ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 25th December 2012, 01:56 AM   #41
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by StankApe View Post
you apparently don't anything about the classifications of crime. the way criminals are profiled and the ways this information is used to help improve crime detection and prevention. I suspect people in your law enforcement do. and I suspect they would treat him as a mass killer when they interviewed him, qualified his crime and attempted to use this information to better educate law enforcement.

If a guy walks into a McDonalds with a belt full of guns and starts shooting like mad, missing often and is either subdued or killed before he kill anyone. It would not be considered a "homicide" but HE would be profiled and treated as a mass killer by law enforcement (psychologically). Just as people who get caught before the building burns down,are considered arsonists and those who mail bombs that don't go off are considered bombers. They may not have been successful in the completion of their crimes. But they "are" that criminal.
You've made this sort of assertion more than once. Where's the evidence that
someone who intends to kill a number of people is a mass murderer. Show it or withdraw this ridiculous assertion.

For those who don't know the background, there has not been a mass firearm massacre (as defined) since firearm bans in Australia 16 years ago. What gun "enthusiasts" try to counter with is a gunman who killed two people in Melbourne more recently. When the paucity of this argument is exposed, Stankape says its the "intent" that matters. Something which wouldn't pass muster in elementary school.

Sir Winston Churchill

Last edited by lionking; 25th December 2012 at 02:01 AM.
lionking is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2012, 02:01 AM   #42
Ranb
Philosopher

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Giving a child a firearm is disgusting.
So only adults should learn how to shoot firearms?

Ranb
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2012, 02:02 AM   #43
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Ranb View Post

Ranb
Not a bad start.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2012, 02:02 AM   #44
Ranb
Philosopher

Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
He's way to young to learn his penis is so small as to require a tool for killing to make him feel like a man.
That sounds sexist, or would you tell that to a girl who is learning how to shoot also?

Ranb
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2012, 02:16 AM   #45
Aepervius
Philosopher

Originally Posted by GeeMack View Post
Some folks have no shame at all. None.

Disgusting.
What is this woman and those two kids doing with this poor whale ? they put a santa hat on it...

Forgive me
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2012, 02:22 AM   #46
HotRodDeluxe
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Elypsis44 View Post
Some folks have no shame at all. None.

Disgusting.

http://i1324.photobucket.com/albums/...SantaGuns1.jpg
That pic is spun gold!!!!

Last edited by HotRodDeluxe; 25th December 2012 at 02:38 AM.
HotRodDeluxe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2012, 04:14 AM   #47
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Profanz View Post
The picture is ignorant. Ignorant and stupid. If you like ignorance that flies in the face of recent events than good for you.
As much as I don't like guns, I'm going to have to call you on that: what's "ignorant" about this picture, and how can a picture be ignorant ?

"When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force, my friends, is violence. The supreme authority from which all other authorities are derived." - Starship Troopers
Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2012, 05:41 AM   #48
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Ranb View Post

Ranb
That's one of the first steps towards bring your rampant gun problem under control.
Old 25th December 2012, 05:43 AM   #49
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by GrouchoMarxist View Post
They're holding santa hostage you fool!
If they're holding Santa hostage shouldn't he be holding up a copy of today's paper?
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2012, 05:45 AM   #50
angrysoba
Philosophile

Awww! They blow up so fast these days!

angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2012, 06:15 AM   #51
triforcharity
Banned

Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
I don't have the pic, but as a kid there were pics taken at a shoot with me in the prone position, shooting this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...lection/A6.jpg

I was 9 - 10 at the time iirc.

Amnesty registered 1919A6 MG from the Korean war.
Nice! Do you still own that?
triforcharity is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2012, 06:18 AM   #52
triforcharity
Banned

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Another lie. Two deaths is not a massacre, by definition.

Look, I know how uncomfortable it must be for when faced with evidence that banning semi-automatics and handguns saves lives, but to pretend that this strategy has not been successful in Australia is simply ridiculous.
We don't give a **** how they do it in Australia. Nor do we give a **** how Australians feel about our guns.
triforcharity is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2012, 06:22 AM   #53
triforcharity
Banned

Ok, thanks for your opinion. We appreciate your feedback, and will take it into consideration. While you're wondering how disgusting it is, my son and I, and Cylinder's daughter and him, will be out shooting our guns.

Cheers!
Old 25th December 2012, 06:24 AM   #54
BStrong
Philosopher

Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
He's way to young to learn his penis is so small as to require a tool for killing to make him feel like a man.
Speaking of classy...
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2012, 06:25 AM   #55
BStrong
Philosopher

Originally Posted by triforcharity View Post
Nice! Do you still own that?
Family heirloom, and when I'm gone it will stay in the family.
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2012, 06:33 AM   #56
triforcharity
Banned

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
That's one of the first steps towards bring your rampant gun problem under control.
I'll have to disagree. I feel (personally, having grown up with guns, and been shooting them since I was a kid) that if you teach a child to respect a gun, and to use it properly, chances are they will respect them for their lifetime.

My father taught me gun safety starting at about 7 years old with BB guns. AS I got older, it progressed into different weapons and so on.

Now, there's not many weapons I wouldn't know how to operate safely, with a few exceptions. And I'm teaching my son the same way. I've drilled into his head gun safety. I'd bet he's better about gun safety than some adults.

That's just my opinion though.
Old 25th December 2012, 06:34 AM   #57
triforcharity
Banned

Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
Family heirloom, and when I'm gone it will stay in the family.
Awesome! Adopt me? Lol!!

(what's the cost per round?)
Old 25th December 2012, 06:43 AM   #58
sadhatter
Philosopher

Oh I'm sanctimonious huh? I am the father of a child around the same age as the children killed by lax gun laws few weeks ago.

whatever

You can spew all your crap. But make no mistake about it. The changes are coming..

Sanctimonious or not.
Did i miss where a bunch of gun laws got all anthropomorphic like schoolhouse rock, and killed a bunch of folks, or are you being really over the top?

If there were no guns in existence the guy would have whipped up a few pipe bombs, not exactly rocket science. A person killed the children, not a rampaging pack of paper.

I know it is disturbing to think that we just can't regulate everything into and out of existence, but unfortunately that is the case.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2012, 06:45 AM   #59
sadhatter
Philosopher

Heeeeeeeee Hwaaaaaaaaa!!!!

LETS BE SPITEFUL STUPID!!!!!!
I'm a knife collector, should i have suddenly felt shamefull about my hobby post 9/11?

People have hobbies involving weapons, normal, nice "hold the door open for old ladies" folk like myself. And these folk will never use said weapons for harm, get over it.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2012, 06:46 AM   #60
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

That photo is ridiculous. Everyone knows Santa needs no guns. He kills with Force lightning, or sometimes uses his lightsaber. Darth Santa has no need for the crude technological horrors of guns.
Old 25th December 2012, 06:54 AM   #61
Dcdrac
Philosopher

Not exactly classy no given recent events
Dcdrac is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2012, 08:07 AM   #62
triforcharity
Banned

Did you not read the thread either? It wasn't taken recently. And I would understand if it was a school photo, or maybe with a school in the background, but it's not.
Old 25th December 2012, 08:20 AM   #63
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

This is the background picture on my phone. It's my son when he was 9.

"Remember that the goal of conspiracy rhetoric is to bog down the discussion, not to make progress toward a solution" Jay Windley
DGM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2012, 08:23 AM   #64
Quad4_72
AI-EE-YAH!

I actually agree with you. Giving a firearm to a child without any supervision is definitely a no go. Letting a child hold a firearm for a picture though? Perfectly acceptable. I know this sounds absolutely deplorable to some of the individuals on this forum (Especially the foreigners who don't understand our culture), but us responsible gun owners feel that educating children about the proper use of guns at a young age is much more responsible then shielding them from them their whole lives and telling them "Guns are bad be very afraid!"
Looks like the one on top has a magazine, thus needs less reloading. Also, the muzzle shroud makes it less likely for a spree killer to burn his hands. The pistol grip makes it more comfortable for the spree killer to shoot. thaiboxerken
Quad4_72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2012, 08:24 AM   #65
Quad4_72
AI-EE-YAH!

Originally Posted by DGM View Post
This is the background picture on my phone. It's my son when he was 9.

http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/...9099517072.jpg

Noooooo! The horror! You have doomed him to grow up and become a mass killer. Obviously I am being sarcastic, but there are individuals on this very forum who actually believe that (Or something similar).
Looks like the one on top has a magazine, thus needs less reloading. Also, the muzzle shroud makes it less likely for a spree killer to burn his hands. The pistol grip makes it more comfortable for the spree killer to shoot. thaiboxerken
Quad4_72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2012, 08:48 AM   #66
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

Originally Posted by Quad4_72 View Post
Noooooo! The horror! You have doomed him to grow up and become a mass killer. Obviously I am being sarcastic, but there are individuals on this very forum who actually believe that (Or something similar).
I shoot competition air-pistols. I have a range in my backyard, many of my sons friends come here to shoot safely. I invite parents to join us and the local PD has always expressed support for my mini range. Anyone that shoots here knows there's no screwing around. Around here, drug use is far more of a problem then guns. These guys/girls know, if they're stoners, they are not welcome here. It really does keep these teenage kids out of trouble.

"Remember that the goal of conspiracy rhetoric is to bog down the discussion, not to make progress toward a solution" Jay Windley
DGM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2012, 08:56 AM   #67
Quad4_72
AI-EE-YAH!

Originally Posted by DGM View Post
I shoot competition air-pistols. I have a range in my backyard, many of my sons friends come here to shoot safely. I invite parents to join us and the local PD has always expressed support for my mini range. Anyone that shoots here knows there's no screwing around. Around here, drug use is far more of a problem then guns. These guys/girls know, if they're stoners, they are not welcome here. It really does keep these teenage kids out of trouble.
Not possible. Guns are made STRICTLY for killing. Didn't you hear?
Old 25th December 2012, 09:17 AM   #68
Charlie Wilkes
Illuminator

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
I hope everyone involved/witnessing said it never should have happened - if it the one I am pretty sure it was, a similar (but just adults involved) had ocurred some 3 weeks before or after this one - both IIRC involved unfamiliarity of how smgs on full auto will rise.
My recollection is that the people involved professed complete ignorance of the possibility that such a thing could happen.

The guy who was running the exhibit, a cop, was thereby acquitted of manslaughter.

The father of the child, a doctor, collected a settlement from the company that manufactured the gun.

I suppose the company neglected to put the appropriate label (WARNING: DO NOT HAND A MACHINE GUN TO AN 8-YEAR-OLD) on the product.

Typical gun nuts... experts on the safety and handling of firearms, until something bad happens.

A once-proud supporter of the 2d Amendment...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 300h.jpg (12.9 KB, 210 views)
Charlie Wilkes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2012, 11:22 AM   #69
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Justified? Where? I don't think so. And again, less anyone forget... I am not anti-gun.

I am anti nutters getting guns and I'm anti individuals stocking up for the end of the world or the zombie apocalypse.
I assure you I do not believe in the end of the world - I will be long gone before it actually happens - as will humanity unless we can find habitation elsewhere than Terra - as any near immediate threat. And I do not believe in zombies - though if such existed I know the easiest/most effective way to destroy them is shotguns with shells loaded with dried beef and rock salt. Either sends them back to their graves.

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2012, 11:45 AM   #70
Normal Dude
Space Shuttle Door Gunner

Meanwhile over ten thousand people each year (last I checked) die in the US due to alcohol-related accidents. Alcohol, a substance which is used for recreational purposes by the average person (the small amounts in medicine excepted), is a major factor in many deaths, and I'd bet the deaths of far more children than firearms are. I don't know the figures for the UK and Australia, but somehow I doubt it is an unsignificant number.

So where is the outrage for why this killer is still plentifully available? Where are the calls to ban it for recreational use? If we save the lives of even ten children from drivers who would have been otherwise drunk, wouldn't it have been worth it? I guess this isn't an easy target to villify any more, considering how many other people enjoy it, including someone other than those ignorant savage Americans.

I really, really hope that in your grief, that piling all this abuse and vitriol on people different from you makes you feel better. Because otherwise this behavior from what are otherwise reasonable, rational would drive me to despair. Happy holidays.

---

P.S. Before the usual political hacks here happily sharpen their knives and start cutting: I'm not a gun nut, or conservative, or even care about assault weapons.

And I dont care if your name is Norm or Jack, Or Dick. I dont see why you have to post your name everytime you make a comment./ its IRRELIVANT -Rwalsh

Last edited by Normal Dude; 25th December 2012 at 11:50 AM.
Normal Dude is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2012, 05:07 PM   #71
Quad4_72
AI-EE-YAH!

Originally Posted by Normal Dude View Post
Meanwhile over ten thousand people each year (last I checked) die in the US due to alcohol-related accidents. Alcohol, a substance which is used for recreational purposes by the average person (the small amounts in medicine excepted), is a major factor in many deaths, and I'd bet the deaths of far more children than firearms are. I don't know the figures for the UK and Australia, but somehow I doubt it is an unsignificant number.

So where is the outrage for why this killer is still plentifully available? Where are the calls to ban it for recreational use? If we save the lives of even ten children from drivers who would have been otherwise drunk, wouldn't it have been worth it? I guess this isn't an easy target to villify any more, considering how many other people enjoy it, including someone other than those ignorant savage Americans.

I really, really hope that in your grief, that piling all this abuse and vitriol on people different from you makes you feel better. Because otherwise this behavior from what are otherwise reasonable, rational would drive me to despair. Happy holidays.

---

P.S. Before the usual political hacks here happily sharpen their knives and start cutting: I'm not a gun nut, or conservative, or even care about assault weapons.
Your numbers are off. People dying of alcohol related deaths each year almost reaches 50,000
http://recoveryfirst.org/alcohol-rel...n-the-us.html/
Quote:
According to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, there are more than 23,000 deaths related to alcohol each year that are not traffic fatalities or homicides, and 14,406 of those are caused by alcoholic liver disease.(2) Adding these totals to just the total number of drunk driving fatalities alone and we can see that nearly 47,000 deaths occur as a result of these alcohol related causes alone.
That number does not account for homicides that were alcohol induced or fetal alcohol syndrome.
Old 25th December 2012, 05:19 PM   #72
JihadJane
Penultimate Satisfaction

We don't give a **** how they do it in Australia. Nor do we give a **** how Australians feel about our guns.
America, **** yeah!
We rool the world
coz we got guns.
**** yeah!
JihadJane is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2012, 05:57 PM   #73
hodgy
Muse

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
That photo is ridiculous. Everyone knows Santa needs no guns. He kills with Force lightning, or sometimes uses his lightsaber. Darth Santa has no need for the crude technological horrors of guns.
Santa doesn't need technology to take down his enemies - he use his Claws.
Old 25th December 2012, 10:47 PM   #74
triforcharity
Banned

Originally Posted by Charlie Wilkes View Post
Typical gun nuts... experts on the safety and handling of firearms, until something bad happens.
Typical gun haters. Always painting with broad brushes, and getting their bull **** everywhere it doesn't belong.
Old 25th December 2012, 10:50 PM   #75
triforcharity
Banned

Originally Posted by JihadJane View Post
America, **** yeah!
We rool the world
coz we got guns.
**** yeah!
Damn skippy! I'll go shooting, then drinkin' to that! Cheers!!

Oh, and just as a side not, I took my son shooting today, along with about a dozen other people. Had a blast, shot a bunch of cool guns, and even decimated a pumpkin! Bastard never saw it comin'!!

Oh, and nobody died, and nobody got hurt, and no crimes were committed.
Old 25th December 2012, 11:39 PM   #76
DC
Banned

who is we? many here seem to actually care how others have solved their problem.
DC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2012, 11:40 PM   #77
DC
Banned

Damn skippy! I'll go shooting, then drinkin' to that! Cheers!!

Oh, and just as a side not, I took my son shooting today, along with about a dozen other people. Had a blast, shot a bunch of cool guns, and even decimated a pumpkin! Bastard never saw it comin'!!

Oh, and nobody died, and nobody got hurt, and no crimes were committed.
i start to understand where the problem is with the US and their gun nutters. sick, just sick.
DC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th December 2012, 12:38 AM   #78
leftysergeant
Penultimate Amazing

Not a bad start.
Actually, the idea sucks. They should learn early on to take the weapon seriously. As long as the adult who hands that child a weapon knows what he is doing and teaches the child the safety and legal aspectsof ir, by all means, start educating the child. I will probably be taking my eldest grandson to the range when the weather turns nice in May. I taught my son to shoot at a much later age and he never really got much into rifles. Might have had somethng to do with starting out on a 91/30.
Old 26th December 2012, 12:43 AM   #79
MontagK505
Master Poster

I'll say it yet again, we banned the hammer in Australia and nobody has been nailed for 16 years.

And before somebody says "people have been murdered in Auatralia", I'm talking about mass murders by firearms.
Are people less dead if they are murdered at longer intervals rather than in batches?

How much has the murder rate improved in Australia?

Political correctness is linguistic Fascism. - P.D. James
MontagK505 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th December 2012, 01:29 AM   #80
four elevener
Master Poster

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post

I bet it's his laugh. With every chuckle, old-man breath spews out like yesterday's Indian food...but also magic.
four elevener is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events