ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
 

Notices


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Connecticut incidents , gun issues , Sandy Hook , school incidents , school shootings , shooting incidents

Reply
Old 14th December 2012, 02:17 PM   #241
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing
 
LTC8K6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Directly under a deadly chemtrail
Posts: 15,685
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Partly and partly misplaced idealism

One thing to remember:When somebody wants to take away your freedom, they always have Good Sounding Reasons for doing so.

I am not against some reasonable limits on gun ownership:Througough Background check;60 day waiting period, limits on how much ammo you can buy at a time. I even don't see the need to won an assault rifle.
But Total Bans..or restrictions so strict they amount to a de facto Ban..I am totally opposed to and will fight by any means necessary.
There's no difference between an "assault rifle" and any other semi-auto removable-magazine fed weapon, in terms of usefulness to massacre people...
__________________
What a fool believes, no wise man has the power to reason away. What seems to be, is always better than nothing.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 02:18 PM   #242
LashL
Goddess of Legaltainment™
Administrator
 
LashL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 33,640
Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
Even money says it's his brother updating his facebook page, not him.

That's possible, of course, which is why I wrote, "if he's alive and updating his Facebook page". It's just as possible that it is the other way around.

The larger point, however, is that I think it is kind of irresponsible to be plastering someone's face all over the place before there is any real confirmation of identity.
LashL is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 02:20 PM   #243
scarlettinlondon
Critical Thinker
 
scarlettinlondon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 399
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Colonials.....thanks of confirming what I suspected you think of Americans anyway.
Makes me very glad we kicked out the Brits in 1781....
You did indeed. Well done. Just what we would have done in your position.

Now we are not charging all over your country and annoying you, you don't really need the guns anymore.
scarlettinlondon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 02:22 PM   #244
Ben Adams
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 692
No guns and now only the criminals have them.....

Because they of course dont care about the laws.

All of this is just bicker anyway, because washington DC can outlaw guns all they want to on paper, it wont matter. If you think this incident is something, try and take away Americas guns and see what happens...
Ben Adams is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 02:24 PM   #245
Polaris
Philosopher
 
Polaris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 8,607
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Partly and partly misplaced idealism

One thing to remember:When somebody wants to take away your freedom, they always have Good Sounding Reasons for doing so.

I am not against some reasonable limits on gun ownership:Througough Background check;60 day waiting period, limits on how much ammo you can buy at a time. I even don't see the need to won an assault rifle.
But Total Bans..or restrictions so strict they amount to a de facto Ban..I am totally opposed to and will fight by any means necessary.
I do think now would be the time to begin a serious debate. I have no problem with that. Blanket bans, no. Bad idea, patently unfair to law-abiding owners, and ineffective to start with (if your goal is to prevent shootings).

I'm a gun owner. On paper I don't think there should be any gun control. Zero. None. You should be able to buy a Minigun over the counter. But this is reality. Not everybody is responsible or mentally capable of handling so much as a Brown Bess musket. There are insane people, and the mental health system in the US blows.

I do have a sinking feeling that a sequel to the useless "Assault Weapons" Ban is on the horizon. It will serve the same purpose as the 1994 one: to make it look like politicians care enough to do something without actually addressing the larger issues.

I'd be able to deal with a situation where those kinds of weapons (including the one I own) are locked in a safe at a range where they can be used for punching paper targets.

I'm hoping Obama uses this to address the mental health issue. I don't think he will, unfortunately. I think responsible gun owners are going to take it on the chin, same as 18 years ago.
__________________
"There's vastly more truth to be found in rocks than in holy books. Rocks are far superior, in fact, because you can DEMONSTRATE the truth found in rocks. Plus, they're pretty. Holy books are just heavy." - Dinwar

"Let your ears hear this beautiful song that's hiding underneath the sound," Ed Kowalczyk.
Polaris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 02:25 PM   #246
Ian
Thinker
 
Ian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 245
Phil Plait has weighed in:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astro...bility_to.html
Ian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 02:26 PM   #247
varwoche
Philosopher
 
varwoche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 7,654
Originally Posted by Sabretooth View Post
Huh?

Well, let's see. What else should I give up? Cars kill, so those should go. Knives. Tobacco. Alcohol. Baseball Bats. Hockey Sticks. Skateboards. Bricks....

C'mon. That argument is silly at best. Why not propose we all just live in isolated padded rooms so no one hurts each other?

Based on the known info at this point, it's easy to imagine a scenario where a large knife (or two) would help this lunatic do exactly what he did today.

I mean, FFS, this guy attacked a classroom full of helpless children! Whether he had a knife, gun, or bare fists, this event is a tragedy in every sense.
It's these patently ridiculous false equivalencies you recite that impress me as "silly at best".

I'm in favor of strict gun control by the way.
__________________
To survive election season on a skeptics forum, one must understand Hymie-the-Robot (and/or Fat Jack)
varwoche is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 02:26 PM   #248
Polaris
Philosopher
 
Polaris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 8,607
Originally Posted by LashL View Post
That's possible, of course, which is why I wrote, "if he's alive and updating his Facebook page". It's just as possible that it is the other way around.

The larger point, however, is that I think it is kind of irresponsible to be plastering someone's face all over the place before there is any real confirmation of identity.
Expect the news media to be responsible?!
__________________
"There's vastly more truth to be found in rocks than in holy books. Rocks are far superior, in fact, because you can DEMONSTRATE the truth found in rocks. Plus, they're pretty. Holy books are just heavy." - Dinwar

"Let your ears hear this beautiful song that's hiding underneath the sound," Ed Kowalczyk.
Polaris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 02:29 PM   #249
leftysergeant
Penultimate Amazing
 
leftysergeant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 18,873
Originally Posted by scarlettinlondon View Post
You did indeed. Well done. Just what we would have done in your position.

Now we are not charging all over your country and annoying you, you don't really need the guns anymore.
Just making sure you don't come back.
__________________
No civilization ever collapsed because the poor had too much to eat.
leftysergeant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 02:29 PM   #250
Ian
Thinker
 
Ian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 245
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I just cannot understand

A.The idea that because a few people misuse something that something should be taken away for everybody.

B.The whole mentality where people seem endlessly ready to give up individual liberty because of some utopian social ideal.
Agreed, dudalb. And we are likely to see pundits in histrionics that will result in nothing. People need to be more knowledgeable about the guns themselves before we can have a constructive discussion about how to reduce the odds of this sort of tragic event in the future.
Ian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 02:29 PM   #251
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing
 
LTC8K6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Directly under a deadly chemtrail
Posts: 15,685
Originally Posted by scarlettinlondon View Post
This argument is because you are pro gun rights. My argument is because I am anti gun rights. We both believe ourselves to be right. You will not convince me that citizens should have the right to bear arms. I probably won't convince you paricularly in view of your finding my argument silly at best.

I have looked at your argument. I think you are right. Removing all guns will not stop all murders.
It might reduce them and it will likely reduce the
mass murders like this.

What I don't understand is why you are not willing to try the gun free experiment seeing as you can see from other countries positions that we have some success. You have nothing to lose other than your right as a civilian to carry a gun. If you think that this right is more important than tryng to reduce these tragedies then I will not be able to convince you to try it.

And I am sorry for my failure as I think you would like it when you got used to it. I like it. And we are not so very different as countries.
I already own guns, including semi-auto pistols and rifle.

What reason will you use to justify taking them from me?
__________________
What a fool believes, no wise man has the power to reason away. What seems to be, is always better than nothing.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 02:33 PM   #252
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 26,051
Here come the Conspiracy Loons:

http://dprogram.net/2012/12/14/newto...econd-shooter/
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 02:34 PM   #253
Delscottio
Muse
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 810
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
While I agree with a lot of the article this puzzles me.

"And since then, we’ve experimented. We—the American people—expanded voting rights to women, to blacks, to everyone over the age of 18".

Was the US the first to do these? It's hardly a huge experiment if there is data that the world didn't cave in when other societies granted these rights prior.
Delscottio is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 02:35 PM   #254
scarlettinlondon
Critical Thinker
 
scarlettinlondon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 399
Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
I already own guns, including semi-auto pistols and rifle.

What reason will you use to justify taking them from me?

I don't want to take them away from you.
I want you to give them up yourselves because you can see that you don't need them in a modern civilised country.
scarlettinlondon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 02:37 PM   #255
Sabretooth
No Ordinary Rabbit
 
Sabretooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 6,639
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Partly and partly misplaced idealism

One thing to remember:When somebody wants to take away your freedom, they always have Good Sounding Reasons for doing so.

I am not against some reasonable limits on gun ownership:Througough Background check;60 day waiting period, limits on how much ammo you can buy at a time. I even don't see the need to won an assault rifle.
But Total Bans..or restrictions so strict they amount to a de facto Ban..I am totally opposed to and will fight by any means necessary.
In New York, we have all that. Extensive background check. Long processing time (depending on county...as little as 6 weeks, but several take up to 13 months to just complete your application). Mandatory gun safety and handling class. Every gun you purchase is documented to your permit. In many cases, it's not even legal to carry your gun in public, you may only transport to/from the range or hunting grounds.

Every State should make sure that the person requesting to possess a handgun/rifle has the qualifications to do so. I don't have a problem with that.

Thing is...no government run/sponsored program works perfectly. There are going to be mistakes. Same as with giving an 85 year old legally blind man a license to drive.

Banning guns altogether is just a silly argument...
__________________
--------------------------------------
Stop asking me about that stupid fruity cereal...that's the OTHER rabbit!

Sabretooth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 02:40 PM   #256
Polaris
Philosopher
 
Polaris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 8,607
Originally Posted by scarlettinlondon View Post
I don't want to take them away from you.
I want you to give them up yourselves because you can see that you don't need them in a modern civilised country.
And we don't want to give them up ourselves because we, as a modern civilized society, have decided we want them.
__________________
"There's vastly more truth to be found in rocks than in holy books. Rocks are far superior, in fact, because you can DEMONSTRATE the truth found in rocks. Plus, they're pretty. Holy books are just heavy." - Dinwar

"Let your ears hear this beautiful song that's hiding underneath the sound," Ed Kowalczyk.
Polaris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 02:40 PM   #257
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing
 
thaiboxerken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 23,597
Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
I wasn't going to go there, but since you did...

Knives are already illegal in schools...China has recently cracked down on security in schools.
If the kids in China all had knives, this would never have happen
__________________
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 02:42 PM   #258
scarlettinlondon
Critical Thinker
 
scarlettinlondon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 399
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
And we don't want to give them up ourselves because we, as a modern civilized society, have decided we want them.
I know. That's why you keep getting these school shootings.

it's your right. It's just not rational
scarlettinlondon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 02:45 PM   #259
scarlettinlondon
Critical Thinker
 
scarlettinlondon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 399
Originally Posted by Sabretooth View Post



Banning guns altogether is just a silly argument...

I can see that you don't LIKE it. I don't see why it's silly. You might not like the idea of giving up your rights. It can't really be silly to have a country where civilians don't carry\own guns. Boring perhaps. Safe and dull possibly. Not silly though.
scarlettinlondon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 02:46 PM   #260
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles
 
TragicMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Monkey
Posts: 33,259
Originally Posted by scarlettinlondon View Post
I don't want to take them away from you.
I want you to give them up yourselves because you can see that you don't need them in a modern civilised country.
You do realize that not everybody lives in safe neighborhoods, right? There are parts of my city I wouldn't live in unless I owned a gun. Heck, there are parts of it I wouldn't go through unarmed, in broad daylight.
__________________
One cannot expect wisdom to flow from a pumpkin.
TragicMonkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 02:47 PM   #261
Agatha
Winking at the Moon
 
Agatha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 5,706
This opportunistic idiot (I'd call him other names, but they'd be auto-censored out) thinks he has the answer to school shootings: Blame the separation of church and state
__________________
People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... timey wimey... stuff.
Agatha is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 02:47 PM   #262
Sabretooth
No Ordinary Rabbit
 
Sabretooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 6,639
Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
It's these patently ridiculous false equivalencies you recite that impress me as "silly at best".

I'm in favor of strict gun control by the way.
I have no problem with strict gun laws. That makes it even less likely that I will ever have to use mine to defend myself.

However, with the "false equivalencies" label, I think you've missed the point.

The comment was made, more or less, as "guns kill people - so give up your guns".

So I gave examples of other readily available items that "kill people". Are we prepared to give up everything that kills? No we're not. So to make such an opinionated statement such as above is silly, and I responded in kind with equally silly remarks.
__________________
--------------------------------------
Stop asking me about that stupid fruity cereal...that's the OTHER rabbit!

Sabretooth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 02:47 PM   #263
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing
 
thaiboxerken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 23,597
Originally Posted by Ben Adams View Post
If I had a dime for every person in America that got pissed enough at someone over the last month to want to kill them, I would be a rich man.

And a homeless one for every person that actually did it.

You people think so much of yourself and the sanctity of the human experience.

Oh 25 people oh no it's a tragedy lets take everybody guns THAT will fix it!

Too bad you cant fix the 10,000,000 people in Africa who are dead from aids because the pope doesn't like condoms....

Get a grip on yourselves, Jesus Christ.........
It aint the end of the world YET..............

You people should be PROUD that so many people own guns in this country and we STILL only have THIS FEW of incidents like this.
What's the gun crime rate in the UK?
__________________
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 02:48 PM   #264
Sabretooth
No Ordinary Rabbit
 
Sabretooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 6,639
Originally Posted by scarlettinlondon View Post
I don't want to take them away from you.
I want you to give them up yourselves because you can see that you don't need them in a modern civilised country.
Apparently, you've never been to the east side of Buffalo...
__________________
--------------------------------------
Stop asking me about that stupid fruity cereal...that's the OTHER rabbit!

Sabretooth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 02:48 PM   #265
grunion
Philosopher
 
grunion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 7,018
News 8 Connecticut is reporting a Security Policy that went into effect at Sandy Hook Elementary at the beginning of this school year, with the following letter having gone out to parents from the principal, Mrs. Hochsprung (reportedly a victim of the shooting):
Quote:
Dear Members of our Sandy Hook Family,
Our district will be implementing a security system in all elementary schools as part of our ongoing efforts to ensure student safety. As usual, exterior doors will be locked during the day. Every visitor will be required to ring the doorbell at the front entrance and the office staff will use a visual monitoring system to allow entry. Visitors will still be required to report directly to the office and sign in. If our office staff does not recognize you, you will be required to show identification with a picture id. Please understand that with nearly 700 students and over 1000 parents representing 500 SHS families, most parents will be asked to show identification.
Doors will be locked at approximately 9:30 a.m. Any student arriving after that time must be walked into the building and signed in at the office. Before that time our regular drop-off procedures will be in place. I encourage all parents to have their children come to school and return home on the bus and to remain in school for the entire school day. The beginning and ending of our school day are also important instructional times and therefore we want all our students to reap the benefits of full participation in our program.
We need your help and cooperation for our system to work effectively. Our office staff is handling multiple tasks. Though they will work diligently to help you into the building as quickly as possible, there may be a short delay until someone can view you on the handset and allow you to come in electronically. There are times during the day when office personnel are on the telephone, addressing student concerns, or in the copy room; there are other times when only one person is in the front office. Please help our staff by identifying yourself and provide your child’s name. Keep in mind we will be following our district guidelines which may need revision once we test the system.
Please know your involvement continues to be critical to our school’s effectiveness and your child’s success. We continue to encourage and value your presence in our classrooms and are counting on your cooperation with the implementation of this safety initiative.
Sincerely,
Mrs. Hochsprung
It does look like a reasonable security policy to me, and one which showed foresight in assessing potential threats to the school; one wonders if it was indeed implemented and enforced today. Perhaps the alleged fact that the shooter was a parent of one of the students (and thus presumably could display the proper credentials to get himself in the building) rendered this security protocol ineffective in this case.

Regardless, I think it underlines how powerless we are over increasingly random violence. We prepare, and make regulations that impinge on our convenience and freedom, but horror still manages to happen. On planes, in the workplace, and now in the most innocent of environments, elementary school. I don't know if gun control is the absolute answer - if there were much tighter restrictions on gun ownership and distribution I think the number of these incidents would undoubtedly drop. But there are just so many guns already distributed throughout the population that I think it would take a generation or two before the effects of new restrictions were felt. I don't know, just my gut. I think it is more a symptom of the diseased, violent psyche that is infecting this country. It was always here but it just seems to be getting worse.

There is such a competitive, polemical divide in the US that I wonder if any lawmakers can muster the political will to have a rational discussion about how to deal with the disease.

I am just heartsick. I can't help but dwell on my kissing my kids as they left for school today and wondering how I would manage to continue functioning if that kiss was the last I ever felt of their warm, wonderful cheeks.
__________________
“Of all the offspring of Time, Error is the most ancient, and is so old and familiar an acquaintance, that Truth, when discovered, comes upon most of us like an intruder, and meets the intruder's welcome.”
― Charles Mackay, 1841 - Extraordinary Popular Delusions And The Madness Of Crowds
grunion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 02:51 PM   #266
One Skunk Todd
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 328
Some thoughts short of outright confiscation. Any or all of these:

1. All autoloading firearms subject to the NFA ($200.00 tax stamp, fingerprints, photograph, background check, LEO approval)

2. Raise the minimum ownership/purchase age for autoloaders to 25. (30?)

3. Mental health evaluation? (renew every 5/10 years?)

4. Ban on private transfers.

All onerous but still allow for private use/possession.
One Skunk Todd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 02:51 PM   #267
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty
 
NoahFence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Patriot Nation
Posts: 12,235
Originally Posted by Agatha View Post
This opportunistic idiot (I'd call him other names, but they'd be auto-censored out) thinks he has the answer to school shootings: Blame the separation of church and state
What a piece of :.

Wasn't there a mass shooting at a church not too long ago? What - God's not wanted in a church?
__________________
Our truest life is when we are in our dreams awake.

-Henry David Thoreau
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 02:52 PM   #268
LashL
Goddess of Legaltainment™
Administrator
 
LashL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 33,640
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
Expect the news media to be responsible?!


Yes, I know but, geez, erroneously labelling someone a mass murderer of kindergarten children and plastering his photo all over the place prematurely (i.e., without proper confirmation) is pretty outrageous if that is, indeed, what has happened here. Even worse, if it is as it currently appears, the fellow named and shamed is actually a victim (in that it sounds as though both his mother and father were murdered today, possibly by his brother).
LashL is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 02:52 PM   #269
Polaris
Philosopher
 
Polaris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 8,607
Originally Posted by scarlettinlondon View Post
I know. That's why you keep getting these school shootings.

it's your right. It's just not rational
What is rational is using this horrific incident as a catalyst to have a meaningful discussion on what to do about it. Banning every gun outright - as has been suggested quite a bit both outright and by implication - is as hysterical and emotional a reaction as the other side suggesting or outright saying the discussion shouldn't even be brought up.

It should be obvious - and it is obvious to a number of posters here and in the (gag, puke) blogosphere - that the common factor in the mass shootings is that the shooters are mentally ill, to say the least. That to me seems like the best route for the discussion to take: how to keep weapons out of the hands of the insane, and beyond that how to treat the insane in the first place (and reduce the stigma, if not eliminate it).
__________________
"There's vastly more truth to be found in rocks than in holy books. Rocks are far superior, in fact, because you can DEMONSTRATE the truth found in rocks. Plus, they're pretty. Holy books are just heavy." - Dinwar

"Let your ears hear this beautiful song that's hiding underneath the sound," Ed Kowalczyk.
Polaris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 02:52 PM   #270
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing
 
LTC8K6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Directly under a deadly chemtrail
Posts: 15,685
Originally Posted by scarlettinlondon View Post
I don't want to take them away from you.
I want you to give them up yourselves because you can see that you don't need them in a modern civilised country.
But I don't see or agree with that, and I am very much civilized, thank you.

Removing my guns from me would require passing a law. That would take my guns away from me. Guns that have never shot at anything other than tin cans and paper and other typical recreational targets. Guns that have done nothing but provide fun and entertainment to me and my friends and family.
__________________
What a fool believes, no wise man has the power to reason away. What seems to be, is always better than nothing.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 02:56 PM   #271
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing
 
thaiboxerken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 23,597
Originally Posted by Ben Adams View Post
No guns and now only the criminals have them.....
And law enforcement and military.
__________________
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 02:56 PM   #272
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning
 
a_unique_person's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 35,437
Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
I have a hard time believing this guy would've killed people if he didn't have access to guns.
The American handgun. Designed to be cheap, reliable and deadly. You can read all about the reasons to buy one gun or another, usually it comes down to the ability to do real damage without any trouble.
__________________
Continually pushing the boundaries of mediocrity.
Everything is possible, but not everything is probable.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 02:57 PM   #273
Ryokan
Insert something funny here
 
Ryokan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 8,993
Originally Posted by Agatha View Post
This opportunistic idiot (I'd call him other names, but they'd be auto-censored out) thinks he has the answer to school shootings: Blame the separation of church and state
Doesn't this argument come up every time there has been an incident like this?
Ryokan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 02:57 PM   #274
Sabretooth
No Ordinary Rabbit
 
Sabretooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 6,639
Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
And law enforcement and military.
When seconds count, the police are minutes away....
__________________
--------------------------------------
Stop asking me about that stupid fruity cereal...that's the OTHER rabbit!

Sabretooth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 02:58 PM   #275
JihadJane
Penultimate Satisfaction
 
JihadJane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 47,547
Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
But I don't see or agree with that, and I am very much civilized, thank you.

Removing my guns from me would require passing a law. That would take my guns away from me. Guns that have never shot at anything other than tin cans and paper and other typical recreational targets. Guns that have done nothing but provide fun and entertainment to me and my friends and family.
You'll get over it.
JihadJane is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 02:59 PM   #276
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing
 
LTC8K6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Directly under a deadly chemtrail
Posts: 15,685
Originally Posted by One Skunk Todd View Post
Some thoughts short of outright confiscation. Any or all of these:

1. All autoloading firearms subject to the NFA ($200.00 tax stamp, fingerprints, photograph, background check, LEO approval)

2. Raise the minimum ownership/purchase age for autoloaders to 25. (30?)

3. Mental health evaluation? (renew every 5/10 years?)

4. Ban on private transfers.

All onerous but still allow for private use/possession.
That would excessively restrict poor people...

That would excessively impact young people as well...

No way the excess fees or age are going to fly, imo...

In my state, NC, you can't privately transfer a handgun without a handgun permit from the buyer.
__________________
What a fool believes, no wise man has the power to reason away. What seems to be, is always better than nothing.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 02:59 PM   #277
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing
 
thaiboxerken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 23,597
Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
You do realize that not everybody lives in safe neighborhoods, right? There are parts of my city I wouldn't live in unless I owned a gun. Heck, there are parts of it I wouldn't go through unarmed, in broad daylight.
is it because they might have guns?
__________________
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 02:59 PM   #278
Polaris
Philosopher
 
Polaris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 8,607
Originally Posted by LashL View Post
Yes, I know but, geez, erroneously labelling someone a mass murderer of kindergarten children and plastering his photo all over the place prematurely (i.e., without proper confirmation) is pretty outrageous if that is, indeed, what has happened here. Even worse, if it is as it currently appears, the fellow named and shamed is actually a victim (in that it sounds as though both his mother and father were murdered today, possibly by his brother).
Oh I agree, it's a new low even for a media that pretty much all by itself set nuclear power back by decades after the Sendai Tsunami.
__________________
"There's vastly more truth to be found in rocks than in holy books. Rocks are far superior, in fact, because you can DEMONSTRATE the truth found in rocks. Plus, they're pretty. Holy books are just heavy." - Dinwar

"Let your ears hear this beautiful song that's hiding underneath the sound," Ed Kowalczyk.
Polaris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 03:00 PM   #279
Chris L
Graduate Poster
 
Chris L's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,317
Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
And law enforcement and military.
Neither of which were there in time to stop this from happening.
__________________
"The lie is different at every level."
Richard C. Hoagland

Last edited by Chris L; 14th December 2012 at 03:05 PM. Reason: someone else said it first.
Chris L is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 03:01 PM   #280
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing
 
LTC8K6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Directly under a deadly chemtrail
Posts: 15,685
Originally Posted by JihadJane View Post
You'll get over it.
Why should I have to?

I can't sit and try to hit tin cans at 100 yards with my Marlin model 60 and CCI Stingers on a Saturday afternoon because a mentally ill person went off and shot up a school?

It doesn't make sense.
__________________
What a fool believes, no wise man has the power to reason away. What seems to be, is always better than nothing.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:38 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.