ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 26th November 2012, 03:56 PM   #1
Nick227
Illuminator

Does James Caan say "Beam me up, Scotty" in Godfather 1?

Was watching the original Godfather movie the other night and distinctly heard James Caan, as Sonny, say "Beam me up, Scotty" in the background. It's at 53 mins 17 secs on my avi version. Totally ridiculous, I know! Nick
Old 26th November 2012, 05:27 PM   #2
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Can you describe the scene in particular?
Old 26th November 2012, 06:32 PM   #3
hgc
Penultimate Amazing

Yes! Describe the scene. I can't wait to see this and find out what you're hearing. Is his face on camera at the time? Is he in dialog?

Also, I'm not sure if "beam me up, Scotty" was yet a pervasive meme in 1971 when the movie was being filmed.
Old 26th November 2012, 07:00 PM   #4
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Haven't seen the scene in question yet, but just guessing:

Could it be "Bring me a biscotti!"?
Old 26th November 2012, 08:46 PM   #5
Stupefied
Student

On my version at that time Sonny, Tom, Michael, and a couple others are in a room talking about where Luca is and what to do if the Godfather dies. I hear Sonny say, "I don't know. If Luca sold out we're in a lot of trouble, believe me. A lot of trouble." Right after that he says, "Hey Mick do me a favor, try him again on the phone." Followed immediately by something in Italian or possibly "keep on" ending in mumbling. I didn't notice anything that close to "beam me up, Scotty."
Stupefied is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2012, 08:53 PM   #6
JerryGarcia
Muse

Whenever I miss a bit of dialogue I turn on the closed captions.
Old 26th November 2012, 09:01 PM   #7
Stupefied
Student

The captions only had perhaps half of what Sonny said.
Stupefied is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2012, 10:41 PM   #8
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stupefied View Post
On my version at that time Sonny, Tom, Michael, and a couple others are in a room talking about where Luca is and what to do if the Godfather dies. I hear Sonny say, "I don't know. If Luca sold out we're in a lot of trouble, believe me. A lot of trouble." Right after that he says, "Hey Mick do me a favor, try him again on the phone." Followed immediately by something in Italian or possibly "keep on" ending in mumbling. I didn't notice anything that close to "beam me up, Scotty."
Could 'believe me' have sounded like "Beam me"? (and our brains often fill in the rest involuntarily.)

I imagine just an auditory hallucination or simple mishearing. Some neuron misfiring or something like that. Happens to me from time to time.
Old 27th November 2012, 01:03 AM   #9
Tomtomkent
Philosopher

Yes. It is a little known fact that the entire trilogy is set on the Gangster planet in theTrek universe.

Never look up an E-book because this signature line told you. Especially not Dead Lament (ASIN: B00JEN1MWY). Or A Little Trouble (ASIN: B00GQFZZQW).
Tomtomkent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2012, 01:17 AM   #10
NotJesus
Unsaviory

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Could it be "Bring me a biscotti!"?
An Italian would never say that, since he would know that "biscotti" is plural.
I have now reread what I've just written, and I see that I'm much more intelligent than what I've written. How does it come about that what an intelligent man expresses is much stupider than what remains inside him?
-Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Adolescent
NotJesus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2012, 02:02 AM   #11
Nick227
Illuminator

Originally Posted by hgc View Post
Yes! Describe the scene. I can't wait to see this and find out what you're hearing. Is his face on camera at the time? Is he in dialog?

Also, I'm not sure if "beam me up, Scotty" was yet a pervasive meme in 1971 when the movie was being filmed.
I have the same doubts!

The scene is Sonny, Clemenza, Tessio, Michael, and Tom sitting around discussing what to do in the wake of the Godfather's shooting. Dialogue runs...

* Solazzo's the key. You get rid of him everything falls into line
* What about Luca? Solazzo didn't seem worried about Luca
* [Sonny opens his hands and looks upward as though somewhat despairing] Ahh, beam me up, Scotty. I know, if Luca sold out we're in a lot of trouble, believe me"

I agree it makes no sense at all, but Sonny does actually give a despairing gesture while he's saying it. It's ridiculous.

I'll post the clip online in a bit

Nick

Last edited by Nick227; 27th November 2012 at 02:09 AM.
Nick227 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2012, 02:05 AM   #12
Nick227
Illuminator

Originally Posted by hgc View Post

I have the same doubts!

The scene is Sonny, Clemenza, Tessio, Michael, and Tom sitting around discussing what to do in the wake of the Godfather's shooting. Dialogue runs...

* Solazzo's the key. You get rid of him everything falls into line
* What about Luca? Solazzo didn't seem worried about Luca
* [Sonny opens his hands and looks upward as though somewhat despairing] Ahh, beam me up, Scotty. I know, if Luca sold out we're in a lot of trouble, believe me"

I agree it makes no sense at all, but Sonny does actually give a despairing gesture while he's saying it. It's ridiculous.

I'll post the clip online in a bit

Nick
Old 27th November 2012, 02:38 AM   #13
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by NotJesus View Post
An Italian would never say that, since he would know that "biscotti" is plural.
Caan was not Italian.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Caan

Quote:
Caan was born in The Bronx, New York City, the son of Sophie (née Falkenstein) and Arthur Caan, Jewish immigrants from Germany.[3]
Old 27th November 2012, 03:32 AM   #14
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

I just Googled a .pdf of the screenplay and it says;

"Aw... I don't know if Luca sold out we're in a lot of trouble, believe me. A lot of trouble."

http://www.public.asu.edu/~srbeatty/394/Godfather.pdf

But that likely isn't exactly what made the edit, since the preceding line is Tom's "Sollozzo's the key..." and the "What about Luca?" line is missing.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2012, 03:38 AM   #15
NotJesus
Unsaviory

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
No, but Sonny Corleone was. You understand how movies work, right?
I have now reread what I've just written, and I see that I'm much more intelligent than what I've written. How does it come about that what an intelligent man expresses is much stupider than what remains inside him?
-Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Adolescent
NotJesus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2012, 03:52 AM   #16
Nick227
Illuminator

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rzpplgur965vawi/z0L-UDgLqU

Hopefully works!

Nick
Old 27th November 2012, 04:21 AM   #17
Salerio
Thinker

Originally Posted by Nick227 View Post
Well I must say, after listening to it a few times, it DOES sound like "beam me up Scottie" (to me at least. I'd never have spotted it in the middle of the film though with all the hullabaloo going on
Old 27th November 2012, 04:34 AM   #18
OnlyTellsTruths

He definitely says it. He even looks up at the sky and raises his arms up...

ETA: That or it is a phrase, in Italian, that sounds just like it...

Last edited by OnlyTellsTruths; 27th November 2012 at 04:35 AM.
OnlyTellsTruths is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2012, 04:40 AM   #19
OnlyTellsTruths

Here's just that 1 second of audio with the volume raised as high as it can be without deforming it:

beamMeUp.mp3
Old 27th November 2012, 04:56 AM   #20
calebprime
Somewhat Elitist Parasite

Not hearing it that way in OTT's clip.

Listening on good cans, best effort.

Actually, a little bit of wider context around the clip would help. Tightly trimmed or cropped like that, and it's harder to understand. Give the ear a little time to acclimate.

Maybe the "Scot", or "Scod" or something, but not the "Beam me up".

The first part sounds as much like "It ain't" or something as anything else.

What it's not is a clear sentence intended to be heard that way.

Could be "He ain't up, Scot."
Old 27th November 2012, 07:18 AM   #21
calebprime

Originally Posted by Nick227 View Post
Originally Posted by calebprime View Post
Not hearing it that way in OTT's clip.

Listening on good cans, best effort.

Actually, a little bit of wider context around the clip would help. Tightly trimmed or cropped like that, and it's harder to understand. Give the ear a little time to acclimate.

Maybe the "Scot", or "Scod" or something, but not the "Beam me up".

The first part sounds as much like "It ain't" or something as anything else.

What it's not is a clear sentence intended to be heard that way.

Could be "He ain't up, Scot."
Now that I have the good computer, I can hear/see the scene.

I'm impressed that anyone could hear what's going on at all in that babble.

It's been dubbed -- it's not recorded live. Especially "You want to kill all those guys?" stands out -- it's got more presence, more high end.

OTT did a good job isolating that line, which doesn't appear to match what Caan's mouth is actually doing in that scene. So looking at it doesn't help much.

Nor does hearing more of the context around it.

When Caan raises his hands and does his upward gaze, we're not hearing whatever he originally said -- it's dubbed afterward.

The only lines we're really intended to hear are "You want to kill all those guys?" and "Stay out of it." and a few other things. "...everything else falls into line" etc.
Old 27th November 2012, 07:23 AM   #22
Worm
Graduate Poster

The transcript I found has:

"Sollozzo's the key. You get rid of him, every falls into line. Now what about Luca? Sollozzo didn't seem to be worried about Luca."

"Aw --I don't know -- if Luca sold out we're in a lot of trouble, believe me. A lot of trouble."

Not all cults are bad - I've joined a cult of niceness
Worm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2012, 07:32 AM   #23
Brown
Penultimate Amazing

It's been dubbed -- it's not recorded live. Especially "You want to kill all those guys?" stands out -- it's got more presence, more high end.
This is what I heard, too. It's Michael speaking, and Sonny tells him to stay out of it.

"Don't you get me wrong. I only want to know." -- Judas in Jesus Christ Superstar, lyrics by Tim Rice
Brown is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2012, 08:12 AM   #24
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante

I don't know what he is saying. It could possibly be, "Beam me up, Scotty", but I doubt it. I can sort of hear him saying that, but it's as convincing as the examples of pareidolia I've heard, such as hearing "It's fun to smoke marijuana" when playing Another One Bites the Dust backwards. Once you're told what you're listening for, you tend to hear it.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2012, 08:26 AM   #25
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

It wouldn't make much sense. Isn't The Godfather supposed to be set in the 30's or sommat?
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2012, 09:24 AM   #26
bjornart
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
It wouldn't make much sense. Isn't The Godfather supposed to be set in the 30's or sommat?
The Enterprise did travel in time a few times, and the films and books span "the years 1945 to 1955" according to wikipedia, but yeah, it wouldn't make sense.
Old 27th November 2012, 11:08 AM   #27
Nick227
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
The Godfather is set in '46, so it doesn't make any sense and for sure it's unlikely the line was in the original script!

I think Star Trek came out in the late 60s. But what I recall was that Kirk never actually uttered the famous line in the original TV series. It's one of those lines, like "Play it again, Sam", or "Alas poor Yorick, I knew him well" that passed into popular culture even though they were never actually said in the original production. So I guess there will be a time when people started saying "Beam me up, Scottie" and the phrase passed into popular culture. Godfather was made in 71 and 72, I think, so maybe the phrase was around then or maybe it didn't emerge until later.

I guess, in reality, Sonny should be saying qualcosa in Italiano, though despite having spent some time there and speaking a bit of da lingo I don't recognise it. Any Italians out there care to have a go? The scene is clearly dubbed also, which doesn't make things easier.

Nick
Old 28th November 2012, 02:01 PM   #28
OnlyTellsTruths

It just seems like an ad-lib that wasn't thought through.

It wouldn't be the first consistency problem that survived editing in a period piece. I doubt it would even be the first one in the Godfather movies.

Again, I say he either says "beam me up scotty" or something in Italian that sounds about as much like that as you can get. I say that again, just to be clear that I am not "convinced". I am just making a case here.

It just seems like too much of a coincidence that he would look up at the sky and we hear a phrase like beam me up scotty....

Out of all the phrases in the English language that we could be hearing as pareidolia, it just happens to be one that matches his actions?

Please note that I do realize that pareidolia often does "match", but this seems to be pushing it.

On top of that, at that point Sonny is "fed up" with something. People say "beam me up scotty" when they are fed up.

So not only does it match his actions, it matches what we know he's thinking...

Again, I say an ad-lib that wasn't throught through.
Old 28th November 2012, 02:03 PM   #29
OnlyTellsTruths

When Caan raises his hands and does his upward gaze, we're not hearing whatever he originally said -- it's dubbed afterward.

That could just be the audio out of sync. Unless you are a professional lip-reader...
Old 28th November 2012, 02:21 PM   #30
Monketey Ghost
Suspended

How interesting. Even knowing it's supposed to sound like "Beam me up Scotty", I don't hear "beam" as a complete word.

On the clip, he raises his hands... I think maybe it's Italian?
Monketey Ghost is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2012, 02:26 PM   #31
calebprime

Originally Posted by OnlyTellsTruths View Post
That could just be the audio out of sync. Unless you are a professional lip-reader...
No, just look/listen. It's not even anywhere near close.

It's dubbed. I mean the whole scene. That sentence you quoted sounded like I meant just that line, but it's the whole scene.

It's not out of synch.

If it were out of synch, you'd see lip movements in the other actors with a consistent relation to the sound, a consistent delay one way or the other.

There's one recording of most of the audio, and then there's a line or two that were recorded on another track -- they have a different sound.

Not to mention that it would be gross professional incompetence on the film-maker's part to be out of synch.

I'm not a professional lip-reader, but I did video post-production work for over ten years as a pro in the 90's. You do develop an eye/ear that way, or you don't keep working in that world. My perceptions were consistently accurate down to the frame. That was one thing I was good at.

And no, he's not saying "beam me up, scotty." It doesn't even sound like that.

As a side note, I'm acutely aware when sound and picture are out of synch -- it makes me physically nauseous when I see it on the news, for example, or YouTube. That's training, and because I have fast reflexes.

Last edited by calebprime; 28th November 2012 at 02:32 PM.
calebprime is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2012, 02:32 PM   #32
truethat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Could 'believe me' have sounded like "Beam me"? (and our brains often fill in the rest involuntarily.)

I imagine just an auditory hallucination or simple mishearing. Some neuron misfiring or something like that. Happens to me from time to time.
good catch. Believe me a lot, could sound like Beam me up Scot

― Julie Rugg, A Book Addict's Treasury
truethat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2012, 02:42 PM   #33
StankApe
Banned

Plus, anyone who knows anything about Coppola's meticulous attention to detail (he flew in french actors who had no lines and ensured that the wine was served at the correct temperatures for the ,later cut, French Plantation scene in Apocalypse Now for example, and was very very hard assed about the Italian being "right" in The Godfather films)would know he'd never let something like that get through. He would have shot another take, or dubbed it out later.
StankApe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2012, 03:00 PM   #34
OnlyTellsTruths

It's dubbed. I mean the whole scene.

I agree that there is dubbing in the scene, don't get me wrong. That does not mean that all or some of the original scene audio is not used as well. They could do nifty stuff with audio, even in the 70s.

I agree without in actuality, I just was saying there is no way to be 100 percent convinced, and it came out wrong. I'm 99 percent in agreement with you that line is not what his lips say. It's possible, a slight chance, that we are wrong though.

And no, he's not saying "beam me up, scotty." It doesn't even sound like that.

Well, we're just going to have to agree to disagree here, because I am just as sure that it does sound exactly like "beam me up, scotty" as you are that it doesn't.

Also, you didn't address the two coincidences that I pointed out in my post.

Last edited by OnlyTellsTruths; 28th November 2012 at 03:37 PM.
OnlyTellsTruths is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2012, 03:02 PM   #35
OnlyTellsTruths

Originally Posted by StankApe View Post
Plus, anyone who knows anything about Coppola's meticulous attention to detail (he flew in french actors who had no lines and ensured that the wine was served at the correct temperatures for the ,later cut, French Plantation scene in Apocalypse Now for example, and was very very hard assed about the Italian being "right" in The Godfather films)would know he'd never let something like that get through. He would have shot another take, or dubbed it out later.

Oh please. If only you weren't serious.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068646/trivia?tab=gf

109 Goofs, just from Godfather 1. Dozens of them are much bigger goofs than this.
Old 28th November 2012, 03:04 PM   #36
OnlyTellsTruths

Not to mention that it would be gross professional incompetence on the film-maker's part to be out of synch.
Oh, please not you too. I missed that when I first read your post.

Go to the same like I just gave StankApe.

There are several examples of such "gross professional incompetence".
Old 28th November 2012, 03:14 PM   #37
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

For what it's worth it sounds like "beam me up Scotty" to me.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2012, 03:19 PM   #38
calebprime

Not wanting to be wrong on the internet, I watched again. maybe for the 5th time, now.

It's dubbed. dubbed. dubbed. dubbed.

not out of synch.

watch any given actor and listen.

not even close.

Again, one mike for most of the audio, one track. (same ambience, same distance from the mic, no separate levels: that's how I know that.)

Then, some lines recorded separately: "You want to kill all those guys?"

(because it's at a higher level, and has more treble on it.) different track, so different timing, potentially.

The line we're arguing about is on the "one mike" track.

If it were out of synch, you'd see a relation between what each of the actors is saying, when you can hear them, and the picture. the delay would be consistent, because it's one track.

it would make me physically sick if it were out of synch.

it doesn't make me sick, because it's dubbed, so there's none of that nauseating timing weirdness.
Old 28th November 2012, 03:37 PM   #39
OnlyTellsTruths

Please note that I already agreed with you that it is dubbed and not out of sync:

Originally Posted by OnlyTellsTruths View Post
I'm 99 percent in agreement with you that line is not what his lips say. It's possible, a slight chance, that we are wrong though.

We are past that.
Old 28th November 2012, 03:41 PM   #40
OnlyTellsTruths

But just for the sake of doing this logically I hope we can leave out the "Coppola" has perfect and "meticulous attention to detail" so him making a mistake is 100 percent impossible.

Or the "I am an expert so me being wrong is 100 percent impossible".

We need to focus on the evidence.

We do not need a competition to see who has done the most hours of professional audio/video work.

Literally what we need at this point is someone who is fluent in Italian!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts