ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 2nd January 2013, 08:59 PM   #1
MNBrant
Master Poster

Thinking about joining scientology

Ok, scientology has been in the news lately. I guess they have been doing things worldwide to combat drugs. I am thinking to myself how can I get in on this. What is the cheapest way to get into scientology as I dont have much money to throw around. Not alot of time to volunteer too. Whats the best, and possibly cheapest way to get in? I have self doubts but they are hidden so deep I refuse to acknowledge them. I am wondering if scientology might be the answer? Keep in mind I am poor but have a positive attitude.
MNBrant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2013, 09:03 PM   #2
Brainache
Nasty Brutish and Tall

You gotta get the money first. Then when you got the money, you get the power. When you got the power, then you get the woo...

Invert the prominent diaphragm!!!

I have eaten breakfast and have not written an Epistle to any Church. - dejudge.
Brainache is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2013, 09:05 PM   #3
Sticky Fingers
Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving With a Pict

The cheapest way is to strictly stick to an internet conversion.

Everything is online now Man....
Why bother to fill that paperwork out to actually join?

Just pretend you are one of them and and think positive thoughts......

(And don't watch South Park.......)
Sticky Fingers is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2013, 09:11 PM   #4
MNBrant
Master Poster

Hmm, do they have a website they hang out in that you know of? I am afraid of that part where you tell them all your innermost secrets. I probably would just stare at them. I am too old to start sharing secrets.
MNBrant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2013, 09:14 PM   #5
truethat
Penultimate Amazing

Pretend you are an actor. I snuck into the Celebrity Center here in NYC once. I got to the lobby. Then I got asked to leave. Rats.

― Julie Rugg, A Book Addict's Treasury
truethat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2013, 09:17 PM   #6
MNBrant
Master Poster

I could maybe pass for old marlin brando. Maybe they dont know he's dead.

I did find a forum about scientology. Looks like most of the posters except the moderators don't know much about the subject. It is medium sized for this kind of forum.

http://www.scnforum.org/index.php?t=...3351e5471231ac

Last edited by MNBrant; 2nd January 2013 at 09:22 PM.
Old 2nd January 2013, 09:29 PM   #7
hgc
Penultimate Amazing

You should start by finding and watching the Tom Cruise vid on youtube. In it, he says (and I paraphrase) that you're either in all the way or you're just a dabbler. Do you think you can muster the commitment? You should present yourself at the nearest implant station Borg Ideal Org to take a personality test, and perhaps take a spin with the cans.

Don't worry too much about revealing your innermost thoughts, feelings, fears, vulnerabilities, liabilities, crimes, bank account numbers, or secret desires. The information you provide is for counseling purposes only, and will not be pasted all over websites constructed with the express purpose of smearing your reputation. That never happens.

Don't worry too much about the money neither. There are lots of possibilities for cashstration from sources of financial leverage that you probably haven't dreamt of. When that's played out, you have a bright future on staff or in the Sea Org, where your treadmill journey up the bridge will be financed by hours of mind-numbing labor (provided by yourself) maintaining a rube goldberg-like filing system devised by a mid-20th century noted lunatic.

Have fun! Oiliness! With ARC, LRH, PhD.
Old 2nd January 2013, 09:41 PM   #8
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

It would be a lot cheaper to find another religion that combines not taking drugs with not stealing as much of your money. If you join the Jehovah's Witnesses or the Mormons you at least get in free, and they generally don't go over a tenth later.

I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2013, 09:45 PM   #9
Darth Rotor
Salted Sith Cynic

Suggest you do a bit of wiki on Marty Rathbun and find out how the church has treated him. I have some Law Enforcement friends in Southern Texas who are familiar with the pattern of harassment he has been subject to after he left the CoS.

Just make sure you have a good idea about both ends of the deal, and if you still want to join, have at it.
"Jesus wept, but did He laugh?"--F.H. Buckley____"There is one thing that was too great for God to show us when He walked upon our earth ... His mirth." --Chesterton__"If the barbarian in us is excised, so is our humanity."--D'rok__ "I only use my gun whenever kindness fails."-- Robert Earl Keen__"Sturgeon spares none.". -- The Marquis
Darth Rotor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2013, 09:48 PM   #10
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly

Originally Posted by MNBrant View Post
Ok, scientology has been in the news lately. I guess they have been doing things worldwide to combat drugs. I am thinking to myself how can I get in on this. What is the cheapest way to get into scientology as I dont have much money to throw around. Not alot of time to volunteer too. Whats the best, and possibly cheapest way to get in? I have self doubts but they are hidden so deep I refuse to acknowledge them. I am wondering if scientology might be the answer? Keep in mind I am poor but have a positive attitude.
I think you should go for it. Troll the scientologists and report back your findings to the JREF. Have fun and remember to just be yourself!
Old 3rd January 2013, 03:06 PM   #11
MNBrant
Master Poster

Yeah its the crimes thing that bugs me. I didn't know it was not a requirement so maybe I will try it. I am afraid to go there. I suppose I could use my alias, MNBrant online so nobody would know who I was. I am already completely leveraged and the only way they could get money out of me is either I start winning again at the craps table, or I start knocking over banks which I wouldn't think would be condoned by them.

Wow, they allow you to be an anonymous participant on this not official Scientology forum. I guess I can be more secret than MNBrant.

Wow, Scientology schismed into groups out there that dont' ask, or ask for less, money put on by self proclaimed class 6's. That sounds cheaper.

here is one. http://internationalfreezone.net/

They have freezone and independent scientologists. Apparently being kicked out of scientology doesnt mean so much. The religion sounds very science fictiony. So why shoudnt I dabble into this. I have already traveled between universes apparently, though accidently, because I have watched the same movies and comercials that were very different in meaning though they had somewhat the same plot. Anybody know what I am talking about? I have a name for this but its secret.

Last edited by MNBrant; 3rd January 2013 at 03:27 PM.
Old 3rd January 2013, 04:00 PM   #12
hgc
Penultimate Amazing

They have freezone and independent scientologists. Apparently being kicked out of scientology doesnt mean so much. The religion sounds very science fictiony. So why shoudnt I dabble into this. I have already traveled between universes apparently, though accidently, because I have watched the same movies and comercials that were very different in meaning though they had somewhat the same plot. Anybody know what I am talking about? I have a name for this but its secret.

I know exactly what you're talking about, but my name for it is secret too. We'll have to agree on a code name.
Old 3rd January 2013, 05:26 PM   #13
MNBrant
Master Poster

Originally Posted by hgc View Post
I know exactly what you're talking about, but my name for it is secret too. We'll have to agree on a code name.
The name for the tv station for hell is called gang tv, Then theres heaven asgard tv, heaven tv, and probably some others. Is this scientology or do you know what this is? For instance in the latest X men movie evil won and it was good. I assume in this world evil won but there is probably some explanation. In the planet of the apes prequel the apes were the evil ones. Basically close to the same show but the emphasis was changed along with some scenes. Luckily I don't like tv or I might have been sucked into it. Also, looking at unofficial scientology site I am noticing the term time and space. Would a master of time and space be the equivalent of their god? Or does it mean something else or nothing. No I am not talking about dr who.

Last edited by MNBrant; 3rd January 2013 at 05:35 PM.
Old 3rd January 2013, 05:32 PM   #14
tsig
a carbon based life-form

Start your own religion then you can keep all the money.

Caution, you'll have to be around people who are delusional enough to think you know the truth.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2013, 05:46 PM   #15
MNBrant
Master Poster

I am reading the axioms of scientology now. Where are YOU now? Well I know where I am. I am 6 layers down in hell. Probably not a market for people who want to be in hell kinda but not too far. Hmm, I presume there's at least 1000 layers so that's not so bad. But am I there really? Would scientology tell me this? Someone mentioned that their stuff is on the internet. Where is it pray tell? It's interesting at least. I suppose I would appear to be trolling if I went in with all my baggage though.

What are these implants they are talking about. This is all too jargon laden.

Last edited by MNBrant; 3rd January 2013 at 06:01 PM.
Old 3rd January 2013, 06:36 PM   #16
aggle-rithm
Ardent Formulist

What is the cheapest way to get into scientology as I dont have much money to throw around. Not alot of time to volunteer too.
Join the Sea Org. Strictly speaking, it's not volunteering, more like involuntary servitude.

Woo's razor: Never attribute to stupidity that which can be adequately explained by aliens.
aggle-rithm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2013, 06:41 PM   #17
LaurelHS
Muse

Originally Posted by aggle-rithm View Post
Join the Sea Org. Strictly speaking, it's not volunteering, more like involuntary servitude.
But if you leave, they'll send you a huge bill.
LaurelHS is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2013, 06:45 PM   #18
aggle-rithm
Ardent Formulist

Originally Posted by LaurelHS View Post
But if you leave, they'll send you a huge bill.
Leave...? Why?

Woo's razor: Never attribute to stupidity that which can be adequately explained by aliens.
aggle-rithm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2013, 08:16 PM   #19
MNBrant
Master Poster

Hmm, They have a scientology test online. What could be the harm? Hmm, you have to come in. Sounds like they have a couple of churchlike services. I gave them my info but did not schedule an appointment.

Last edited by MNBrant; 3rd January 2013 at 08:23 PM.
Old 3rd January 2013, 08:20 PM   #20
tsig
a carbon based life-form

Hmm, They have a scientology test online. What could be the harm?
A mind is a terrible thing to waste

But sometimes you just have to get wasted.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2013, 08:52 PM   #21
MNBrant
Master Poster

Hmm, they're going to call me. I took the test. I answered maybe to about 75% of the questions. no to 20% and yes to 5%. I already know they are going to say I need help. The problem is I am already quite far down the road to perdition and it will take something really impressive to turn me back.

Last edited by MNBrant; 3rd January 2013 at 08:54 PM.
Old 3rd January 2013, 08:57 PM   #22
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

I guess the real danger is that it will work.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2013, 08:59 PM   #23
hgc
Penultimate Amazing

... I am already quite far down the road to perdition ...
This is what they call the going up the bridge. You'll be able to start at an advanced level.
Old 3rd January 2013, 09:02 PM   #24
MNBrant
Master Poster

Originally Posted by marplots View Post
I guess the real danger is that it will work.
What? That I would join? I have a catholic wife and kid to consider.

Originally Posted by hgc View Post
This is what they call the going up the bridge. You'll be able to start at an advanced level.
Hmm, I wonder why they are interested in helping people find out where they are really. What if the're not in a very nice place? You ever seen cube zero?

Last edited by MNBrant; 3rd January 2013 at 09:10 PM.
Old 3rd January 2013, 09:14 PM   #25
FreshHat
Why, You Little...

For a paltry one-time only fee of just US$35, you can be a Master Of The Stoogely Arts as an ordained minister in The Church Of The SubGenius.

"Eternal Salvation, Or Triple Your Money Back" *

*some conditions apply
Old 3rd January 2013, 09:17 PM   #26
hgc
Penultimate Amazing

MNBrant, Hebbo! Have you considered Tarvu? It's SO easy to join!

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 3rd January 2013, 09:17 PM   #27
MNBrant
Master Poster

Originally Posted by FreshHat View Post
For a paltry one-time only fee of just US$35, you can be a Master Of The Stoogely Arts as an ordained minister in The Church Of The SubGenius.

"Eternal Salvation, Or Triple Your Money Back" *

*some conditions apply
they are still around? Aren't they the ones causing all the problems around here?

Still looking at the scientology website. The owner of the site says the premise of scientology and the universe is play as a slave or don't play. That doesnt sound like the official stated position of the church but I have heard this before at the psych ward. I think it boils down to attitude. You can have an attitude of a winner or loser.

http://www.scnforum.org/index.php?t=...3351e5471231ac

sounds like a cassette tape religion. Hmm.

Actually I found a youtube video of the moon saturn matrix from David Icke. I havent seen alot of evidence for what he is talking about but he is describing what the matrix is. I was not too sure about that.

Last edited by MNBrant; 3rd January 2013 at 10:15 PM.
Old 3rd January 2013, 10:37 PM   #28
AdMan
Philosopher

Originally Posted by aggle-rithm View Post

Is that the one where you sign a billion-year contract?
Old 3rd January 2013, 10:39 PM   #29
MNBrant
Master Poster

Originally Posted by AdMan View Post
Is that the one where you sign a billion-year contract?
Isn't my birth certificate worth about that? I am not sure I am willing to give it up though. I wonder what to expect when they call? Will they call?

wow no lack of people willing to dish the dirt on scientology. Here's a purported secret dictionary of scientology terms. Sea Org. Is that real?

http://www.bible.ca/scientology-dictonary-terms.htm

Last edited by MNBrant; 3rd January 2013 at 10:57 PM.
Old 4th January 2013, 01:15 AM   #30
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Scientology is very very bad news, especially for someone on medication. Do not touch it with a bargepole, I beg you. Seriously, I'm begging you to back away. I've gathered enough about your circumstances from your contributions to other threads to be genuinely concerned for your safety, let alone sanity, if you go down this path.
Old 4th January 2013, 07:30 AM   #31
MNBrant
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
Scientology is very very bad news, especially for someone on medication. Do not touch it with a bargepole, I beg you. Seriously, I'm begging you to back away. I've gathered enough about your circumstances from your contributions to other threads to be genuinely concerned for your safety, let alone sanity, if you go down this path.
Well I did give them my number. They did not in fact call me in the middle of the night. Sounds like a lot of people have given them some money and not all of them have been satisified with the result. Like I said I have heard a bunch of this stuff already back in the psych ward and alot of this stuff is on the internet. I am unlikely to pay much for old news and cassetts. Some of it sounds interesting but David Icke sounds interesting too. Wow the guy looks unhealthy from his youtube video.

I will say that they seem to be trying to clean up their image a bit with worldwide anti drug ads. The big symbol that you can see from space seems a little disturbing though for some reason.

Last edited by MNBrant; 4th January 2013 at 07:33 AM.
Old 4th January 2013, 08:59 AM   #32
Ian
Thinker

I'm with Pixel42 on this one, MNBrant. Don't take her advice lightly. What you're considering is more dangerous than playing with fire. Fire doesn't want to enslave you, but Scientology has spent a lot of time and money working every dirty trick to take over your mind and your life. Just walk away from this idea and don't respond to anything they send you.
Ian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2013, 09:15 AM   #33
MNBrant
Master Poster

they still haven't called. I did do the personality test and am interested in seeing the results. I have some doubts they will actually call. You know that thetan clearing thing sounds a bit like schizophrenia believing they have evil spirits. I think they are more interested in the neophyte who understands nothing but wonders if there could be more rather than someone who has followed a path into hell quite a ways.
Old 4th January 2013, 09:57 AM   #34
SusanB-M1
Incurable Optimist

From what I've read and heard, I very much agree with you here.
Old 4th January 2013, 10:15 AM   #35
rustypouch
Philosopher

Less talky, more joiny.
rustypouch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2013, 11:03 AM   #36
Sticky Fingers
Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving With a Pict

Originally Posted by rustypouch View Post
Less talky, more joiny.
Agreed. No one else wants to join.
How bout MN joins and he can be our eyes and ears on the inside?

And maybe even send back some authentic Suri merchandise......
Most of the stuff on the market now is a fake......
Sticky Fingers is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2013, 11:32 AM   #37
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

MNBrant has revealed in other threads that he is a diagnosed schizophrenic who requires medication to remain functional. Please do not encourage him, even in jest, to join a cult that would forbid him to take that essential medication.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientology_and_psychiatry
Old 4th January 2013, 12:11 PM   #38
MNBrant
Master Poster

They were going to call at 11am but didn't. I might have failed the test. Perhaps purposefully. The test seems designed to screen out problem peoples. Schizophrenics would be problematic because they get too many hits and make too many connections to be considered entirely credible. I think there is some evidence to support their views on psychiatrists but I don't view them as negatively as they seem to.

Last edited by MNBrant; 4th January 2013 at 12:17 PM.
Old 4th January 2013, 12:44 PM   #39
DragonLady
Master Poster

MNBrant has revealed in other threads that he is a diagnosed schizophrenic who requires medication to remain functional. Please do not encourage him, even in jest, to join a cult that would forbid him to take that essential medication.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientology_and_psychiatry
Bears repeating. Often.

“She would be half a planet away, floating in a turquoise sea, dancing by moonlight to flamenco guitar.” ~ Janet Fitch

The Gweat and Tewwible Winged One
DragonLady is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2013, 12:58 PM   #40
MNBrant
Master Poster

bears trolling. I do take medication but am not on disability. Like I said they didnt call. I got weeded out. I am getting ready at age 49 to go back to school for computer technology and accounting. I am not afraid that they would hook me into their interesting cult. I am afraid of being bored by their interesting cult.

Last edited by MNBrant; 4th January 2013 at 01:01 PM.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy