ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Closed Thread
Old 29th December 2012, 08:26 AM   #321
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

Location: ...not where I seemed, nor was calculated to be...but no-one need worry...
Originally Posted by Janadele View Post
Nonsense. Copying lists from anti-Mormon sites and then expecting me to spend my time researching their claims, will not work. I have better things to do with my time. No doubt there are apologists who have already refuted their lists, over and over and over again... look them up.
Nonsense.
Post #167? Those claims are from your book. Be so good as to explain them.

I have done the research. I want to know your take on the inaccuracies.

...or are you claiming that The Book of Mormon is an "anti-mormon site?

(BTW: the "quote" function helps make it cleas to whom you are addressing your posts...)
Old 29th December 2012, 08:38 AM   #322
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Nonsense. Copying lists from anti-Mormon sites and then expecting me to spend my time researching their claims, will not work. I have better things to do with my time. No doubt there are apologists who have already refuted their lists, over and over and over again... look them up.
Hand-waving doesn't make them go away, sorry. This isn't copied from some anti-Mormon site; I read the BoM itself. It mentions animals (like horses) and technology (like steel) that simply didn't exist in the American continent at the time. There's no getting away from that simple fact.
Old 29th December 2012, 08:38 AM   #323
Cleon
King of the Pod People

You will need to enquire elsewhere for information on the Community of Christ. It is not my interest to discuss or criticise other denominations.
I'm looking for a compare/contrast. CoC and LDS both look to the Book of Mormon. Why is LDS correct, and CoC incorrect?
Old 29th December 2012, 08:46 AM   #324
Janadele
Master Poster

What inaccuracies? Whatever is in the Book of Mormon is fact. It is Scripture.

So are you saying that you did not copy lists from anti-Mormon sites, but that instead you yourself read the Book of Mormon and isolated these quotes and researched yourself to prove that they were inaccurate?

How did you do such research? You were not living at that time and place in mortality. You may well have witnessed as a pre mortal spirit, but then you have no memory of that time.
Janadele is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th December 2012, 08:47 AM   #325
Agatha
Winking at the Moon

It's not anti-Mormon to point out that there are errors of fact contained within the book of Mormon. Nobody is saying you should not believe, if that's what you choose.

What we are asking is your position on these errors, such as the mention of a compass 1800 years before the compass was invented, or cows and horses being in the Americas 2000 years before they were actually brought there. There's a list of quotes from the Book of Mormon in this post. http://www.internationalskeptics.com...93#post8876193

Do you claim that the book of Mormon is right, and historians/biologists/physicists/archaeologists (etc) all round the world are wrong, or do you accept that there are errors in the book of Mormon? If you do accept that there are clear errors of fact, how do you rationalise these with your faith?

Asking questions and pointing out errors is not anti-Mormon and it's not anti-faith. You came here to talk to people about your faith, nobody forced you to come here. We've done you the courtesy of listening, so now please return the same courtesy and explain your faith instead of running away from the questions.
Old 29th December 2012, 08:50 AM   #326
sackett
Illuminator

Do you sorta get the feeling that Janadele has never read the entire Book of Mormon? Few have; certainly I never kept awake past the 100th. And it came to pass.

Here's a title I'm pretty damn sure she's never cracked: No Man Knows My History, by Shawn Brodie. It's a cracking fine bio of Joe Smith, written by a Mormon.

That's right, Janadele: I dare ya!
Old 29th December 2012, 08:52 AM   #327
Cleon
King of the Pod People

What inaccuracies?
As said before: Horses, chariots, steel, compasses, etc.

Quote:
Whatever is in the Book of Mormon is fact. It is Scripture.

So are you saying that you did not copy lists from anti-Mormon sites,
I've don't recall ever actually having visited an anti-Mormon site, believe it or not.

Quote:
but that instead you yourself read the Book of Mormon and isolated these quotes and researched yourself to prove that they were inaccurate?
Other way around. I studied North American archaeology and ethnohistory prior to reading the BoM. By the time I was through I Nephi it was obvious to me that the book was anything but fact.
Old 29th December 2012, 08:57 AM   #328
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
do you sorta get the feeling that janadele has never read the entire book of mormon? Few have; certainly i never kept awake past the 100th. And it came to pass.

Here's a title i'm pretty damn sure she's never cracked: no man knows my history, by sh Fawn brodie. It's a cracking fine bio of joe smith, written by a mormon.

That's right, janadele: I dare ya!
ftfy
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th December 2012, 09:01 AM   #329
Janadele
Master Poster

Fawn Brodie is an anti-Mormon and was excommunicated from the LDS Church.

Last edited by Janadele; 29th December 2012 at 09:06 AM.
Janadele is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th December 2012, 09:06 AM   #330
sackett
Illuminator

Shawn? Fawn? Don't bother me with details!

Fawn Brodie is an anti-Mormon.
My lord, you have just ridden over her dead body.
Old 29th December 2012, 09:25 AM   #331
eir_de_scania
Thinker

No wonder I feel sympathetic towards neo-pagam movements; their followers thinks it's up to you to find your own path.

All religion claim to be true, why pick one where you have to wear uncomfortable special underwear?

Granny Weatherwax
eir_de_scania is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th December 2012, 09:27 AM   #332
Janadele
Master Poster

Lightbulb

Personally I have no interest in refuting anything in the Book of Mormon. It is Scripture, as is the Holy Bible, Pearl of Great Price, and Doctrine and Covenants.

The following link to Fair addresses such issues for those who have concerns,
Fair is not an official LDS site.
http://en.fairmormon.org/Book_of_Mormon/Anachronisms
Old 29th December 2012, 09:33 AM   #333
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Janadele, it's obvious that you are not here to actually discuss your church. You want to discuss your faith, however these are or the same things.

You believe what you believe because you believe it. Circular, though it makes most people scratch their heads. Others here have pointed out the problems that exist I your own holy book, and you seem to be unwilling to discuss them. To me, that means you really don't have faith, let alone an understanding of your religion. You stick your fi gets your ears while claiming that you won't hear the words of satan or those who disparage your church. You cannot face them, I your own thread, that you cared to discuss your religion!

You follow a religion. That seems to treat certain segment to of their followers as second class citizens. Homosexuals are denied the love they feel, and the intimacy they crave, because your vile book demands it. Even worse, your church tries to e vice this practice on tone who do not believe in Mormonism! Then you haw women who appear to be expected to marry and have children early on life. No dreams for them! No careers, no life outside having children and obeying their husband. Can women even be priests? Hold offices of power over men In your religion?

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th December 2012, 09:33 AM   #334
DragonLady
Master Poster

Okay; so now she's been excommunicated, what does that mean for her immortal, eternal soul?

“She would be half a planet away, floating in a turquoise sea, dancing by moonlight to flamenco guitar.” ~ Janet Fitch

The Gweat and Tewwible Winged One
DragonLady is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th December 2012, 09:33 AM   #335
RandFan
Mormon Atheist

Fawn Brodie was a decent honest and very intelligent woman. Her work is scholarly and has stood the test of time and there is no evidence that Brodie was malicious.

I think I'll reroute my trip
I wonder if they'd think I'd flipped.
If I went to LA, via Omaha.
RandFan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th December 2012, 09:34 AM   #336
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Personally I have no interest in refuting anything in the Book of Mormon. It is Scripture, as is the Holy Bible, Pearl of Great Price, and Doctrine and Covenants.
Yes, I'm sure you don't want to talk about the blatant fraud that is the "Book of Abraham."

Quote:
Yeah, I've seen that site before. They "address" the anachronisms by simply making stuff up. For example, by "horses," maybe the BoM really means "deer." I'm not making that up - that's seriously the kind of ridiculous crap they come up with.

There's a reason why "FAIR" isn't taken seriously by, well, anyone outside of the Church.
Old 29th December 2012, 09:38 AM   #337
Janadele
Master Poster

Lightbulb

No one "has" to do so. In fact only members who are worthy to hold a Temple Recommend and whose recommend is current, are allowed to enter an LDS Temple and be issued with Temple Garments.
Originally Posted by eir_de_scania View Post
... why pick one where you have to wear uncomfortable special underwear?
Old 29th December 2012, 09:43 AM   #338
RandFan
Mormon Atheist

Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
Yes, I'm sure you don't want to talk about the blatant fraud that is the "Book of Abraham."

Yeah, I've seen that site before. They "address" the anachronisms by simply making stuff up. For example, by "horses," maybe the BoM really means "deer." I'm not making that up - that's seriously the kind of ridiculous crap they come up with.

There's a reason why "FAIR" isn't taken seriously by, well, anyone outside of the Church.
There are things that are spectacularly wrong. Why wheat and barley and not maize? Smith could not have known about DNA but he could have known about native crops had he done some research.

RandFan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th December 2012, 09:44 AM   #339
Janadele
Master Poster

That is not so Rand. Being excommunicated is not a light matter.
Originally Posted by RandFan View Post
Fawn Brodie was a decent honest and very intelligent woman. Her work is scholarly and has stood the test of time and there is no evidence that Brodie was malicious.
Old 29th December 2012, 09:47 AM   #340
TheRedWorm
I AM the Red Worm!

I asked this in another thread, and I'll ask it again here, as no one responded.

Why would a being as powerful as believers think that god is give too much of a care about our brand of particularly hairless ape?

As usual, he doesn't understand the relevant sciences, can't Google for the right thing, and appears to rely on the notion that a word salad liberally sprinkled with Google Croutons will make his argument seem coherent. -JayUtah
TheRedWorm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th December 2012, 09:48 AM   #341
Agatha
Winking at the Moon

You weren't being asked to refute anything. You were being asked whether you accept that the Book of Mormon contains errors.
Old 29th December 2012, 09:51 AM   #342
Janadele
Master Poster

I love the book of Abraham. It is enlightening. This is one of my favourites:

In the Pearl of Great Price. The Book of Abraham, Chapter 3 verses 22 to 27 we read:

22 Now the Lord had shown unto me, Abraham, the intelligences that were organized before the world was; and among all these there were many of the Noble and Great ones;

23 And God saw these souls that they were good, and He stood in the midst of them, and He said: These I will make my rulers; for He stood among those that were Spirits, and he saw that they were good; and He said unto me: Abraham, thou art one of them; thou wast chosen before thou wast born.

24 And there stood one among them that was like unto God, and He said unto those who were with Him: We will go down, for there is space there, and we will take of these materials, and we will make an earth whereon these may dwell;

25 And we will prove them herewith, to see if they will do all things whatsoever the Lord their God shall command them;

26 And they who keep their first estate shall be added upon; and they who keep not their first estate shall not have glory in the same kingdom with those who keep their first estate; and they who keep their second estate shall have glory added upon their heads for ever and ever.

27 And the Lord said: Whom shall I send? And one answered like unto the Son of Man: Here am I, send me. And another answered and said: Here am I, send me. And the Lord said: I will send the first.

Old 29th December 2012, 09:53 AM   #343
Janadele
Master Poster

Red Worm,
We are His Children.

Originally Posted by TheRedWorm View Post
I asked this in another thread, and I'll ask it again here, as no one responded.

Why would a being as powerful as believers think that god is give too much of a care about our brand of particularly hairless ape?
Old 29th December 2012, 09:53 AM   #344
sackett
Illuminator

All true.

I would only opine that maybe Brodie was a little too much the psychologist-historian, that is, she enjoyed shrinking her subjects' heads more than is necessary to tell their stories. Certainly in our own time we've learned to identify a smirking con-man like J. Smith after just one whiff of snake-oil, and don't need to analyse him very extensively. The narcissistic personality is easy to detect, and, once detected, easy to avoid.

I think Brodie rather liked Smith, maybe even had a crush on him (many did), and was saddened by his trajectory. Malice? She saved that for worthier targets, like Richard Nixon.

No Man Knows Etc. would make one helluva fine movie. A comedy, of course.
Old 29th December 2012, 09:54 AM   #345
RandFan
Mormon Atheist

That is not so Rand. Being excommunicated is not a light matter.
She was excommunicated for her conscience.

The Mormon Church has the right to kick her out of the Church but it demonstrates absolutely nothing and an attempt to use the excommunication as proof of something is a fallacy as it's self serving. The Mormon Church is not a neutral party. You can't use a self serving act to demonstrate anything.

BTW: It's what all cults do. It's actually one of the signs of a cult. Shaming. Ostracizing. IMO: It's a monstrous thing that often divides families unnecessarily. The purpose of religion is to control people and make money. The best way to make money is to get people to give it to you for doing nothing.

You wanta make real money, you gotta start a religion! --L. Ron Hubbard

Old 29th December 2012, 09:54 AM   #346
TheRedWorm
I AM the Red Worm!

Red Worm,
We are His Children.

No, we are not. We are our parent's children. Why should a god care about our particular evolutionary lineage?

As usual, he doesn't understand the relevant sciences, can't Google for the right thing, and appears to rely on the notion that a word salad liberally sprinkled with Google Croutons will make his argument seem coherent. -JayUtah
TheRedWorm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th December 2012, 09:56 AM   #347
RandFan
Mormon Atheist

I love the book of Abraham. It is enlightening. This is one of my favourites:
It's a demonstrable fraud.

Last edited by RandFan; 29th December 2012 at 10:09 AM.
Old 29th December 2012, 09:58 AM   #348
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Link seems to be broken there.

Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th December 2012, 10:07 AM   #349
Pup
Illuminator

Pup... Our Heavenly Father is the greatest of all mathematicians and scientists, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints does not refute true science, but certainly does not support the theories of Darwin... as also does not Henry Eyring. The word evolution does not automatically mean human beings come from monkeys... far from it. I would suggest you read Henry Eyrings books for the real meanings and not take words out of context or from dubious publications.
So how do you feel about Stephen L. Peck? Those were his own words I quoted, with a link to a complete essay he wrote and chose to have published in a Salt Lake City newspaper, which seems to meet your standard of evidence above.

You simply cannot escape the fact that there are many faithful members of the LDS Church in good standing, who support the theory of evolution and the fact that humans evolved from animals.

Refusing to believe it is your choice, but it is not a requirement to be a member of the church, and your words above would be in conflict with many members of the church. Including my wife.
Pup is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th December 2012, 10:09 AM   #350
RandFan
Mormon Atheist

Originally Posted by Shalamar View Post
Link seems to be broken there.
Fixed. Thank you. Here it is again.

http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4168

Old 29th December 2012, 10:11 AM   #351
Janadele
Master Poster

Lightbulb

Shalamar: Of course not, why would they?

The responsibility of holding the Priesthood of God is only given to worthy males.

Women have the sacred duty of Motherhood... they also teach, speak at services, play the organ, sing in choirs... and assist in many important ways.

They do not need to "Hold offices of power over men".

Originally Posted by Shalamar View Post
Janadele... Can women even be priests? Hold offices of power over men In your religion?
Old 29th December 2012, 10:12 AM   #352
RandFan
Mormon Atheist

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints does not refute true science, but certainly does not support the theories of Darwin...
BYU teaches evolution.

BYU:Evolution and the Origin of Man

Old 29th December 2012, 10:16 AM   #353
RandFan
Mormon Atheist

Men don't need it either.

Old 29th December 2012, 10:18 AM   #354
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

The responsibility of holding the Priesthood of God is only given to worthy males.

Women have the sacred duty of Motherhood... they also teach, speak at services, play the organ, sing in choirs... and assist in many important ways.

And why not? Women can be, and are, leaders of industry, CEO's of companies, and even rulers of countries. Why would your church limit women who would have the capacity to lead well, and force them to merely 'assist'?

This is only one of the bigoted things I do not like about your religion. It holds people back.

Old 29th December 2012, 10:21 AM   #355
RandFan
Mormon Atheist

BYU teaches evolution.

BYU:Evolution and the Origin of Man
BTW: That is the Church's official postition and not the BYU course. Sorry.

Quote:
The scriptures tell why man was created, but they do not tell how...

Leave geology, biology, archaeology, and anthropology, no one of which has to do with the salvation of the soul of mankind, to scientific research, while we magnify our calling in the realm of the Church....

Old 29th December 2012, 10:31 AM   #356
DragonLady
Master Poster

Quote:
25 And we will prove them herewith, to see if they will do all things whatsoever the Lord their God shall command them;

26 And they who keep their first estate shall be added upon; and they who keep not their first estate shall not have glory in the same kingdom with those who keep their first estate; and they who keep their second estate shall have glory added upon their heads for ever and ever.
And what of those who do not "keep their estates"? Is it -in your heart- morally acceptable for a higher being to play favorites?

It makes me think of Noah's flood. So many Christians seem to just focus on the handful of survivors, and completely wave off the deliberate destruction of everyone else. The idea that it's morally acceptable for God to commit genocide in order to prove a point is something I cannot wrap my head around.

Mormonism is clearly no different. You have those you believe made all the right choices, and they are the favorites...and on down the line 'til you reach those who heard a different drummer, and they are outcasts or worse.

How do you reconcile that? How can you think that through and decide it's okay?

“She would be half a planet away, floating in a turquoise sea, dancing by moonlight to flamenco guitar.” ~ Janet Fitch

The Gweat and Tewwible Winged One
DragonLady is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th December 2012, 10:47 AM   #357
Cleon
King of the Pod People

s/demonstrable/blatant/.

It must've sounded really good back before we learned how to read Egyptian hieroglyphics.
Old 29th December 2012, 10:58 AM   #358
kerikiwi
Philosopher

May I ask why you think men need to hold offices of power over women?
And what are the consequences for women who fail to fulfill their scared duty of motherhood?

Oh, and may I also ask that you quote first, then reply.
It is a more logical sequence.
kerikiwi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th December 2012, 11:04 AM   #359
RandFan
Mormon Atheist

s/demonstrable/blatant/.

It must've sounded really good back before we learned how to read Egyptian hieroglyphics.
Oh yeah. Funny thing is that the Rosetta Stone had already been discovered (1799) ensuring the montebank would eventually be exposed.

Old 29th December 2012, 12:18 PM   #360
jsfisher
ETcorngods survivor

Ever watch the TV series, The Prisoner? It is something of an underground classic, and well-worth the viewing time. In one of the episodes (Episode 6, curiously enough), all the residents of the village are exposed to "Speed Learn" in which a three-year college sequence in history is instilled in a matter of minutes.

There are several aspects of the episode I won't dwell on here (although they are topical); I bring it up because it turned out that the students of Speed Learn translated any question they were asked into one of the questions they were taught.

I have now asked twice, Janadele, about how do you know that most dead mortals await one of the ordinances by proxy. Each time, you have responded to a question I did not ask. Perhaps my question was easily misinterpreted, so permit me to try again:

Please, you said:
Quote:
Most deceased mortals are waiting anxiously for their families to do this work for them
How do you know that it is most dead mortals, not just some; and how do you know they wait anxiously?

"He's the greatest mod that never was!" -- Monketey Ghost
jsfisher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy