ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 13th December 2012, 01:01 PM   #1241
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
Again, could you explain why you feel it is irrational to speculate that life might exist elsewhere in the universe, and why it is irrational to spend a small fraction of one's professional career wondering if it might be possible to detect it, should any of it have long ago reached the same technological level that we achieved in only a few thousand years of civilization?

I want to see if you are even capable of having this discussion.
The link that Dcdrac provided to the rationalskepticism.org thread has given me my answer. Justin simply is not capable of having an intelligent discussion regarding any of the issues that he has raised. He deals with the frustration that this causes him by behaving like an obstreperous child.

There are two ways one can confront one's own ignorance: Face it head on and recognize it as an opportunity to learn something new, or succumb to one's ego and deny it out of a belief that admitting it would be an admission of weakness. Some who engage in the latter prefer to project the insecurity that they feel regarding their own inabilities onto others. This is clearly what is happening here.
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2012, 01:24 PM   #1242
justintime
Banned

Originally Posted by Dcdrac View Post
yes but Frank Drake and Carl sagan DID NBOT work together until VEY MUCH LATER and also Carl Sagans main work unlike Frnalk Drakes WAS NOT SETI
He pioneered exobiology and promoted the Search for Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence (SETI).

http://www.seti.org/carlsagancenter

Carl Sagan with his Cosmos TV series and visible promotion of SETI overshadowed Frank Drake whose Drake Equations was the basis for calculating the probability of finding extraterrestrial life on distant planets. There is a video of Carl Sagan talking about the Drake Equation.

You can say Frank Drake was Carl Sagan's mentor. But Frank Drake was never obsessed with flying saucers and aliens.
justintime is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2012, 01:52 PM   #1243
Spindrift
My little friend is back!

Originally Posted by justintime View Post
You can say Frank Drake was Carl Sagan's mentor. But Frank Drake was never obsessed with flying saucers and aliens.
Maybe you can say that but you can't say this:

SETI was co-founded by Carl Sagan and Frank Drake in 1960
Oh and Sagan like Drake was never obsessed with flying saucers and aliens.
Old 13th December 2012, 01:59 PM   #1244
kerikiwi
Philosopher

ButLike Carl Sagan, Frank Drake was never obsessed with flying saucers and aliens.
There, that's better, isn't it?
kerikiwi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2012, 02:07 PM   #1245
Dinwar
Penultimate Amazing

Exobiology is a legitimate field. Peter Ward toyed with it in a rigorous way. The idea isn't to figure out what aliens ARE, but rather what they COULD BE. There are limits to what we can define as life, after all--the fact that we can define the term at all means there are limits (with admitedly fuzzy edges). Exobiology is interested in figuring out what those limits are.

I don't expect justintime to learn anything, but hopefully some posters/lurkers that are actually serious about this sort of thing look into Ward's works. The most relevant is "Life as We Do Not Know It",which is both a facinating read and perhaps the most absurd title ever (n terms of which letters to capitalize (I keep meaning to send it to an English professor for a profesional opinion on the matter).

I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.
Dinwar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2012, 02:15 PM   #1246
godless dave
Great Dalmuti

Carl Sagan with his Cosmos TV series and visible promotion of SETI overshadowed Frank Drake whose Drake Equations was the basis for calculating the probability of finding extraterrestrial life on distant planets.
How many Cosmos episodes do you think talked about the possbility of extraterrestrial life?
Old 13th December 2012, 02:17 PM   #1247
godless dave
Great Dalmuti

Definition of obsession: An idea or thought that continually preoccupies or intrudes Sagan created the titles "Contact" and "Cosmos" to say we're not alone in this vast universeon a person's mind.
"Cosmos" devoted very little time to the possibility of extraterrestrial life.

"Contact" was a work of fiction. Do you understand that? Do you understand that the book "Pet Semetary" does not depict actual events, and that Stephen King does not believe it depicts actual events?
Old 13th December 2012, 04:05 PM   #1248
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

Location: ...not where I seemed, nor was calculated to be...but no-one need worry...
Definition of obsession: An idea or thought that continually preoccupies or intrudes Sagan created the titles "Contact" and "Cosmos" to say we're not alone in this vast universeon a person's mind.
As usual, you completely fail to identify the source from which you stole this definition...and, I might say, stole it badly. I know where it came from.

BTW, in the original, it does not contain the words beginning between "Sagan" and "..a person's mind", but your careless presentation makes it look as if you are trying to pretend that Dr. Sagan's name is part of the "definition" you stole.

RHWUD2 defines "obsession" as "1. the domination of one's thoughts or feelings by a persistent idea, image, desire, etc." (p. 1338, so you can find it).

Despite your clumsy attempts at calumny, Dr. Sagan's "thoughts or feelings" were not "dominated" by "UFOs" or "Aliens". Certainly not in the way your thoughts are dominated with lying about him.

How much of Cosmos was about LGM "aliens"? How much of Cosmos was about "UFOs"? What percentage of Dr. Sagan's life work does Cosmos represent? So much for demonstrating an "obsession"...

How much of Contact (a work of fiction) was about LGM "aliens"? How much of Contact (a work of fiction) was about "UFOs"? What percentage of Dr. Sagan's work does Contact represent? So much for demonstrating an "obsession"...

Carl Sagan started out believing in flying saucers and aliens. Everyone around him claimed he took aliens seriously.
His show Cosmos claims.
Telling outright lies does not bother you at all. does it? Just as when you tried to claim that you know me, and know who I am, and know where I live...did you learn nothing?

It has been demonstrated to you, multiple times, that Dr. Sagan did not "believe" in" "flying saucers". He mentions "flying saucers" to debunk them, to demonstrate that claims of "flying saucers" and "UFOs", without evidence, are spurious. He compares reports of "UFOs" and "alien visitations" to historical reports of seeing angles, and fairies, and of being visited by saints. You really ought to consider making true statements.

Sagan created the titles "Contact" and "Cosmos" to say we're not alone in this vast universe
This statement is not original. It is stolen without attribution, from a source you did not provide. Why must you continually act dishonestly? Plagiarism is wrong, and it makes you seem even more untrustworthy...

Sagan’s “Cosmos” Episode 13: “Who Speaks for Earth” drops the bomb about alien life
This statement is not original. It is stolen without attribution, from a source you did not provide. Why must you continually act dishonestly? Plagiarism is wrong, and it makes you seem even more untrustworthy...

UFO sightings prompted Carl Sagan to insist on cyanide pills for first contact

http://www.huliq.com/10282/ufo-sight...-first-contact
As has been pointed out to you, this link (which you might consider reading) says that the DVD of Contact "features a commentary by “Contact” movie producers Robert Zemeckis and Steve Starkey, revealing how Carl Sagan 'insisted that NASA give out cyanide pills to its astronauts.' "

I hope you realize this is not "evidence", and it is dishonest of you to claim that it is. There is no other record of Dr. Sagan insisting on this. Given the rest of the tone of the article (note the aspersions cast on the time and method of Dr. Sagan's death), it would be unwise to use the article as "evidence" of anything other than the perfidy of the writer. You really ought to consider the quality of sources, before you claim that anything has been "proved"...

His project SETI searched for extraterrestrial intelligent life (aliens) for 50 years. If this is not obsession with aliens. Skeptics are in denial.
What percentage of Dr. Sagan's work does the time he spent with, and on, SETI, represent? What source do you provide for this information?
Dr. Sagan spent a far smaller portion of his time on SETI than the portion of your time you spend telling lies about Dr. Sagan.

Your false dichotomy notwithstanding, SETI was not an "obsession" of Dr. Sagan's. And, since you continue to confuse and conflate "Skeptic", skeptic", and "skeptical thinking", your claim that "Skeptics are in denial" is fundamentally false in its construction, and demonstrably false in its presumed conclusion.
Old 13th December 2012, 06:30 PM   #1249
JohnG
Pedantic Bore

Originally Posted by GeneMachine View Post
On that huliq.com article... Let me quote it quoting Sagan:

“There are billions of inhabited world in the Milky Way Galaxy, perhaps there will be a few populated by the sinker, floaters and hunters (alien life forms that could threaten Earth)...

I'm skeptical that Sagan ever said that "sinkers", "floaters" and "hunters" (theoretical life forms that could exist on gas giants such as Jupiter or Saturn) could "threaten Earth".
Old 13th December 2012, 08:19 PM   #1250
Loss Leader
Opinionated Jerk

What it shows is Skeptic Forums are not created equal but Skeptics are. Skeptics quite accurately fit the definition: One who instinctively or habitually doubts, questions, or disagrees with assertions or generally accepted conclusions.

I find JREF is fortunate to have some very mature skeptics. From the number of posts and the long years of dedicated participation they recognize the value in contributions that reflect thinking outside the box.

What better lifeline than one from the outside tossed to those trapped for years on the inside.

I am sure many are reading my posts not because they want to know what a Skeptic is. Most here are as I said mature skeptics. They just want to know how to get out of the trapped box.

Inundated with the same trash topics there is no escaping the drowning feeling under the never ending doubts, uncertainty and insecurity.

Now I have to lie down for a couple hours.

What is my Gladiator Profile?
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 12:59 AM   #1251
Mojo
Mostly harmless

I am sure many are reading my posts not because they want to know what a Skeptic is.

People who want to know what a skeptic (or even a Skeptic) is not, on the other hand, would be well advised to read your posts.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 02:44 AM   #1252
Dcdrac
Philosopher

And to correct JT once again Doctor Carl Sagan was not obsessed with flying asucers and aliens.

No amount of repeating that mantra will change that fact.

And Frank Drake and Carl sagan were never in competition with each other they were colleagues and freinds, with Frank Drake leading the way in SETI, and in Doctor Drakes case it was not his entire work either, it remained one and JUST one area of interest for Doctor Carl Sagan.

You seem incapable of accepting that scientists can be interested in many fields.

Last edited by Dcdrac; 14th December 2012 at 03:01 AM.
Dcdrac is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 03:16 AM   #1253
Dcdrac
Philosopher

My current favourite science populeriser is Jim Al-Khalili

http://www.jimal-khalili.com/
Dcdrac is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 04:39 AM   #1254
Mojo
Mostly harmless

And to correct JT once again Doctor Carl Sagan was not obsessed with flying asucers and aliens.

No amount of repeating that mantra will change that fact.

And Frank Drake and Carl sagan were never in competition with each other they were colleagues and freinds, with Frank Drake leading the way in SETI, and in Doctor Drakes case it was not his entire work either, it remained one and JUST one area of interest for Doctor Carl Sagan.

You seem incapable of accepting that scientists can be interested in many fields.

You know, JT looks very much like:
One who instinctively or habitually doubts, questions, or disagrees with assertions or generally accepted conclusions.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 07:24 AM   #1255
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

My current favourite science populeriser is Jim Al-Khalili

http://www.jimal-khalili.com/
Who just became President of the British Humanist Association.

Top chap. I saw him speak at the Cheltenham Science Festival a few years ago; he explained the double slit experiment so well that I actually heard someone near me gasp as he got it.

Last edited by Pixel42; 14th December 2012 at 07:26 AM.
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 11:42 AM   #1256
Dcdrac
Philosopher

And this one of the greatest TV prgamees EVER Cosmoss

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Z2AnfStRSM

Last edited by Dcdrac; 14th December 2012 at 11:57 AM.
Old 14th December 2012, 01:07 PM   #1257
Dcdrac
Philosopher

Civlisation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNGzoJFj9g8
Old 17th December 2012, 09:14 AM   #1258
justintime
Banned

I noticed my absence has slowed the momentum this thread was building. Without the intellectual input it is only expected interest would decline. <snip> But optimism is the better part of valor.

Continuing with my theory on Skeptics/Skepticism and Rationalism. Not only have I defined what is a skeptic. I am advancing the theory to show how skeptics are produced.

Quote:
Skeptics are produced in childhood. The formula was discovered in a surprising situation. Surprise Discovery on how skeptics are produced.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=1ezEukr0zuo#!

Edited by Tricky:  Edited for Rule 0. Please be polite to other members.

Last edited by Tricky; 17th December 2012 at 02:58 PM.
justintime is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2012, 09:37 AM   #1259
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

Location: ...not where I seemed, nor was calculated to be...but no-one need worry...
I noticed my absence has slowed the momentum this thread was building. Without the intellectual input it is only expected interest would decline. <snip> But optimism is the better part of valor.

Continuing with my theory on Skeptics/Skepticism and Rationalism. Not only have I defined what is a skeptic. I am advancing the theory to show how skeptics are produced.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=1ezEukr0zuo#!

Edited by Tricky:  Edited for Rule 0. Please be polite to other members.
Is there a source with the transcript for the video?
I hoped for some substance.

ETA:
I found kimbo99's other videos (http://www.youtube.com/user/kimbo99?feature=watch) and his own website (http://www.truebluehealer.com/), but no transcripts. I choose not to spend 13 1/2 minutes on a video about producing "pseudoskeptics", when you claim to have defined, and be presenting information about, "Skeptics" (or "skeptics", depending on the post).

Did you ever provide a source for "your" "definition"?

Last edited by Tricky; 17th December 2012 at 02:59 PM. Reason: fix attribution
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2012, 09:42 AM   #1260
Resume
Penultimate Amazing

I noticed my absence has slowed the momentum this thread was building. Without the intellectual input it is only expected interest would decline.
When might that start?
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2012, 09:52 AM   #1261
Loss Leader
Opinionated Jerk

Originally Posted by Slowvehicle View Post
Is there a source with the transcript for the video?

I only watched about a minute and a half. After an introduction, it's a news clip of a primary school in Australia that has a magician come in to teach the children ... lessons in stage magic. Occasionally, the author of the video puts words up on the screen that aren't demonstrated in the video.

For example, the magician says it's important to smile. The video's author (not the news station that originally aired the segment) writes on the screen something like, "These Dysfunctional Kids need Formal Lessons on how to operate their emotions" and "Magic tricks engages (sic) the attention of attention deficit kids."

Other comments: "Underfunctioning children respond positively to a MAGICIAN," "MAGICIAN has a TRANSFORMATIONAL effect on underfunctioning angry children," and "James Randi appears a strong male figure to underfuctioning angry pseudoskeptics."

The comments of the video's author are all complete nonsense that in no way follow from the news segment. Don't bother watching.

Last edited by Loss Leader; 17th December 2012 at 09:56 AM.
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2012, 09:55 AM   #1262
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
I only watched about a minute and a half. After an introduction, it's a news clip of a primary school in Australia that has a magician come in to teach the children ... lessons in stage magic. Occasionally, the author of the video puts words up on the screen that aren't demonstrated in the video.

For example, the magician says it's important to smile. The video's author (not the news station that originally aired the segment) writes on the screen something like, "These Dysfunctional Kids need Formal Lessons on how to operate their emotions" and "Magic tricks engages (sic) the attention of attention deficit kids."

The comments of the video's author are all complete nonsense that in no way follow from the video. Don't bother watching.
How can you say such spiteful things about Mireille Mathieu, discoverer of "Lay Gnosis", and perpetrator of http://www.truebluehealer.com/ ?
Old 17th December 2012, 10:11 AM   #1263
justintime
Banned

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post

Other comments: "Underfunctioning children respond positively to a MAGICIAN," "MAGICIAN has a TRANSFORMATIONAL effect on underfunctioning angry children," and "James Randi appears a strong male figure to underfuctioning angry pseudoskeptics."

The comments of the video's author are all complete nonsense that in no way follow from the news segment. Don't bother watching.
I should have mentioned the video gets to my point around the 10 minute mark. But the entire video builds a case for stunted curiosity and enthusiasm which later surfaces in skeptics.

And thank you for editing my earlier post. You can see I was a bit rusty in the charms department.
Old 17th December 2012, 10:21 AM   #1264
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

I should have mentioned the video gets to my point around the 10 minute mark. But the entire video builds a case for stunted curiosity and enthusiasm which later surfaces in skeptics.

And thank you for editing my earlier post. You can see I was a bit rusty in the charms department.
Justin, you are doing it again. The video purports to discuss how "pesudoskeptics" are "produced". You claim to be making a point about "Skeptics" (or "skeptics", depending upon which post).

Are you actually saying that a "Skeptic", a "skeptic", and a "pseudoskeptic" are the same thing?
Are you claiming that what kimbo99 says about "producing" "pseudoskeptics" applies to every skeptical thinker?

Last edited by Slowvehicle; 17th December 2012 at 11:43 AM.
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2012, 12:23 PM   #1265
Spindrift
My little friend is back!

I noticed my absence has slowed the momentum this thread was building.
Troll threads always slow done when there is no troll to feed.
Old 17th December 2012, 01:02 PM   #1266
dafydd
Banned

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
Casting your bread on the waters is pointless when there are no ducks around.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2012, 04:18 PM   #1267
justintime
Banned

I realize it is important to know what is a skeptic. It helps to identify a few famous skeptics like Carl Sagan. It also helps to understand how skeptics are produced. But it is rather shocking a Skeptic forum does not try to protect its members by helping them to identify pseudo skeptics that might be in their midst.

I have provided a link that ask skeptics if they know where they stand. I have pointed out repeatedly that is a difficult question to ask a skeptic if they know where they stand because "Skepticism is not a position, it is a process." (Dr Shermer).

So can we then infer a skeptic who has a position/stand and has an agenda is not a skeptic but a pseudo skeptic.

Pseudoskeptics revelaed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_YYtF_2Hno
Old 17th December 2012, 04:29 PM   #1268
Loss Leader
Opinionated Jerk

But it is rather shocking a Skeptic forum does not try to protect its members by helping them to identify pseudo skeptics that might be in their midst.

That's like saying it's rather shocking that grass doesn't alert gazelles that zebras are nearby.

Old 17th December 2012, 04:31 PM   #1269
dafydd
Banned

I. But it is rather shocking a Skeptic forum does not try to protect its members by helping them to identify pseudo skeptics that might be in their midst.
We don't do witch hunts here, and your definition of ''pseudo-skeptics'' leaves a lot to be desired. There are varying degrees of skepticism. The only reason I can see for pretending to be a skeptic would be getting paid for it. My main area of skepticism involves religion and the paranormal. What are you skeptical about? You keep avoiding that question.

Last edited by dafydd; 17th December 2012 at 04:33 PM.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2012, 04:31 PM   #1270
Acleron
Master Poster

Ah, the stunted curiosity must explain the tremendous popularity of the Science and Maths sub-fora.
Acleron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2012, 04:35 PM   #1271
dafydd
Banned

Originally Posted by Acleron View Post
Ah, the stunted curiosity must explain the tremendous popularity of the Science and Maths sub-fora.
And also why many posters there spent years studying their field and have such high qualifications.
Old 17th December 2012, 04:38 PM   #1272
dafydd
Banned

I realize it is important to know what is a skeptic. It helps to identify a few famous skeptics like Carl Sagan. It also helps to understand how skeptics are produced. But it is rather shocking a Skeptic forum does not try to protect its members by helping them to identify pseudo skeptics that might be in their midst.

I have provided a link that ask skeptics if they know where they stand. I have pointed out repeatedly that is a difficult question to ask a skeptic if they know where they stand because "Skepticism is not a position, it is a process." (Dr Shermer).

So can we then infer a skeptic who has a position/stand and has an agenda is not a skeptic but a pseudo skeptic.

Pseudoskeptics revelaed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_YYtF_2Hno
There is no such thing as a pseudo skeptic. Are you skeptical about that statement?
Old 17th December 2012, 05:42 PM   #1273
eerok
Quixoticist

I noticed my absence has slowed the momentum this thread was building. Without the intellectual input it is only expected interest would decline.
A train wreck isn't interesting without the train. The fact that there was nothing to say when you weren't here shows clearly enough that your mentations as you've presented them here have no substance.
Old 17th December 2012, 06:40 PM   #1274
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

Justin:

In thread #1258, you make the following claim:

As I pointed out to you in the very next post, the video you linked to does not, in fact mention how "skeptics are produced" Instead, it, like most of "kimbo99's" other videos, pretends to be making a point about "pseudoskeptics". Loss leader has pointed out the the points "made" in the voice-over and addenda are NOT the points made by what happens in the video, at all. Not to mention, you have yet to define "what is a skeptic"--not in any intelligible way. You have delivered yourself of voluminous opinions, and revealed multiple agenda, but have been less than forthcoming with actual, documented, definitions.

Given that, it is disingenuous, at best, to say the following:

First, it is, in fact, important to know what you mean when you say, "Skeptic", or "skeptic", or"pseudoskeptic"--important enough that an un-documented, plagiarized "definition" is not adequate. You are free, of course, to use any egregious, inappositive "definition" you choose--but you should have the honesty to present your sources, or make sure that the "definitions" are, in fact, unique to you.

I have asked you before, many times, to define what you mean by "Skeptic", and what you mean by "skeptic" (and now, what you mean by "pseudoskeptic"). Stealing the same badly-copied, ungrammatical explanation will not do. Be so kind as to explain whether the three terms mean the same thing to you, or different things; and if they do, in fact, mean different things, what, in your mind, is the distinction?

Second, you appear to be claiming, here, that Dr. Sagan is, in fact, a "skeptic"--even a "famous skeptic". What changed your mind?

Third, I ask again: How does a video purporting to explain how "pseudoskeptics" are "produced" say anything at all useful about skeptical thinkers? Unless you truly are claiming that "skeptics" and "pseudoskeptics" are the same thing, your video does not "advance a theory to show how skeptics are produced".

Fourth, please demonstrate where you picked up the...odd...idea that JREF needs to "protect" its members? What makes you say that the members need help identifying the "pseudo-" among us?

You go on to say the following:

Your assumption that there is a "stand" that identifies "skeptics" makes it clear that you do not understand Dr. Shermer's quote. You need to understand that skeptical thinkers may disagree, and on a range of topics. The thing that identifies a skeptical thinker, or a critical thinker, is not what is believed, but how what is believed is reached, as a belief. In other words, according to Dr, Shermer, skeptical thinkers are not identified by a position they all hold, but by the kind of processes by which, and through which, they reach the positions each holds.

I would suggest you go back and read Dr. Shermer's article. Understanding that skeptical thinking is a set of disciplines, a group of processes, a family of methods of reaching conclusions; sharing the characteristic of being evidence-driven and evidence-based, would help you not make the following mistake:

Most skeptical thinkers with whom I have had any dealings tend to hold strong opinions--given the fact that their opinions are derived,not received, this should not be surprising. To pretend otherwise is to err.

Further, until you explain exactly what you mean by "pseudoskeptic", or "pseudo skeptic", or "Skeptic" or "skeptic", pretending they are contradistinct from each other is meaningless.

If you are implying that no one with an agenda can be trusted, where does that leave you? Not to put too fine a point on it, what agenda are you pursuing, with this video?

Be so kind as to address these issues.

Last edited by Slowvehicle; 17th December 2012 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Clarifying format
Old 17th December 2012, 07:45 PM   #1275
AdMan
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
I noticed my absence has slowed the momentum this thread was building.

This.
Old 17th December 2012, 09:48 PM   #1276
booNyzarC
Scholar

Sometimes good things can come from negative things. As a result of this thread I was inspired to watch Cosmos again in its entirety for the first time in over 30 years. I started last Thursday and I just now finished episode 13. Fantastic show, as good today as it was back when it first aired!

So thank you JiT, for inspiring me to enrich myself once again with this viewing. May I suggest that you give it a watch as well and hopefully learn a bit more about who Sagan was and what he stood for? He was a great man without question, and deserving of far more respect and admiration than you've given him in these merged threads.

Cheers.
booNyzarC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2012, 12:47 AM   #1277
JohnG
Pedantic Bore

Originally Posted by booNyzarC View Post
Sometimes good things can come from negative things. As a result of this thread I was inspired to watch Cosmos again in its entirety for the first time in over 30 years. I started last Thursday and I just now finished episode 13. Fantastic show, as good today as it was back when it first aired!

So thank you JiT, for inspiring me to enrich myself once again with this viewing. May I suggest that you give it a watch as well and hopefully learn a bit more about who Sagan was and what he stood for? He was a great man without question, and deserving of far more respect and admiration than you've given him in these merged threads.

Cheers.

Agreed. I just finished watching the "Encyclopedia Galactica" episode, which is especially pertinent to JIT's claims of Sagan's supposed obsession with extraterrestrial life.
Old 18th December 2012, 01:29 AM   #1278
Mojo
Mostly harmless

But it is rather shocking a Skeptic forum does not try to protect its members by helping them to identify pseudo skeptics that might be in their midst.

Don't worry; we've identified you.

Old 18th December 2012, 01:38 AM   #1279
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Don't worry; we've identified you.
Indeed. Real sceptics have no difficulty identifying pseudosceptics, we need no help from the forum (and what form would such help take anyway? )
Old 18th December 2012, 03:42 AM   #1280
pakeha
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Slowvehicle View Post
How can you say such spiteful things about Mireille Mathieu, discoverer of "Lay Gnosis", and perpetrator of http://www.truebluehealer.com/ ?
Oh, myy[/Takei]
I think a keyboard warning would have been appropriate with that link, Sv.
pakeha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal