ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
 

Notices


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags "A Wilderness of Error" , "Fatal Vision" , errol morris , Jeffrey MacDonald , Joe MacGinniss , murder cases

Reply
Old 21st December 2012, 09:36 AM   #81
Charlie Wilkes
Illuminator
 
Charlie Wilkes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,576
Originally Posted by calebprime View Post
Here's a link to some of MacDonald's claims, with rebuttals.

http://www.themacdonaldcase.com/html/mmt.html

(called MacDonald's Magical Mystery Tour)

Admittedly, it's anti-MacDonald.

Also, there are one or two items that I disagree with.

But on the whole, it's a source for arguing.

Can you take particular items, or any other particular lines of evidence, and talk about them? (I mean, can you elaborate?)
I can predict where this might go.

The prosecution has fit the evidence into a complete and credible narrative. It is summarized in the article at the top of this thread.

MacDonald's supporters will never fit the evidence into competing narrative. Instead, they will seize on unexplained details to support the claim that "something else happened," without ever saying exactly what.

Last edited by Charlie Wilkes; 21st December 2012 at 09:38 AM.
Charlie Wilkes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 11:05 AM   #82
Henri McPhee
Thinker
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 221
Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
It's also worth noting, as the Post writer did, that all of the murder weapons -- a knife, an ice pick and a piece of lumber -- belonged to the MacDonalds. The doctor's story is that a gang of crazed psychokillers invaded the home of a Green Beret officer intending to massacre him and his family without bringing any weapons. Pretty hard to swallow.
That's completely untrue. There is no evidence that any of the murder weapons came from the MacDonald apartment.

Dr. MacDonald was convicted by a biased jury and judges who were in bed with the prosecution and by prosecutors who had no respect for the Brady material law on the disclosure of evidence to the defense.

Dr MacDonald was cleared by Colonel Rock at the Article 32 in 1970 after a thorough investigation and Colonel Rock then suggested Helena Stoeckley should be investigated. That never really happened properly, except for a few cursory questions.

Army CID agent Shaw thought Colette murdered the two little girls and Kearns thought he did it because he was a womanizer. It's quite ludicrously unsatisfactory evidence. Stombaugh of the FBI was never qualified to render an opinion about fabric impressions and as Murtagh said in court that Stombaugh only said it could be and the same with the threads.

The blood where Dr. MacDonald fell was deliberately left off the charts shown to the jury which swayed at least one juror

Judge Dupree said at a 1985 MacDonald appeal that Helena and Greg Mitchell were probably courting on a bridge somewhere! The MacDonald case needs a competent and just judge.

The crux of the prosecution case is that there was supposed to be no evidence of intruders, except that the were blonde synthetic hair -like fibers at the crime scene which almost certainly came form Helena Stoeckley. There was candle wax which Browning of the Army CID lab did not come from any MacDonald candle, and a world expert in surgical gloves testified that it was "extremely unlikely' that the surgical glove fragment came from a MacDonald surgical glove

There were black wool fibers on the wooden club murder weapon and around Colette's mouth and on her arm, with no known source. Murtagh tried to explain that by saying there are photos of Colette once wearing a black dress which is ludicrously unsatisfactory.

I think the background to this case is that the CIA, and possibly Army CID and FBI ,were drug smuggling through Fort Bragg, and they didn't want the real culprits to talk about the matter in a courtroom.
Henri McPhee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 11:21 AM   #83
Charlie Wilkes
Illuminator
 
Charlie Wilkes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,576
Just as expected...
Charlie Wilkes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 03:05 PM   #84
JTF
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 285
Alert

Henri is a MacDonald advocate/groupie who has posted on MacDonald case discussion boards for almost a decade. Documented fact does not deter Henri from posting the same debunked claims leveled by the MacDonald camp for the past 42 years.
JTF is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2012, 02:21 AM   #85
JTF
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 285
Serial Fabricator

The main goal of MacDonald's Magical Mystery Tour is to debunk the notion that MacDonald's story has been consistent in the past 42 years. The documented record clearly demonstrates that MacDonald is a serial fabricator. In Fatal Vision, McGinniss correctly points out that MacDonald has a history of adjusting his story to fit the physical evidence found at the crime scene. Allard Lowenstein said it best when he told Freddy Kassab that MacDonald, "will say anything to anybody."
JTF is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2012, 04:02 AM   #86
JTF
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 285
Kiss

This case is frequently described as being overly complex and MacDonald advocates have used this tag to jump all over the map when presenting their arguments for inmate's innocence. The reality is that this case is quite simple. As soon as MacDonald told CID investigators that he took off his pajama top after "finding" Colette on the master bedroom carpet, the ballgame was over. Considering that MacDonald has stated that he doesn't know for sure when the pajama top was torn, let's go with the theory put forth by author/MacDonald advocate Fred Bost that the pajama top was torn as he was removing it from his wrists in the master bedroom. This scenario ends any salient debate about whether MacDonald is guilty of these horrific crimes. Why?

1) Twenty Four pajama fibers were found under Colette's body.

2) One of those fibers was found directly under her head and was protruding from the carpet in pigtail fashion.

3) Twenty Two pajama fibers were found on top of the master bed.

4) Six pajama fibers were found on the master bed pillow.

5) A pajama fiber was found by the headboard of the master bed. The word PIG was written on the headboard in Colette's blood.

6) A bloody pajama fiber was found entwined with a bloody head hair from Colette on a multi-colored bedspread. This bedspread was found bundled with a blue bedsheet near the closet in the master bedroom.

7) A finger section of a surgeon's glove was found in this bundled bedding and it was stained with Colette's blood.

8) Multiple pajama fibers were found on the blue bedsheet.

9) Three bloody pajama cuff impressions sourced to MacDonald's pajama top were found on the blue bedsheet. This bedsheet was used to transport Colette from Kristen's room to the master bedroom.

10) Two bloody pajama cuff impressions sourced to Colette's pajama top were found on the blue bedsheet. This bedsheet was used to transport Colette from Kristen's room to the master bedroom.

11) Fourteen pajama fibers were found under Kimmie's blankets.

12) A 20.5 inch warp yarn sourced to MacDonald's pajama top was found on top of Kimmie's pillow.

13) A pajama fiber was found under Kimmie's pillow.

14) Two pajama fibers were found under Kristen's blankets.

15) A bloody pajama fiber was found embedded under Kristen's fingernail.

16) Four Type A blood stains that continued across a tear on MacDonald's pajama top demonstrated that Colette bled on that pajama top before it was torn.

17) Six Type A blood stains found on the face of the pocket of MacDonald's torn pajama top demonstrated that Colette bled on that pocket before it was torn from the garment.

18) The torn pajama top was found on Colette's chest and subsequent analysis determined that the stab wound pattern in Colette's chest matched the pattern of puncture holes in the pajama top.

In addition, all of the puncture holes in the pajama top were perfectly round indicating that the garment was stationary when pierced with the ice pick. The pathologist who conducted the autopsy on Colette testified that her body was stationary when stabbed with the ice pick.

The only viable conclusion that could be drawn from this data is that MacDonald's torn pajama top was resting on Colette's inert body and that she was stabbed through the pajama top with the ice pick.
JTF is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2012, 04:09 AM   #87
Henri McPhee
Thinker
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 221
I fully appreciate that it's annoying when the guilty go free. It's even more annoying when the innocent are convicted. You are assumed to be guilty in America. There is a dangerous court of public opinion there for an innocent person to have to contend with.

It's a serious matter. The consequences of being put on trial for murder or manslaughter can be financial ruin..

There was a similar sort of case to the MacDonald case in America about ten years ago in the Entwistle case, when Entwistle shot his wife and baby daughter for no reason at all. It's just in that case there were two gunshot wounds which make his explanation of a suicide rather difficult to believe. That's not such a difficult murder to detect.

In the MacDonald case Ivory of the Army CID testified at the Article 32 proceeding in 1970 that there were never any violent arguments between Colette and Dr. MacDonald and that everybody the Army CID spoke to had the highest opinion of Dr. MacDonald.

I think in that Darlie Routier case that the husband did it and he then pinned it on to his wife. He had been involved in insurance fraud and divorce had been discussed. There is an affidavit on the internet from one of the original Routier case forensic experts, Terry Laber, expressing grave doubts about the forensic evidence in the Routier case.
Henri McPhee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2012, 06:24 AM   #88
desertgal
Illuminator
 
desertgal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,091
Originally Posted by Henri McPhee View Post
In the MacDonald case Ivory of the Army CID testified at the Article 32 proceeding in 1970 that there were never any violent arguments between Colette and Dr. MacDonald...
How would Ivory have known that? Was he a witness to their marriage 24/7 from the wedding onward?
desertgal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2012, 10:29 AM   #89
Henri McPhee
Thinker
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 221
Originally Posted by desertgal View Post
How would Ivory have known that? Was he a witness to their marriage 24/7 from the wedding onward?
We are talking about EVIDENCE here. Ivory was unable to come up with a single incident of any violent argument in the MacDonald household. He also attempted to find an incident of a MacDonald temper tantrum, but the best he could come up with was some cock-and- bull story that one of of the little girls was supposed to have told the school bus driver that she wished he was her daddy!

You must be guided by the evidence in these sort of cases and follow the evidence. There were numerous character witnesses at the 1979 as to Dr. MacDonald's character, and to what a brilliant doctor he was. The psychiatrist Dr. Sadoff reported that he was fairly certain Dr. MacDonald didn't do it but the jury were never told about that because Judge Dupree didn't want a battle of the experts.

A court must take into consideration nothing but but the evidence in the case before it, and witnesses other than experts must not be allowed to give their opinions, but must speak only as to facts.

All that stuff about pajama fibers and pajama cuff impressions from JTF proves nothing. For one thing there is no evidence that any pajama fibers found at the crime scene came to be there on the night of the murder. Blackburn in his closing argument made a big deal about a footprint which Dr. MacDonald never denied could be his. It proves nothing.

The Army CID tried to imply that Dr. MacDonald was lying because no pajama fibers were supposed to have been found in the living room, but only where he fell unconscious. Dr. MacDonald never did say that the pajama top was torn in the living room. Glisson of the Army CID lab believed there was blood on the pajama top and pocket after it was torn, and not before, as Stombaugh tried to suggest in order to imply a violent argument.

Stombaugh of the FBI was basically an insurance salesman who somehow ended up in the FBI lab. He was never qualified to render an opinion about fabric impressions in this case. The MacDonald forensic expert, Dr. Thornton, testified that Stombaugh's pajama folding experiment was contrived and impossible and conceptually unsound. It was weak supporting evidence, and full of reasonable doubt..
Henri McPhee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2012, 11:08 AM   #90
Charlie Wilkes
Illuminator
 
Charlie Wilkes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,576
Originally Posted by Henri McPhee View Post
I think in that Darlie Routier case that the husband did it and he then pinned it on to his wife.
Plonk.
Charlie Wilkes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2012, 11:53 AM   #91
Ampulla of Vater
Graduate Poster
 
Ampulla of Vater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: North of the White Line of Toldt
Posts: 1,722
Originally Posted by Henri McPhee View Post
We are talking about EVIDENCE here. Ivory was unable to come up with a single incident of any violent argument in the MacDonald household. He also attempted to find an incident of a MacDonald temper tantrum, but the best he could come up with was some cock-and- bull story that one of of the little girls was supposed to have told the school bus driver that she wished he was her daddy!

You must be guided by the evidence in these sort of cases and follow the evidence. There were numerous character witnesses at the 1979 as to Dr. MacDonald's character, and to what a brilliant doctor he was. The psychiatrist Dr. Sadoff reported that he was fairly certain Dr. MacDonald didn't do it but the jury were never told about that because Judge Dupree didn't want a battle of the experts.

A court must take into consideration nothing but but the evidence in the case before it, and witnesses other than experts must not be allowed to give their opinions, but must speak only as to facts.

All that stuff about pajama fibers and pajama cuff impressions from JTF proves nothing. For one thing there is no evidence that any pajama fibers found at the crime scene came to be there on the night of the murder. Blackburn in his closing argument made a big deal about a footprint which Dr. MacDonald never denied could be his. It proves nothing.

The Army CID tried to imply that Dr. MacDonald was lying because no pajama fibers were supposed to have been found in the living room, but only where he fell unconscious. Dr. MacDonald never did say that the pajama top was torn in the living room. Glisson of the Army CID lab believed there was blood on the pajama top and pocket after it was torn, and not before, as Stombaugh tried to suggest in order to imply a violent argument.

Stombaugh of the FBI was basically an insurance salesman who somehow ended up in the FBI lab. He was never qualified to render an opinion about fabric impressions in this case. The MacDonald forensic expert, Dr. Thornton, testified that Stombaugh's pajama folding experiment was contrived and impossible and conceptually unsound. It was weak supporting evidence, and full of reasonable doubt..
Henri,

The way it works here, on JREF, is you provide official, reliable cites for each of the things you claim. You might want to poke around on the forums and read some of the various threads to see how the debates here work. You can post whatever you want but it will not be taken seriously unless you provide such cites.
Ampulla of Vater is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2012, 01:47 PM   #92
Arisia
Muse
 
Arisia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 605
Originally Posted by Charlie Wilkes View Post
Plonk.
Well, at least Neil Entwistle is still guilty.

(I happen to live in the town where that particular tragedy took place.)
Arisia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2012, 03:50 PM   #93
desertgal
Illuminator
 
desertgal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,091
Originally Posted by Henri McPhee View Post
We are talking about EVIDENCE here. Ivory was unable to come up with a single incident of any violent argument in the MacDonald household.
Well, your statement was that Ivory testified that there were never any violent arguments between Colette and MacDonald, not that he couldn't find any evidence of any. You should be more careful how you state things.

And...so? I've been married several decades. We've had severe disagreements. Just because no one witnessed them beyond ourselves doesn't mean they didn't happen.

As well, the two people most likely to have witnessed something along those lines died with Colette.

Quote:
He also attempted to find an incident of a MacDonald temper tantrum, but the best he could come up with was some cock-and- bull story that one of of the little girls was supposed to have told the school bus driver that she wished he was her daddy!
So...Jeffrey MacDonald was a saint who never, ever lost his temper? Unlikely.

Quote:
You must be guided by the evidence in these sort of cases and follow the evidence.
I have. Fatal Vision provided a fairly sound summation.

Quote:
There were numerous character witnesses at the 1979 as to Dr. MacDonald's character, and to what a brilliant doctor he was.
Being brilliant doesn't exempt him, or anyone, from being capable of murder. Ted Bundy was brilliant. So was Diane Downs.

Quote:
The psychiatrist Dr. Sadoff reported that he was fairly certain Dr. MacDonald didn't do it but the jury were never told about that because Judge Dupree didn't want a battle of the experts.
Was Dr. Sadoff in the house on Castle Drive the night of the killings?

Quote:
A court must take into consideration nothing but but the evidence in the case before it, and witnesses other than experts must not be allowed to give their opinions, but must speak only as to facts.
I see. So if Dr. Sadoff had been allowed to testify that he was fairly certain MacDonald didn't do it, that would've been a fact versus an opinion?

Quote:
All that stuff about pajama fibers and pajama cuff impressions from JTF proves nothing. For one thing there is no evidence that any pajama fibers found at the crime scene came to be there on the night of the murder. Blackburn in his closing argument made a big deal about a footprint which Dr. MacDonald never denied could be his. It proves nothing.
To whom? Seems like it proved something to the jury.

Quote:
The Army CID tried to imply that Dr. MacDonald was lying because no pajama fibers were supposed to have been found in the living room, but only where he fell unconscious. Dr. MacDonald never did say that the pajama top was torn in the living room. Glisson of the Army CID lab believed there was blood on the pajama top and pocket after it was torn, and not before, as Stombaugh tried to suggest in order to imply a violent argument.
Now, in respect to Glisson, you say he "believed". Would that be considered fact or opinion? Remember, "experts must not be allowed to give their opinions".

Quote:
Stombaugh of the FBI was basically an insurance salesman who somehow ended up in the FBI lab. He was never qualified to render an opinion about fabric impressions in this case.
Evidence?

Quote:
The MacDonald forensic expert, Dr. Thornton, testified that Stombaugh's pajama folding experiment was contrived and impossible and conceptually unsound. It was weak supporting evidence, and full of reasonable doubt..
I'm sorry, was that Dr. Thornton's opinion?
desertgal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2012, 05:39 PM   #94
JTF
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 285
Same Old Crap

As I stated in a prior post, Henri has posted his special brand of nonsense for almost a decade. On this thread, he has simply copied and pasted his posts from MacDonald case discussion boards. His postings have not and will not change in content or tone. Henri is a MacDonald advocate and a conspiracy junkie. To Henri, the Government has manufactured their massive case against MacDonald for reasons that only a Ted Gunderson type mindset would understand.

Last edited by JTF; 22nd December 2012 at 05:41 PM.
JTF is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2012, 05:44 PM   #95
JTF
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 285
Link

IMO, the following article is one of the best articles ever written about this case.

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2...-online-review
JTF is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2012, 08:25 PM   #96
desertgal
Illuminator
 
desertgal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,091
Originally Posted by JTF View Post
As I stated in a prior post, Henri has posted his special brand of nonsense for almost a decade. On this thread, he has simply copied and pasted his posts from MacDonald case discussion boards. His postings have not and will not change in content or tone. Henri is a MacDonald advocate and a conspiracy junkie. To Henri, the Government has manufactured their massive case against MacDonald for reasons that only a Ted Gunderson type mindset would understand.
Ah. I missed that earlier post.

In that case, I withdraw from any further discussion with Henri. Joe McGinniss and your own website make a much more compelling case.
desertgal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2012, 08:54 AM   #97
Henri McPhee
Thinker
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 221
Originally Posted by desertgal View Post
How would Ivory have known that? Was he a witness to their marriage 24/7 from the wedding onward?
I agree with you that Dr. MacDonald and Colette might have had little disagreements, as is usual in any marriage, but there were never violent arguments where the police would have been called, and which could lead to murder. There was some story that a neighbor, Kalin, heard an argument because Dr. MacDonald had purchased a TV set.

This matter was discussed at the Article 32 proceeding in 1970 with Army CID agent Shaw:

Q Did they ever have any violent arguments?
A I do not know.
Q There was no indication in your reading of the investigation that there was any particular problem which led to a violent argument or anything?
A Well, they supposedly had arguments, according to neighbors, and sometimes violent arguments, violent in raised voices.
Q Raised voices? When was the last raised-voice argument any neighbor might have heard the MacDonalds having before this night?
A Before that night? I can't give you a specific date.
Q Was it within a week or month or a few months?
A I don't know.
Q With regard to Captain MacDonald's love of his children, was there any indication that you have, other than the alleged statement by a bus driver, that he was anything but a good father and loved his children very deeply?
A On the contrary, everything that I have personally developed or have heard of says that he loved his children very much and was a good provider and was a good father.
Q In general?
A Yes.
Q What possible motive would he have for killing--actually I think Mr. Ivory used Colonel Kriwanek's expression or description of "overkill"--of his two children, brutally beating and stabbing of his two children, what possible motive would he have to do this?
A Of "over killing," or just killing them?
Q Both; killing in that fashion?
A Well, to kill them in that fashion, I would say, and it is an opinion, that there was a deliberate attempt on the part of Captain MacDonald to put more than one killer in the house. In other words, we have four different weapons, which would indicate there were four persons there.
Henri McPhee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2012, 09:16 AM   #98
Henri McPhee
Thinker
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 221
Originally Posted by Ampulla of Vater View Post
Henri,

The way it works here, on JREF, is you provide official, reliable cites for each of the things you claim. You might want to poke around on the forums and read some of the various threads to see how the debates here work. You can post whatever you want but it will not be taken seriously unless you provide such cites.
The point is that under the Federal Rules of Evidence an expert must be a real expert who is qualified to render an opinion in court, and that his scientific methodology must be scientifically good and correct. Stombaugh was never qualified to pontificate about pajama cuff impressions. His testimony should have been thrown out by a competent and just judge in an excellent court, and Stombaugh should have been withdrawn as a witness.

The pajama folding experiment was fabricated evidence by Stombaugh to somehow 'prove' Dr MacDonald had stabbed Colette through his pajama top. It was not scientifically correct. Even the biased Judge Dupree became tetchy when Murtagh suggested in court that the pajama top could be folded in three different ways to fit the holes.

The matter was discussed at the 1979 trial with MacDonald forensic expert Dr Thornton. This is part of it:

BY MR. SEGAL:
Q Can we say in lay person's terms that she did it differently than the way he described the holes?
A Yes.
Q All right. Hereafter, let's use my terms and then see if that will work better. What, if anything else, did you base your opinion on?
A Hole 36 was originally designated by Mr. Stombaugh as inside-out or an exit hole. In Ms. Green's reconstruction, it is designated as outside-in or an entrance hole. Again, just with respect to that one particular discrepancy, I think that it negates the validity of this reconstruction.

MR. MURTAGH: MOVE TO STRIKE that, Your Honor.

THE COURT: OVERRULED. He has testified that the thing was impossible. So, that is just in furtherance of that same answer.
Go ahead.
Isn't that what you say is your opinion?

THE WITNESS: Yes, Your Honor.

BY MR. SEGAL:
Q Any further basis for your opinion in that regard?
A No. I think that is sufficient. With respect to hole number 48, Mr. Stombaugh hasn't designated that as being one way or the other or whether he cannot determine that. So, I can't properly evaluate that particular hole in the pajama top.
But on the basis of the six foregoing discrepancies, I think that this is impossible.
Henri McPhee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2012, 09:21 AM   #99
JTF
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 285
Evidence And Behaviors

Not only did the Government present over 1,100 evidentiary items at trial. Not only did the AFIP's DNA tests of 28 exhibits produce 5 inculpatory test results. Not only was no trace evidence of a known intruder suspect found at the crime scene. Jeffrey MacDonald's behaviors cemented his guilt. One only has to read the transcripts of the 4/6/70 CID interview and/or MacDonald's testimony at the 1974-1975 Grand Jury hearings to see that this guy was/is a sociopath/psychopath. Leave it to a sociopath/psychopath to call their father in-law with a concocted tale of finding and killing a mythical hippie home invader.
JTF is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2012, 09:38 AM   #100
Strawberry
Muse
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 513
Originally Posted by JTF View Post
Not only did the Government present over 1,100 evidentiary items at trial. Not only did the AFIP's DNA tests of 28 exhibits produce 5 inculpatory test results. Not only was no trace evidence of a known intruder suspect found at the crime scene. Jeffrey MacDonald's behaviors cemented his guilt. One only has to read the transcripts of the 4/6/70 CID interview and/or MacDonald's testimony at the 1974-1975 Grand Jury hearings to see that this guy was/is a sociopath/psychopath. Leave it to a sociopath/psychopath to call their father in-law with a concocted tale of finding and killing a mythical hippie home invader.
BBM.

That's interesting too. If he was telling the truth about that - even though I don't believe him - then he's guilty of murder anyway.
Strawberry is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2012, 09:43 AM   #101
Darth Rotor
Salted Sith Cynic
 
Darth Rotor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 36,183
The Innocence project needed about twenty years to overcome some less than brilliant police work.

Morton case.

In a different sort of case, Hannah Overton lost her appeal.
__________________
Helicopters don't so much fly as beat the air into submission.
"Jesus wept, but did He laugh?"--F.H. Buckley____"There is one thing that was too great for God to show us when He walked upon our earth ... His mirth." --Chesterton__"If the barbarian in us is excised, so is our humanity."--D'rok__ "I only use my gun whenever kindness fails."-- Robert Earl Keen__"Sturgeon spares none.". -- The Marquis
Darth Rotor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2012, 10:02 AM   #102
desertgal
Illuminator
 
desertgal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,091
Originally Posted by Henri McPhee View Post
I agree with you that Dr. MacDonald and Colette might have had little disagreements...
I never said that.

Quote:
...as is usual in any marriage, but there were never violent arguments where the police would have been called, and which could lead to murder.
At least, not until that night.
desertgal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2012, 02:35 AM   #103
JTF
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 285
Innocence Project

"The Innocence project needed about twenty years to overcome some less than brilliant police work."

DARTH: If you're implying that there is a tangible comparison or connection between that case and the MacDonald case, you're mistaken. Outside of the JFK assassination, the MacDonald case is the most thoroughly investigated murder case in history. It is unquestionably the most litigated murder case in history. The CID's original investigation had its share of mistakes, but there is no proof that the physical evidence that led to MacDonald's conviction was contaminated or altered in any way.

The CID then embarked on a massive two year reinvestigation (e.g., 1970-1972) which included the FBI analyzing several key evidentiary items. In 1974, the FBI became more involved in this case and their forensic analysis led to MacDonald being indicted by a Grand Jury in 1975.

Barry Scheck is a DNA consultant for MacDonald, but MacDonald is NOT a client of the IP. It is telling that the Innocence Project will not put forth a position on MacDonald's guilt or innocence. It appears that the IP is using the MacDonald case as a way to place more significance on unsourced trace evidence in non-rape cases.
JTF is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2013, 03:25 PM   #104
JTF
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 285
Enjoy

The following article is a nice compliment to the Weingarten article.

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2...-online-review

http://www.cjr.org/critical_eye/wilderness_of...

http://www.macdonaldcasefacts.com
JTF is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2013, 01:43 AM   #105
JTF
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 285
Defense/Government Briefs And Final Vision

The Defense has until the middle of February to file their brief on the September evidentiary hearing. The Government then has 60 days to file a response brief. It appears that Judge Fox will not decide on the merits of the arguments put forth at the hearing until the late Summer/early Fall of this year.

I would also like to give a shout out to Joe McGinniss' follow-up to the iconic FATAL VISION. McGinniss produced a 22,000 word e-book entitled FINAL VISION. It is fantastic and can be purchased on Amazon for 4 dollars.

http://www.macdonaldcasefacts.com
JTF is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2013, 09:53 PM   #106
JTF
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 285
Predictable

Some things never change.

http://www.thejeffreymacdonaldcase.com/downlo...
JTF is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2013, 04:39 AM   #107
Matthew Best
Illuminator
 
Matthew Best's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Leicester Square, London
Posts: 4,755
Originally Posted by JTF View Post
Some things never change.

http://www.thejeffreymacdonaldcase.com/downlo...
Bad link I'm afraid.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2013, 09:48 PM   #108
JTF
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 285
Link

MATT: Here you go.

http://www.thejeffreymacdonaldcase.c...e%20motion.pdf
JTF is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2013, 10:02 PM   #109
KatieG
Master Poster
 
KatieG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: at the end of the Oregon Trail
Posts: 2,689
He's still guilty, IMO!
__________________
“In my dreams I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.” ~~ Louise Brooks

When Aphrodite lies around naked in a giant clam shell she's a "goddess" but when I do it I'm "drunk" and "not welcome at this aquarium anymore, ma'am."
KatieG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2013, 02:03 AM   #110
JTF
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 285
Agreed

KATIE: I agree. MacDonald is not simply guilty beyond a reasonable doubt, he is guilty beyond ALL doubt. The prosecution presented over 1,000 evidentiary items at the 1979 trial and that was only about 60 percent of their case file. This included blood, hair, fiber, bloody footprints, and bloody fabric/non-fabric impression evidence. The government also destroyed the defense at the September evidentiary hearing, so it is no surprise that the defense is asking for a 2nd delay in filing their brief on the hearing.

http://www.macdonaldcasefacts.com
JTF is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2013, 04:10 AM   #111
desertgal
Illuminator
 
desertgal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,091
Originally Posted by JTF View Post
I would also like to give a shout out to Joe McGinniss' follow-up to the iconic FATAL VISION. McGinniss produced a 22,000 word e-book entitled FINAL VISION. It is fantastic and can be purchased on Amazon for 4 dollars.
Read it. ($2.99 now.) Well done rebuttals to MacDonald' s legal maneuverings, his claims about McGinniss & Fatal Vision, & Errol Morris' book. Excellent addendum to Fatal Vision. Highly recommend it.

Astonishing, the revelations about Segal' s lies to Judge Dupree regarding Helena Stoeckley during the sidebar discussions. It was a little disappointing, too, that the highly respected Wade Smith failed to step up & call Segal on it. Understandable, but still disappointing.

Last edited by desertgal; 4th March 2013 at 04:12 AM.
desertgal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2013, 01:38 PM   #112
JTF
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 285
Cold-Blooded Killer

In the past several days, I've been perusing through the September hearing transcripts and an interesting piece of information caught my eye. During his closing arguments, government attorney Brian Murtagh stated that the limb hair sourced to Jeffrey MacDonald found clutched in his wife's left hand had debris adhering to it. This included an unspecified fiber, blood, and "unknown" material. In addition, Murtagh stated that the hair was inculpatory due to the FACT that it was broken at one end and the broken end was bloody. Murtagh proved beyond ALL doubt that the only hairs found at 544 Castle Drive that were forcibly removed belonged to members of the MacDonald family.

http://www.macdonaldcasefacts.com
JTF is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2013, 04:37 PM   #113
JTF
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 285
A Legal Beating In 60 Days

The defense FINALLY filed their brief on the September hearings. If Gordie knew how to copy and paste, he wouldn't have needed to ask for any delays. This bloated brief is simply a combination of three things...

1) Bernie Segal's final brief prior to the 1984-1985 appellate hearings before Judge Dupree.

2) Harvey Silverglate's final brief prior to the 1990/1992 appellate hearings before Judge Dupree/4th Circuit Court.

3) The content of Gordie's closing arguments at the 2012 evidentiary hearing before Judge Fox.

The government destroyed the evidentiary arguments presented by the defense in 1984, 1985, 1990, and 1992. In essence, the government also destroyed the 2012 defense presentation during their closing arguments at the hearing, so they now merely have to put that on paper. The government's May response brief will be a clinic on how one dissects a brief filled with distortions, half-truths, hype, innuendo, and falsehoods. Inmate and his rotating band of lawyers gave it their best shot, but as they would say in Boston, it's OVA.

http://www.macdonaldcasefacts.com
JTF is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2013, 06:26 PM   #114
JTF
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 285
Perfect Strategy

In re-reading some of the testimony put forth by Butch Madden and William Ivory, I noticed that the government focused on links between past and recent events in this case. For example, on direct, Leslie Cooley questioned William Ivory about the polygraph examination of Greg Mitchell. Once Ivory stated that Mitchell passed the polygraph exam, Cooley asked Ivory whether he was aware of the fact that Mitchell's DNA was not found at the crime scene.

Ivory acknowledged that he was aware of the AFIP's DNA test results which excluded Mitchell as a source for hairs found at the crime scene. The government used a similar strategy on Blackburn's alleged threat to Stoeckley by consistently getting affirmations from Madden that Stoeckley NEVER mentioned this alleged threat to him or anyone else he interviewed. Big thumbs up to Brian, John, and Leslie for a job well done.

http://www.macdonaldcasefacts.com
JTF is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2013, 08:49 PM   #115
JTF
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 285
Jeffrey MacDonald Is Guilty Beyond All Doubt

The government asked for a 30 day delay in filing their post-hearing response memo. Their unopposed request was granted by Judge Fox. Considering that the defense asked for THREE delays in filing their memo, the decision was a no-brainer for Judge Fox. The government's rationale for the delay was three-fold.

1) The defense memo was over 120 pages long, so the government wanted enough time to debunk ALL of their dubious claims.

2) The complexity of the "evidence as a whole" ruling by the 4th Circuit Court in 2011.

3) The government wants to include the evidence they presented at the 1979 trial in their memo. Judge Fox admitted at the hearing that he is not well read on the evidence presented at the trial, so the government is going to go over that evidence in their response memo.

IMO, it was sound strategy by the government to give Judge Fox a heads-up on the fact that a portion of their response memo will go over the evidence presented at the 1979 trial. In essence, the government is stating, "You want evidence as a whole, we'll give you evidence as a whole." The government's post-hearing brief is due on 7/1/13.

http://www.macdonaldcasefacts.com
JTF is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2013, 11:31 PM   #116
KatieG
Master Poster
 
KatieG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: at the end of the Oregon Trail
Posts: 2,689
Really, this is no surprise to those of us who've been paying attention all these years. He killed his wife and 2 young daughters in a horrible brutal fashion. Hope he rots in prison, which is what it appears will happen.
__________________
“In my dreams I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.” ~~ Louise Brooks

When Aphrodite lies around naked in a giant clam shell she's a "goddess" but when I do it I'm "drunk" and "not welcome at this aquarium anymore, ma'am."
KatieG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2013, 12:01 AM   #117
Aepervius
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 9,679
Reading the wiki on evidence found , it seems straightforward.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2013, 02:31 AM   #118
catsmate1
Penultimate Amazing
 
catsmate1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 11,787
Nitpick: I don't see his guilt as being proven beyond any doubt just beyond and reasonable or probable doubt.
There are many unreasonable scenarios that could explain MacDonald's family's deaths without him being responsible, aliens, time travellers, doppelgangers, parallel universe. It's just that none of them are even remotely reasonable and can be ignored.
catsmate1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2013, 02:53 PM   #119
JTF
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 285
Truth And Justice

"There are many unreasonable scenarios that could explain MacDonald's family's deaths without him being responsible, aliens, time travellers, doppelgangers, parallel universe. It's just that none of them are even remotely reasonable and can be ignored."

CATSMATE: I'm surprised that MacDonald's rotating band of lawyers hasn't labeled any of the mythical hippie home invaders as aliens, time travellers, or doppelgangers. MacDonald and his legal minions have certainly tried everything else.

Despite 1,100 evidentiary items being presented by the prosecution at trial and MacDonald being convicted in less than 7 hours, this case won't go away. It is the most litigated murder case in history. The Errol Morris' of the world do their best to turn an open and shut case into a conspiracy involving the Army, FBI, and DOJ.

As Joe McGinniss once said, "Fact is fact, and when it cuts this deep, it cannot be overcome by hype." MacDonald has had 8 bites of the legal apple, but it appears that his time is running out. He has spent 32 of the past 34 years in prison, and if the truth and the appellate courts can co-exist, MacDonald will remain in his cell at Cumberland until he is worm food.

http://www.macdonaldcasefacts.com
JTF is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2013, 03:35 PM   #120
Weak Kitten
Graduate Poster
 
Weak Kitten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,909
On the other hand just think of all the legal presidents and refinements that came out of this case. I'm sure it will be quite useful as a teaching tool for future lawyers and judges.
__________________
A quick reminder to all participants that although incomprehensibility is not against the Membership Agreement, incivility is. Please try and remember this, and keep your exchanges polite and respectful. -arthwollipot
Weak Kitten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:17 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.