ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 22nd November 2012, 04:10 AM   #1
Sherlock
Muse

KVAL TV News 13 worst at paranormal promotion?

Anyone for tossing in what they consider the worst local TV station offender at producing and promoting paranormal charades as news?

Though Phoenix area CBS affiliate KPHO-TV certainly is a very close second, I'd put Eugene Oregon CBS affliate station KVAL TV News as the worst. It's clearly not able to separate paranormal shams and delusions from factual events.

Nor does it care to correct its coverage even after its been shown its news analysis was sensational and flawed.

And as I noted elsewhere on this forum KVAL-TV News 13 has continued for more than a year promoting Oregon psychic Laurie McQuary on its web site even after opening comments by two of its own news anchors were shown as completely untrue. It's even removed all of the critical feedback on its web site that countered KVAL TV News 13 publicly presented "news" falsehoods with facts.

Anyone else for the 2012 worst TV news station analysis and/or sensationalized paranormal offender?

Last edited by Sherlock; 22nd November 2012 at 04:11 AM.
Sherlock is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2012, 07:21 AM   #2
Squeegee Beckenheim
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Sherlock View Post
Laurie McQuary
Pronounced "Lorry Makwarry"?

Just made me giggle.
Squeegee Beckenheim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2012, 08:26 AM   #3
Ian
Thinker

This is not exactly about a news station, but when I went back to university for grad studies I was in line to get my ID and I saw an official university ad for a ghost tour. It wasn't scheduled for Hallowe'en.
Ian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2012, 01:25 PM   #4
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist

I haven't watched TV for quite a few years; but back when I still did, KTZZ channel 22 was the repository for all the psychic stuff. Especially infomercials like the Psychic Friends Network. KCPQ channel 13, in its early days as a FOX affiliate, was also notorious for airing psychic and other woo programs like "Alien Autopsy"; a history broadly lampooned by later FOX programs like Futurama.
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2012, 02:37 PM   #5
Sherlock
Muse

KTZZ-TV and KCPQ-TV paranormal themes?

Both KTZZ-TV and KCPQ-TV cover the Seattle-Tacoma areas. Any other stations highlighting the paranormal while nixing investigative fair-play rather than just passing along exaggerated spin?
Sherlock is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal