ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags court cases , Florida incidents , Jordan Davis , Michael Dunn , shooting incidents

Old 27th November 2012, 04:17 PM   #1
C_Felix
Graduate Poster

White guy shoots (and kills) black teen over loud music

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...,4320738.story
He knows changes aren't permanent,
But change is.
C_Felix is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2012, 04:35 PM   #2
DreamingNaiad
Muse

I don't think race had anything to do with it. But on the face of it this seems quite similar to the Trayvon case. Idiot initiates situation then claims he was tewwified and had to start shooting.

All he had to do was drive away. Or keep his mouth shut in the first place.
DreamingNaiad is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2012, 04:43 PM   #3
mikedenk
Graduate Poster

I live near a moderately-traveled road. Late at night, like clockwork, the morons start driving by with their music turned up to window-shaking levels. I have to admit to more than a couple of occasions where I hoped to hear a screeching of brakes, a loud thud, then an explosion.

And get off my lawn.

But anyways... what is the point here? Is this guy a racist? Or is this another Trayvon debacle, where we find out that the poor innocent victim was actual in the midst of a vicious attack? We need Reverend Al and the other race hustlers to get down there and give us the real story.
mikedenk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2012, 05:25 PM   #4
Modified
Illuminator

Originally Posted by mikedenk View Post
I live near a moderately-traveled road. Late at night, like clockwork, the morons start driving by with their music turned up to window-shaking levels.
If it makes you feel any better, most of those morons will be nearly deaf by the time they're 50.
Modified is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2012, 05:34 PM   #5
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Originally Posted by DreamingNaiad View Post
I don't think race had anything to do with it. But on the face of it this seems quite similar to the Trayvon case.
No, it has almost no similarities to the Trayvon Martin case.
WildCat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2012, 05:50 PM   #6
DreamingNaiad
Muse

Originally Posted by WildCat View Post
No, it has almost no similarities to the Trayvon Martin case.
I meant superficially. A grown man confronts teens, gets spooked (I don't know how since it doesn't say they were armed or that they left the car) and shoots.

I'm sure that when more details come out it will seem very different. I just hope it doesn't start any race nonsense. Al Sharpton ****** me off more than any man alive.

Last edited by DreamingNaiad; 27th November 2012 at 05:51 PM. Reason: can't spell
DreamingNaiad is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2012, 06:44 PM   #7
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

I meant superficially. A grown man confronts teens, gets spooked (I don't know how since it doesn't say they were armed or that they left the car) and shoots.

I'm sure that when more details come out it will seem very different. I just hope it doesn't start any race nonsense. Al Sharpton ****** me off more than any man alive.
My first thought every time I hear that name is Tawana Brawley.

For those who don't know Al except from his recent stuff: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tawana_...pe_allegations

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2012, 06:45 PM   #8
Mudcat
Man of a Thousand Memes

Originally Posted by Rashmi View Post
I'm black. I Farkin' hate Rap Music.

That said, I enjoy a nice merlot with an aged cheese.

Also, I do fancy oatmeal with peanut butter and raspberry jam.....nom, nom.
I'm not black and I detest rap music, that aside I don't see how anyone can listen to any kind of music at the volumes that they do. Don't they miss out on a lot of the nuisances by doing so? Doesn't that hurt to be sitting so close to a source of sound at that volume? Don't they care at all about going deaf before they reach fifty?

Kopji: A perfect utopia where everyone follows the rules is more like a hell than a heaven.
Mudcat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2012, 07:00 PM   #9
anglolawyer
Philosopher

Not racist? LOL

Hey! Great idea. Give Americans more guns!
anglolawyer is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2012, 07:05 PM   #10
GrouchoMarxist
Cowardly insulter of Buddhism

Originally Posted by Rashmi View Post
I'm black. I Farkin' hate Rap Music.

That said, I enjoy a nice merlot with an aged cheese.

Also, I do fancy oatmeal with peanut butter and raspberry jam.....nom, nom.

I didn't see anything in the article about what kind of music they were listening to.
Old 27th November 2012, 07:15 PM   #11
triforcharity
Banned

Sounds like a case of cold blooded murder to me.

He left the scene, then left town. This stinks of murder.

IF self defense, he should have stayed at the scene, and called the police.
triforcharity is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2012, 07:17 PM   #12
triforcharity
Banned

Originally Posted by anglolawyer View Post
Not racist? LOL

Yepo! Don't like it? Don't come here, or do your best to legally come take mine.
triforcharity is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2012, 07:23 PM   #13
FenerFan
Master Poster

"Please not Florida again.....Damn!"

But like all human beings, every now and then, we crap in our pants. -Les Claypool
FenerFan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2012, 07:40 PM   #14
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

I don't think race had anything to do with it. But .........

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 27th November 2012, 07:45 PM   #15
Cainkane1
Philosopher

Some years ago a man white guy shot a white teen for walking on his yard. People get mad and sometimes the anger is lethal.
Old 27th November 2012, 07:50 PM   #16
anglolawyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by triforcharity View Post
Yepo! Don't like it? Don't come here, or do your best to legally come take mine.
Don't get me wrong. I wish I had a gun, just so long as no one else did.
anglolawyer is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2012, 08:06 PM   #17
FenerFan
Master Poster

http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/state/j...usic-complaint

Dunn is claiming self-defense. He stated that he saw a gun barrel and was verbally threatened. Also, he fled the scene because he feared that those he shot at were gang members and other gang members would show up. Dunn and his girlfriend then spent the night at a local hotel. He was later arrested at his home.

But like all human beings, every now and then, we crap in our pants. -Les Claypool

Last edited by FenerFan; 27th November 2012 at 08:13 PM.
FenerFan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2012, 08:20 PM   #18
BStrong
Philosopher

Originally Posted by triforcharity View Post
Sounds like a case of cold blooded murder to me.

He left the scene, then left town. This stinks of murder.

IF self defense, he should have stayed at the scene, and called the police.
I don't know anymore about this incident than anybody else that has read the news reports, but from my training and experience there can be individual incidents involving the use of force by a civilian where leaving the scene of a shooting incident and immediately contacting LE may be the best idea from the standpoint of de escalating a situation that has already turned lethal.

This incident and the behavior of the shooter as reported doesn't fit into that narrow parameter.
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2012, 08:50 PM   #19
RedRatSnake
Slithering Through life

Originally Posted by GrouchoMarxist View Post
I didn't see anything in the article about what kind of music they were listening to.
Well he is Black. So I say most likely ~ RATT or Quiet Riot, Maybe! kinda? ~ Ok Rap with some Thumpin is most likely it.
RedRatSnake is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2012, 09:13 PM   #20
kerikiwi
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mudcat View Post
Don't they miss out on a lot of the nuisances by doing so?
Miss out on the nuisances? They are the nuisances.

(I know, I know, you meant nuances, but some typos are very apt)
kerikiwi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2012, 09:24 PM   #21
zeggman
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by FenerFan View Post
"Please not Florida again.....Damn!"
It's like South Carolina, only more South.
zeggman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2012, 09:41 PM   #22
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

But anyways... what is the point here? Is this guy a racist?
Yes:
Originally Posted by WPTV
Lemonidis said her client and his girlfriend left the scene after the shooting, fearing that they had encountered gang members and that more would follow.

Or is this another Trayvon debacle, where we find out that the poor innocent victim was actual in the midst of a vicious attack?
You should probably read up on that case. Outside of the word of an accused murderer, no evidence of a "vicious attack" exists.

And the most insane part:
Originally Posted by WPTV
Eight or nine shots were fired at the teens' car, the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office statement added.

There were no guns found inside the teens' car, the statement said.
I'm now sure how any reasonable person can say with a straight face that firing eight times at an unarmed kid sitting in a car is an act of self-defense.

Click here to have it restored.

Or here.

Last edited by johnny karate; 27th November 2012 at 10:58 PM.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2012, 09:44 PM   #23
Ferguson
Muse

I'm not black and I detest rap music, that aside I don't see how anyone can listen to any kind of music at the volumes that they do. Don't they miss out on a lot of the nuisances by doing so? Doesn't that hurt to be sitting so close to a source of sound at that volume? Don't they care at all about going deaf before they reach fifty?
It's not about enjoyment, it's about showing off how loud (and by implication, how expensive) your audio system is.
Ferguson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2012, 09:48 PM   #24
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Dunn is claiming self-defense. He stated that he saw a gun barrel and was verbally threatened. Also, he fled the scene because he feared that those he shot at were gang members and other gang members would show up. Dunn and his girlfriend then spent the night at a local hotel. He was later arrested at his home.
Uh, yeah, I guess he just forgot to call the police.
WildCat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2012, 10:08 PM   #25
Ferguson
Muse

Looks pretty damning for Dunn.
Not much detail, though. A few paraphrased sentences from a police statement and no witnesses quoted. It's annoying that there's no quotes or information from the other teenagers that were in the car with the victim, or the witnesses that reported the shooting, as to how the confrontation unfolded.
Ferguson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2012, 10:31 PM   #26
Giz
Illuminator

Originally Posted by WildCat View Post
Uh, yeah, I guess he just forgot to call the police.
Yeah, flee the scene AND not call police... not a very puzzling whodunnit
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2012, 11:07 PM   #27
FenerFan
Master Poster

Here's a link to a extended news report from a local Jacksonville station. It has a few details that weren't mentioned in the other linked articles. The gun Dunn claimed to have seen was a shotgun. Also, Dunn's lawyer said he didn't call the police because, "His understanding was that he had only shot at the vehicle, not at anybody and that he was also concerned with leaving the area immediately because he didn't know if these were gang members..." according to his lawyer Robin Lemonidis.
Also, she claims that Dunn was "in the process of turning himself in," when he was arrested at his home. The distance from Jacksonville to his hometown of Satellite Beach is about 175 miles.
It's a pretty complete report as things stand now.

http://www.news4jax.com/news/Lawyer-...w/-/index.html

What do you think about his lawyer? To me, she does not come across very well at all. Not a good idea to mention her client has used and owned since he was in the third grade, in my opinion. She stressed his knowledge of guns, maybe to bolster the claim that he saw a shotgun. On the other hand, some would see him as a over-reactive gun nut.
It doesn't seem good for Dunn as no shotgun or other weapon has been found. Also, it seems ridiculous to me that someone would claim they didn't call the police because ,"Hey, I only shot at a car...with people in it...not at the people, just the car." I can see being scared and wanting to get out of the area because maybe of possible gang involvement. Fine, you feel safe in another location and now you can call the cops. A knowledgable gun owner (as apparently Dunn is, according to his attorney) would have to know the seriousness of shooting 8 or 9 times at a vehicle in a gas station parking lot.

Last edited by FenerFan; 27th November 2012 at 11:32 PM.
Old 27th November 2012, 11:22 PM   #28
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader

Speaking of "nuances"....

I don't think it was your intention to make it look worse, but you make it sound like they holed up in a hotel for safety. They stayed in the hotel because that's where they were staying. They were in Jacksonville for his son's wedding. He's not local.

Now, that doesn't improve the story. It might make it worse. When they say he was "later arrested at home", they leave out that home was 200 miles away. He and the girlfriend went back to their hotel and stayed the evening and then he drove 200 miles to Satellite Beach. So, he drove away to avoid gang retaliation, stayed overnight in a local hotel and was no retaliatified, then drove 200 miles during which he was also not retaliated against, and then "was arrested".... e.g. he did not turn himself in.

I'd like to know more of the other side of this story. How'd they catch him? What do the eyewitnesses say? When was he intending to come forward? Did he, perhaps, come forward? All I can find on this is two articles from Florida newspapers - that have been repeated around the country. Looking forward to better/fuller versions of the story.

Don't you wish someone had slapped baby Hitler really really hard? [i] Dr. Buzzo 02/13 [i]
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2012, 11:31 PM   #29
FenerFan
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Speaking of "nuances"....

I don't think it was your intention to make it look worse, but you make it sound like they holed up in a hotel for safety. They stayed in the hotel because that's where they were staying. They were in Jacksonville for his son's wedding. He's not local.

Now, that doesn't improve the story. It might make it worse. When they say he was "later arrested at home", they leave out that home was 200 miles away. He and the girlfriend went back to their hotel and stayed the evening and then he drove 200 miles to Satellite Beach. So, he drove away to avoid gang retaliation, stayed overnight in a local hotel and was no retaliatified, then drove 200 miles during which he was also not retaliated against, and then "was arrested".... e.g. he did not turn himself in.

I'd like to know more of the other side of this story. How'd they catch him? What do the eyewitnesses say? When was he intending to come forward? Did he, perhaps, come forward? All I can find on this is two articles from Florida newspapers - that have been repeated around the country. Looking forward to better/fuller versions of the story.
You are correct, it does come across as if I was saying they scurried off and hid away in a hotel. That was not my intention at all.

Old 27th November 2012, 11:58 PM   #30
GrouchoMarxist
Cowardly insulter of Buddhism

Originally Posted by Slocie's View Post
Well he is Black. So I say most likely ~ RATT or Quiet Riot,~ Ok Rap with some Thumpin is most likely it.

Quote:
Florida Statute 782.02 Justifiable use of deadly force.The use of deadly force is justifiable when a person is resisting any attempt to murder such person or to commit any felony upon him or her or upon or in any dwelling house in which such person shall be.

If it was Ratt, he walks.
Old 28th November 2012, 06:08 AM   #31
3point14
Pi

I remember a television programme a few years ago on UK TV.

They took a teenager with umpteen thousand watts pumping through his car stereo and gave him a hearing test.

Afterwards, the very serious hearing test lady (what are they called?) patiently pointed out on the graph at which frequencies his hearing had already deteriorated. His response was something along the lines of 'So, what you're saying is that I need to boost the amplification at those frequencies so I can hear them properly?' Her face was a picture.

Originally Posted by anglolawyer View Post
Not racist? LOL

I think giving Americans more guns is going to make bugger all difference. There's already more than two each and they can only hold, at most two at once (although, I'm open to correction on that front).

If you provide more guns, the only real effect might be to cut down on reloading time.
Old 28th November 2012, 06:41 AM   #32
Aepervius
Philosopher

I will avoid judging or anything since all those snippet are incompelte without looking at the complete police report or evidence , but it comes off as downright suspect that at no point while arriving in the hotel room at the evening, at waking up in the morning, at going away back home, he even *tried* to call, say, 911 for example, while at the same time seemingly pretending he feared gang member coming after him. That beggars belief or something.

ETA: if you fear gang banger will come for you, you don't sleep in an hotel room, you call 911, and you wait for them to come. that makes no sense whatsoever to me. And 8 to 9 shots. Woot. How long does it takes to shoot so many ? Did he have a semi automatic ?

Last edited by Aepervius; 28th November 2012 at 06:43 AM.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2012, 06:45 AM   #33
anglolawyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Aepervius View Post
I will avoid judging or anything since all those snippet are incompelte without looking at the complete police report or evidence , but it comes off as downright suspect that at no point while arriving in the hotel room at the evening, at waking up in the morning, at going away back home, he even *tried* to call, say, 911 for example, while at the same time seemingly pretending he feared gang member coming after him. That beggars belief or something.

ETA: if you fear gang banger will come for you, you don't sleep in an hotel room, you call 911, and you wait for them to come. that makes no sense whatsoever to me. And 8 to 9 shots. Woot. How long does it takes to shoot so many ? Did he have a semi automatic ?
Do you think you succeeded in avoiding judging?
Old 28th November 2012, 06:46 AM   #34
FenerFan
Master Poster

Here is link to gun data in the US.

http://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/region/united-states

Estimate is 270 million guns.
Population is about 310 million.
Not really close to one for each hand, but still a heck of a lot.

Old 28th November 2012, 06:50 AM   #35
sarge
Illuminator

Frankly, I think it is unjustifiable to shoot someone that plays their music so loud that it annoys others, unless it is clear that the person playing the music is doing it with the intent to annoy.

If the person that is playing the music so loud it annoys is doing it intentionally AND is wearing their pants so low that the bottom of their ass shows, it is justifiable to set them on fire (the person, not the pants).
Old 28th November 2012, 06:55 AM   #36
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ferguson View Post
It's not about enjoyment, it's about showing off how loud (and by implication, how expensive) your audio system is.
Based on what I usually hear, I would have guessed that they were showing off how badly their audio system distorts the bass.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2012, 07:01 AM   #37
aggle-rithm
Ardent Formulist

Originally Posted by Modified View Post
If it makes you feel any better, most of those morons will be nearly deaf by the time they're 50.
At which time they will unfortunately have to turn up the volume even more.

Woo's razor: Never attribute to stupidity that which can be adequately explained by aliens.
aggle-rithm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2012, 07:14 AM   #38
3point14
Pi

Here is link to gun data in the US.

http://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/region/united-states

Estimate is 270 million guns.
Population is about 310 million.
Not really close to one for each hand, but still a heck of a lot.
Damn, I was guessing.
Old 28th November 2012, 07:26 AM   #39
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Originally Posted by sarge View Post
If the person that is playing the music so loud it annoys is doing it intentionally AND is wearing their pants so low that the bottom of their ass shows, it is justifiable to set them on fire (the person, not the pants).
Why not pants? What's so special about them?
Old 28th November 2012, 07:33 AM   #40
sarge
Illuminator

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
Why not pants? What's so special about them?
The pants are not to blame for the manner in which they are worn. Im this case, it ain't the arrow, it's the Indian.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events