ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 16th December 2012, 05:22 AM   #1
SatansMaleVoiceChoir
Illuminator

Android 'Freedom' and the 'Apple Trap'...

Can somebody explain either of those to me please?

Whenever the subject of Android Vs Apple comes up, or even usually a smartphone discussion, these things are always - or very often - brought up by Android users.

Even in this forum I have seen both 'Freedom' and 'Apple Trap' mentioned, but with no explanation of either.

As far as freedom goes, I cannot think of a single thing that an Android device can do that I cannot do with my iPhone and would actually want to do(personally speaking).

Someone mentioned that I can't use an iPhone as portable storage, whereas you can with an Android device. My initial thought was "Oh, OK - fair point actually", but then I stopped and considered it carefully, and I cannot think of a single real-world instance where I have needed to do so in the past, or would actually EVER need to do so. Maybe it's just me and most of the people who I have ever met that own smartphones, but I see my iPhone as a phone/communication device, internet browser and media player - not a portable hard drive.

As for the 'Apple Trap', I am at a loss as to what that actually means.

Anyone?

Do not believe hastily. - Ovid

There is no worse lie than a truth misunderstood by those who hear it. - William James

Last edited by SatansMaleVoiceChoir; 16th December 2012 at 05:24 AM.
SatansMaleVoiceChoir is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2012, 06:24 AM   #2
Bram Kaandorp
Master Poster

I think freedom refers to software freedom, in the sense that Android is open source, but apple isn't.

Compare it to the discussions over Windows vs. Linux.
Old 16th December 2012, 06:25 AM   #3
SatansMaleVoiceChoir
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Bram Kaandorp View Post
I think freedom refers to software freedom, in the sense that Android is open source, but apple isn't.

Compare it to the discussions over Windows vs. Linux.
So how is that advantageous?

There is no worse lie than a truth misunderstood by those who hear it. - William James
SatansMaleVoiceChoir is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2012, 06:29 AM   #4
Bram Kaandorp
Master Poster

Originally Posted by SatansMaleVoiceChoir View Post
So how is that advantageous?
It's advantageous for anyone who would want to fix a bug they noticed.

In Apple, you'd have to wait for the bug to be repaired. In Android, you're allowed to do it yourself.

Also, in licensing. You are allowed to install Android as often and on as many devices as you'd want.

Try that with iOS.
Old 16th December 2012, 06:37 AM   #5
SatansMaleVoiceChoir
Illuminator

It's advantageous for anyone who would want to fix a bug they noticed.

In Apple, you'd have to wait for the bug to be repaired. In Android, you're allowed to do it yourself.
OK... but that makes no odds to me or anybody I know who owns an iOS device (which is a lot), as none of us would know how to fix a bug anyway. I'd imagine that goes for a huge, vast, number of iOS users as well, so that's a bit of a non-'feature'.

Also, in licensing. You are allowed to install Android as often and on as many devices as you'd want.

Try that with iOS.
Why would I - or anyone - want to do that?

Old 16th December 2012, 06:50 AM   #6
Bram Kaandorp
Master Poster

OK... but that makes no odds to me or anybody I know who owns an iOS device (which is a lot), as none of us would know how to fix a bug anyway. I'd imagine that goes for a huge, vast, number of iOS users as well, so that's a bit of a non-'feature'.
It's like the right to same-sex marriage. Just because I am heterosexual doesn't mean someone else won't make use of it.

Quote:
Why would I - or anyone - want to do that?
If you were to do a complete reinstall of all of your android devices, but with a new version, would you rather buy 5 (1-use) licenses, or 1 license (which you don't even have to pay for) that you can use for al 5 devices and more?
Old 16th December 2012, 07:01 AM   #7
SatansMaleVoiceChoir
Illuminator

It's like the right to same-sex marriage. Just because I am heterosexual doesn't mean someone else won't make use of it.
Yes, but to continue your analogy () I'm not interested in homosexuality and I couldn't do it if I tried, as with the vast majority of human beings, so same sex-marriage is hardly a reason to become homosexual for the heterosexual majority, is it? The fact that a tiny minority can benefit from a feature of an OS is hardly going to make the majority who can't use it rush out to get it, or clamour for it to be a part of their OS.

If you were to do a complete reinstall of all of your android devices, but with a new version, would you rather buy 5 (1-use) licenses, or 1 license (which you don't even have to pay for) that you can use for al 5 devices and more?
Right... but if I want to do a reinstall of all my iOS devices, it gives me the latest version for free, every single time for as long as my device can support the latest version.

Old 16th December 2012, 07:03 AM   #8
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Buying an Apple mobile device entitles you to free OS updates for the lifetime of the device.

Last edited by Checkmite; 16th December 2012 at 07:04 AM.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2012, 08:09 AM   #9
TheL8Elvis
Illuminator

Can somebody explain either of those to me please?

Whenever the subject of Android Vs Apple comes up, or even usually a smartphone discussion, these things are always - or very often - brought up by Android users.

Even in this forum I have seen both 'Freedom' and 'Apple Trap' mentioned, but with no explanation of either.

As far as freedom goes, I cannot think of a single thing that an Android device can do that I cannot do with my iPhone and would actually want to do(personally speaking).

Someone mentioned that I can't use an iPhone as portable storage, whereas you can with an Android device. My initial thought was "Oh, OK - fair point actually", but then I stopped and considered it carefully, and I cannot think of a single real-world instance where I have needed to do so in the past, or would actually EVER need to do so. Maybe it's just me and most of the people who I have ever met that own smartphones, but I see my iPhone as a phone/communication device, internet browser and media player - not a portable hard drive.

As for the 'Apple Trap', I am at a loss as to what that actually means.

Anyone?
The only poster I see using the term apple trap is Hungry81. And that poster clearly doesn't like apple, so you might just as well be better off simply asking him/her.

However, it could refer to the apple 'ecosystem'. Once you start buying apps from the app store, you become invested in it, and it might make you less likely to move to something like android because you would have to re-buy things. You also become used to using iTunes to manage your music, etc. So you keep buying apple products.

As for the freedom of Android ('freedom' to root your phone, sideload, widgets on your home screen, etc.) I suspect that < 1% of the users are making 99% of the noise about that :-)
TheL8Elvis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2012, 09:03 AM   #10
SatansMaleVoiceChoir
Illuminator

Originally Posted by TheL8Elvis View Post
The only poster I see using the term apple trap is Hungry81. And that poster clearly doesn't like apple, so you might just as well be better off simply asking him/her.
I have seen the term used in other parts of the internet.

However, it could refer to the apple 'ecosystem'. Once you start buying apps from the app store, you become invested in it, and it might make you less likely to move to something like android because you would have to re-buy things. You also become used to using iTunes to manage your music, etc. So you keep buying apple products.
So, the more you use it (because you like it?), the more you rely on it (because you like it?).

"Damn, I wish I could swap to another OS where I can get viruses and stuff, and have the opportunity to change the source code (even though I don't know how), but I've enjoyed using iOS for so long I'd have to buy all these Apps and songs I loved so much all over again!"... Yeah, that's some trap alright!

It's almost like if you bought an Android device, you're never able to use your iOS device again to play music or Apps.. Oh, wait - no it isn't.

As for the freedom of Android ('freedom' to root your phone, sideload, widgets on your home screen, etc.) I suspect that < 1% of the users are making 99% of the noise about that :-)
Sorry, I wasn't just referring to here on the JREF; this mysterious 'freedom' is something that many Android users bring up all over the net.

Old 16th December 2012, 09:22 AM   #11
RecoveringYuppy
Illuminator

If that 1% is the developer community (and who else would it be?) then that could make a big difference to everyone who uses the devices. The number of apps for Android tied the number for apps of iPhone fairly quickly. Arguably, this could be a reason why. It will be interesting to see how Microsoft fares in that regard.

Anecdotally, I've got three apps on my Android phone/tablets that I wrote myself, at least one other that I didn't obtain through anyones Android Marketplace, maybe a 100 people using apps I wrote that I didn't distribute through a marketplace, and developers where I work are distributing an app outside of a marketplace. So it appears to have made a difference to me.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2012, 09:54 AM   #12
TheL8Elvis
Illuminator

Sorry, I wasn't just referring to here on the JREF; this mysterious 'freedom' is something that many Android users bring up all over the net.
Oh, I wasn't just referring to JREF either. I think the 'freedom' crown is a very vocal minority.
TheL8Elvis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2012, 09:55 AM   #13
SatansMaleVoiceChoir
Illuminator

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
If that 1% is the developer community (and who else would it be?) then that could make a big difference to everyone who uses the devices. The number of apps for Android tied the number for apps of iPhone fairly quickly. Arguably, this could be a reason why. It will be interesting to see how Microsoft fares in that regard.

Anecdotally, I've got three apps on my Android phone/tablets that I wrote myself, at least one other that I didn't obtain through anyones Android Marketplace, maybe a 100 people using apps I wrote that I didn't distribute through a marketplace, and developers where I work are distributing an app outside of a marketplace. So it appears to have made a difference to me.
Indeed, but how many people do you think buy an Android device because being able to code your own App is a deal-breaker for them? I'd suggest you are in a minority when compared to number of devices sold to number of people who can - and do - take advantage of being able to make their own Apps.

Of the (admittedly few) Android owners I have met, or know, none of them would even know what:

10 PRINT "ANDROID"
20 GOTO 10

Would mean or does, let alone code their own apps.

Old 16th December 2012, 09:58 AM   #14
SatansMaleVoiceChoir
Illuminator

Oh, I wasn't just referring to JREF either. I think the 'freedom' crown is a very vocal minority.
Relatively speaking, I suppose so. What I was thinking of is that when I was regularly search for iPhone 5 news, whenever I checked out the comments on an article, there were always one or two like that on each site.

Obviously, I know this doesn't mean ALL Android users felt the same...

Old 16th December 2012, 10:33 AM   #15
RecoveringYuppy
Illuminator

Indeed, but how many people do you think buy an Android device because being able to code your own App is a deal-breaker for them? I'd suggest you are in a minority when compared to number of devices sold to number of people who can - and do - take advantage of being able to make their own Apps.
Yeah, but a lot of people in the majority care that developers develop apps for the device. That was my point. If developers aren't attracted to it then that's going to impact all the other users.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2012, 10:42 AM   #16
SatansMaleVoiceChoir
Illuminator

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
Yeah, but a lot of people in the majority care that developers develop apps for the device. That was my point. If developers aren't attracted to it then that's going to impact all the other users.
Fair enough, but I don't think that's what people are bragging about when they lecture Apple users about 'lack of freedom'; "Ha Ha! We have lots of people developing Apps for our devices! Suck on that, Apple users!"

Old 16th December 2012, 10:42 AM   #17
Ryokan
Insert something funny here

I love my Android tablet. I can put whatever I want on it, unlike the iPad. When I'm out travelling, I put movies, books and comics on micro sd cards to bring with me. Can't do that on the iPad.
Ryokan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2012, 10:53 AM   #18
SatansMaleVoiceChoir
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Ryokan View Post
I love my Android tablet. I can put whatever I want on it, unlike the iPad. When I'm out travelling, I put movies, books and comics on micro sd cards to bring with me. Can't do that on the iPad.
Quite. I cant use a micro SD card - I just use iCloud to access any of my 20 feature films or 32 books or 1570 songs. I just keep some of the old favourites in local storage.

Old 16th December 2012, 12:55 PM   #19
Captain_Swoop
Philosopher

I load stuff on and off my Ipad from an SD card.
I use a camera/card adapter I got from ebay for £4.50
plug it in and away I go.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2012, 01:27 PM   #20
SatansMaleVoiceChoir
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
I load stuff on and off my Ipad from an SD card.
I use a camera/card adapter I got from ebay for £4.50
plug it in and away I go.
Wasn't aware you can do that!

Like I say - I've never needed SD cards before anyway.

Old 16th December 2012, 03:59 PM   #21
Bram Kaandorp
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Buying an Apple mobile device entitles you to free OS updates for the lifetime of the device.
Didn't know that. Good policy.
Old 16th December 2012, 04:45 PM   #22
Ferguson
Muse

Huh? Is it even possible to "buy" an android or iOS license?
Ferguson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2012, 06:35 PM   #23
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Quite. I cant use a micro SD card - I just use iCloud to access any of my 20 feature films or 32 books or 1570 songs. I just keep some of the old favourites in local storage.
Not when you don't have acess to the iCloud.

Ever travel?
WildCat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2012, 07:27 PM   #24
Giraffe107
Graduate Poster

What I don't like about my iphone is I can't put whatever I want on it. For example I listen to podcasts- but you can only copy the five most recent podcasts onto your phone (not any 5 either, which would be ok, but only the 5 most recent). This is a problem because I listen at work or while out and about so I don't have access to my home network- I don't have mobile data on, and 3G is patchy at best where I live anyway.

My husband and I both have iphones- I still can't get icloud to work on my phone. I've reverted it back to factory settings about 3 times, still doesn't work. It can't handle two accounts it seems, I have lost a few apps that I've bought on my phone and then can't backup for some reasons, so when I've had bugs/crashes I've lost them completely.

As for getting free OS updates for life- the recent problems with the latest iOS don't make this all too appealing. About 50% of my friends with iphone 4/4s have lost all their contacts when they've upgraded to iOS6.

- Matt Groening
Giraffe107 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2012, 07:33 PM   #25
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

I'm able to download and keep any and as many episodes of any podcast that I want on my iPod, so long as there's disk space available. Any podcast episode you manually download will remain until you manually delete it, regardless of the auto download/delete settings.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2012, 10:27 PM   #26
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

My Android OS was just upgraded to Jelly Bean for free.
WildCat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2012, 01:52 AM   #27
SatansMaleVoiceChoir
Illuminator

Originally Posted by WildCat View Post
Not when you don't have acess to the iCloud.

Ever travel?
Frequently. I suppose it would be an issue if I was going caving, or exploring the wilderness and had a sudden need to watch 'Krull' on my iPad. Given that all the hotels or places I stay at all have wifi then I'm pretty much covered. If I can't get wifi, then it's 3G. If I can't get 3G then I'd rely on internal storage until I could. Not that this has happened yet.

Old 17th December 2012, 02:02 AM   #28
SatansMaleVoiceChoir
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Giraffe107 View Post
What I don't like about my iphone is I can't put whatever I want on it. For example I listen to podcasts- but you can only copy the five most recent podcasts onto your phone (not any 5 either, which would be ok, but only the 5 most recent). This is a problem because I listen at work or while out and about so I don't have access to my home network- I don't have mobile data on, and 3G is patchy at best where I live anyway.
I'm not sure what's happening there, but the only restriction on what you can store on your phone is storage space.

My husband and I both have iphones- I still can't get icloud to work on my phone. I've reverted it back to factory settings about 3 times, still doesn't work. It can't handle two accounts it seems, I have lost a few apps that I've bought on my phone and then can't backup for some reasons, so when I've had bugs/crashes I've lost them completely.
I'm not sure what you mean by "two accounts". Also "bugs/crashes"?

As for getting free OS updates for life- the recent problems with the latest iOS don't make this all too appealing. About 50% of my friends with iphone 4/4s have lost all their contacts when they've upgraded to iOS6.
I've never heard of problems like that when updating iOS. The biggest problem is usually the wait to get hold of it.

From everything you describe above, I think you should just cut your losses and get a Nokia 3310...

Old 17th December 2012, 02:11 AM   #29
OnlyTellsTruths

Here's my attempt at answering the last time the OP asked this exact same question.

I literally can't believe no one has explained this yet in this thread:

Originally Posted by OnlyTellsTruths View Post
Well it has nothing to do with Apple/Android at it's most basic level.

You can see that in the thread about the Microsoft Surface tablet.

The Surface with Win 8 RT is like Apple, you can only install what Microsoft approves into their App store.

The Surface with Win 8 Pro will on the other hand have freedom. You can install the large back catalog of Windows programs without having to wait for it to be "ported". Which includes just an insane amount of awesome freeware that has been created over the past 20 years. Developers can also release their own software, from their own website, without getting Microsoft's permission and/or getting it into some app store.

In other words, on Android you don't have to install stuff only from the Android store, you can install stuff from all over the web. AFAIK you would have to hack your iPhone to do that.

And then me getting all philosophical about it when the OP asked for clarification:

It could be similar to real freedom. It is impossible to know what freedom is unless you have had freedom AND not have had it.

I could use slavery as what I mean by not having freedom, or perhaps growing up in a totalitarian country the likes of which the world has never seen, but I will use prison. Not a cushy prison either. Absolute confinement. Only given what you need to stay alive. Period.

Basically, if you have lived your life never having lost freedom, you have no idea what freedom is.

If you lived your life never having freedom, you also have no idea what freedom is.

You have to have either A:

Lived a life of freedom and then lost it.

Or B:

Live a life without freedom and then gained it.

To know what freedom is.

There is no being told about it. There is no reading about it in a book. You would not truly know what freedom is by just learning about it.

Now obviously, it is a bit of a stretch to use real freedom in an analogy being used to compare tablet computers. But it might be the same time of thing.

In other words, you would have no idea how much more awesome the Surface running Win 8 Pro is compared to the Surface running Win 8 RT unless you spend time using both.

Personally, I would take more freedom over more security any day.

Same time next month?
Old 17th December 2012, 02:26 AM   #30
SatansMaleVoiceChoir
Illuminator

Here's my attempt at answering the last time the OP asked this exact same question.
Yes, but your answer was rubbish, and I thought I'd open it to the floor.

In other words, on Android you don't have to install stuff only from the Android store, you can install stuff from all over the web. AFAIK you would have to hack your iPhone to do that.
Ah, well actually you make a fair point there. I'm sure many Apple users have sat staring forlornly at their device thinking "I really wish I could download stuff from the net. I simply haven't got enough stuff on my phone."

I enjoy using my iPhone 5, but it is seriously lacking in stuff - it's got all the apps, music, films and podcasts on it, or available to it, that I could possibly want, but it is just missing that vital ingredient - 'stuff'.

Um... What sort of 'stuff' am I missing out on by the way?

ETA: Forgot to mention, if by 'stuff' you're including web videos, then I can actually do that - there's an App for it. I forgot because it's something I don't do with any regularity.
ETA: Or, when you say 'stuff', do you mean 'pictures, photo's and GIFs', because I can do that as well.

And then me getting all philosophical about it when the OP asked for clarification:

Personally, I would take more freedom over more security any day.

Same time next month?
That's lovely. So what am I missing out on again? I know I'm not free to get viruses or malware, but I don't think I'm actually missing anything.

Last edited by SatansMaleVoiceChoir; 17th December 2012 at 02:35 AM.
Old 17th December 2012, 03:13 AM   #31
Captain_Swoop
Philosopher

When they say 'stuff' they mean Porn!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2012, 03:22 AM   #32
SatansMaleVoiceChoir
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
When they say 'stuff' they mean Porn!
Ah!

Trust me - I'm not missing out on that by owning an Apple product!

Old 17th December 2012, 03:24 AM   #33
Alan
Illuminator

About freedom of customisation.

What about Tasker? It's an app for Android that lets you automate things. Like, if you're at a certain location you set, it automatically sets your phone to be silent (work? cinema?). Or automatically turns off GPS when you get home (to save battery). Or only turn wifi/other data on when you open an app that uses it. Pretty much anything someone can think of, and those are just things I can think of, and I just bought it today.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...LnRhc2tlcm0iXQ..
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

What others have thought of:
http://lifehacker.com/5601133/push-y...-tasker-setups
http://tasker.wikidot.com/profile-index
http://androidforums.com/tasker/1582...-profiles.html

And there are lots of different interfaces for Android.
Here's one released recently:
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

And different keyboard types, like this new one:
I AGREE

or swiping ones like Swiftkey Flow
I AGREE
Alan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2012, 04:18 AM   #34
SatansMaleVoiceChoir
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Alan View Post
About freedom of customisation.

What about Tasker? It's an app for Android that lets you automate things. Like, if you're at a certain location you set, it automatically sets your phone to be silent (work? cinema?). Or automatically turns off GPS when you get home (to save battery). Or only turn wifi/other data on when you open an app that uses it. Pretty much anything someone can think of, and those are just things I can think of, and I just bought it today.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...LnRhc2tlcm0iXQ..
I AGREE
OK, so that's something you have to pay £3.99 for though, so it's not a built-in feature of Android. Rather than pay £3.99 for that, I'd just tell Siri to remind me to switch off my phone when I got to a certain location, and leave it as a permanent reminder. Free.

I tend to keep my phone on silent at all times anyway, and use the vibrate function.

My phone automatically defaults to wifi when I'm near a known network.

Wow... OK; here's an example of how to set up the £3.99 App to read your messages while driving, on Android:

Quote:
Note: This won't, unfortunately, work for those using Google Voice as their only SMS app. Here's how to set it up:

Context: Event -> Phone -> Received SMS. Leave both fields blank, unless you want to specify a particular sender as the only SMS worth reading.

Context 2: Application -> Car Home (if two appear, choose the second/lower).

Task: Misc -> Say. Enter the following, or something like it, into the Text field, making sure to keep capitalization and the percentage marks:

SMS from %SMSRF: %SMSRB

%SMSRF is the sender variable, and %SMSRB is the body of the SMS. You can also customize the "Stream" this text is read on, i.e. the volume level it will obey.

Alternatives: In place of the Car Home application, you add contexts from the "State" menu like "Docked," "Bluetooth Connected," or "USB Plugged" to set up the conditions for when you're actually in your car.
On my iPhone I just hold down the home button, wait for the 'beep' and say "Read my messages". That's free.

And there are lots of different interfaces for Android.
Here's one released recently:
I AGREE
That's nice, but it's a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. Since owning an iPhone I have never once thought "My life would be so much EASIER if I could just open my Apps within ONE SECOND!!!". I have all my favourite apps right on my home screen. Admittedly, this is just me we're talking about, but I have never heard any of the many people I know complain about not being able to launch an App quickly enough!

ETA: And if I had so many Apps I couldn't remember where one was, I'd simply hold the home button, wait for the 'beep' and say "Open 'TheNameOfThatAppICan'tFind'".

And different keyboard types, like this new one:
I AGREE
That was a bad example; that keyboard is a monstrosity. Once again, a solution to a problem that does not exist. Why would I want to change from a standard keyboard that is second nature to me? I have never once thought - and none have my friends have ever said - "I wish someone would totally redesign the concept of a keyboard!" Besides, the iPad keyboard can be split in half to enable the user to type with their thumbs.

or swiping ones like Swiftkey Flow
I AGREE
I had one similar as a free App on my first-gen iPhone. Once the novelty wore off, I stopped using it and went back to typing. To be fair, I don't think it's available anymore on iOS. However, once again, a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Last edited by SatansMaleVoiceChoir; 17th December 2012 at 04:35 AM.
Old 17th December 2012, 05:37 AM   #35
Bram Kaandorp
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Ferguson View Post
Huh? Is it even possible to "buy" an android or iOS license?
If you buy an Apple product, that includes a license to have Mac installed. It's the standard way of doing things in proprietary software.

That's one of the differences between it and free/open source software.
Old 17th December 2012, 05:51 AM   #36
SatansMaleVoiceChoir
Illuminator

If you buy an Apple product, that includes a license to have Mac installed. It's the standard way of doing things in proprietary software.

So what are we saying here? If I bought a device running an Android OS, this entitles me to download it onto any other device, like a Windows phone, or an iPhone?

Old 17th December 2012, 06:24 AM   #37
Alan
Illuminator

That keyboard wasn't for you, but it is a perfect example of the customisability of Android. As with the others. And voice control is a feature on Android as well. And a complaint about a couple of dollars in a criticism of Android and a boast about iOS is strange.
Alan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2012, 06:25 AM   #38
erlando
Graduate Poster

That's factually wrong. I have my iOS devices loaded with 20+ podcasts. Check your settings in iTunes. There is an option to transfer "recent", "checked" or "all".
Old 17th December 2012, 06:30 AM   #39
SatansMaleVoiceChoir
Illuminator

So what are we saying here? If I bought a device running an Android OS, this entitles me to download it onto any other device, like a Windows phone, or an iPhone?

Old 17th December 2012, 06:40 AM   #40
SatansMaleVoiceChoir
Illuminator

That keyboard wasn't for you, but it is a perfect example of the customisability of Android. As with the others. And voice control is a feature on Android as well.
It's a perfect example of a solution without a problem. Again, this is just me, but I cannot ever imagine a time I would want to use a keyboard like that. How is offering me loads of redundant features the same as 'freedom'?

And a complaint about a couple of dollars in a criticism of Android and a boast about iOS is strange.
It's not the money - it's the idea that Android is supposedly better than iOS because it gives you the 'freedom' to pay for and download something that allows you to do pretty much what I can already do on iOS, baked-in.

Looking at those links, it looks like 'Android Freedom' means "I can fiddle around typing codes into the guts of the OS, or buy an App that lets me fiddle around typing codes in, all so I can make some minor functionality changes (all of which are probably do-able in iOS anyway), which are only really superficial anyway."

Last edited by SatansMaleVoiceChoir; 17th December 2012 at 06:42 AM.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet