ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bigfoot

Old 2nd December 2012, 01:29 PM   #41
mikeyx
Banned

Originally Posted by Jodie View Post
Well I just remember the discussions we had after we lost a bunch of mods and they were wanting a skeptic. HRP and the other admins said they wanted to have at least one to present a more balanced front. It matters so that the staff will be less likely to be accused of being biased towards proponents.

I liked MikeG because he was educated and a true skeptic so I suggested him before I left. The skeptics tend to put a "woah" on shenanigans historically so if you see anything going south, which I doubt you will now unless HRP returns, you are the designated whistle blower.

Either way, you will do a fine job Ray.
I agree with the notion of Puff and "putting up a front."
mikeyx is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2012, 06:00 PM   #42
RedRatSnake
Slithering Through life

Anyone got any info on ~ PBYodeler ~ I guess he or she is the big boss / cult leader over on the BFRO ~ Big Frigging Rip Off Forum.
RedRatSnake is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2012, 06:48 PM   #43
Jodie
Master Poster

Are you serious Slocie? Well then who is Yodler? Is that his real last name? I thought it was made up.
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2012, 07:16 PM   #44
RedRatSnake
Slithering Through life

Originally Posted by Jodie View Post
Are you serious Slocie? Well then who is Yodler? Is that his real last name? I thought it was made up.
Here is the web site for the sub forum that I got the guideline from ~ http://s2.excoboard.com/BFRO ~ I am thinking it is some sort of training place before the official cult acceptance ritual ~ hahahaha
RedRatSnake is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2012, 07:56 PM   #45
Sonny2
Muse

Isn't Moneymaker a fake name? Seems like I read that somewhere, that Matt had changed to that, but maybe not, maybe it runs deep in the family.
Sonny2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2012, 09:59 AM   #46
RedRatSnake
Slithering Through life

You skeptic's and pretend skeptic's really sleigh me ~ Hahahahaha

Not believing at all is where the real satisfaction is at, no worries about any evidence being real, knowing it has all been a con job turned into a money making scheme, laughing at the fools out there looking for shadows and noises in the night, going into any BF conversation with full knowledge it doesn't exist is the real power, pretending it is real is just mind ******* yourself.

Edited by LashL:  Edited to properly mask profanity. Please see Rule 10 re: the auto-censor.

One thing about the BFF is you can point that out to some extent. On the BFRO you post it once then you are banned.

Last edited by LashL; 8th December 2012 at 10:44 PM.
Old 3rd December 2012, 06:31 PM   #47
StankApe
Banned

I think that sometimes people start projecting their own level of "no true skeptic" onto others and forgetting that we aren't all automatons, trudging forward chanting "logical fallacy, no evidence to support your claim, logical fallacy, no evidence to support your claim...."

If we are gonna be at each other's throats, at least let it be about something worthwhile.
StankApe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2012, 07:22 PM   #48
jerrywayne
Muse

I post much less at BFF for three reasons.

First, the mods were starting to rely heavily on an erroneous "troll" characterization to remove posts.

Second, a few folks seemed to think it their duty to interrupt any skeptical arguments promptly. This became a form of harassment.

Third, I woke up in the middle of the night once and said in a clear, strong voice: "But Patterson made two films!" I woke myself up. If my wife had not been visiting her family, my loud declaration would have scared the bejabbers out of her. And I'm still not sure what I meant by the remark. So, I thought, it's getting to me and I should lay off the Bigfoot stuff for a while.
jerrywayne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2012, 07:57 PM   #49
RedRatSnake
Slithering Through life

It will be interesting to see how the different BF type forums adapt to the continuing lack of evidence as time goes on, as a former member off the BFF and part of the team I felt somewhat obligated to try and keep the dream and at the same time the forum alive, It will change ya at least for a time being.
Old 3rd December 2012, 09:27 PM   #50
Sonny2
Muse

I think for me, the only purpose the BFF serves is to have a place to go visit once in awhile to see how depressing it can be to be superstitious. I know some of you still enjoy the BF mystery, and it used to be the same for me, but any more, it's just depressing to see how silly and ignorant people can be.

As for the BFRO, once in a long while I'll go see what's been posted for my region and it's usually good for a laugh or two...until it, too, gets depressing.

I have a bumper sticker that reads - Got Science?

I'll add that I really get a different feeling when reading BF stuff than from reading science stuff - I especially like climatology and paleontology. I have a much better attitude when reading science, I don't feel like I'm sinking into the pits of human devolvement.

Last edited by Sonny2; 3rd December 2012 at 09:30 PM.
Sonny2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2012, 09:33 PM   #51
GT/CS
Illuminator

Haven't you heard, there is tons of new DNA evidence!
I can't imagine the BFRO embracing it.
I keep waiting for the human vs. ape fights to start but it looks like everyone's waiting for 'the paper' before they duke it out.
Old 3rd December 2012, 09:41 PM   #52
Sonny2
Muse

The BFRO actually thinks (or acts like it does) that they're pursuing science, so of course they'll refuse to put their stamp of approval on Ketchum's DNA results. And in that case, they'll be correct, but for the wrong reasons.
Old 3rd December 2012, 11:18 PM   #53
quarky
Banned

Holy cow.

I had no idea these sites and these passions existed.
Does the Lochness Monster have similar devotees?
quarky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2012, 11:48 PM   #54
StankApe
Banned

Originally Posted by quarky View Post
Holy cow.

I had no idea these sites and these passions existed.
Does the Lochness Monster have similar devotees?
type in bigfoot forums and go there and lurk the general bigfoot discussion area, within 2 weeks you will either confirm that there is no hope for the human race or have a psychotic episode!
StankApe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2012, 10:00 AM   #55
mikeyx
Banned

Originally Posted by jerrywayne View Post
I post much less at BFF for three reasons.

First, the mods were starting to rely heavily on an erroneous "troll" characterization to remove posts.

Second, a few folks seemed to think it their duty to interrupt any skeptical arguments promptly. This became a form of harassment.

muldur chiefly among them but not alone.

Quote:
Third, I woke up in the middle of the night once and said in a clear, strong voice: "But Patterson made two films!" I woke myself up. If my wife had not been visiting her family, my loud declaration would have scared the bejabbers out of her. And I'm still not sure what I meant by the remark. So, I thought, it's getting to me and I should lay off the Bigfoot stuff for a while.
the "report" there is also from what I understand abused liberally by the same ilk who attack any skepticism.
mikeyx is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2012, 10:32 AM   #56
MikeG
Philosopher

Originally Posted by mikeyx View Post
.............the "report" there is also from what I understand abused liberally by the same ilk who attack any skepticism.
Well, I can answer that pretty comprehensively from direct personal experience behind the scenes.

You would be surprised at how few reports there actually are (were). And, you may be surprised to know that there isn't a domination of one side of the fence or the other when it comes to reporting. Sceptics and proponents tended to get reported roughly in proportion to their numbers.

I would say that reports probably averaged less than 1 per day, overall. Obviously this followed a fairly randomised pattern, with peaks and troughs, but over-reporting is (or at least, was) not a big issue. A couple of members were warned about over-use of the report button before my time as a mod.

I'd hazard a guess that at least 25% of reports were dismissed at groundless.

Mike
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2012, 10:36 AM   #57
quarky
Banned

It would be pretty cool if bigfoot and the Loch Ness monster could meet and become friends. The hairy guy could ride along with the serpent-dude and have fun, until a ufo from the Pleadians crashed into them, and the wounded Loch Ness monster crawls onto land to die, so that the locals could enjoy the delicious meat, and his tail, in its death thrashing, draws a magnificent crop circle.

Bizarre myths unite!

(This post was channeled by We R Psychic.com and associates.)
quarky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2012, 12:13 PM   #58
tsig
a carbon based life-form

Originally Posted by Slocie's View Post
It will be interesting to see how the different BF type forums adapt to the continuing lack of evidence as time goes on, as a former member off the BFF and part of the team I felt somewhat obligated to try and keep the dream and at the same time the forum alive, It will change ya at least for a time being.
It seems that the lack of evidence is what they thrive on, if some one actually brings home the monkey the speculation and the searches cease.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2012, 07:06 PM   #59
jerrywayne
Muse

Originally Posted by tsig View Post
It seems that the lack of evidence is what they thrive on, if some one actually brings home the monkey the speculation and the searches cease.
Agree. It's the mystery that excites. If they exist, and end up in the zoo, or on their own reality show, they instantly leave less to the imagination. And the imagination is where Bigfoot thrives.
jerrywayne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2012, 08:06 PM   #60
RedRatSnake
Slithering Through life

Originally Posted by mikeyx View Post
muldur chiefly among them but not alone.
The Pied Piper of the BFF
Old 5th December 2012, 01:29 AM   #61
rockinkt
Muse

Originally Posted by Slocie's View Post
The Pied Piper of the BFF
I sort of see him as a new-age Don Quixote fighting imaginary battles without any ammunition and then claiming victories while those around him wince and try and hide their laughter while at the same time encourage him to fight some more.
Pretty sad.

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt

Last edited by rockinkt; 5th December 2012 at 01:45 AM. Reason: typo
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2012, 06:52 PM   #62
RedRatSnake
Slithering Through life

That is a pretty much dead on description of what's going on over there with the guy. Nice Job ~
Old 6th December 2012, 08:41 PM   #63
AttorneyTom
Muse

You know... it is kind of nice that you former BFRO peeps have set up your own thread on the JREF. For some rehab and decompression. Talking sense vs. nonsense that sort of thing.

It is very commendable ! It is mind boggling to me what apparently went on over at the BFRO . It must still go on today ? Brainwashing and the colloquelisms.

Keep it up guys !

I am sincere about this. Keep the discussion going. This is a good thing.

Tom

Last edited by AttorneyTom; 6th December 2012 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Just thought about it ?
AttorneyTom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2012, 09:13 PM   #64
RedRatSnake
Slithering Through life

Well I was only a BFRO peep for about 7 or 8 posts all in about an hour, I wanted to belong, but they didn't like me asking about why a baby bear had to be called a baby Bigfoot. I didn't get mad, upset or traumatized in anyway, I just got a quick lesson on what I had already known, The BFRO is the cult leader when it comes to BF ~ Sorry BFF but you guys ain't even close to their level, But hey! 2nd place ain't that bad either, you should be proud cause not to many forums get away with being such good BS artist's.
Old 6th December 2012, 09:22 PM   #65
AttorneyTom
Muse

I consider the BFRO a cult. Some here might not agree with me ? But any organization like that keeps repetitive things and issues. They make up things and the fictions they make up show here with some of their folks.. over and over. So, yes to me a cult. The Finding Bigfoot Show is such a catalyst for it.

Hell.. you are arguing with them on this thread !

You can see the fake folks here.. they act like they are not but they are. It is sad. They will believe anything. Hope you are not like that.. You dont seem to be ?

Last edited by AttorneyTom; 6th December 2012 at 09:28 PM.
AttorneyTom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2012, 09:37 PM   #66
RedRatSnake
Slithering Through life

Even back in the day when I first started looking into BF on the internet, I knew the BFRO was way over the top with the shove BF down your throat angle, I still laugh at BF reports from Cape Cod, MA . The BFRO without a doubt has made up most of their so called data base.

I ain't following you here Tom ? ~ you are arguing with them on this thread ~

You can see the fake folks here.. they act like they are not but they are. It is sad. They will believe anything. Hope you are not like that.. You dont seem to be ?

Years ago I thought there was a chance for such an animal, I joined a few BF forums and over a few years did my own digging, found out is was a bunch of BS, confronted my so called friends and got the answer we always hear, "I swear to god it was real" I then took about a year off from any BF stuff and thought, I came back too do just one thing, Make them prove BF is real and to take my crap until they do .....

Hope that helps ~ LOL

Last edited by RedRatSnake; 6th December 2012 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Add
Old 7th December 2012, 12:03 AM   #67
Sonny2
Muse

I think anyone who's a decent storyteller could make up a BF sighting that any gullible person would believe. And maybe even some who aren't so gullible.

I was hiking in the Wind River Range one time and all of a sudden, from nowhere, I felt like I was being watched. I mean, it was a beutiful sunny day and I'd been thinking about the fact that I had just got engaged, I mean I was totally distracted, hardly even noticed where I was at. So for this to just come out of the blue was weird. It was so sudden and so out of character for me. I've hiked those mountains since I was a kid. I had a sudden urge to flee, to go back to my car. I just stopped and stood there, when suddenly, I saw... you get the picture...LOL

Maybe the BFRO hires college English majors to write their database.

Last edited by Sonny2; 7th December 2012 at 12:04 AM.
Old 7th December 2012, 01:51 AM   #68
tsig
a carbon based life-form

Originally Posted by Sonny2 View Post
I think anyone who's a decent storyteller could make up a BF sighting that any gullible person would believe. And maybe even some who aren't so gullible.

I was hiking in the Wind River Range one time and all of a sudden, from nowhere, I felt like I was being watched. I mean, it was a beutiful sunny day and I'd been thinking about the fact that I had just got engaged, I mean I was totally distracted, hardly even noticed where I was at. So for this to just come out of the blue was weird. It was so sudden and so out of character for me. I've hiked those mountains since I was a kid. I had a sudden urge to flee, to go back to my car. I just stopped and stood there, when suddenly, I saw... you get the picture...LOL

Maybe the BFRO hires college English majors to write their database.
I call storitus interuptus.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2012, 09:18 AM   #69
mikeyx
Banned

Originally Posted by AttorneyTom View Post
I consider the BFRO a cult. Some here might not agree with me ? But any organization like that keeps repetitive things and issues. They make up things and the fictions they make up show here with some of their folks.. over and over. So, yes to me a cult. The Finding Bigfoot Show is such a catalyst for it.

It is the epicenter of a larger cult/industry, by which I mean those who have o mantain their "status" within the community while defending all other "legitimate" researchers while trying to hawk their blog---blogtalk-- whatever fill in the blank, thing, but theres a bunch of them and they all typically back each other up when they're not stabbing each other in the back.

1 part cult, 1 part carnival, 1 part industry, all parts puckey.
Old 7th December 2012, 09:19 AM   #70
mikeyx
Banned

Originally Posted by AttorneyTom View Post

specify please.
Old 7th December 2012, 12:45 PM   #71
herrdocjdm
Scholar

Originally Posted by COGrizzly View Post
Hello all,

I see a lot of basically bashing on the BFF here. Not so much for the BFRO Forum. The BFRO seems to be much more out of reach, (as they say, and IMO)

Why?
Easy, the BFRO is the kiddie table, BFF is the grown up table. But one must always remember your dining in a nut house either way.
herrdocjdm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2012, 01:43 PM   #72
Sonny2
Muse

Originally Posted by tsig View Post
I call storitus interuptus.
Sorry, Tsig, my BS governor shut down my story-telling engine.
Old 7th December 2012, 07:42 PM   #73
RedRatSnake
Slithering Through life

Originally Posted by herrdocjdm View Post
Easy, the BFRO is the kiddie table, BFF is the grown up table. But one must always remember your dining in a nut house either way.
Hahahaha ~ Thanks for that. I was kinda feeling a bit sorry for being so critical about the footers for a second or two, I do have a heart at times but when it comes to dragging this BF junk into 2013 someone has to be the Grinch.
Old 8th December 2012, 09:32 AM   #74
Sonny2
Muse

2013? I wish I could see into the future. Will Bigfoot ever die off and become extinct?
Old 8th December 2012, 05:51 PM   #75
AlaskaBushPilot
Master Poster

Originally Posted by rockinkt View Post
Pretending to be even-handed is not the same as being even-handed - especially while pretending to be a skeptic at the same time like MikeG was/is.
This.

Every one of them pretends to be "balanced" by generating straw men positions skeptics do not have, playing dumb, selective attention, begging the question, etc: using logical fallacies at the same time they are pretending to "show" skeptics how to be TRULY skeptical. You can see the smirk on their faces as they're typing.

It would be one thing were it reasonable differences people have, but one of the gifts in this kind of acting is staking out a completely absurd position with a straight face and pretending people disagreeing with it are unreasonable. What, who me? No, honestly I really think two plus two can be five, for sufficiently large values of two.

The default position of the wildest bigfoot proponent is that he is the balanced, open-minded skeptic and the people following the scientific method are closed-minded, biased jerks. Every new phony skeptic here thinks he's come up with the "new idea" of posing himself as the fair-and-balanced skeptic saying a thousand years of history is not enough to determine whether elephants are roaming wild in Central Park.

For a lot of them that come here discussion is not about science and truth. It's just a fun game they're playing, and faking a position is way more fun than honest discussion. Chain-yanking. That is what I react to most strongly - that kind of deceit. I've tried to do it by going on their forums and faking a position but it bothers me too much to maintain a lie.

But boy, they sure can. They know exactly how deceitful they are being while they are doing it, which is where the fun is for them: everyone else being so stupid as to buy into their deception. Not their false argument - but making you believe that they are sincere in that argument.

You can see it being turned on and off like a light switch. Day and night. One minute looking up sources and sounding reasonable and the next minute saying the moon is made of green cheese.
AlaskaBushPilot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2012, 07:33 PM   #76
RedRatSnake
Slithering Through life

Originally Posted by AlaskaBushPilot View Post

For a lot of them that come here discussion is not about science and truth.
In all seriousness. What kind of science is left with the Bigfoot subject, we know it is not out there, sure years ago it was all good to go looking and bring some science into it, that's what had to be done, but now we know it is a myth and hoax.
As I see it, there is not much left but to have a laugh and make jokes about it.
Old 8th December 2012, 07:43 PM   #77
Sonny2
Muse

Agreed, Slocie's. Some just enjoy it as a hobby and don't really take it serious to begin with (that would be me).

Authoritarianism isn't the same as skepticism.
Old 8th December 2012, 07:48 PM   #78
Jodie
Master Poster

Let me ask you guys something, if the mythical bigfoot stepped out of the underbrush onto a trail you happened to be hiking, and you got a really good look at him from head to toe standing six feet away from you, would you tell anyone?
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2012, 07:57 PM   #79
Sonny2
Muse

I would. I would tell everyone I know to see if they could help me determine if I were still sane or not. I would be 100% convinced I had hallucinated or misconstrued something.

Show me the body, then I'll believe. I'm all too aware of how we humans can see and misconstrue things, and my brain is human (last I heard). Even at six feet away, or it could be a suit.

Last edited by Sonny2; 8th December 2012 at 07:58 PM.
Old 8th December 2012, 08:05 PM   #80
RedRatSnake
Slithering Through life

I have seen some weird stuff in my day all on the ocean, I have always talked about it with friends and relatives cause I like to find the answer to things, If I thought I had seen a mythical beast I would do the same.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal