ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 28th November 2012, 07:29 PM   #1
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Wink SMH: Carl Sagan planned to blow up the moon with an atom bomb

US planned to blow up the moon (The Sydney Morning Herald)

Quote:
The United States planned to blow up the moon with a nuclear bomb during the cold war, according to reports.

The secret project, dubbed 'A Study of Lunar Research Flights' or 'Project A119', was allegedly devised by US military chiefs at the height of the space race in the late 1950s as a show of strength over the Soviet Union, scientists claim.

According to reports, the US would have used an atom bomb because a hydrogen bomb would have been too heavy.
Wow. Just one atom bomb would have been sufficient to blow up the whole moon. Who knew!

Quote:
Physicist Leonard Reiffel, who was involved with the project, said it would have intimidated the Soviet Union and given the US a morale boost after the Russians successfully launched Sputnik in 1957.
Yes. That sure would have been great for our morale, knowing that our government blew up the moon! Who needs it anyway!

Quote:
Also involved in the project was astronomer Carl Sagan, at the time a young graduate, who carried out calculations about the behaviour of dust and gas generated by the blast.
Just the dust and gas? What about all those large moon fragments from the death-star like explosion?

Quote:
The US government has never formally confirmed its involvement in the project.

The US Air Force declined to comment on the claims.
They're not denying it. That means it must be true!
Old 28th November 2012, 07:32 PM   #2
Halfcentaur
Philosopher

I heard about this a day or two ago, but was meaning to get around to looking it up. Isn't the moon like, useful for shielding us from a lot of space debris? Man this is a nutty story.
Halfcentaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2012, 07:33 PM   #3
Halfcentaur
Philosopher

Also I just thought they were making a big mushroom cloud for Russians to see, not actually blowing apart the moon.
Halfcentaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2012, 07:36 PM   #4
Gawdzilla
121.92-meter mutant fire-breathing lizard-thingy

Blow up the Moon. Big ball becomes smaller fragments. Small fragments go in all directions. Including straight at Earth. Pity Carl didn't think about that. It's not rocket science.
Gawdzilla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2012, 07:50 PM   #5
MontagK505
Master Poster

I've heard a crazy story about Cocoa Cola wanting to use colored power on the moon to create the solar systems largest billboard.

Political correctness is linguistic Fascism. - P.D. James
MontagK505 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 12:10 AM   #6
xtifr
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by MontagK505 View Post
I've heard a crazy story about Cocoa Cola wanting to use colored power on the moon to create the solar systems largest billboard.
It was Moka Cola. The Man Who Sold the MoonWP.
-- James Nicoll
xtifr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 12:39 AM   #7
BowlOfRed
Muse

I kept not understanding where the phrase "blow up" was coming from. I now suppose that they have modified the headline of the story. It no longer uses that phrase.

ETA
Never mind. I see a video link in the other thread over here -> http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=248439 with Brian Williams describing it exactly as destroying the moon.... ouch.

Last edited by BowlOfRed; 29th November 2012 at 12:44 AM.
BowlOfRed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 02:37 AM   #8
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BowlOfRed View Post
I kept not understanding where the phrase "blow up" was coming from. I now suppose that they have modified the headline of the story. It no longer uses that phrase.

ETA
Never mind. I see a video link in the other thread over here -> http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=248439 with Brian Williams describing it exactly as destroying the moon.... ouch.
I see that they have edited the article. It was originally exactly as I quoted it in the OP, including the headline and the first sentence.
Old 29th November 2012, 03:13 AM   #9
catsmate1
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
SMH: Carl Sagan planned to blow up the moon with an atom bomb
Given that Sgan was smart enough to know this was (and is) impossible I'd say no.

Originally Posted by Halfcentaur View Post
I heard about this a day or two ago, but was meaning to get around to looking it up. Isn't the moon like, useful for shielding us from a lot of space debris? Man this is a nutty story.
And there are the tides. Plus the rain of lunar debris.

Originally Posted by MontagK505 View Post
The idea appeared in one of Arthur C. Clarke's short stories about a US/UK/SU moon mission. I think Heinlein used it also.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 03:43 AM   #10
SezMe
post-pre-born

Also I just thought they were making a big mushroom cloud for Russians to see, not actually blowing apart the moon.
There has to be an atmosphere to create a mushroom cloud. Also, it would be like hushaboom since there would be no sound. Actually, getting the bomb to the moon would have been more impressive than the ka-boom.
SezMe is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 08:17 AM   #11
ElMondoHummus
0.25 short of being half-witted

Speaking seriously:

I am extremely skeptical of this. It's an easy thing to say "Hey, look at the dumb Americans!" (and as an American, I do that myself to myself a lot ), but in reality, the physicists who would've been involved would've had a pretty good idea of the power of atomic bombs in relation to the size of the target and realized what a ludicrous idea this would be.

--------

Now, speaking, umm... well, less seriously (*ahem*): If this is for real, I already have a suspect.

... so if the project involved the illudium Q-36 explosive space modulator, we got him dead to rights.
"... my favorite meal is grilled filet of spherical cow of uniform density ... with a side of mashed potatoes of indeterminate volume, peas arranged in an optimal packing configuration, and a glass of ideal fluid." (PhysicsForums)
ElMondoHummus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 09:15 AM   #12
dogjones
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by catsmate1 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontagK505
I've heard a crazy story about Cocoa Cola wanting to use colored power on the moon to create the solar systems largest billboard
The idea appeared in one of Arthur C. Clarke's short stories about a US/UK/SU moon mission. I think Heinlein used it also.
Grant Naylor also used it in the Red Dwarf book - only it was done by triggering supernovae. Most amusing!
Old 29th November 2012, 09:23 AM   #13
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

They even made documentary about it:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 29th November 2012, 03:00 PM   #14
Brainache
Nasty Brutish and Tall

I vaguely remember reading something about this... Wasn't the idea to set off a large explosion on the Moon's surface and analyse the spectra of the flash to find out what sorts of minerals etc were there? Just like they did recently when they crashed a probe into it.

Invert the prominent diaphragm!!!

I have eaten breakfast and have not written an Epistle to any Church. - dejudge.
Brainache is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 05:23 PM   #15
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
There has to be an atmosphere to create a mushroom cloud. Also, it would be like hushaboom since there would be no sound. Actually, getting the bomb to the moon would have been more impressive than the ka-boom.
At least they wouldn't have to get it back alive, which would have simplified matters. And you wouldn't have to tell anyone about the ones that missed or didn't go off.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 05:34 PM   #16
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Brainache View Post
I vaguely remember reading something about this... Wasn't the idea to set off a large explosion on the Moon's surface and analyse the spectra of the flash to find out what sorts of minerals etc were there? Just like they did recently when they crashed a probe into it.
This is an area where actuality, rational proposals, crackpot proposals and sci-fi all generally confound each other. Some crackpot proposals, for instance, were official. This was the 60's, remember, a place where any crazy theory can find a home. In the shadow of the Bomb and drugged-up to the lower lids, those were years when strange things happened.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 05:44 PM   #17
shadron
Philosopher

Time for my roll-out about destroying the Earth with nukes:

The largest nuke ever exploded was 50 MT equiv; the sum total of all atomic weapons ever used is 510 MT. The Chicxulub meteor (responsible for dinosaur genocide) concentrated a grand 100,000,000 MT of energy release in a circle about 10 km across in the Caribbean. That amount of energy did not manage to make it through the 20km crust (single sheet of paper thin, if the Earth was a 3 meter diameter ball) into the mantle to expose it in any way. What makes you think anything we can do in the next 100 years might have any significant effect on the moon or its orbit around Earth?
shadron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 05:46 PM   #18
shadron
Philosopher

By the way, Carl Sagan was a doctoral student, and he was hired to calculate the range of the debris thrown off by the blast. There is, AFAIK, no known idea of what he personally though about the plan; the idea didn't come to light until his biographer unearthed his involvement after his death.

Project A119WP
shadron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 05:58 PM   #19
billdun262
New Blood

The Soviets were considering sending a nuclear bomb to the moon at the same time. I guess both governments decided it really wasn't that good an idea.
billdun262 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 06:14 PM   #20
shadron
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dogjones View Post
Originally Posted by catsmate1
Originally Posted by MontagK505
I've heard a crazy story about Cocoa Cola wanting to use colored power on the moon to create the solar systems largest billboard
Grant Naylor also used it in the Red Dwarf book - only it was done by triggering supernovae. Most amusing!
I'll offer my favorite, from the Wizard of Speed and Time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...w60Ozg#t=4851s

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology