ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Connecticut incidents , gun issues , Sandy Hook , school incidents , school shootings , shooting incidents

Old 14th December 2012, 12:16 PM   #81
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by GeeMack View Post
Looks like they've found one of the shooter's parents, apparently murdered in their home in New Jersey this morning.
I wonder who did it?

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 12:17 PM   #82
GeeMack
Banned

Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
This is the dumbest thing any gun owner ever said. Of course guns kill people. That there are many ways of killing people does not negate the fact that guns are created for one purpose and one purpose only: TO KILL.

You should take that nonsense over to one of the gun control threads where it can be properly addressed. It's simply not true, a dishonest attempt to poison the well. This isn't the proper thread to be spreading your manure.
GeeMack is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 12:17 PM   #83
Agatha
Winking at the Moon

The school's local paper has an editorial which ends
Originally Posted by Hartford Courant
Americans may argue about whether their country is dominated by a pro-gun culture. But this much is certain, attested to by the Newtown school shooting: It is far too easy in America for a sick mind to find a gun and use it.
Whatever a person's stand on guns and gun control, I think (and hope) that few would argue with the last sentence.

Currently it's reported that 27 are dead, 18 of them children. An entire class unaccounted for. It's so terribly sad.
Old 14th December 2012, 12:18 PM   #84
MikeG
Philosopher

The BBC and Channel 4 here are saying there was just one gunman. Are you hearing something different over there? They are also saying 26 dead.

Mike
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 12:18 PM   #85
bonzombiekitty
Muse

Originally Posted by IDB87 View Post
There is a reason why guns are used over any other instrument. The sooner we drop this "Well they could have used ANYTHING" argument, the sooner we can have an actual discussion.
As I've said elsewhere; Guns don't kill people. People kill people. Guns just make it a hell of a lot easier.
bonzombiekitty is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 12:20 PM   #86
Verklagekasper
Critical Thinker

Horrible, horrible. My sympathy for the families.
Verklagekasper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 12:21 PM   #87
bonzombiekitty
Muse

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
The BBC and Channel 4 here are saying there was just one gunman. Are you hearing something different over there? They are also saying 26 dead.

Mike
The police took someone into custody. At first the news was reporting that person as a second shooter, but then changed it to saying the police detained someone and was investigating whether he was involved in the shooting or just happened to be walking into the school at the time.

The news feed I am listening to hasn't said anything else about this person, so I assume it was just someone who happened to be there.
bonzombiekitty is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 12:22 PM   #88
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Good list to peruse for some perspective.

My heart goes out to the victims and their families.
LSSBB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 12:23 PM   #89
AdMan
Philosopher

Looks like they've found one of the shooter's parents, apparently murdered in their home in New Jersey this morning.

What's the source?
Old 14th December 2012, 12:25 PM   #90
332nd
Penultimate Amazing

Reports of 30 dead now.

ETA: & they think they've found his Facebook page.
Old 14th December 2012, 12:27 PM   #91
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Redtail View Post
Reports of 30 dead now.

ETA: & they think they've found his Facebook page.
I did too. Ryan Lanza. I guess it's too late to send a friend request.

He's like the 3rd one down if you search that name. Says his hometown is Newtown CT.

The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 12:28 PM   #92
Stacko
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
Good list to peruse for some perspective.

My heart goes out to the victims and their families.
The CBC has compiled a similar list.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2...shootings.html
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 12:29 PM   #93
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by Mister Earl View Post
I still can't believe it. What the heck...

Someone take the game out of the universal console and scrub the back of the disc with a brillo pad.

NOBODY WANTS TO PLAY EVER AGAIN.
Just wish that was correct*. There are crazies with us.

*For most of us it is - and if only we could i d the crazies early

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 12:29 PM   #94
Agatha
Winking at the Moon

Originally Posted by AdMan View Post
What's the source?
The BBC says this is based on a CBS report.
Old 14th December 2012, 12:31 PM   #95
Quad4_72
AI-EE-YAH!

I just don't know the answer to this type of tragedy. Do you ban guns completely, and punish the 50 million or so responsible gun owners out there because of the horrific actions of a few people? Do you make guns much harder to obtain because .01% of the gun population does the wrong thing? I don't think any of those things is the right answer, but I am not sure what is.
Looks like the one on top has a magazine, thus needs less reloading. Also, the muzzle shroud makes it less likely for a spree killer to burn his hands. The pistol grip makes it more comfortable for the spree killer to shoot. thaiboxerken
Quad4_72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 12:34 PM   #96
JoeTheJuggler
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeTheJuggler View Post
Quote:
They haven't given any details about the shooter other than that he or she is dead;
I haven't heard, but I'd be willing to bet money the shooter had a Y chromosome.
Originally Posted by The Central Scrutinizer View Post
Ryan Lanza.
Not a big surprise on the sex of the shooter anyway.
Old 14th December 2012, 12:34 PM   #97
332nd
Penultimate Amazing

He's like the 3rd one down if you search that name. Says his hometown is Newtown CT.
Most likely it's him, but since I share my name with a guy my age, from my home town, I can't help but feel bad for him on the off chance it's a coincidence.
Old 14th December 2012, 12:35 PM   #98
GeeMack
Banned

Now it's being reported that the shooter's mother was an employee at the school.

ETA: Apparently the shooter's mother was shot at the school.

Last edited by GeeMack; 14th December 2012 at 12:38 PM.
GeeMack is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 12:35 PM   #99
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

On the other hand, a nice "Burn in Hell forever you dog*******mother raping piece of fecal matter" would be quite appropriate.

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 12:35 PM   #100
Biscuit
Philosopher

You should take that nonsense over to one of the gun control threads where it can be properly addressed. It's simply not true, a dishonest attempt to poison the well. This isn't the proper thread to be spreading your manure.
We can't talk here? What other purpose are guns designed for?

Remember I am not some pacifist hippie but an armed citizen that enjoys his guns. I don't have any problem with people owning guns, I have a problem with gun owners that try and deny the purpose, power, and capability of their fire arms.

ETA: You want to talk about poisoning the well you can thank the gun lobby for that.

Last edited by Biscuit; 14th December 2012 at 12:39 PM.
Biscuit is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 12:36 PM   #101
AdMan
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Agatha View Post
The BBC says this is based on a CBS report.

Thanks.
Old 14th December 2012, 12:37 PM   #102
bonzombiekitty
Muse

oh geez. He killed his mom in her classroom. Her kindergarten classroom. That implies most of the kids that got killed were kindergarteners.
Old 14th December 2012, 12:38 PM   #103
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Quad4_72 View Post
I just don't know the answer to this type of tragedy. Do you ban guns completely, and punish the 50 million or so responsible gun owners out there because of the horrific actions of a few people? Do you make guns much harder to obtain because .01% of the gun population does the wrong thing? I don't think any of those things is the right answer, but I am not sure what is.
Same here.

Old 14th December 2012, 12:38 PM   #104
Biscuit
Philosopher

You start by having an actual honest discussion about what it means to live a an armed society. Talk about the realities and responsibilities that the 2nd amendment creates.
Old 14th December 2012, 12:39 PM   #105
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bonzombiekitty View Post
oh geez. He killed his mom in her classroom. Her kindergarten classroom. That implies most of the kids that got killed were kindergarteners.
I thought the mom was found dead at home?

Old 14th December 2012, 12:40 PM   #106
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Holy . Too bad the bastard is unavailable for the good old "hanged, drawn, and quartered" routine.
Old 14th December 2012, 12:41 PM   #107
deadrose
Graduate Poster

No, the father was found dead at the home.
deadrose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 12:41 PM   #108
bonzombiekitty
Muse

That was his dad.
Old 14th December 2012, 12:41 PM   #109
JoeTheJuggler
Penultimate Amazing

I don't think anyone believes we should ban all guns. As for banning some types of guns or making guns significantly harder to get because .01% of the gun population (how is the "gun population" defined, and where did you come up with that statistic?) does the wrong thing, I think yes, we do.

It's the same reason we ban individual ownership of other very dangerous arms (chemical, biological and nuclear weapons): because public safety interests outweigh the individual right.

I think equating the gun debate with incidents like this is wrong though. If you're saying we shouldn't pass laws only with an eye to making incidents like this one impossible, I agree. That would be like making driving laws and enforcement such that no fatal motor vehicle accidents happen.

Actually it would be worse than that because it would ignore that the single biggest category of gun deaths are suicides. (Annually, just over 50% of gun-deaths in the U.S. are suicides. A fairly small percentage of them are accidents, and the remaining 40-something percent are homicides--or rather non-suicide homicides.)

Incidents like this are pretty far outside the norm of the high gun-death problem our country faces.
Old 14th December 2012, 12:43 PM   #110
deadrose
Graduate Poster

Apparently police are now checking other locations for possible additional victims.
deadrose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 12:45 PM   #111
JoeTheJuggler
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
Holy . Too bad the bastard is unavailable for the good old "hanged, drawn, and quartered" routine.
Why?

This kind of violence isn't likely to decrease due to deterrence. And I think there's credible evidence that the more state-sanctioned violence there is, the more violent crime you get.

Lust for revenge will have to go unrequited, as it should.
Old 14th December 2012, 12:46 PM   #112
SumDood
Muse

Yeah, can we start posting links to breaking info?
Old 14th December 2012, 12:46 PM   #113
Caper
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Well that was actually what I was hoping to ironically highlight at the time. Now I think that is overshadowed by events. See below.

When I started this thread they were reporting that only the shooter was dead, likely at the hands of police. My biggest indignation at the time was really the statement that elementary schools don't have bullying.

I go, rake leaves out of the gutter then come back to watch what is up and see maybe twenty kids are dead. And this is a K-4 school.

Now I'm ashamed at starting this all off the way I did.

Granted we will have to deal with the social situation questions one day. We need to be able to have an adult sit down and talk about where we really want our society to lead. Do we really want to keep tolerating these tragedies in order to protect what might be an outmoded concept of individual rights? Can we consider massacres like this a tragedy of the commons only properly addressed by giving up some of those rights?

One day we will have to really and earnestly tackle those questions. We can't avoid them forever. For the moment we have innocent lives to mourn and children to bury.

Your first post wasn't good. This post was VERY good.
Caper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 12:48 PM   #114
deadrose
Graduate Poster

I'm getting my info from the live reuters feed here: http://live.reuters.com/Event/Newtown_School_Shooting
Old 14th December 2012, 12:51 PM   #115
GeeMack
Banned

Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
We can't talk here? What other purpose are guns designed for?

Really? You'd ask that and claim to be a gun owner? Pardon me while I compose myself...

Now how about you take it to a gun control thread.
Old 14th December 2012, 12:52 PM   #116
Ian
Thinker

Unfathomable. Are people born with that kind of evil, or is it something they learned through their upbringing? I have an elementary school aged child, and I can't even imagine...
No one is born with that. A person must undergo a process to become a violent criminal, and each individual who does so has chosen to be a violent criminal. Lonnie Athens is a good resource on this topic.
Ian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 12:53 PM   #117
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by deadrose View Post
No, the father was found dead at the home.
That was his dad.
OK, I think I'm starting to figure this thing out. The mom killed the dad, then the son went to seek revenge?

Old 14th December 2012, 12:55 PM   #118
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Guns don't kill people; people kill people.
Guns just make it so much easier.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 12:56 PM   #119
Cain
Straussian

It puzzles me why anyone would read story after story on this or watch continuous updates on the news. A bunch of kids were slaughtered. Some deranged ******* did it. Why invite that kind of darkness into your heart?

The Central Scrutinizer
Quote:
I guess it's too late to send a friend request.
More posts like this.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 12:57 PM   #120
Lowpro
Philosopher

OK, I think I'm starting to figure this thing out. The mom killed the dad, then the son went to seek revenge?
I'm guessing the kids made the mom do it too...

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events