ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Closed Thread
Old 27th December 2012, 10:33 PM   #121
AdMan
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Janadele View Post
Bikewer,AdMan, JeanFromBNA, Hud: Regurgitated anti Mormon lies and misleading false propaganda is not on topic to an LDS thread.

Posting about the LDS and the obvious lies and nonsense it is spreading is on topic in a thread about Mormonism.

If you feel any posts are off topic, feel free to report them.

Otherwise, respond to the posts or admit you can't do it.

Mormonism is quite obviously made-up BS. Nobody who looks at this religion with a genuinely critical eye can conclude otherwise.

Last edited by AdMan; 27th December 2012 at 10:34 PM.
AdMan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th December 2012, 10:38 PM   #122
RandFan
Mormon Atheist

Bikewer,AdMan, JeanFromBNA, Hud: Regurgitated anti Mormon lies and misleading false propaganda is not on topic to an LDS thread.
Please be specific. What lies? I'm sorry Janadele but simply asserting that they are lies is fallacy.

You are entitled to your beliefs and I'm perfectly happy to respect them. But this is a skeptics site. You should expect criticisms and arguments against Mormonism.

I think I'll reroute my trip
I wonder if they'd think I'd flipped.
If I went to LA, via Omaha.
RandFan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th December 2012, 10:57 PM   #123
Craig4
Philosopher

How could pointing out to blatantly obvious and fraudulent nature of the belief system not be on topic?
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th December 2012, 11:01 PM   #124
Janadele
Master Poster

Lightbulb

Discussions of actual LDS beliefs is fine... but posting nonsense as being LDS when it is not LDS is not. I do not respond to anti Mormon propaganda. This is my choice and my right. Insults, bullying, and rude demands will not influence nor change my decision to not engage in pointless arguments or discussion on material which is false, misleading garbage. Whereas I will respond to genuine questions or criticisms of actual LDS beliefs.
Janadele is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th December 2012, 11:03 PM   #125
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by AdMan View Post
Posting about the LDS and the obvious lies and nonsense it is spreading is on topic in a thread about Mormonism.

If you feel any posts are off topic, feel free to report them.

Mormonism is quite obviously made-up BS. Nobody who looks at this religion with a genuinely critical eye can conclude otherwise.
I don't think it's an issue of being on or off topic. The question is whether the named posters describe actual Mormon practices and beliefs, which Janadele says they do not. I imagine that if she is wrong about this it should not be hard to find some better references. I suspect, for example, that Bikewer's history is closer to fact than current believers would care to admit. But otherwise, since we are pretty well agreed that it is all made up BS, one need not embellish it. Janadele has stepped unarmed into the lions' den as it is. There's enough to go around.

I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th December 2012, 11:03 PM   #126
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
I call troll, or idiot.. or both.
I wondered how long it would be before Janadele decided to go full-troll. Previously, he or she had just popped out faux-naif statements on other threads. I think most of them were ignored and probably it would be worth doing here as well.

I mean, "Janadele" could be some beer-guzzling Aussie sitting in his grundies laughing his arse off at the responses he gets.
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th December 2012, 11:06 PM   #127
RandFan
Mormon Atheist

I don't find Janadele to be a troll. I'll concede I've not engaged with her until recently but, IMO, her behavior isn't trollish.

RandFan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th December 2012, 11:06 PM   #128
AdMan
Philosopher

Discussions of actual LDS beliefs is fine... but posting nonsense as being LDS when it is not LDS is not. I do not respond to anti Mormon propaganda. This is my choice and my right. Insults, bullying, and rude demands will not influence nor change my decision to not engage in pointless arguments or discussion on material which is false, misleading garbage. Whereas I will respond to genuine questions or criticisms of actual LDS beliefs.

Janadele, maybe you can start by helping clear up some of these supposed absurdities--I am sure you know The Book of Mormon better than the authors of this site and can help enlighten both us and them:

Absurdity in the Book of Mormon

If you feel this is "false, miselading garbage," I and I am sure other members would appreciate some clarification as to why you think that is the case, as I believe many of these are direct quotes.

Last edited by AdMan; 27th December 2012 at 11:20 PM.
AdMan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th December 2012, 11:08 PM   #129
RandFan
Mormon Atheist

You can put people on ignore if you like. Just click on their user name and a drop down menu will appear with the option to put the person on ignore.

Old 27th December 2012, 11:22 PM   #130
ShadowSot
Muse

Janadele, maybe you can start by helping clear up some of these supposed absurdities--I am sure you know The Book of Mormon better than the authors of this site and can help enlighten both us and them:

Absurdity in the Book of Mormon

If you feel this is "false, miselading garbage," I and I am sure other members would appreciate some clarification as to why you think that is the case, as I believe many of these are direct quotes.
Based on past history, she will not address his at all. Either she will direct you to the LDS website or simply dismiss this as devil work.

I don't think she's a troll, just someone who has bought in full the story told by the Mormon Church.
ShadowSot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th December 2012, 11:23 PM   #131
Joey McGee
Transcendental Naturalist

Whereas I will respond to genuine questions or criticisms of actual LDS beliefs.
Then go on exmormon with your current handle, we'll watch from here.

Oooh way too easy to dodge the documentation he was convicted wasn't it. Whoosh. Yeah, "the devil did it" you're not engaged in the slightest.

Last edited by Joey McGee; 27th December 2012 at 11:25 PM.
Joey McGee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th December 2012, 11:27 PM   #132
AdMan
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ShadowSot View Post
Based on past history, she will not address his at all. Either she will direct you to the LDS website or simply dismiss this as devil work.

I don't think she's a troll, just someone who has bought in full the story told by the Mormon Church.

Interesting. I've heard of her posting at other skeptics' fora where apparently she has a history, but I don't know much more than that. I wonder what she's hoping to achieve.
Old 27th December 2012, 11:28 PM   #133
Pup
Illuminator

As we progress in our understanding more enlightenment is given. That does not mean eternal principles change. We will always be the same gender, which will always be the gender of our Spirit and our Intelligence also. These eternal truths do not change.
If someone names a behavior that's currently forbidden by God, apparently you have a way of knowing whether it's an unchanging eternal principle, or something that could be changed by revelation.

How does one know? What's the scriptural basis that one can use to separate things into those categories?

One can't rely on personal knowledge about God to answer that kind of question, because according to LDS beliefs, an individual can only receive guidance or revelation from God for what they have stewardship over, not for the entire church. So if an individual member says that God will never give a revelation changing X, all it takes is for the prophet to say, he just did, to trump the individual's opinion.

So if one can say what things could be changed with revelation, and what couldn't, there must be a scriptural basis to categorize them.

One of the main condemnations of homosexual behavior in the Bible is in Leviticus, the same book as the prohibitions against eating pork and numerous other things that have changed.

Last edited by Pup; 27th December 2012 at 11:31 PM.
Pup is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th December 2012, 11:34 PM   #134
Janadele
Master Poster

Wake up Joey and AdMan. I have no interest in logging in to those sites
Janadele is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th December 2012, 11:41 PM   #135
Dinwar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Janadele
I do not respond to anti Mormon propaganda. This is my choice and my right.
True. It also defeats your purpose, however. After all, ignoring those statements you assume to be anti-Mormon propaganda merely tells us YOU think it's propaganda. It doesn't actually debunk the arguments.

Quote:
Insults, bullying, and rude demands will not influence nor change my decision to not engage in pointless arguments or discussion on material which is false, misleading garbage.
Apparently polite requests also get ignored. You've not yet responded to a single thing I've posted.

Quote:
Whereas I will respond to genuine questions or criticisms of actual LDS beliefs.
Demonstrably untrue. You've yet to respond to my genuine and polite questions and criticisms. I'm sorry, but that's the plane truth of the matter.

Quote:
Why not? If they're propaganda you should be able to refute them easily.

I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.
Dinwar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th December 2012, 11:43 PM   #136
AdMan
Philosopher

Why not? The site I linked to points out apparent absurdities in The Book of Mormon, which if you won't want to visit, a lot of other people will.

Why don't you want to visit the link? If you think they are spreading obvious lies about the LDS, couldn't they be easily debunked?

It seems to me like you are purposely closing your eyes to any criticism of your beliefs. Is that the case? Then why are you in a skeptics' forum?
Old 27th December 2012, 11:54 PM   #137
Morrigan
Crone of War

Why did you have any interest in coming here?
curi0us Many kids grow up in environments where if the worse thing they had to deal with was a pervy gym teacher wanting to **** them they would considere themselves to be privileged and living the good life.
bigred homophobes are not nearly as widespread or common as the oh-woe-are-the-poor-oppressed-gays whiners would have you believe.
Morrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th December 2012, 12:04 AM   #138
RandFan
Mormon Atheist

Interesting. I've heard of her posting at other skeptics' fora where apparently she has a history, but I don't know much more than that. I wonder what she's hoping to achieve.
She probably believes that she is countering propaganda and lies. Folks, I was her. I spent two years debating with people trying to save them. Plus after my mission I spent many years trying counter lies and propaganda against Mormonism.

Old 28th December 2012, 12:07 AM   #139
AdMan
Philosopher

Originally Posted by RandFan View Post
She probably believes that she is countering propaganda and lies. Folks, I was her. I spent two years debating with people trying to save them. Plus after my mission I spent many years trying counter lies and propaganda against Mormonism.
Is this a mission that the church instills in you, or did you decide on it yourself? Just curious.
Old 28th December 2012, 12:11 AM   #140
Joey McGee

a) you fail to address the documentation proving his conviction beyond claiming the devil did it.

b) You won't argue some of the experts in debunking your cult, but you will engage in apologia here? No, you're either a Poe or a coward.
Old 28th December 2012, 12:14 AM   #141
Andrew Wiggin
Master Poster

I don't think she's a troll, just someone who has bought in full the CURRENT story told by the Mormon Church.

Fixed that for you. In discussing moronism with the mormons who come around to the door, my experience has been that they receive a very whitewashed version of their own history, and are poorly prepared to answer questions about the actual historic practices of their church beyond stating that whatever this year's version says is how it's always been, back to the very beginning of time. Janadele is not going to be able to discuss such things as the her religion's opinion of the subhuman nature of the african race, the ethics of the Mountain Meadows Massacre, the plagiarism in the book of mormon, the frauds and crimes perpetrated by the founder, the planet where god lives, how many wives a man should take, or any other issue of her religion's history because all she's heard on those matters are lies and she's both ignorant of any proper history and unwilling to expose herself to information that might conflict with what she already 'knows'.

TLDR: Just another ignorant dogmatist.

"New and stirring things are belittled because if they are not belittled,
the humiliating question arises, 'Why then are you not taking part in
them?' " - H. G. Wells
Andrew Wiggin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th December 2012, 12:17 AM   #142
RandFan
Mormon Atheist

Is this a mission that the church instills in you, or did you decide on it yourself? Just curious.
Oh, that's a great question. Well, there's no question that the church inculcates the idea of going on a mission. Parent's and peers put a lot of pressure to go. I've known people who went who didn't believe because to refuse to go would cause a lot of trouble. Some kids are promised college financial help if they go on missions. I went because I wanted to. I'm sure I wanted to in large part because of a lifetime of indoctrination. But I was a true believer and I was excited to go. When the Church changed the length of missions while I was out and I had the choice to go home after 18 months and I chose to say.

Old 28th December 2012, 12:18 AM   #143
ShadowSot
Muse

Originally Posted by Andrew Wiggin View Post
Fixed that for you. In discussing moronism with the mormons who come around to the door, my experience has been that they receive a very whitewashed version of their own history, and are poorly prepared to answer questions about the actual historic practices of their church beyond stating that whatever this year's version says is how it's always been, back to the very beginning of time. Janadele is not going to be able to discuss such things as the her religion's opinion of the subhuman nature of the african race, the ethics of the Mountain Meadows Massacre, the plagiarism in the book of mormon, the frauds and crimes perpetrated by the founder, the planet where god lives, how many wives a man should take, or any other issue of her religion's history because all she's heard on those matters are lies and she's both ignorant of any proper history and unwilling to expose herself to information that might conflict with what she already 'knows'.

TLDR: Just another ignorant dogmatist.
Fair point, and well matches what I've seen of her posting style.
I'd further add she seems to enjoy the martyr position.
ShadowSot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th December 2012, 12:22 AM   #144
Janadele
Master Poster

Really ? Seems to me you are describing yourself.
Just another ignorant dogmatist.
Old 28th December 2012, 12:29 AM   #145
ShadowSot
Muse

Oh excellent debating technique, points off however as you've already used that line. Tell you what, next time make some insulting insinuations against his mother.
Old 28th December 2012, 12:30 AM   #146
Janadele
Master Poster

No.
Old 28th December 2012, 12:39 AM   #147
ShadowSot
Muse

No.
Oh come now, surely you can do something better than parrot facts and "I'm rubber, your glue, neener neener?"

Oh wait, there's the dismissing everything else as being the work of the devil.
See... that's just not going to work at all. You need to do something else.
Old 28th December 2012, 12:56 AM   #148
Andrew Wiggin
Master Poster

OK, you deserve a fair chance... Prove it. Say something that isn't ignorant, dogmatic, or both. Hint; the above wasn't it.

them?' " - H. G. Wells
Andrew Wiggin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th December 2012, 01:01 AM   #149
Andrew Wiggin
Master Poster

Oh excellent debating technique, points off however as you've already used that line. Tell you what, next time make some insulting insinuations against his mother.
Good on you. That always works. I'll surely find god if reminded that my mother was a hamster and my father smelt of elderberries.

them?' " - H. G. Wells
Old 28th December 2012, 01:02 AM   #150
angrysoba
Philosophile

I don't find Janadele to be a troll. I'll concede I've not engaged with her until recently but, IMO, her behavior isn't trollish.
Yeah, you're probably right. I have debated with Jehovah's Witnesses who often say give the same "I refer you to the dogma of XYZ" as their answer to questions or arguments that are about the very dogma of XYZ.

Me: "How can I trust the accuracy of this Biblical source?"
JW: "Because the Bible tells us it is the Word of the Lord." etc...

Interestingly, the Mormon missionaries I meet here in Japan have never tried to overtly proselytize to me but have generally been friendly and polite. Is that because they are also asked to try to raise the image of the Church or could it be that most of them just happen to be nice people?

However, this kind of thing is the type of thing I am talking about:

Gender is an eternal characteristic. There is no negotiation on the gender of our Spirit. To abide by Eternal Law celibacy is the only option if for some genuine reason the gender of the Spirit is unknown.
To begin with, this is contradicted by biological evidence. There is a large body of work to support the idea that even if we have a spirit, we as individuals have contradictory perceptions.

Split brain with one half atheist and one half theist

What gender is the spirit of a hermaphrodite or a person with Klinefelter syndrome?
Rand, the previous post to which you refer is the answer.
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th December 2012, 03:20 AM   #151
Janadele
Master Poster

Lightbulb

In that you are correct, it was not. But neither were the opposing posts.

As I consider my earlier previous posts were worthwhile, and you do not, then what is the point ?

OK, you deserve a fair chance... Prove it. Say something that isn't ignorant, dogmatic, or both. Hint; the above wasn't it.
Old 28th December 2012, 03:46 AM   #152
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

As I consider my earlier previous posts were worthwhile, and you do not, then what is the point ?
As far as I can see, there is no point to this thread.

The problem is that you're talking to people who think beliefs need to be justified, especially when they contradict established scientific fact as a lot of Mormon beliefs do.

If the only way you can justify your beliefs is to quote official LDS doctrine which simply asserts that they are true then there is no prospect of any kind of meaningful discussion with people whose own research has convinced them that that official doctrine is childish made up nonsense.

Last edited by Pixel42; 28th December 2012 at 03:48 AM.
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th December 2012, 03:46 AM   #153
Janadele
Master Poster

No that is not the plain truth of the matter... fact is I would have to write a book to do so. Keep to one single topic at a time
Originally Posted by Dinwar View Post
Apparently polite requests also get ignored. You've not yet responded to a single thing I've posted... I'm sorry, but that's the plane truth of the matter.
Old 28th December 2012, 04:15 AM   #154
dafydd
Banned

The proof is within you.

Intelligence, or the light of truth was not created nor made. The elements are eternal. All that exists has always existed without a beginning.
One who organizes materials in a completely new way, by organizing the existing matter available, is a creator.

The creation was twofold—first spiritual, secondly temporal.

The glory of God is intelligence. We were all at different stages of progression in our pre mortal existence, and of graded intelligences. The veil which cloaks our rememberances allows recognition of the truths we knew and also understanding of Eternal Laws... if we will listen.
Sanctimonious gibberish

Quote:
When I said proof, I meant real proof, not a work of fiction.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th December 2012, 04:18 AM   #155
dafydd
Banned

Here is a genuine question. Do you believe that the Hindu gods exist? The Hindus have their holy books too.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th December 2012, 04:19 AM   #156
Craig4
Philosopher

I don't understand. Everything you believe about your faith is a lie. How could pointing out those lies to you be off topic? You can't possibly expect that here, in this forum we would do anything else.

Or perhaps you'd care to prove that there was cultivated barely in pre-Columbian America.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th December 2012, 05:05 AM   #157
Janadele
Master Poster

Actual LDS beliefs and teachings are not off topic... obviously.
Fabrications are.
Old 28th December 2012, 05:09 AM   #158
Aepervius
Philosopher

I disagree. Anyone who follows the teaching of Christ, IMO, are free to all themselves Christian. We've debated this many times. I find it a bit of a no true Scotsman to accuse Mormons of not being Christians.

We can disagree though.
In fact most christian are "paulinist" .

Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th December 2012, 05:38 AM   #159
ArchieGoodwin
Muse

Actually I asked a question more about politics than the religion, because I am mostly ignorant about LDS beliefs. You really could have answered it any way you wanted to. Not sure why you would label it "lies" or "propaganda."

If you feel any posts are off topic, feel free to report them

(bolding mine)

The OP was so vague and wide open it seemed to me that any questions related to Mormonism were welcome. Apparently that's not the case.
ArchieGoodwin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th December 2012, 05:40 AM   #160
Joey McGee

Actual LDS beliefs and teachings are not off topic... obviously.
Fabrications are.
Yeah, it's pretty obvious that when it can be proved Smith fabricated the entire thing you consider that off-topic. You're one step away from spam here.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy