ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags john edward , mediums , psychics

Old 26th November 2012, 10:46 PM   #321
AdMan
Philosopher

Originally Posted by quarky View Post
I see my dead father and brother all the time in my dreams. In the dreams, they aren't dead, and it's never an issue. We're all in the same state of being in those dreams.

Dreams are constructed of our current thoughts and older memories. No surprise that we see departed family members in them.
Old 26th November 2012, 10:51 PM   #322
TheGoldcountry
Master Poster

Originally Posted by quarky View Post
I see my dead father and brother all the time in my dreams. In the dreams, they aren't dead, and it's never an issue. We're all in the same state of being in those dreams.
Oh, me too. I talk to my dad in my dreams. I also wake up.

I have no idea what you're trying to say, but I'm still pretty sure that you're wrong. -Akhenaten
TheGoldcountry is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2012, 10:55 PM   #323
truethat
Penultimate Amazing

You wanna read something really bizarre. A few nights ago I had a lucid dream. I have a tendency to talk in my sleep. In my dream I was talking in my sleep and my husband was sleeping next to me telling me in a very mean way to shut up. Then I woke up in the dream, still in a lucid state, thinking, wow I was just dreaming about talking to him. I started muttering "I'm sorry" in the second stage and my husband was very sweet and kind and then told me he wanted to show me something under the bed. We got up and looked and it was the other mean husband on the other side trying to get me to come underneath to this creepy place under the bed. I woke up with a jolt and turned to my husband in the bed and hugged him and realized that this was also another lucid dream. He got up to go to work and I was dreaming as if I couldn't shake off the dream but thought I was half awake.

I couldn't figure out how to wake up or who was the real husband. So I leaned over and kissed my husband pretty passionately waking him up out of a sleep. When he kissed me back he woke me up out of it and it was dark and 4 o'clock in the morning.

It was so so very weird. Dreams can be freaky.

― Julie Rugg, A Book Addict's Treasury
truethat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2012, 11:05 PM   #324
TheGoldcountry
Master Poster

Originally Posted by truethat View Post
You wanna read something really bizarre. A few nights ago I had a lucid dream. I have a tendency to talk in my sleep. In my dream I was talking in my sleep and my husband was sleeping next to me telling me in a very mean way to shut up. Then I woke up in the dream, still in a lucid state, thinking, wow I was just dreaming about talking to him. I started muttering "I'm sorry" in the second stage and my husband was very sweet and kind and then told me he wanted to show me something under the bed. We got up and looked and it was the other mean husband on the other side trying to get me to come underneath to this creepy place under the bed. I woke up with a jolt and turned to my husband in the bed and hugged him and realized that this was also another lucid dream. He got up to go to work and I was dreaming as if I couldn't shake off the dream but thought I was half awake.

I couldn't figure out how to wake up or who was the real husband. So I leaned over and kissed my husband pretty passionately waking him up out of a sleep. When he kissed me back he woke me up out of it and it was dark and 4 o'clock in the morning.

"Freaky" doesn't really encompass that feeling. I frequently need to remind myself, and correct myself, when dreams conflict with reality.

I have no idea what you're trying to say, but I'm still pretty sure that you're wrong. -Akhenaten
TheGoldcountry is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2012, 11:06 PM   #325
quarky
Banned

Originally Posted by AdMan View Post
Dreams are constructed of our current thoughts and older memories. No surprise that we see departed family members in them.
Sure.
The somewhat surprising aspect, to me, is that they are never corpses in the dreams. I saw them dead. I saw them die. Yet, in the dreams, somehow that's never relevant data. We're usually just doing something ridiculous, but interesting. And then I wake up. I wonder why I never dream of them dead?

I'm also curious if this is common. I've never actually discussed it with anyone.
Its also somewhat 'conspicuous' in my dreams, that there are some people that I was very close to that died, and I never see them in my dreams.
quarky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2012, 11:09 PM   #326
michael44
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Robin Stettnisch View Post
K you guys win...I'm outta here. Running, screaming to the land of believers! But it was fun while it lasted! Peace.
What? Your leaving already? Honestly, I happen to also believe in the after life. Fortunately, it has nothing to do with people like John Edwards. Tickets to Valerie Harpers Broadway show, a new fridge, Pearl Harbor, all of which can be easily found in attribution to any information you may have offered up to even the most inexperienced of private investigators. .. All BS aside. My first experience was while comatized by undiagnosed diabetes. At a blood sugar exceding 1000, I briefly died, during which time a group of unknown people appeared. (no light at the end of the tunnel, sorry) At the same time, I felt welcomed and accepted by this group, somehow I managed to slip back into consciousness. That was about it. .. Second time was when my brother in law died of an anuerism. Early in the morning after his funeral, I felt something/someone tug on both my ankles as if to send a message, (or wake my ass up). My first thought was it was my brother in law Tim. .. Well anyways, this was my experience with what may have been the afterlife. Whether its something to believe in, well, even I don't know. One things for certain though, scam artists like John Edwards or Sylvia whats her name, will never have a clue as to a true aberation.
michael44 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2012, 11:13 PM   #327
12AX7
Glowing red!

But listen I don't have time to beg anyone to read my link I just mistakenly thought the people on this site were seeking knowledge. Obviously I was wrong.

You made an assertion of proof of life after death. Lay out your case here and be prepared to defend it. Real simple format.
12AX7 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2012, 11:19 PM   #328
TheGoldcountry
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Elypsis44 View Post
You made an assertion of proof of life after death. Lay out your case here and be prepared to defend it. Real simple format.
Overused but apropos: QFT

Old 27th November 2012, 01:06 AM   #329
SezMe
post-pre-born

I'm actually completely serious. It's the picture that I got in my mind while reading her blog about Nana and the slippers. It would be interesting if it turned out to be a hit.
Why? What in the world would be interesting about it? You, yourself, would think, "Wow, what a coincidence!". You would not look for deeper meaning. You wouldn't start believing in psychics. You wouldn't think you have any special gift. None of those thoughts would occur to anyone else here either.

The total reaction would be, "Meh". Not interesting at all.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2012, 01:22 AM   #330
pakeha
Penultimate Amazing

Hi, all.
Late to the party, yet again.
I'm one of those who went around to the blog and read the 300+ comments.

It's been a fascinating thread, full of interesting exchanges and information.

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Yes, I always have high hopes, cold reading is so obvious you'd think all one needed was to expose the believer to the technique and they'd see the light. But more often than not that confirmation bias is just too powerful.
It's happened to me.
It wasn't til I fully understood the force of the Forer Effect that I woke up from a dream that cost me money, friends and years of my life.

...I have to say Robin I'm a teeny tiny bit cynical in thinking you are being paid to promote John Edward on blogs and forums. If you google your name you've got the same thing over and over again, on your blog, on the Anderson Cooper blog you have a post in a contest to win free tickets to see John Edward.

Just curious why you are promoting him so much? Generally this would be something you would share with your friends and family not tons of people online. I don't get it.
Originally Posted by RoboTimbo View Post
Nice catch. I'd like an answer to that too.
+2.
pakeha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2012, 01:43 AM   #331
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Ok, Ok...I do know that there is NO way to convince a true non-believer
Yes there is. I told you what it was back on page 3:

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
what we need is for Edward to do a series of of say 10 readings under controlled conditions where mundane sources of information like cold and hot reading are carefully eliminated, and for each subject to be given all 10 readings and asked to pick out the one they think is theirs.
No amount of anecdotes should convince any reasonable person, including you, because there is always a more plausible mundane explanation of the hits even if it's just lucky guesses (which are bound to happen occasionally). But a simple test like the one described which resulted in a success rate significantly better than chance would be real evidence, so why doesn't Edward take one? There are many prizes he could win by doing so, not just JREF's million dollars, plus of course the publicity (not to mention the satisfaction of proving such an important fact about the nature of reality) would be immense.
Old 27th November 2012, 01:43 AM   #332
Jomante
Thinker

When a cold reading starts and the person tosses out something like "I'm getting a name with ST sound in it" and somebody speaks up and associates a name that doesn't have an ST sound in it, that seems like a dead giveaway to the reader that he has found someone that will take the information and work with it to make it fit.

My question to the OP would be "How much money did you spend on these 'fakes' until you found one good enough to fool you?" although that is quite cynical sounding. What I'm thinking is that the more time and money you invest trying to find the person who can give you the 'comfort' you were looking for, the more desperate you may become to find one. Desperation can make people believe or do things that they might not otherwise.

By the way, I have a refrigerator answer as well (I'm looking to get a new one), I used to watch Mary Tyler Moore, and my daughter was born on December 7th as well. So obviously John was speaking to me. What are the odds?!?! I jest.

If you gain some comfort in believing that your dad's existence continues on with you this day and that helps you cope, then I think that's ok. I think sharing your experience with others to help them cope if they've also had a loss is ok as well. But saying it proves life after death is a bit of a stretch.
Jomante is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2012, 01:55 AM   #333
quarky
Banned

Originally Posted by Jomante View Post
When a cold reading starts and the person tosses out something like "I'm getting a name with ST sound in it" and somebody speaks up and associates a name that doesn't have an ST sound in it, that seems like a dead giveaway to the reader that he has found someone that will take the information and work with it to make it fit.

My question to the OP would be "How much money did you spend on these 'fakes' until you found one good enough to fool you?" although that is quite cynical sounding. What I'm thinking is that the more time and money you invest trying to find the person who can give you the 'comfort' you were looking for, the more desperate you may become to find one. Desperation can make people believe or do things that they might not otherwise.

By the way, I have a refrigerator answer as well (I'm looking to get a new one), I used to watch Mary Tyler Moore, and my daughter was born on December 7th as well. So obviously John was speaking to me. What are the odds?!?! I jest.

If you gain some comfort in believing that your dad's existence continues on with you this day and that helps you cope, then I think that's ok. I think sharing your experience with others to help them cope if they've also had a loss is ok as well. But saying it proves life after death is a bit of a stretch.
Life after death isn't the stretch in this. John Edward is.
quarky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2012, 02:07 AM   #334
Garrette
Penultimate Amazing

And that's where you drop the story?! Oh, come on!!!
Old 27th November 2012, 02:25 AM   #335
Garrette
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Yes, I always have high hopes, cold reading is so obvious you'd think all one needed was to expose the believer to the technique and they'd see the light. But more often than not that confirmation bias is just too powerful.
None of my kids shares my passion for magic or mentalism, but they are interested enough and I am pushy enough that they know the basics, including cold reading and the Forer Effect and confirmation bias. To them, it is so completely obvious that it is virtually impossible for me to perform some types of effects for them, and they cannot understand why it works on others. They know it does; they just can't understand why. One son visited from university last year to talk about a mentalist's show the he really enjoyed but which left him flabbergasted. The performer didn't sell himself as anything but an entertainer, yet when he finished with a mentalism routine nearly every student in the crowd fell for what my son described as the most incredibly obvious cold reading schtick he could imagine, and some of my son's friends talked about the performer's obvious psychic abilities.

It was an eye-opener for my son as he had always doubted that what I had shown him could actually work to any degree in the real world.

K you guys win...I'm outta here. Running, screaming to the land of believers! But it was fun while it lasted! Peace.
Why? Seriously, why? We discussed. We did what you asked. We went to your site and read the blog and comments. You said to ask about what we had questions on, and we did that.

I sincerely hope you chooose to come back. If you do, I will seriously engage in discussion with you and remain open minded about the possibility that you are right, and I am wrong. Of course, I expect the same courtesy from you along with the courtesy of actually responding to the informed comments here and of answering the relevant questions.

I would expect that when inconsistencies are pointed out in your story that you address them. I would expect that when you bring up what you think is a supporting document (The Afterlife Experiments) that you actually discuss it instead of running from it when you find out we are knowledgeable on it. I would expect that follow the rational course of the analysis instead of cherry-picking elements and straw-manning the rest.

You came here with a claim. You did exactly nothing here to support it, yet we engaged with you anyway. We did research. We did analysis. We discussed alternate explanations. We asked questions. We demonstrated that we are willing to be convinced. We refrained from accusing you of closed-mindedness. We refrained from implying that you are a humorless purveyor of your beliefs.

You did none of that. You avoided questions. You avoided discussion. You implied we are without humor. You insisted that you cannot be wrong. You ignored pertinent analysis. You avoided topics that you brought up when you discovered we know about them.

And still, I hope you come back. Regardless, all the best. Merry Christmas. All that jazz.
Old 27th November 2012, 05:43 AM   #336
Squeegee Beckenheim
Philosopher

Going by the further information about the fridge "statement" (actually a question), I think it's very obviously a lucky guess while cold reading. While it is, of course, possible to do hot reading using various methods, including getting the sitter's name from a credit card purchase, I see nothing in the account which needs to be explained that way. Some very vague statements, a lucky guess, and something left for the sitters to attach significance to later.
Squeegee Beckenheim is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2012, 06:10 AM   #337
aggle-rithm
Ardent Formulist

Originally Posted by tsig View Post
Why doesn't your deceased dad just talk to you if he has something he wants you to know? Is he just waiting around for an opportunity to communicate? Seems like a shabby afterlife.
I picture a bunch of departed souls standing in line waiting for a chance to speak. "I don't believe I have to go through this douchebag to talk to my family," one of them says. "He can't even understand what I'm saying!"

Woo's razor: Never attribute to stupidity that which can be adequately explained by aliens.
aggle-rithm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2012, 06:15 AM   #338
aggle-rithm
Ardent Formulist

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
While it is, of course, possible to do hot reading using various methods, including getting the sitter's name from a credit card purchase, I see nothing in the account which needs to be explained that way.
Hacking credit card records may seem unlikely, but here's the way I look at it:

The probability that he got the information hacking into credit card records: .001.

The chance that he got it by supernatural means: .00000000000000000000001 (if that high.)

I think by far the most likely explanation is: He didn't actually "get" any information at all; the victim merely thinks he did.

Woo's razor: Never attribute to stupidity that which can be adequately explained by aliens.
aggle-rithm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2012, 06:28 AM   #339
Resume
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by aggle-rithm View Post
I picture a bunch of departed souls standing in line waiting for a chance to speak. "I don't believe I have to go through this douchebag to talk to my family," one of them says. "He can't even understand what I'm saying!"
It seems like an important subject, life after death . . . One would imagine those on the other side would be all chatty Kathy and **** about how amazing it is. But no, just vagaries and soundbites about pedestrian events.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2012, 06:34 AM   #340
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

And another says "Yeah, I'm not going to waste any time on chitchat. I'm going to dive straight in with my message: I taped the bank safety deposit box key to the back of the old refrigerator."
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2012, 06:48 AM   #341
Squeegee Beckenheim
Philosopher

Hacking credit card records may seem unlikely, but here's the way I look at it:

The probability that he got the information hacking into credit card records: .001.

The chance that he got it by supernatural means: .00000000000000000000001 (if that high.)
And it's even more likely that neither of those statements are true and that it was all cold reading. There's nothing to suggest otherwise.
Squeegee Beckenheim is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2012, 07:52 AM   #342
Garrette
Penultimate Amazing

And it's even more likely that neither of those statements are true and that it was all cold reading. There's nothing to suggest otherwise.
Seconded, but it is still important, I think, when discussing with believers to mention these other possibilities. Cold reading is, in my experience, perhaps the hardest thing to convince a believer that he or she can fall prey to.

The discussion with a believer needs to cover all the possibilities while simultaneously acknowledging that some are more likely than others.

They could have hacked your credit card. If they didn't hack your credit card it doesn't matter; they had your name. If they didn't have your name it doesn't matter; they could have had someone chat you up or pay attention in the lobby or elsewhere. If they didn't chat you up or pay attention it could have been them shotgunning something hoping anyone would respond; it just happened to be you. If they didn't shotgun something it doesn't matter; they could have cold read you, reading your responses and proceeding accordingly. If they didn't cold read you it could have been one of those rare and seemingly miraculous but totally expected coincidences. And oh by the way, the things you call hits aren't really hits; most are just things you have retrofitted the way any of a hundred or a thousand things could be forced to fit.

Still unlikely to sway a true believer, but that's the broad form of the argument which of course should be tailored to the specific discussion.

Last edited by Garrette; 27th November 2012 at 08:00 AM. Reason: Grammar and to add the retrofitting bit
Garrette is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2012, 08:10 AM   #343
truethat
Penultimate Amazing

You know what is strange. Our refrigerator broke on Thanksgiving morning and we had to go buy a new one. LOL

― Julie Rugg, A Book Addict's Treasury
truethat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2012, 08:14 AM   #344
carlitos
"más divertido"

My refrigerator was delivered, but didn't fit up the stairs. Some guys with a hoist are coming on Sunday to lift it over my 2nd floor balcony. Or, as we call it, "crossing over."
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2012, 08:20 AM   #345
aggle-rithm
Ardent Formulist

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
And another says "Yeah, I'm not going to waste any time on chitchat. I'm going to dive straight in with my message: I taped the bank safety deposit box key to the back of the old refrigerator."
"Nah, that's a waste a time. Better to tell them something they already know."

Old 27th November 2012, 01:07 PM   #346
meg
psychic reader

Well, the bottom line on all this is that Robin's blog is dated August 2012, talking about an experience she had which probably occurred two years prior, in the spring of 2010 (Am I psychic? No. I used wikipedia. Valerie Harper played Tallulah Bankhead in "Looped" at the Lyceum theatre in NYC from Feb-Apr 2010).

Anyone that has studied or even read a bit about how our brains work knows that we do not remember things accurately. There are no memories locked in a file cabinet in our brain just waiting to be plucked out and examined. We recreate the images of our memories in our heads according to our beliefs, present knowledge, and our own particular versions of logic and reasoning. Robin was tricked two and a half years ago into thinking that John Edward talked to her dead father, and was amazingly accurate, and any questions or discussion of the event will only cause Robin to recreate the event again in her head, magically "remembering" even more amazing things about the experience.

One of the things that really surprises me in this discussion though, is how many people are unwilling to entertain the notion that John Edward might use more trickery than just cold reading when he performs his schtik. Is it really so hard to fathom that a man that grosses $40,000+ per show, one hundred shows per year, meaning $4 million/year just on shows, not counting book deals, tv appearances, etc. Is it really so hard to imagine that such a person might employ a few highly trusted individuals to guarantee he gets a few downright "amazing" hits a show? Looking up ticket pre-order names on the internet, putting up a small webcam at the "will call" ticket counter capturing peoples' faces as they say their name? Someone noticing that someone goes by a nickname or middle name instead of the name on their credit card they used to pay for their drinks? Notices a woman in the bathroom fixing her lipstick has an unusual item in her open purse? Listening to conversations in the restrooms, lobby, out front where people are smoking?

Number two of Penn Jillette's Secrets of a Magician is "Make the secret a lot more trouble than the trick seems worth." (from here: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-c...tml?c=y&page=1 ) Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if Edward doesn't have a whole crew of wired people with hidden cameras grabbing all sorts of tiny bits of information that don't seem worth the effort at all until you start putting them all together, "Your brother goes by his middle name. Did you just go to Disneyland? Is there a yoyo in your purse?" mixed with all the other rapid fire cold reading tricks and the effect is one great big "Wow! How could he *possibly* have known all that?!?!"

John Edward is just a magician, doing the same thing magicians do with the "mentalist" act. The only difference is that a magician makes an honorable agreement with the audience that s/he is going to perform tricks that will amaze them, and the audience agrees to suspend their disbelief for a little while and be properly amazed. Edward works to, quite DIShonorably, in my opinion, convince the audience that if they just pay somewhere between $50 and $300 each for a ticket or $800+ for a private reading, they might actually get to talk to, to spend one more minute with someone who died, and who they are grieving for, and who's passing causes such an ache in their heart, in their life, that they would do anything just to see that person one more time. To hear their voice one more time. John Edward takes this common bond of people, this problem we have, this pain we all share, and turned it into a multimillion dollar enterprise for himself, making suckers out of the grieving and bereft. People leave a good magic show wondering how the heck the magician did that. Greiving people either leave a John Edward show wondering wondering why their loved one didn't show up today, or they leave trying to remember every good detail (and forget the not so good) about a new story about their dad that John Edward just made up for them. Something to do with refrigerators and Valerie Harper. It's not even a particularly good story. Nor is it comforting. It's just really expensive.
Old 27th November 2012, 01:13 PM   #347
calebprime
Somewhat Elitist Parasite

Excellent post, meg-person.
Old 27th November 2012, 01:22 PM   #348
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Originally Posted by calebprime View Post
Seconded.
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2012, 01:24 PM   #349
Squeegee Beckenheim
Philosopher

Originally Posted by meg View Post
One of the things that really surprises me in this discussion though, is how many people are unwilling to entertain the notion that John Edward might use more trickery than just cold reading when he performs his schtik.
I don't think anybody is saying that it's impossible or even unlikely that Edward uses such things. In fact, I've seen lots of people explicitly say that he uses hot reading. It's just that there's no evidence of hot reading in this particular case.
Old 27th November 2012, 01:27 PM   #350
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Well, the bottom line on all this is that Robin's blog is dated August 2012, talking about an experience she had which probably occurred two years prior, in the spring of 2010 (Am I psychic? No. I used wikipedia. Valerie Harper played Tallulah Bankhead in "Looped" at the Lyceum theatre in NYC from Feb-Apr 2010)....
[excellent post snipped, I agree with Foster Zygote and Calebprime]

Lots of good posts here and I love the detective work. The above only piques my curiosity more.

Robin if you are still lurking, I'm curious why now and why this forum?
Old 27th November 2012, 01:47 PM   #351
phunk
Master Poster

Robin, I have taken the time to read your blog and responded politely.

So before running off can you answer two simple questions.

1. Whose name was on the credit card used to purchase the tickets.

Did you have a reservation with your name on the tickets or did you just get blank tickets?

2. Did John Edwards speak to everyone in the room? How were you selected to be a participant?
They don't need a name on the ticket, or assigned seating, or anything like that. All they need to know is that a person will be at the show, then they can find out lots of details about them, including what they look like, from places like facebook.

JE's tickets are sold through ticketmaster, and a quick look at their privacy policy shows that they share info with event organizers and venues.

So:

Step 1) Get a list of people coming to the show
Step 2) Look for a few with public facebook profiles who seem to be the true believe type
Step 3) Give their photos to your assistants to find them in the audience
Step 4) Amaze them with things you couldn't possibly have known! You don't even have to ask their name!
phunk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2012, 01:50 PM   #352
meg
psychic reader

I don't think anybody is saying that it's impossible or even unlikely that Edward uses such things. In fact, I've seen lots of people explicitly say that he uses hot reading. It's just that there's no evidence of hot reading in this particular case.
Well, I guess my only response to that is that if you see the evidence of the trickery in a magic act, it's not a very good magic act. That's kind of the whole point of the "amazing" part.

If Robin blogged that she saw John Edward saw a lady in half and put her magically back together, would you say that there is no evidence that John Edward did not in fact saw a lady in half?

Magicians do tricks. It's what they do.

Last edited by meg; 27th November 2012 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Removed the "s" from John Edward
meg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2012, 01:51 PM   #353
quarky
Banned

Originally Posted by calebprime View Post
Yeah. I had to give it the nom.
Old 27th November 2012, 01:54 PM   #354
carlitos
"más divertido"

Even easier, people regular tell the world what they're going to do on blogs.

Going to see John Edward today!

"I'm sensing the loss of someone close to you Ann, maybe a suicide... Is there a Steve or a Tracey involved. They want you to know that they are OK..."

Sick, sick, sick.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2012, 02:04 PM   #355
12AX7
Glowing red!

Well, the bottom line on all this is that Robin's blog is dated August 2012, talking about an experience she had which probably occurred two years prior, in the spring of 2010 (Am I psychic? No. I used wikipedia. Valerie Harper played Tallulah Bankhead in "Looped" at the Lyceum theatre in NYC from Feb-Apr 2010).

Anyone that has studied or even read a bit about how our brains work knows that we do not remember things accurately. There are no memories locked in a file cabinet in our brain just waiting to be plucked out and examined. We recreate the images of our memories in our heads according to our beliefs, present knowledge, and our own particular versions of logic and reasoning. Robin was tricked two and a half years ago into thinking that John Edward talked to her dead father, and was amazingly accurate, and any questions or discussion of the event will only cause Robin to recreate the event again in her head, magically "remembering" even more amazing things about the experience.

One of the things that really surprises me in this discussion though, is how many people are unwilling to entertain the notion that John Edward might use more trickery than just cold reading when he performs his schtik. Is it really so hard to fathom that a man that grosses $40,000+ per show, one hundred shows per year, meaning $4 million/year just on shows, not counting book deals, tv appearances, etc. Is it really so hard to imagine that such a person might employ a few highly trusted individuals to guarantee he gets a few downright "amazing" hits a show? Looking up ticket pre-order names on the internet, putting up a small webcam at the "will call" ticket counter capturing peoples' faces as they say their name? Someone noticing that someone goes by a nickname or middle name instead of the name on their credit card they used to pay for their drinks? Notices a woman in the bathroom fixing her lipstick has an unusual item in her open purse? Listening to conversations in the restrooms, lobby, out front where people are smoking?

Number two of Penn Jillette's Secrets of a Magician is "Make the secret a lot more trouble than the trick seems worth." (from here: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-c...tml?c=y&page=1 ) Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if Edward doesn't have a whole crew of wired people with hidden cameras grabbing all sorts of tiny bits of information that don't seem worth the effort at all until you start putting them all together, "Your brother goes by his middle name. Did you just go to Disneyland? Is there a yoyo in your purse?" mixed with all the other rapid fire cold reading tricks and the effect is one great big "Wow! How could he *possibly* have known all that?!?!"

John Edward is just a magician, doing the same thing magicians do with the "mentalist" act. The only difference is that a magician makes an honorable agreement with the audience that s/he is going to perform tricks that will amaze them, and the audience agrees to suspend their disbelief for a little while and be properly amazed. Edward works to, quite DIShonorably, in my opinion, convince the audience that if they just pay somewhere between $50 and $300 each for a ticket or $800+ for a private reading, they might actually get to talk to, to spend one more minute with someone who died, and who they are grieving for, and who's passing causes such an ache in their heart, in their life, that they would do anything just to see that person one more time. To hear their voice one more time. John Edward takes this common bond of people, this problem we have, this pain we all share, and turned it into a multimillion dollar enterprise for himself, making suckers out of the grieving and bereft. People leave a good magic show wondering how the heck the magician did that. Greiving people either leave a John Edward show wondering wondering why their loved one didn't show up today, or they leave trying to remember every good detail (and forget the not so good) about a new story about their dad that John Edward just made up for them. Something to do with refrigerators and Valerie Harper. It's not even a particularly good story. Nor is it comforting. It's just really expensive.

Nominated.
12AX7 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2012, 02:11 PM   #356
AdMan
Philosopher

I have to say Robin I'm a teeny tiny bit cynical in thinking you are being paid to promote John Edward on blogs and forums. If you google your name you've got the same thing over and over again, on your blog, on the Anderson Cooper blog you have a post in a contest to win free tickets to see John Edward.

Just curious why you are promoting him so much? Generally this would be something you would share with your friends and family not tons of people online. I don't get it.

She does appear to be spamming as many places as she can with the same copied and pasted directions to her blog. Something's fishy.
Old 27th November 2012, 02:13 PM   #357
Autolite
Graduate Poster

Wow, another completely closed-mind! "Not interested" in even reading my link? How does anyone expect to learn ANYTHING without being open to a new opinion and experience?
I consider myself to have an 'open-mind' but it's not so open that my brains fall out...
Old 27th November 2012, 02:21 PM   #358
Aepervius
Philosopher

Talking

Originally Posted by xterra View Post
Frequently, I write a post in a word processor or text editor rather than in the box at the bottom of the page. This allows me to feel less pressure to post immediately, and allows me to reflect a bit on what I am writing.

YMMV, of course, but it's worth a try.

xterra
I try from time to time.

But then the word processor start underlining all my words in red, all my sentences in green, just before crashing "Winword crashed. Reason STOP 0x00000666 That is not even valid engrish" and then remove itself from my harddisk.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2012, 02:26 PM   #359
Robin1
Banned

Skeptic Ginger and all....Of course I'm still lurking!! This is fascinating stuff AND addicting! Started blogging at all only recently...for years had health issue next door,
35+ feral cats, and a crazy neighbor who feeds anything and everything who then ended up getting attacked by a rabid raccoon. Since the rabid raccoon fed from the same bowls as the colony of cats and there was possible physical interaction there also was the possibility that the cats could be infected with rabies. Are you sorry you asked? More to the story but to make a long story short...sort of... someone suggested a blog would help draw more attention to the issue. And so my very first blog was born..."Rabies Outbreak in Westchester County and the Connection to Feral Cats." It quickly became very popular on the blogsite, a local paper published it as a guest commentary, and a well-reputed animal clinic/ hospital asked for my permission to copy it and distribute it to their clients. Then I realized that this blogging stuff could really be helpful and significant in spreading the word...and that word later evolved into "Proof of Life After Death." And so here I am today...just tryin' to spread a little light.
Robin1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2012, 02:29 PM   #360
carlitos
"más divertido"

From the google results, Robin appears to be spreading light all over the place.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal