ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags iPhone 5 , Lumia 920 , Nexus 4 , smartphones

View Poll Results: Who's your smart daddy?
iPhone 5 6 16.22%
Nokia 920 3 8.11%
Nexus 4 4 10.81%
Other (please elaborate) 9 24.32%
Potato 11 29.73%
On Planet X, the smartphones have contracts on humans 4 10.81%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 23rd November 2012, 08:44 PM   #1
AJM8125
NWO Black Ops
Tagger

Contract up, time for a new smartphone...

I've been so busy of late that I didn't realize that my phone's been off contract for several months now. So time to pick a new one. After a few weeks of research I've narrowed the field down to three:

iPhone 5: (Favorite)

I know several people who've bought one and they're very happy with it. None report the widely circulated horror stories (scratched or otherwise damaged units, light bleed, purple haze, wifi connectivity issues, etc). I personally don't like that it's thinner and lighter. I like the weight and feel of of my iPhone 4. Couldn't care less about the larger screen. We all agree: Apple maps suck.

Nokia 920: (Upstart contender)

Don't know anyone who's got one yet but I was able to play with a demo model and... well... it was kinda slow for an LTE phone. Windows 8 was very fun and it looks to be a promising OS. Weight and feel similar to my iPhone. Excellent camera.

Nexus 4: (Dark horse)

Unlocked, pure un-bloatwared Android. Blazing fast, telling from the few that I've been able to get a hands-on. No LTE though and I'll have to wait for production to catch up to the back orders. Looks like a contender though.

Usage in order of importance:

1. Web browsing
2. Music
3. Gaming
4. Messaging
5. Phone.

AT&T will be the carrier of choice.
AJM8125 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2012, 08:51 PM   #2
BirdyBuddy
Terrorized by 'tiels

I'm sure you can guess what my recommendation would be...

Would it really be worth buying a phone with a two-year contract and not have LTE?
And you do quickly get used to and appreciate the lightness and size of the iPhone 5. The camera is very good too. Don't fall for the FUD.

Status: Playing Words with Friends, Cthulhu Edition... ^( ;,,; )^

Last edited by BirdyBuddy; 23rd November 2012 at 09:00 PM.
BirdyBuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2012, 09:05 PM   #3
AJM8125
NWO Black Ops
Tagger

Originally Posted by BirdyBuddy View Post
I'm sure you can guess what my recommendation would be...

Would it really be worth buying a phone with a two-year contract and not have LTE?
And you do quickly get used to and appreciate the lightness and size of the iPhone 5. The camera is very good too. Don't fall for the FUD.
Tequila!

oops, wrong thread.

Dunno... the Nexus was pretty damned fast on HSPA+.

I'm leaning toward the iPhone though... I guess you can say that I'm just asking questions.
AJM8125 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2012, 09:14 PM   #4
BirdyBuddy
Terrorized by 'tiels

Originally Posted by AJM8125 View Post
Dunno... the Nexus was pretty damned fast on HSPA+.

I'm leaning toward the iPhone though... I guess you can say that I'm just asking questions.
I'd also consider repair cost and ease of repair/replacement if it were dropped or failed. I know AT&T offers some sort of mail-in warranty plan, but Apple's coverage is just plain easy to deal with.

Status: Playing Words with Friends, Cthulhu Edition... ^( ;,,; )^
BirdyBuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2012, 09:27 PM   #5
AJM8125
NWO Black Ops
Tagger

Originally Posted by BirdyBuddy View Post
I know AT&T offers some sort of mail-in warranty plan, but Apple's coverage is just plain easy to deal with.
Ummmm...yeah. AT&T's insurance will replace an iPhone with a handset of their choice. Might be an iPhone, might not. I'll be going with AppleCare if I go with another iPhone.
Old 24th November 2012, 01:12 AM   #6
OnlyTellsTruths

Is there any particular reason why you don't have the Samsung Galaxy S III in your list?

It was the best selling smartphone in the world in Q3, and likely in all of 2012 as well.

Wal-Mart (or Sams Club) AT&T kiosks have them for $99 if you are due for an upgrade. And even if you get it at Wal-Mart they still have to give you customer service at the regular AT&T store.

That goes for all phones, not just the S3. Make sure what you are getting is not available at wal-mart. Nothing wrong with saving $50 to $100.
Old 24th November 2012, 01:40 AM   #7
Furi
Felix Sapiens

I am not looking to upgrade mine currently, (I also see no reason to have a quad core battery drainer) but I absolutely adore My Xperia S,

I find it nicer to hold and use (damn my girl like fine fingers and hands) I despise Apples business model so much That I love a sony (how weird is that),

I chose the Xperia because the display is super lully (yes even when compared to Samsungs, HTC's and Apples) I found the "Warm Tones" that many other screens insist on force feeding you "Espescially" iPhones via the camera forced colour balance are useless to a deuteronope.

which ever phone you get I would go for the most rugged that does what you need, and that seems to me to rule out the apple, Maybe the Motorola devices, or the HTCs, or if you don't want ultra top the huwaei devices, sure you will be pointed at, but when others are stuck with a cracked screen for something that wasn't covered on their insyrance plan for 14 months you can giggle as you drop your phone in a pint, shake it off and carry on watching kittens fall into the bath.

On another question will it look like a decent phone Black or Gunmetal Matte or are you going for the hairdresser white look.
Furi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2012, 03:39 AM   #8
OnlyTellsTruths

Originally Posted by Furi View Post
I am not looking to upgrade mine currently, (I also see no reason to have a quad core battery drainer) but I absolutely adore My Xperia S,

I find it nicer to hold and use (damn my girl like fine fingers and hands) I despise Apples business model so much That I love a sony (how weird is that)

Is that the one that can play Playstation 1 Classics? Or am I thinking of that sony Xperia play?

Either way, that would be awesome. Those types of games just don't work with touchscreen...
Old 24th November 2012, 04:44 AM   #9
Furi
Felix Sapiens

The S will do it too, and you hook it up via hdmi, and use a wireless controller with it instead of the on screen controls, it would be nice if they released an SDK for that platform of it ))
Furi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2012, 05:06 AM   #10
Hungry81
Critical Thinker

I would also recommend the Samsung galaxy S3 if you wish to upgrade right away. it covers all bases NFC LTE SD card ect. and you get a nice sized screen without it being too large. But also Keep in mind a few companies including Samsung are supposedly releasing durable/flexible phones next year.

IF you wish to stick with the phones on the list Then the nexus is a good choice. Nothing terribly wrong with HSPA+

Nothing too special about the iphone 5 other than you are already familiar with the interface and you will not have to re obtain your apps again if you go with that.

Personally its likely my next device will be an Asus Padfone 2. Great specs and converts into a tablet on the fly.

If you choose an android device are you aaware of XDA developers? Its a fantastic development and resource site.

Last edited by Hungry81; 24th November 2012 at 05:08 AM.
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2012, 05:59 AM   #11
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Since your number 1 priority is web browsing I would say go with the phone with the largest screen (that you are comfortable with the size of the phone) - that makes a huge difference when web browsing.

Web browsing and documents were my number 1 priority so I went with the Samsung Note (1) earlier this year as it had the largest screen and the physical size of the phone was fine for me - it didn't bother me as I'm too old to wear skinny jeans so it always fits in my pockets.

You'll find all the current generation of smartphones can do everything you'd want them to do, they all have their own unique quirks, strengths and weaknesses so I would say go with what you like the looks of and are comfortable with carrying around with you.

We (us folk in generally) seem to be doing more and more with our phones - they really should just be called "wireless devices" as the phone element tends to be one of the least used features - so I think you are right to go for the latest technology as that will give you some future proofing.

In regards to the iPhone choice - remember if you have older Apple or Apple compatible peripherals you'll probably need to buy some of the lightning to 30 pin adapters but double check first as some of the old peripherals don't work even with the adapter.
Old 24th November 2012, 06:02 AM   #12
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Hungry81 View Post
I would also recommend the Samsung galaxy S3 if you wish to upgrade right away. it covers all bases NFC LTE SD card ect. and you get a nice sized screen without it being too large. But also Keep in mind a few companies including Samsung are supposedly releasing durable/flexible phones next year.

...snip...
Slight derail - some of the reporting on "flexible" screens that may start appearing next year have misunderstood what is being talked about. It's usually about the screens being "flexible" in the manufacturing process - so the manufacturers can make screens with a bend in them and so on. It isn't referring to a device that would have a flexible screen that a user could flex.
Old 24th November 2012, 12:02 PM   #13
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

I'm very happy with my Galaxy S3. I don't think the iPhone 5 would be as good for browsing the internet or viewing pictures/video with that smaller screen with an odd ratio.
WildCat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2012, 12:04 PM   #14
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Slight derail - some of the reporting on "flexible" screens that may start appearing next year have misunderstood what is being talked about. It's usually about the screens being "flexible" in the manufacturing process - so the manufacturers can make screens with a bend in them and so on. It isn't referring to a device that would have a flexible screen that a user could flex.
Damn, I really wanted a phone that would bounce like a rubber ball when dropped rather than breaking!
WildCat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2012, 12:30 PM   #15
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

Outside of novelty, what's the point of a permament flexed screen. Flatscreens were a major development over bent tubes.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2012, 03:14 PM   #16
Hungry81
Critical Thinker

Oh that is a shame. Thank you for the correction. I knew that next years phones would still be fairly rigid, after all flexible battery tech is not as advanced as flexible screen tech, but I was still hoping for some flexability as a taste of further things to come (A phone that can survive in the back pocket, YEAH!). Oh well, Definitely padfone 2 for me.

Originally Posted by Beerina View Post
Outside of novelty, what's the point of a permament flexed screen. Flatscreens were a major development over bent tubes.
If its flexible it can be put into many things. For example you could conceivably wear a totally flexable phone like a watch, and remove it if you need to straighten it out to use like a current phone if you need to. Or you could possibly have a phone that fits in your pocket, but can fold out to tablet size, or a tablet that folds out to tv size ect. The flexible screens are also supposed to be very durable. Check out youtube, There are many videos of prototype materials.

Last edited by Hungry81; 24th November 2012 at 03:22 PM.
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2012, 04:42 PM   #17
AJM8125
NWO Black Ops
Tagger

Originally Posted by OnlyTellsTruths View Post
Is there any particular reason why you don't have the Samsung Galaxy S III in your list?
Not that I have anything against the S3, I think it's an excellent phone. It's that my carrier (AT&T) is dragging its feet on rolling out Jellybean. I know too many Android users whose devices aren't supported anymore. I don't want to buy a phone only to have it abandoned by a carrier who's more interested in selling new phones than updating old ones for free.

We (us folk in generally) seem to be doing more and more with our phones - they really should just be called "wireless devices" as the phone element tends to be one of the least used features - so I think you are right to go for the latest technology as that will give you some future proofing.
That's exactly what I want to do - I think the phones on my list give me the best chance of staying current, though WP8 is still a question mark. Time will tell.

In regards to the iPhone choice - remember if you have older Apple or Apple compatible peripherals you'll probably need to buy some of the lightning to 30 pin adapters but double check first as some of the old peripherals don't work even with the adapter.
Not a consideration for me as I don't have any peripherals for my iPhone. But browsing around looking at some of the stuff available - I might have more shopping to do if I go with the 5.

Last edited by AJM8125; 24th November 2012 at 04:53 PM.
Old 24th November 2012, 05:08 PM   #18
quadraginta
What was the question?

Since your number 1 priority is web browsing I would say go with the phone with the largest screen (that you are comfortable with the size of the phone) - that makes a huge difference when web browsing.

Web browsing and documents were my number 1 priority so I went with the Samsung Note (1) earlier this year as it had the largest screen and the physical size of the phone was fine for me - it didn't bother me as I'm too old to wear skinny jeans so it always fits in my pockets.

<snip>
I've been giving a lot of thought to the Note2. All of the tech specs are superlative, and the Wacom stylus is particularly attractive.

One of the things I liked the best about the Motion tablet (Windows XP) I had at work eight years ago was its functionality as an electric legal pad. The handwriting OCR was quite good (although I didn't bother to use it much ...emails mostly), and if it hadn't done something like that I would have needed a legal pad on a clipboard to tote around with the tablet anyway. Kudos for One-Note.

I really liked that gadget.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2012, 10:07 PM   #19
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

I also vote Samsung Galaxy.

I have a Galaxy Pocket and to keep things cheap I put a prepaid SIM card in and have it connected only to my home wireless network.
psionl0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2012, 11:24 PM   #20
OnlyTellsTruths

Not that I have anything against the S3, I think it's an excellent phone. It's that my carrier (AT&T) is dragging its feet on rolling out Jellybean. I know too many Android users whose devices aren't supported anymore. I don't want to buy a phone only to have it abandoned by a carrier who's more interested in selling new phones than updating old ones for free.

I'm pretty sure after you get it home, when you hook it up to Keys (or whatever that's called, the official Samsung software), you can upgrade it your self.
Old 25th November 2012, 12:28 AM   #21
Baylor
Philosopher

Usage in order of importance:

1. Web browsing
2. Music
3. Gaming
4. Messaging
5. Phone.
Web browsing number 1 priority? But you quit word association. Best to go with a flip phone.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2012, 12:31 AM   #22
FFed
Muse

I have had my Galaxy S3 for a month now and love it. If you are a 13 year old girl then the iphone is for you.
FFed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2012, 12:39 AM   #23
OnlyTellsTruths

Originally Posted by FFed View Post
I have had my Galaxy S3 for a month now and love it. If you are a 13 year old girl then the iphone is for you.

I know you meant that kind of uncivilly but that brings up a good point.

If someone was asking me what smartphone to get a kid between 5 and 12 or so, I would recommend iPhone for various reasons.
Old 25th November 2012, 04:05 AM   #24
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

....snip..,.
An update not being available does not mean the previous version stops working. Samsung have been supporting by upgrading the underlying version on Android for at least the previous version and current version of their flagship ship phones for a couple of years.
Old 26th November 2012, 10:34 AM   #25
BitterChimp
Scholar

Or an elderly person.

$0.02

or...me.
BitterChimp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2012, 11:12 AM   #26
SatansMaleVoiceChoir
Illuminator

I know you meant that kind of uncivilly but that brings up a good point.

If someone was asking me what smartphone to get a kid between 5 and 12 or so, I would recommend iPhone for various reasons.
Um... Why? I've seen hundreds of people with iPhones and none have been 5 year olds, or 12 year olds?

Do not believe hastily. - Ovid

There is no worse lie than a truth misunderstood by those who hear it. - William James
SatansMaleVoiceChoir is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2012, 11:26 AM   #27
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

MyTouch "4"G

I wouldn't recommend it. I can't tell if it's T-Mobile, or the phone itself.

-Henry David Thoreau
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2012, 11:32 AM   #28
OnlyTellsTruths

Originally Posted by SatansMaleVoiceChoir View Post
Um... Why? I've seen hundreds of people with iPhones and none have been 5 year olds, or 12 year olds?

What in the world does the type of people you have seen with Product A have to do with whether or not it would be a good product for another type of people??

Unless you are assuming it was exclusionary it seems you are having a bit of a gap in your logic.

Me: Ron would like cake.

SatansMaleVoiceChoir: Why? I've seen hundreds of people like cake, and none of them were Ron!!
Old 26th November 2012, 02:54 PM   #29
SatansMaleVoiceChoir
Illuminator

What in the world does the type of people you have seen with Product A have to do with whether or not it would be a good product for another type of people??

Unless you are assuming it was exclusionary it seems you are having a bit of a gap in your logic.

Me: Ron would like cake.

SatansMaleVoiceChoir: Why? I've seen hundreds of people like cake, and none of them were Ron!!
Yeah... I've never seen a 5 year old with ANY smartphone, let alone an iPhone - that was kind of my point... I wouldn't recommend a £400+ smartphone for a 5 year old at all, and I don't really know anybody who would.

And I'm pretty sure the OP isn't 5 or 12 either, so Christ knows where you were going with that.

There is no worse lie than a truth misunderstood by those who hear it. - William James

Last edited by SatansMaleVoiceChoir; 26th November 2012 at 02:57 PM.
SatansMaleVoiceChoir is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2012, 03:03 PM   #30
BitterChimp
Scholar

Yeah... I've never seen a 5 year old with ANY smartphone, let alone an iPhone
My young nieces and nephew all have iPhones; ages 4, 6, 12, 16.

Old 26th November 2012, 03:04 PM   #31
BitterChimp
Scholar

Now I want cake.
Old 26th November 2012, 08:36 PM   #32
AJM8125
NWO Black Ops
Tagger

I'm pretty sure after you get it home, when you hook it up to Keys (or whatever that's called, the official Samsung software), you can upgrade it your self.
For Sprint and T-Mobile at the moment, yes. Jelly Bean isn't available for AT&T S3s yet as far as I know.

Originally Posted by UNLoVedRebel View Post
Web browsing number 1 priority? But you quit word association. Best to go with a flip phone.
hater

Ease of use, highly durable, excellent parental controls. I agree.
Old 27th November 2012, 01:28 AM   #33
SatansMaleVoiceChoir
Illuminator

Originally Posted by BitterChimp View Post
My young nieces and nephew all have iPhones; ages 4, 6, 12, 16.

Well, far be it from me to comment on what your siblings are thinking buying a 4 and a 6 year old child a £400+ smartphone. I can however, say that they have excellent taste, and it's clear that they want nothing but the best for their children; most parents would have fobbed such a young child off with some cheap and nasty Android/Samsung POS...

Old 27th November 2012, 04:17 AM   #34
OnlyTellsTruths

Well, far be it from me to comment on what your siblings are thinking buying a 4 and a 6 year old child a £400+ smartphone. I can however, say that they have excellent taste, and it's clear that they want nothing but the best for their children; most parents would have fobbed such a young child off with some cheap and nasty Android/Samsung POS...

Tell us how you really feel.
Old 27th November 2012, 06:26 AM   #35
MortFurd
Graduate Poster

I. Just. Don't. Get. It.

Why do people sign up for cell phone service and basically lease the phone from the provider? You pay more for the phone+service than you would to buy the phone and sign up for service separately. The phone is then yours, you aren't tied to one provider, and you don't have to buy a new phone every time you turn around.

What gives?

Last edited by MortFurd; 27th November 2012 at 06:27 AM.
MortFurd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2012, 06:31 AM   #36
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Originally Posted by MortFurd View Post
I. Just. Don't. Get. It.

Why do people sign up for cell phone service and basically lease the phone from the provider? You pay more for the phone+service than you would to buy the phone and sign up for service separately. The phone is then yours, you aren't tied to one provider, and you don't have to buy a new phone every time you turn around.

What gives?
I haven't seen that here, you pay the same for service no matter what.

And besides, my work pays for the phone service.
Old 27th November 2012, 06:37 AM   #37
MortFurd
Graduate Poster

Take a look at some of the online offers. Service alone runs to about $30 per month less than service+phone. For two years, that's over 700 dollars more. I can buy a damn good phone for that price, or I can buy a cheaper phone and save the difference.
MortFurd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2012, 08:28 AM   #38
Thinker

Take a look at some of the online offers. Service alone runs to about $30 per month less than service+phone. For two years, that's over 700 dollars more. I can buy a damn good phone for that price, or I can buy a cheaper phone and save the difference.
Some people can't shell out that much for a new phone instantaneously. There would be no point for the contracts otherwise.
100 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2012, 08:36 AM   #39
BitterChimp
Scholar

FWIW, they didn't buy them. The dad is the IT director for a large agency. Every time the latest iPhones come out, all the execs get the them, leaving him with lots of the last version.

The youngest two don't have mobile service.
Old 27th November 2012, 08:39 AM   #40
BitterChimp
Scholar

I. Just. Don't. Get. It.

Why do people sign up for cell phone service and basically lease the phone from the provider? You pay more for the phone+service than you would to buy the phone and sign up for service separately.
Loss aversion bias.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet