ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy
 

Notices


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Closed Thread
Old 26th February 2013, 10:17 AM   #4761
RandFan
Mormon Atheist
 
RandFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 56,604
Originally Posted by Akuma Tennou View Post
Hmmm. Are you taking into account the church's leaders hypocrisy? I don't know that much about LDS, but from the experience you shared it seems LDS and jehovah's witnesses have a lot in common. While ambulance chasing is not an "official" guideline for their ministry, JWs are reminded quite often that it is indeed a productive shot. The "ensign" magazine looks quite like the LDS equivalent of the JW's "watchtower". The latter clearly gave more emphasis on how the loss of a loved one was a pain than on the joy of getting married or having a baby. Just a slight poke once in a while is enough, and if it's hidden it's even better. In the end, talking to experienced door-to-door proselytisers leaves no doubt as how the ambulance guideline is encroached in their mind without the proselytiser himself noticing it.
Understood. My biggest complaint is that a god would need marketing at all.
__________________
Ego, ain't it a bitch?

I think I'll reroute my trip
I wonder if they'd think I'd flipped.
If I went to LA, via Omaha.
RandFan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2013, 10:23 AM   #4762
RandFan
Mormon Atheist
 
RandFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 56,604
Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
Not even close. I've learned more from you and Empress than our own beloved Margaret Houlihan and B.J. Hunnicutt Janadele and skyrider44 could put on offer in a million-post thread. So if you don't mind, more questions for both of you.

First by way of background, were you, RandFan, raised through high school in southern California (specific location not important)?

Second, about the preparation, did anyone "fail" (or not complete) the prep class? At MTC, did anybody wash out? Did anyone get caught diddling the local Provo talent (of either gender) or, for that matter, other MTC attendees? What was your impression of your classmates there? First class folks or high school jocks who didn't know what to do.


Did you have any influence at all on where you went? For example, could you beg a post to Switzerland or Martinique? Do you know who really decided? Where did you personally want to go?

The Mickey Mouse connection could have two meanings. It's because Disney Land is in Orange County or it's because it was a plume piece of cake compared to other potential assignments. Or, I suppose, both.


Surely they didn't think a foreign language can be acquired in a month. Which languages did they teach?


Really? How much material did you have to commit to memory?

Empress, you said women could be missionaries if they wanted to. How many actually do? If they do, is that seen as a compliment or that they aren't doing their Mormon duty to start dropping kids? Also, at MTC are the sexes mixed or separate training? I presume in the field there was no mixed gender teams.

What about race and age? Are there many Asians? Blacks? Latinos? Is it only a young person's gig? Do people come to the MTC from around the world?

You also said families finance the whole gig? What about the less well off? Are there scholarships or grants or whatever it is called?

Lastly, thanks to both of you again. Your contributions are one of the few things that keep this whole boondoggle from being consigned to AAH.
I grew up in Utah and attended high school there. Yes, you could ask but you were not guaranteed. I understand a committee makes the decision but I don't know that for a fact. I wanted to stay stateside because I wanted baptisms. I was very happy to get Southern California. The missionaries gave the moniker to the mission simply because of Disneyland. I don't remember how much but it was a lot. At the MTC there was mixed training. I saved from my mission and I sold my prized possession to pay for it. I purchased a 1967 Camaro Super Sport and lovingly restored to prime condition. No bondo I only used led and I block sanded it for days. It was gorgeous and remains one of my biggest regrets. What I couldn't afford my family paid for. The church does supply funds for those who absolutely cannot afford it.

Think about it though, a sales force that pays its own way.
__________________
Ego, ain't it a bitch?

I think I'll reroute my trip
I wonder if they'd think I'd flipped.
If I went to LA, via Omaha.
RandFan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2013, 11:34 AM   #4763
DragonLady
Master Poster
 
DragonLady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,653
Quote:
I sold my prized possession to pay for it. I purchased a 1967 Camaro Super Sport and lovingly restored to prime condition.
Ouch.
__________________
http://www.troubador.co.uk/book_info.asp?bookid=2499

“She would be half a planet away, floating in a turquoise sea, dancing by moonlight to flamenco guitar.” ~ Janet Fitch

The Gweat and Tewwible Winged One
DragonLady is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2013, 03:04 PM   #4764
Akuma Tennou
Thinker
 
Akuma Tennou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 213
Originally Posted by RandFan View Post
Understood. My biggest complaint is that a god would need marketing at all.
Uuh, that was a real question Is there on the LDS church some sort of subliminal message that says "hurry and chase that ambulance!"? I'm not versed in LDS eschatology, so maybe there's not that much emphasis on grim subjects; but as Janadele likes to repeat how we'll all burn in hell…
__________________
"Karl Marx was right, socialism works, it is just that he had the wrong species" − E. O. Wilson
Akuma Tennou is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2013, 03:14 PM   #4765
RandFan
Mormon Atheist
 
RandFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 56,604
Originally Posted by Akuma Tennou View Post
Uuh, that was a real question Is there on the LDS church some sort of subliminal message that says "hurry and chase that ambulance!"? I'm not versed in LDS eschatology, so maybe there's not that much emphasis on grim subjects; but as Janadele likes to repeat how we'll all burn in hell…
I'm sorry I thought that I had made that clear before. In the MTC and the mission field we were told to meet with members and ask them questions like "do you know of anyone who has lost a loved one recently"?
__________________
Ego, ain't it a bitch?

I think I'll reroute my trip
I wonder if they'd think I'd flipped.
If I went to LA, via Omaha.
RandFan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2013, 04:14 PM   #4766
tsig
a carbon based life-form
 
tsig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 34,501
Originally Posted by RandFan View Post
I'm sorry I thought that I had made that clear before. In the MTC and the mission field we were told to meet with members and ask them questions like "do you know of anyone who has lost a loved one recently"?
Well, that sounds like a real ice breaker.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2013, 04:20 PM   #4767
RandFan
Mormon Atheist
 
RandFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 56,604
Originally Posted by tsig View Post
Well, that sounds like a real ice breaker.
It's a bit more involved than that. It was at the end of the meal, during casual conversation it would work like this, "Brother and Sister Jensen, as you know we rely on friendshiping and referrals from members for many of our potential converts. Do you know of anyone who has experienced a life changing event? Someone who just strarted college or just left home to move into a new appartment. Someone who was recently married, or had a baby or someone who is going through a divorce, lost their job or who has lost a loved on.

Something like that. I don't know if they still do it but I can tell you it worked when I was in the field.
__________________
Ego, ain't it a bitch?

I think I'll reroute my trip
I wonder if they'd think I'd flipped.
If I went to LA, via Omaha.
RandFan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2013, 04:39 PM   #4768
Marcus
Master Poster
 
Marcus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,029
My best friends 19 year old daughter has converted to Mormonism, she will be baptized next week. My friend,although still a Believer (Protestant) was raised Mormon , and is very aware of the ways Mormon belief contradicts reality, the false translations, horses and barley in America, JS's colorful con games, the real ancestry of Native Americans, etc.

The interesting thing is, when confronted with facts she easily verify (she's a college student) , her response is "that's just propaganda from anti-mormon sources". Sound familiar? I'm just wondering if this is part of the primary indoctrination.

RandFan, were you hammered with this meme?
Marcus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2013, 04:58 PM   #4769
abaddon
Philosopher
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,278
Originally Posted by RandFan View Post
I'm sorry I thought that I had made that clear before. In the MTC and the mission field we were told to meet with members and ask them questions like "do you know of anyone who has lost a loved one recently"?
Isn't that just a tad cynical?
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2013, 05:52 PM   #4770
bruto
Penultimate Amazing
 
bruto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 14,367
Originally Posted by halleyscomet View Post
I see no reason to trust Janadele to get this detail right. Her sons would not necessarily have a reason to tell her if they received such instruction. Even if she asked them point blank if they DID receive such instruction, there's no guarantee they would even remember it, or have thought enough of it at the time to take note of it.

Janadele's statements about what instruction her sons did or did not receive are hearsay at best, a second hand report.

I am tempted to suggest that she might be willing to deliberately misrepresent what instruction her sons received if she feels the truth casts Mormonism in a negative light. While such speculation is, in my view, a reasonable extrapolation of her previous comments, I see no reason to seriously consider duplicity where less sinister explanations suffice.

TL;DR

I give more weight to the first hand account than to the second hand hearsay.
Indeed, which is why I included that "if, in fact" part.
__________________
Sir, I have found you an argument; but I am not obliged to find you an understanding. (Samuel Johnson)

I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2013, 06:46 PM   #4771
RandFan
Mormon Atheist
 
RandFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 56,604
Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Isn't that just a tad cynical?
See post #4767. I don't know if and or how cynical it is. I don't want to be in the position of defending the Church. At the time it seemed compassionate. I actually met with people who lost loved ones. I met with people in hospitals and I spent the last dying hours with someone who had no family. I spent time with a man who was going to prison and provided him comfort when he was scared. It could be argued either way. I can tell you that I cared deeply for the people I worked with. You decide if it is cynical.
__________________
Ego, ain't it a bitch?

I think I'll reroute my trip
I wonder if they'd think I'd flipped.
If I went to LA, via Omaha.

Last edited by RandFan; 26th February 2013 at 06:48 PM.
RandFan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2013, 06:49 PM   #4772
RandFan
Mormon Atheist
 
RandFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 56,604
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
My best friends 19 year old daughter has converted to Mormonism, she will be baptized next week. My friend,although still a Believer (Protestant) was raised Mormon , and is very aware of the ways Mormon belief contradicts reality, the false translations, horses and barley in America, JS's colorful con games, the real ancestry of Native Americans, etc.

The interesting thing is, when confronted with facts she easily verify (she's a college student) , her response is "that's just propaganda from anti-mormon sources". Sound familiar? I'm just wondering if this is part of the primary indoctrination.

RandFan, were you hammered with this meme?
There is a persecution complex among Mormons. And to be sure there are some malicious people who are anti-Mormon. It's easy to see criticism as unfair persecution. The meme is common IMO.
__________________
Ego, ain't it a bitch?

I think I'll reroute my trip
I wonder if they'd think I'd flipped.
If I went to LA, via Omaha.
RandFan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2013, 07:54 PM   #4773
deaman
Philosopher
 
deaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6,155
For Mormons and Christians in general, I believe persecution is look upon as an honor, and a validation of one's faith.

The martyr syndrome.

Last edited by deaman; 26th February 2013 at 07:55 PM.
deaman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2013, 09:45 PM   #4774
SezMe
post-pre-born
 
SezMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 18,933
Seems to hold no small sway among modern day Muslims as well. It's probably true for other sects as well, we just don't hear that much about them in the western media.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 12:57 AM   #4775
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 6,137
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
The interesting thing is, when confronted with facts she easily verify (she's a college student) , her response is "that's just propaganda from anti-mormon sources". Sound familiar? I'm just wondering if this is part of the primary indoctrination.
I certainly got it all the time from the Mormon I debated on another board. It doesn't matter if the source of the information is an expert (archeologist, geneticist, historian) who never heard of the LDS, if the information contradicts LDS doctrine it's an anti-Mormon source.

The other thing they seem to be taught a standard response to is the question of why previously committed Mormons (complete with burning in the bosom testimony) leave the church. They're told it can only be because of personality clashes with other members etc, not because they eventually managed to work out for themselves that it's all nonsense.
__________________
"The correct scientific response to anything that is not understood is always to look harder for the explanation, not give up and assume a supernatural cause". David Attenborough.
Pixel42 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 05:31 AM   #4776
Marcus
Master Poster
 
Marcus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,029
I've seen this behavior among other Christian denominations as well. They have the advantage of relying on the unverifiable nature of events that happened 2,000 years ago though.

The problem LDS has is that they are so new. Smith's antics are recent enough to generate an extra aura of silliness. When you think about it a flying gold tablet or magic hat is probably no worse than a loaves to fishes transformation or a stroll over the water, many of us are just so used to hearing the latter claims that they've become almost ordinary.
Marcus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 07:08 AM   #4777
Pup
Illuminator
 
Pup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 4,767
Originally Posted by deaman View Post
For Mormons and Christians in general, I believe persecution is look upon as an honor, and a validation of one's faith.

The martyr syndrome.
There is, of course, explicit praise for martyrs in religion.

But I wonder if there's also some self-selection going on, which distorts the sample of religious people that skeptics interact with.

In other words, Mormons (or any Christians) who are cool with the martyr thing, are the ones who will interact most on the topic of religion with disbelievers. So they're the ones whom disbelievers engage with more often, when the topic is about flaws in religion.

The believers who aren't into martyrdom and dislike being insulted, are more apt to avoid confrontation and retreat to a live-and-let-live interaction on topics other than religion. Therefore, they're less apt to be noticed by skeptics, who wind up spending most of their time arguing with the subset of believers who do enjoy martyrdom.
Pup is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 09:28 AM   #4778
halleyscomet
Master Poster
 
halleyscomet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,495
Originally Posted by RandFan View Post
See post #4767. I don't know if and or how cynical it is. I don't want to be in the position of defending the Church. At the time it seemed compassionate. I actually met with people who lost loved ones. I met with people in hospitals and I spent the last dying hours with someone who had no family. I spent time with a man who was going to prison and provided him comfort when he was scared. It could be argued either way. I can tell you that I cared deeply for the people I worked with. You decide if it is cynical.
I think that's one reason Janadele claimed her sons received no such instruction. To the person receiving the instruction it won't necessarily feel like a cynical ploy to exploit the vulnerable, but a means of finding those in the most need. As Obi-Wan Kenobi said "It's all in your point of view." Manipulative actions can be easily depicted in a beneficial light.

Last edited by halleyscomet; 27th February 2013 at 09:30 AM.
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 09:57 AM   #4779
deaman
Philosopher
 
deaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6,155
Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
The other thing they seem to be taught a standard response to is the question of why previously committed Mormons (complete with burning in the bosom testimony) leave the church. They're told it can only be because of personality clashes with other members etc, not because they eventually managed to work out for themselves that it's all nonsense.
It seems more marketable for them if they say the former members, "lost the spirit", rather than, they "saw through the BS" and "figured out it was a con game". But, reality is, they actually believe the con, themselves

In mormonism there is such a thing as Temple Marriage, It is a marriage "for all time and eternity", as opposed to "until death do us part". Imagine my amazment to find that there are many who are married in the temple, yet later divorce just like normal marriages.

Did god get it wrong?

Last edited by deaman; 27th February 2013 at 10:00 AM.
deaman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 10:02 AM   #4780
deaman
Philosopher
 
deaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6,155
Originally Posted by Pup View Post
There is, of course, explicit praise for martyrs in religion.

But I wonder if there's also some self-selection going on, which distorts the sample of religious people that skeptics interact with.

In other words, Mormons (or any Christians) who are cool with the martyr thing, are the ones who will interact most on the topic of religion with disbelievers. So they're the ones whom disbelievers engage with more often, when the topic is about flaws in religion.

The believers who aren't into martyrdom and dislike being insulted, are more apt to avoid confrontation and retreat to a live-and-let-live interaction on topics other than religion. Therefore, they're less apt to be noticed by skeptics, who wind up spending most of their time arguing with the subset of believers who do enjoy martyrdom.
What I hear you saying is that people who have this kind of martyr syndrome, would have it whether they were religious or not. It has to do with the absence of self-esteem of the person. It is the actions of a person in need of validation.
deaman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 10:22 AM   #4781
Pup
Illuminator
 
Pup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 4,767
Originally Posted by deaman View Post
What I hear you saying is that people who have this kind of martyr syndrome, would have it whether they were religious or not. It has to do with the absence of self-esteem of the person. It is the actions of a person in need of validation.
Yes, that's a good point. And of course the martyr syndrome can appear in lots of places unconnected to religion, from the "99%" who complain about being helplessly exploited by banks and Wall Street, to disgruntled spouses or ex-spouses always complaining about their partners or ex-partners.

And, of course, in those cases too, it's the ones who continually revel in their problems who are most apt to stand out and be noticed, while others just quietly make the best of things, or seek attention long enough to get help with their problems and then move on.
Pup is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 10:25 AM   #4782
Empress
Piggish
 
Empress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,124
Originally Posted by deaman View Post
It seems more marketable for them if they say the former members, "lost the spirit", rather than, they "saw through the BS" and "figured out it was a con game". But, reality is, they actually believe the con, themselves

In mormonism there is such a thing as Temple Marriage, It is a marriage "for all time and eternity", as opposed to "until death do us part". Imagine my amazment to find that there are many who are married in the temple, yet later divorce just like normal marriages.

Did god get it wrong?
In my experience, divorce has always been seen as fairly benign in the Mormon culture, so long as it's strictly a civil divorce. It's only a temple divorce that's a problem, and IIRC the temple divorce is a long and time-consuming process. Also, just because you apply for one, doesn't mean that you'll receive one. So many couples just get divorced civilly, and you end up with the odd situation where a man will be married in the temple to both his ex-wife/wives and his current wife.

Of course, a woman cannot be sealed to more than one man, so if she wants to be re-married in the temple, she must be granted a temple divorce before this can happen. Or she can just marry civilly and forget the temple marriage. She'd still be married to her first husband by temple standards.

I believe the rate of divorce among Mormons is roughly equivalent to the non-Mormon population, but the rate of temple divorce is only about 6%.
__________________
One prefers, of course, on all occasions to be stainless and above reproach, but, failing that, the next best thing is unquestionably to have got rid of the body.
― P.G. Wodehouse
Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 11:28 AM   #4783
halleyscomet
Master Poster
 
halleyscomet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,495
Talking

http://www.reddit.com/r/atheism/comm..._boys_stop_me/

Quote:
So I was walking home after work, and two Mormon missionaries asked if they could talk to me about the Book of Mormon.

Me: You don't want to talk to me.

Bike Boy 1: Why not?

Me: (counting off on my fingers)
• Your entire religion is based on the sayings of an illiterate convicted con-artist.

• There is no evidence for the existence of the 'golden plates' except for the word of an illiterate convicted con-artist, who fled west to avoid prosecution.

• Molecular genetic evidence has refuted the Mormon claim that the American Indians were the 'lost tribe of Israel'.

• Many of the dogmas of your religion were created by your illiterate convicted con-man founder for his own personal gain.

• I find the actions of your church and members during the California Prop 8 campaign to be totally reprehensible, not to mention unconstitutional and illegal.

Bike Boy 2 : (muttered under his breath) Oh ****.

Bike Boy 1 : Um...those are...um...well...

Me: Told ya. (starts walking away)

Bike Boy 2 : At least he didn't start screaming at us.

I know, it's not the greatest story, but I enjoyed it.
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 01:14 PM   #4784
Craig4
Philosopher
 
Craig4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Reston, Virginia
Posts: 8,017
Originally Posted by halleyscomet View Post
Not to take away from you accomplishment, but this happens a few times a day to the missionaries working the Metro stops going into Washington DC. Maybe they shouldn't stake out the same stops used by the archaeologists and historians who work at the Smithsonian.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 01:36 PM   #4785
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 26,141
Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Not to take away from you accomplishment, but this happens a few times a day to the missionaries working the Metro stops going into Washington DC. Maybe they shouldn't stake out the same stops used by the archaeologists and historians who work at the Smithsonian.
That must be a beautiful thing to see.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 01:37 PM   #4786
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 26,141
Originally Posted by RandFan View Post
I'm sorry I thought that I had made that clear before. In the MTC and the mission field we were told to meet with members and ask them questions like "do you know of anyone who has lost a loved one recently"?
That kind of thinking got the LDS in real trouble a few years ago when they begun baptizing Holocaust Victims without getting the relatives permission.......
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 01:51 PM   #4787
halleyscomet
Master Poster
 
halleyscomet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,495
Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Not to take away from you accomplishment, but this happens a few times a day to the missionaries working the Metro stops going into Washington DC. Maybe they shouldn't stake out the same stops used by the archaeologists and historians who work at the Smithsonian.
A point of clarification. I did not write the account, I am merely passing it along.
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 01:55 PM   #4788
Craig4
Philosopher
 
Craig4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Reston, Virginia
Posts: 8,017
Originally Posted by halleyscomet View Post
A point of clarification. I did not write the account, I am merely passing it along.
It's okay, I'm just remembering a few fun anecdotes. When I posted that I'd been drinking.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 01:59 PM   #4789
halleyscomet
Master Poster
 
halleyscomet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,495
Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
It's okay, I'm just remembering a few fun anecdotes. When I posted that I'd been drinking.
That reminds me of a joke.

Q: Why should you always take two Mormons when you go fishing?
A: Because if you only take one, he'll drink all your beer.
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 02:02 PM   #4790
Craig4
Philosopher
 
Craig4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Reston, Virginia
Posts: 8,017
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
That must be a beautiful thing to see.
It has it's moments. Why you'd think it is worthwhile to engage a DC commuter in a deep philosophical discussion is beyond me. We pretty much all think the country will collapse if we don't get to work on time or will KILL anyone who gets in the way of us returning to our homes at a decent hour in the evening. I hope the LDS only send the bravest of the brave to DC to work the Metro stops.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 02:39 PM   #4791
RandFan
Mormon Atheist
 
RandFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 56,604
Originally Posted by halleyscomet View Post
That reminds me of a joke.

Q: Why should you always take two Mormons when you go fishing?
A: Because if you only take one, he'll drink all your beer.
It's been done in this thread. But it is a great joke.
__________________
Ego, ain't it a bitch?

I think I'll reroute my trip
I wonder if they'd think I'd flipped.
If I went to LA, via Omaha.
RandFan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 02:41 PM   #4792
Craig4
Philosopher
 
Craig4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Reston, Virginia
Posts: 8,017
Originally Posted by RandFan View Post
It's been done in this thread. But it is a great joke.
We laugh because it's funny and we laugh because it's true.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 02:46 PM   #4793
halleyscomet
Master Poster
 
halleyscomet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,495
It occurs to me that a "Black Russian" has got to be one of the most evil things in the universe to a Mormon. It has alcohol in the form of a coffee liquor AND the name references a dark skinned person.
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 03:22 PM   #4794
SezMe
post-pre-born
 
SezMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 18,933
Darn good thing its not a "Negro Russian".
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 03:33 PM   #4795
RandFan
Mormon Atheist
 
RandFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 56,604
Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
Darn good thing its not a "Negro Russian".
It would require a church leader to be sure.
__________________
Ego, ain't it a bitch?

I think I'll reroute my trip
I wonder if they'd think I'd flipped.
If I went to LA, via Omaha.
RandFan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 03:42 PM   #4796
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy
 
Slowvehicle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: ...not where I seemed, nor was calculated to be...but no-one need worry...
Posts: 9,956
Originally Posted by RandFan View Post
It would require a church leader to be sure.
I see what you did there...
__________________
"If you find somebody to love in this world, you better hang on tooth and nail--The wolf is always at the door..." -Don Henley
"Justice is often messy, slow, expensive and inconvenient. Tyranny is quicker and cheaper and theocracy neat as a pin, but it's a poor bargain for those not on the winning side of the day."-bruto
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 03:44 PM   #4797
deaman
Philosopher
 
deaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6,155
Originally Posted by RandFan View Post
It would require a church leader to be sure.
LOL!!!

Ok, I keep seeing this reference about the definition of the word "negro", and the Mormon Church.

I understand about the racism inherent in the BoM, and the fact that fair skinned people are supposed to be delightsome, before the lord. But, what gives here? Why would you need a church leader to tell you if someone is a negro?

Thanks in advance.
deaman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 03:47 PM   #4798
Empress
Piggish
 
Empress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,124
Originally Posted by deaman View Post
LOL!!!

Ok, I keep seeing this reference about the definition of the word "negro", and the Mormon Church.

I understand about the racism inherent in the BoM, and the fact that fair skinned people are supposed to be delightsome, before the lord. But, what gives here? Why would you need a church leader to tell you if someone is a negro?

Thanks in advance.
It's a reference to an earlier drift in the thread where Janadele talked about Negros not being able to hold the priesthood in the past, but when asked specifically could not or refused to, explain what "Negro" meant. She claimed it's not skin color, or African heritage. Eventually it seemed to come down to the church leaders could tell 'em when they see 'em.
__________________
One prefers, of course, on all occasions to be stainless and above reproach, but, failing that, the next best thing is unquestionably to have got rid of the body.
― P.G. Wodehouse
Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 03:52 PM   #4799
deaman
Philosopher
 
deaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6,155
Originally Posted by Empress View Post
It's a reference to an earlier drift in the thread where Janadele talked about Negros not being able to hold the priesthood in the past, but when asked specifically could not or refused to, explain what "Negro" meant. She claimed it's not skin color, or African heritage. Eventually it seemed to come down to the church leaders could tell 'em when they see 'em.
We all probably know how the word "******" is used today among younger blacks, and other races as well. But, I also know that the term ******, or niggardly discribes someone who is stingy, or miserly.

I don't suppose that's what the mormons mean, though.

EDIT: Hmm, interesting. I guess the JREF finds the N-word offensive.

Last edited by deaman; 27th February 2013 at 05:13 PM.
deaman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 03:57 PM   #4800
Empress
Piggish
 
Empress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,124
Originally Posted by deaman View Post
We all probably know how the word "******" is used today among younger blacks, and other races as well. But, I also know that the term ******, or niggardly is someone who is stingy or miserly.

I don't suppose that's what the mormons mean, though.
Mormons specifically meant black people when they referred to Negros. There were several quotations from different prophets that made it clear beyond all reasonable doubt that from Brigham Young's leadership until the 1970s, black men could not hold the priesthood, and that the "skin of blackness" was a curse from god. But Janadele refused to admit it, no matter how much evidence was posted.

Behold the power of religious denial.
__________________
One prefers, of course, on all occasions to be stainless and above reproach, but, failing that, the next best thing is unquestionably to have got rid of the body.
― P.G. Wodehouse
Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:51 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.