ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 20th December 2012, 09:49 PM   #1
mike3
Master Poster

How can I gain more knowledge of History?

Hi.

I'm wondering about this. It seems a lot of you on this forum have some nice, big knowledge of history, and I was wondering how I could manage to gain a similar level of knowledge. What would you suggest?
“Ego is subversive and devolutionary, truly destructive and terrible; ego is the generator of privilege, established institutions, and comfortable habit. Ego is the fire that burns within the pit of hell, devouring and consuming everything that enters and leaving utterly nothing behind. Ego is horrible, cruel, and restraining, the darkness of the world, and the doom and bane of man.” – my reaction to that famous Bertrand Russell quote.
mike3 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2012, 10:20 PM   #2
angrysoba
Philosophile

Books. Lots of them. The more I read, the more I realize I should have made a serious effort to read extensively about sixty years ago.

Fortunately, History has ended, so it should give you a chance to catch up.

Though it may be conceited of me to think that you had me in mind when you wrote your OP, and, now that I think of it, you surely didn't.
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2012, 10:25 PM   #3
AdMan
Philosopher

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Books. Lots of them.

^This.

Find some history courses you can take at a local college.

Or try http://www.thegreatcourses.com/tgc/c...es.aspx?ps=918, or see if your local library carries some of these.
Old 20th December 2012, 10:44 PM   #4
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Think of something that interests you. The more specific, the better. Learn everything you can about it. Learn how it started.

Go as far back as you can. Go back until it becomes something else. Learn about that.

For example: Shipping containers. How did they start? What was shipping like before containers? Why longshoremen? Wait, what about Panamax ships? What about the Panama Canal? How did that happen? Teddy Roosevelt? What's his deal? Where did he come from? Etc.

Another: The US Civil War. Just study that, all by itself. Who knows where you'll end up. The Mexican-American War? US Presidents? The abolition of slavery in Europe? The history of the Russian empire?

There's no one thing called "History" that people have a "nice, big knowledge" of. There's only things that interest you, and things you know a lot about.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2012, 11:00 PM   #5
angrysoba
Philosophile

Following on from what the prestige said, perhaps the best place to start is which specific areas about history do you want to learn about?

Maybe you could begin by telling us which posts and threads particularly impressed you.

Maybe some of the posters there could recommend which sources they found most useful.

Also, although I said books, don't necessarily restrict yourself to books. You may also learn plenty from good history documentaries, although I think they are best watched in tandem with books on the subject.
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2012, 11:05 PM   #6
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by mike3 View Post
Hi.

I'm wondering about this. It seems a lot of you on this forum have some nice, big knowledge of history, and I was wondering how I could manage to gain a similar level of knowledge. What would you suggest?
Live a very long time.
marplots is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2012, 11:05 PM   #7
Ron_Tomkins
Satan's Helper

I once opened a thread asking about the Daniel Dennett of History and someone recommended me James Burke. You should definitely check him out. He's amazing. James Burke is not so much about giving you a lecture on history, but rather teaching you the connections between the inventions that human beings have made and how the most unlikely inventions share common connections.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Carl Sagan
Ron_Tomkins is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2012, 11:12 PM   #8
AdMan
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ron_Tomkins View Post
I once opened a thread asking about the Daniel Dennett of History and someone recommended me James Burke. You should definitely check him out. He's amazing. James Burke is not so much about giving you a lecture on history, but rather teaching you the connections between the inventions that human beings have made and how the most unlikely inventions share common connections.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Connections was a terrific show. Glad to see it's available on Youtube.
Old 21st December 2012, 12:09 AM   #9
anglolawyer
Philosopher

Yes. Books. I like close-up history. Something on the day-to-day level. What was life like for ordinary folk in Ancient Rome for example, or how about the trial of Charles I (1649) which might get you into the English Civil War.
anglolawyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 12:16 AM   #10
Spockette
Scholar

One of the best ways to ease into the study of history, IMHO, is to start reading biographies of famous people (except celebrities, which are mostly useless for this purpose). Any good biography will place the person at least somewhat in the context of his or her times. From there, you might find a thread of interest that you want to follow up more broadly.

Also don't ignore historical novels. Again IMHO, Mary Renault's books are a good introduction to classical Greece, for example. I also learned a lot from Pynchon's Mason and Dixon, although that isn't for everyone.

Another option is DVDs from your library. Any reasonably big city library these days probably has educational videos on all kinds of subjects that you can download for free.
Spockette is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 12:20 AM   #11
GrouchoMarxist
Cowardly insulter of Buddhism

I'd love to be a Civil War buff. What do you have to do to be a buff?
Old 21st December 2012, 12:22 AM   #12
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Spockette View Post
Also don't ignore historical novels. Again IMHO, Mary Renault's books are a good introduction to classical Greece, for example. I also learned a lot from Pynchon's Mason and Dixon, although that isn't for everyone.
Indeed. The Flashman novels with all the end notes will inform you on British colonial history, Afghan history, the slave trade, the American expansion west, a bit of Madagascarn history and much more, especially if you take some of Flashman's interpretations of events with a pinch of salt.
Old 21st December 2012, 01:01 AM   #13
anglolawyer
Philosopher

If they're still around, your grandparents are a living, breathing repository of social history (or more if one of them is like Kissinger or somebody lol).
anglolawyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 01:18 AM   #14
Hans
Illuminator

Read, pick a subject and read a general history-then get into the details
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 01:23 AM   #15
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by anglolawyer View Post
Yes. Books. I like close-up history. Something on the day-to-day level. What was life like for ordinary folk in Ancient Rome for example, or how about the trial of Charles I (1649) which might get you into the English Civil War.
Go to Amazon, hit Daily Life In/Life in/Everyday Life in (other similar) and add the location and time range (ancient, medieval, etc. There are at least two series of this type. None are inexpensive. Double check reviews on them - some are not as good as their source would suggest but others just fine

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 01:24 AM   #16
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Note, I tested this randomly before suggesting it. Works for Rome, Medieval Europe (parts of), Victorian England......................SO.........

Wash this space!

fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 01:26 AM   #17
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by GrouchoMarxist View Post
Exercize frequently and make sure you don't miss any of the muscle groups when you do.

Wash this space!

Old 21st December 2012, 01:43 AM   #18
StankApe
Banned

I watch documentaries. and when something really peaks my interest, I go find some good books! (often in the credits of historical doc's there is a bibliography or a book that goes along with it.)
StankApe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 02:35 AM   #19
anglolawyer
Philosopher

Here's a good one. Go on holiday to an interesting place (Florence, Istanbul, Paris, the Alamo etc) and get a book or two about a time in which that place formed the backdrop and read it/them when you're there (or when you get back or before you go). This connects you with reality of what you're reading and makes the book and the place more interesting.
Old 21st December 2012, 06:42 AM   #20
SpitfireIX
Illuminator

Originally Posted by GrouchoMarxist View Post

Are you asking for suggestions about where and how to start learning?
3) "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." --Inigo Montoya
SpitfireIX is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 06:50 AM   #21
SpitfireIX
Illuminator

Hi.

Get an otherwise useless degree in American and/or European history (preferably from a public college or university, if you live in the US; it's much cheaper). Then move back in with your parents and/or room with friends from high school while you work in retail, customer service, or the restaurant industry. As you're able, go back to school part time (or even full time) and get a real degree.
3) "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." --Inigo Montoya
SpitfireIX is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 06:50 AM   #22
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by StankApe View Post
I watch documentaries. and when something really peaks my interest, I go find some good books! (often in the credits of historical doc's there is a bibliography or a book that goes along with it.)
As said, watching documentaries can be useful for consolidating what you read in books, but more reading can pique your interest too.
Old 21st December 2012, 06:52 AM   #23
angrysoba
Philosophile

Here's a good one. Go on holiday to an interesting place (Florence, Istanbul, Paris, the Alamo etc) and get a book or two about a time in which that place formed the backdrop and read it/them when you're there (or when you get back or before you go). This connects you with reality of what you're reading and makes the book and the place more interesting.
Yes! That's a fun one too. Try Cambodia and Vietnam for fun historical tours.
Old 21st December 2012, 06:56 AM   #24
HotRodDeluxe
Critical Thinker

Try to use original sources wherever possible as historiography often reflects the socio-political environment of the authors. I studied Ancient History & the Classics at university, but my favourite period is the Eastern Roman Empire (Byzantine) and although I've read the secondary texts on the subject, I purchase the original sources in translation wherever possible in order to avoid secondary bias.
HotRodDeluxe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 06:57 AM   #25
Tiktaalik
Half True Scotsperson

There are 398 units of the National Park System here in the U.S. (if you are in the U.S.) and most of them contain some aspect of history. Many of them are dedicated to history. Go to the ones near you and walk around, read the signs, get the literature, talk to the people there. Start locally. This will work unless you are in Rhode Island.
Tiktaalik is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 07:01 AM   #26
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by HotRodDeluxe View Post
Try to use original sources wherever possible as historiography often reflects the socio-political environment of the authors. I studied Ancient History & the Classics at university, but my favourite period is the Eastern Roman Empire (Byzantine) and although I've read the secondary texts on the subject, I purchase the original sources in translation wherever possible in order to avoid secondary bias.
Don't listen to him! Primary sources are full of bias!
Old 21st December 2012, 07:32 AM   #27
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Hi.

I suggest that you find some time period and/or event that you are interested in and start reading about it.

Of course, a better way is to get a college degree in history if you really want a more well rounded view of things.
On 10 JUN 2014, 'Gaeten’ claimed that it was Satan who provided the Ten Commandments to Moses. “This is not God who gave the Moses law to Moses but Satan, and the reason why he did that is because he wants people to go to hell.”
http://forums.randi.org/showthread.p...6#post10065066

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 11:33 AM   #28
StankApe
Banned

As said, watching documentaries can be useful for consolidating what you read in books, but more reading can pique your interest too.
indeed..........the shame..............
StankApe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 11:36 AM   #29
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

But with them it is primary bias!!! *

*seriously, though, it pretty much is.......

Wash this space!

Old 21st December 2012, 11:40 AM   #30
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Hi.

Watch the History Channel.

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 11:51 AM   #31
gabeygoat
Muse

Originally Posted by The Central Scrutinizer View Post

nah, dog
gabeygoat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 02:24 PM   #32
HotRodDeluxe
Critical Thinker

Of course, but why compound it further when it can be avoided? Secondary sources are necessary in gaining an understanding of the primary sources, but we've all seen authors 'stretch' the evidence and form outrageous hypotheses as a result.

Last edited by HotRodDeluxe; 21st December 2012 at 02:39 PM.
HotRodDeluxe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 02:37 PM   #33
HotRodDeluxe
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
But with them it is primary bias!!! *

*seriously, though, it pretty much is.......
Quite true, but why compound it further if it can be avoided?

A classic example of my point lies in post WWII Greek historiography regarding the Eastern Roman Empire, where the controversy rages over whether it should be known as the Roman Empire at all. Some refer to it as the Greek Empire based on the fact that the citizens were Hellenized and spoke koine Greek. This nationalistic style of historiography ignores the inheritance and the way the people viewed themselves as protectors of this inheritance. The primary sources leave no doubt.
Old 21st December 2012, 02:41 PM   #34
HotRodDeluxe
Critical Thinker

Watch the History Nazi Channel.

Yes, History Channel, the Nazis were bad, we get it!
Old 21st December 2012, 04:27 PM   #35
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

You are evil!!!!!!!

Wash this space!

Old 21st December 2012, 08:14 PM   #36
mike3
Master Poster

Originally Posted by SpitfireIX View Post
Get an otherwise useless degree in American and/or European history (preferably from a public college or university, if you live in the US; it's much cheaper). Then move back in with your parents and/or room with friends from high school while you work in retail, customer service, or the restaurant industry. As you're able, go back to school part time (or even full time) and get a real degree.
What do you mean by a "real degree"? In history, or what?
“Ego is subversive and devolutionary, truly destructive and terrible; ego is the generator of privilege, established institutions, and comfortable habit. Ego is the fire that burns within the pit of hell, devouring and consuming everything that enters and leaving utterly nothing behind. Ego is horrible, cruel, and restraining, the darkness of the world, and the doom and bane of man.” – my reaction to that famous Bertrand Russell quote.
mike3 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 08:26 PM   #37
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Join a historical re-enactment society.
Old 21st December 2012, 08:26 PM   #38
Gawdzilla
121.92-meter mutant fire-breathing lizard-thingy

A few books here.
Morgan Freeman does the voice-over on all my posts.
Gawdzilla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 09:26 PM   #39
CelticRose
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Ron_Tomkins View Post

I AGREE
Squee!!!! Connections is on YouTube!!! He wrote some awesome companion books to that series too.

Be yourself no matter what they say. - Sting

My needlework blog: http://rainbowpincushion.blogspot.com/
CelticRose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 09:55 PM   #40
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

That's what I try to do, and it works with biographies as well. In Dublin we stayed in the house Wellington was born in (now the exquisite Merrion Hotel), saw his tomb in St John's and the academy he attended in France. This prompted me to read several books about him, and has led me to conclude he was one of the world's greatest ever generals.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts