winged One
DragonLady is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2012, 10:33 PM   #80
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

Actually, I'd argue that animal welfare is more irrational, as it is usually based on whatever arbitrary sentiments happen to catch a person's fancy. (Comparing the intellectual arguments for both camps, not the loons that might be in any camp.)

Last edited by Tsukasa Buddha; 23rd November 2012 at 10:35 PM.
Tsukasa Buddha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events