ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags john edward , mediums , psychics

Old 26th November 2012, 09:26 PM   #281
HotNostril
Thinker

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
Seems odd that your father has three grandkids but wanted to talk about your refrigerator.
Agreed! Lol

I would imagine anyone truly possessing such an extraordinary gift would busy themselves with truly important communications with deceased brilliant great thinkers like scientists, perhaps find lost and abducted children, find the holy grail....I dunno, anything but fridge chat! Eye roll.
HotNostril is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2012, 09:29 PM   #282
xterra
So far, so good...

Location: On the outskirts of Nowhere; the middle was too crowded
Seems odd that your father has three grandkids but wanted to talk about your refrigerator.

A good point and the loss of what would have been a perfect opportunity:

Robin: "Ask my father what nicknames he used for his grandchildren."

JE: "Does one of the names have an ST sound?"

Robin: "Are you asking me or my father?"

Why does no one ever seem to do this in these settings?

xterra, who does not mean this in an insulting way.
xterra is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2012, 09:34 PM   #283
quarky
Banned

Robin, I hope you're at least lurking.
Non-believers as you call them, can be fun people.
I'm not one of the fun people, but I have laughed a few times at them.

Here's what I think we're missing:

Data mining.
There are a bunch of companies that do it.
If you dig into it a bit, it's quite stunning what information can be obtained about anyone and everyone.

If you reverse engineer this, and data mine for people that are interested in psychics, you've narrowed the search. We leave a constant trail of collectible data. It would be easy to have a picture of the customer and spot them as they came in.

With a hidden head set, a compatriot could send relevant data on the spot, wirelessly, regarding many people in the crowd. This sort of thing is getting easier and easier.
there's a very cool documentary about data mining companies; I forget the name; saw it on streaming netflix. It is quite stunning what is available.

I suspect what appears to be the occasional very lucky (but inevitable) really hot channeling, is the psychic going easy. If you knew too much, it would draw too much attention and doubt. It's important to be human, I guess.

But I think it's absurd to discount the technology of data-mining, and wireless transmission devices that are tiny.

If I was a psychic, and you were in pain over the loss of your dad, and would hang out with you, and be very kind, and listen to your stories and feelings...and even your religious inclinations and hopes...with absolutely no mockery. I would hold your hand, if you wanted. I would make you tea. I'd help you make a photo album.

I do this sort of thing, as do most of us, I suspect. I don't charge any money, and have nothing to sell. I would spend no time trying to convince you of my super power. What's that got to do with you and your dad? Refrigerator? Valerie? You're aching to make some bond with your father, and you end up making it with the psychic instead.

That seems a shame to me. Come here. I'm a believer in the power of non-believers believing in the belief of believers and non-believers alike. Yet, I'm dizzy.
quarky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2012, 09:34 PM   #284
Baylor
Philosopher

Parky's back!
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2012, 09:34 PM   #285
RemieV
Lostie, Pirate, Snape Lover

What a silly little tangent. If I proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that the dead were constantly communicating the word 'Cantaloupe', the response would be "Harharhar, dumb dead people!"?

I mean, really, it's one thing to be skeptical of someone's experience and say that their evidence isn't good enough, and an entirely different one to crap all over their experience and mock what they believe their dead relative was trying to communicate to them.
Old 26th November 2012, 09:34 PM   #286
truethat
Penultimate Amazing

He doesn't need to hack into your credit card to find out information about you. These days all you need is a name. I found out a lot of information about you and pix of your three kids etc etc. It's remarkably easy.

In addition I was able to find out how your father died and your maiden name on sites that charged for you to join. I would imagine it's very easy for John Edwards to have a team of people who research potential guests with the aim of it being an huge event that you've spent quite a bit of money on and he wants you to have a good time. To feel you've walked away with something.

As a public speaker myself who charges people, when I have a bad class it bothers me tremendously.

He's a show man and wants to set up a good audience experience. Even the apostles did this in the Bible when they would speak to crowds. They'd slightly change the sermon to match the type of audience to whom they were speaking.

If your brother didn't realize the Valerie Harper connection until the next day it is just a coincidence. I can't tell you the number of times I've mentioned a celebrity or something like that and then days later they are in the news. Coincidences like this happen all the time.

I read your "slippers" story about your Nana and that also is a weird coincidence but one that you forced. Your nana kept saying don't forget the slippers, but there was no connection to your nana with the slippers until after the fact. You created the connection based on a coincidence.

This is something people do all the time. It's a normal reaction. It doesn't mean John Edwards is psychic or that your Nana visited you in a dream.

Thanks for replying though.

― Julie Rugg, A Book Addict's Treasury
truethat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2012, 09:38 PM   #287
RemieV

Robin, I hope you will trek back through the thread and read my posts. You asked for a skeptic who has seen John Edward do something amazing in person. Right here.
Old 26th November 2012, 09:45 PM   #288
Robin1
Banned

Yes you found out a lot of information about me..exactly the information that would NOT impress me if a medium told me because I KNOW that is all easily verifiable information through the Internet. And so I will pose a final challenge to the members of this thread...What did I buy on my credit card today?
Robin1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2012, 09:47 PM   #289
TheGoldcountry
Master Poster

Originally Posted by RemieV View Post
Robin, I hope you will trek back through the thread and read my posts. You asked for a skeptic who has seen John Edward do something amazing in person. Right here.
Don't hold your breath.
Old 26th November 2012, 09:48 PM   #290
TheGoldcountry
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Robin Stettnisch View Post
Yes you found out a lot of information about me..exactly the information that would NOT impress me if a medium told me because I KNOW that is all easily verifiable information through the Internet. And so I will pose a final challenge to the members of this thread...What did I buy on my credit card today?
Food. Do I win?
Old 26th November 2012, 09:50 PM   #291
RemieV

Originally Posted by TheGoldcountry View Post
Food. Do I win?
We can think this out, surely. It's Cyber Monday. Something on amazon.com.
Old 26th November 2012, 09:52 PM   #292
Robin1
Banned

RemieV, thank you for posting about....among other things.. your experience with John Edward and your own very interesting "coincidences." Perhaps you have some psychic ability of your own that can be nurtured? Just sayin.
Robin1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2012, 09:52 PM   #293
quarky
Banned

I'm new to the whole psychic thing, and don't post much over here.
What I'm seeing is people desiring evidence of life after death...for their own peace of mind...and not so much a desire to communicate with a dead relative.

As an agnostic sort of nerd, I can happily bare philosophical discussions on various possibilities of consciousness beyond this lump of flesh. I've started several. Had tomatoes thrown at me. In retrospect, that was sweet of the bastards. It could have been rocks.

But to promote JE is like a brand endorsement sort of thing.
One loses sight of the product.
If what you seek is evidence of life after death, I think there could be a cool rap.
If what you seek is to promote JE, that would be less fun.
quarky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2012, 09:53 PM   #294
TheGoldcountry
Master Poster

We can think this out, surely. It's Cyber Monday. Something on amazon.com.
I leave it to you. I haven't watched the last "The Walking Dead" episode, so I'll check in later.
Old 26th November 2012, 09:54 PM   #295
Robin1
Banned

TheGoldCountry....No, but I think I do.
Old 26th November 2012, 09:55 PM   #296
TheGoldcountry
Master Poster

RemieV, thank you for posting about....among other things.. your experience with John Edward and your own very interesting "coincidences." Perhaps you have some psychic ability of your own that can be nurtured? Just sayin.
I think she has a "brain" and an education. and experience. Just sayin'
Old 26th November 2012, 09:55 PM   #297
quarky
Banned

nothing.

good for you!
Old 26th November 2012, 09:56 PM   #298
Robin1
Banned

That seems like fishing to me.
Old 26th November 2012, 09:58 PM   #299
TheGoldcountry
Master Poster

That seems like fishing to me.
Good for you! We were fishing. Sounds similar to.... I can't remember... somebody help me here......
Old 26th November 2012, 09:59 PM   #300
truethat
Penultimate Amazing

It's not about finding out what you bought on your credit card. That's what you seem to have missed. You were saying that he said to you ST and you weren't sure if he was talking to you. So you changed what you said in the beginning. You were in a group of four and he was doing a classic cold read.

I'm sensing an ST ??? You say "Oh is that maybe me?" He says "Are you the one that bought a new refrigerator" and you go nuts and say yes. Then he follows up with a completely unpsychic normal conversation that people have about fridges, "fingerprints" and then you attributed that to his psychic ability as well.

You see. What you don't seem to understand is that even if you had said no, he would have made it work anyway.

Also you have not answered some questions. How long did he work with you and are those the only two things he said. Did he miss with other details at all?

truethat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2012, 10:00 PM   #301
RemieV

Pajamas on amazon.com! I'm testing to see if I have psychic abilities. Queen of clubs!
Old 26th November 2012, 10:00 PM   #302
Robin1
Banned

The point Quarky is ...all the people here who think it is so easy to hack my credit card...tell me what I purchased...exactly what I purchased. Some answers...food...something on Amazon.com...those sound very James Van Praaghy to me.
Old 26th November 2012, 10:02 PM   #303
truethat
Penultimate Amazing

Ok let's try this. I'm getting a sense of an older kitchen, not your home and a drawer in the kitchen that is filled the odd sorts of things. There are three things in that drawer that are of significance to your Nana, one of them is an old button. I'm not sure what the other two are yet. Is this ringing a bell?

Old 26th November 2012, 10:03 PM   #304
TheGoldcountry
Master Poster

Pajamas on amazon.com! I'm testing to see if I have psychic abilities. Queen of clubs!
If 52 of us guess, we might be right. That one person will be extraordinary!

ETA: that's not correct, math nerds, I know.
Old 26th November 2012, 10:06 PM   #305
TheGoldcountry
Master Poster

Originally Posted by truethat View Post
Ok let's try this. I'm getting a sense of an older kitchen, not your home and a drawer in the kitchen that is filled the odd sorts of things. There are three things in that drawer that are of significance to your Nana, one of them is an old button. I'm not sure what the other two are yet. Is this ringing a bell?
I have something in my right hand right now. Can you guess?
Old 26th November 2012, 10:07 PM   #306
truethat
Penultimate Amazing

Thinking about Nana and the drawer I get the idea that the other thing in that drawer has to do with Christmas or Christ or something like that. Nana wants you to use it this year. She said she gave it to you and yet you haven't used it right. I'm getting an image of string as well. Twine something else that is part of the drawer thing.

Old 26th November 2012, 10:08 PM   #307
truethat
Penultimate Amazing

I have something in my right hand right now. Can you guess?

Don't be a pig.

Old 26th November 2012, 10:09 PM   #308
HotNostril
Thinker

Good for you! We were fishing. Sounds similar to.... I can't remember... somebody help me here......
I'm seeing the letter "j"
HotNostril is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2012, 10:09 PM   #309
RemieV

See, my point, and truethat's as well, was that one can go around yelling "You bought pajamas on amazon.com!" for a while and eventually be right. The reason that will eventually work is that it's Christmastime, and lots of people have a tradition of buying pajamas at this time of year. If I don't want people to notice that I'm just trying to read them, I can do one of two things: I can start small and say "Something for the holiday season"; or I can just switch up what the item is and keep it one that I know people are buying right now. iPads, iPhones, Christmas trees, holiday decorations - hell, I can even go to amazon.com and see what they have on sale for Cyber Monday and keep in mind a list of ten things. Eventually, if I keep going, something is going to stick with SOMEONE. And the thing is, even with the people where it doesn't stick, I can make it work.

Me (Knowing that a vast portion of the population either just bought a Christmas tree or is just about to): Did you buy a Christmas tree?

If you did just today, it's super impressive. If you did within the past two weeks, it's super impressive. If you didn't, you are either about to or already have one or have a poignant memory of one - even if you don't celebrate Christmas, you probably have one of, say, Rockefeller Plaza.

So if I'm really good, I can wriggle my way out of it no matter the response. If I'm really LUCKY, then you answer "Yes" to the very first question and BAM, you think I'm psychic.
Old 26th November 2012, 10:13 PM   #310
LashL
Goddess of Legaltainment™
Administrator

Five grandkids, actually.

But yes, I'm sure the first thing on the deceased grandpa's mind was a refrigerator that one of his three kids may have purchased recently. I mean, geez, if I was dead and wanted to communicate with my living children, I would absolutely focus on something ridiculous like that, instead of, you know, just communicating my name and asking about the kids and grandkids using their names, for instance.
LashL is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2012, 10:16 PM   #311
RemieV

Now, let's think about refrigerators as well. Where could he have gone with refrigerator?

Well, parents put stuff their kids did on their refrigerators and he knew he was talking about a parent.

Him: Did you just buy a refrigerator?

You (in this fictional world): No.

Him: He keeps showing me a refrigerator. I'm not sure why. Did he put your things on the refrigerator when you got a good grade, or drew a picture? Because I'm seeing a refrigerator with fingerprints all over it.

See? In that context, a refrigerator with fingerprints all over it is an entirely different thing. Instead of the imagery of you buying a new refrigerator, it sounds a lot more like a fridge with children's fingerpaintings on it. Perhaps his surprise was at the fact that you did not take this obvious piece of bait (one that would have a high familial association) and instead went with the one you just bought.
Old 26th November 2012, 10:17 PM   #312
truethat
Penultimate Amazing

See, my point, and truethat's as well, was that one can go around yelling "You bought pajamas on amazon.com!" for a while and eventually be right. The reason that will eventually work is that it's Christmastime, and lots of people have a tradition of buying pajamas at this time of year. If I don't want people to notice that I'm just trying to read them, I can do one of two things: I can start small and say "Something for the holiday season"; or I can just switch up what the item is and keep it one that I know people are buying right now. iPads, iPhones, Christmas trees, holiday decorations - hell, I can even go to amazon.com and see what they have on sale for Cyber Monday and keep in mind a list of ten things. Eventually, if I keep going, something is going to stick with SOMEONE. And the thing is, even with the people where it doesn't stick, I can make it work.

Me (Knowing that a vast portion of the population either just bought a Christmas tree or is just about to): Did you buy a Christmas tree?

If you did just today, it's super impressive. If you did within the past two weeks, it's super impressive. If you didn't, you are either about to or already have one or have a poignant memory of one - even if you don't celebrate Christmas, you probably have one of, say, Rockefeller Plaza.

So if I'm really good, I can wriggle my way out of it no matter the response. If I'm really LUCKY, then you answer "Yes" to the very first question and BAM, you think I'm psychic.
Again Robin pointed out that he seemed shocked when she said yes.

Old 26th November 2012, 10:18 PM   #313
Robin1
Banned

K you guys win...I'm outta here. Running, screaming to the land of believers! But it was fun while it lasted! Peace.
Old 26th November 2012, 10:19 PM   #314
AdMan
Philosopher

From someone who's been an amateur magician and mentalist for years, and who's dabbled in cold reading off and on as well, I have to say this has turned into a very cool thread. Thanks, RemieV for dropping by and adding your POV. Your experience in the MDC and alongside Randi and attending readings with Edward et al is invaluable. Thanks for sharing. Having been a believer long ago (as a kid, really), and having come to have a skeptic viewpoint through what I think is reason and evidence, I still find this kind of discussion fascinating.

Last edited by AdMan; 26th November 2012 at 10:35 PM.
AdMan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2012, 10:22 PM   #315
truethat
Penultimate Amazing

K you guys win...I'm outta here. Running, screaming to the land of believers! But it was fun while it lasted! Peace.
If I'm right about the drawer come back and let me know OK? Promise.

Old 26th November 2012, 10:28 PM   #316
quarky
Banned

The point Quarky is ...all the people here who think it is so easy to hack my credit card...tell me what I purchased...exactly what I purchased. Some answers...food...something on Amazon.com...those sound very James Van Praaghy to me.
Yeah, but I was right.
But even if I'm not, I had a fair chance.
The thing with data mining is that you need a good reason to employ those services. Most of it is done so that corporations can hone in on likely customers of their product. It's cost effective to know more about your customer base, even though you pay for the service.

No one here, hopefully, has any interest in poking into your data trail. It would be obnoxious and time consuming. I feel that the nasty cynics are more concerned in turning you on to some of the ways that various scams operate.

45 years ago, I stumbled onto a spiritual book. I wish I remembered its name.
One piece of advise it had that stuck with me all this time, regarding various healers and shamans and psychics: If any of them are real, they will take no money and they will shun fame.

I guess that's fairly moralistic, but I liked it then. It's still good today, for me.
Saves money; allows a niche for saints.

Selfless service is the stuff, whether you're on one end or the other of it.
Plumbers need to get paid.
Holy men need to not get paid, quite specifically. For them and for us.
Old 26th November 2012, 10:28 PM   #317
TheGoldcountry
Master Poster

Robin, don't leave. I'm very cynical, and I sometimes make fun of the credulous. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I would give anything to communicate with my father, my grandparents, or the many friends and cousins whom I've personally lost.

We (and I don't like speaking for others because we all have our own minds) just need evidence. That's my mind, others might write more eloquently.
Old 26th November 2012, 10:32 PM   #318
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by truethat View Post
Thinking about Nana and the drawer I get the idea that the other thing in that drawer has to do with Christmas or Christ or something like that. Nana wants you to use it this year. She said she gave it to you and yet you haven't used it right. I'm getting an image of string as well. Twine something else that is part of the drawer thing.
I getting the maid, in the basement with a death ray.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2012, 10:34 PM   #319
truethat
Penultimate Amazing

I'm actually completely serious. It's the picture that I got in my mind while reading her blog about Nana and the slippers. It would be interesting if it turned out to be a hit.

Old 26th November 2012, 10:42 PM   #320
quarky
Banned

I see my dead father and brother all the time in my dreams. In the dreams, they aren't dead, and it's never an issue. We're all in the same state of being in those dreams.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal