ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags apollo hoax , moon landing hoax

Reply
Old 25th February 2013, 04:39 PM   #201
LaurelHS
Muse
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 700
You're the one making the claims, do your own research.
LaurelHS is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2013, 04:41 PM   #202
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 18,709
Originally Posted by indomitablespirit View Post
Be sure when you tell us all why you also tell us the temperature inside the LM on both occasions.
You don't know?

Originally Posted by indomitablespirit View Post
That of course is the part that makes the why of it all so very interesting, and revealing when it comes to proving how downright not real never happened in a million years this all is. So please go ahead, tell us all why and how hot it was in there on the moon, both times, Apollo 11 and Apollo 15.
Vacuum has no temperature. You didn't know this?

Originally Posted by indomitablespirit View Post
Don't bluff me. What kind of fool do you take me for?
I cannot answer that without violating the terms of this forum
Originally Posted by indomitablespirit View Post
Why don't you tell us all how hot or cold it was inside the LM on the occasion of the Apollo 11 stay on the moon and likewise please tell us the temperature inside the LM during the Apollo 15 stay.
A pleseant 15C. Now what?
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?


...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2013, 04:49 PM   #203
indomitablespirit
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 16
Originally Posted by threadworm View Post
You're not in a position to prove anything. What you are doing there is telling people what their argument is and telling that they're wrong, without having any kind of basis for either side of it.

Your so called issue is a fictitious one entirely of your own making. Run along now.
I do not need to prove anything. I simply point out facts. The claim is the space monkeys had their suits on during the Apollo 11 lunar stay, suits off in the LM during the much longer Apollo 15 stay. The Apollo 11 astronauts said the temp was borderline unbearably cold. The Apollo 15 space monkeys said it was uncomfortably hot. The question is does the suit issue account for the difference? The answer of course has to do with how hot or cold they claimed it to be inside the LMs. So how hot or cold was it? Not proving anything. Just pointing out the space monkeys were never on the moon so they really don't deserve the moniker space monkey now do they ?

Last edited by indomitablespirit; 25th February 2013 at 04:50 PM. Reason: out doubled
indomitablespirit is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2013, 04:51 PM   #204
indomitablespirit
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 16
Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
You don't know?

Vacuum has no temperature. You didn't know this?

I cannot answer that without violating the terms of this forum
A pleseant 15C. Now what?
They didn't know how hot or cold it was inside the LM???????? How could that be??? Remember Apollo 13????? they had a thermometer of sorts in there did they not?
indomitablespirit is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2013, 04:54 PM   #205
LaurelHS
Muse
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 700
Originally Posted by indomitablespirit View Post
I do not need to prove anything. I simply point out facts.
And when will you start doing that?
LaurelHS is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2013, 04:55 PM   #206
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 18,709
Originally Posted by indomitablespirit View Post
I do not need to prove anything.
Exactly wrong. Your claim, your burden of proof of your claim.
Originally Posted by indomitablespirit View Post
I simply point out facts.
Yet you have none.
Originally Posted by indomitablespirit View Post
The claim is the space monkeys had their suits on during the Apollo 11 lunar stay, suits off in the LM during the much longer Apollo 15 stay.
Wrong.
Originally Posted by indomitablespirit View Post
The Apollo 11 astronauts said the temp was borderline unbearably cold.
Citation please.
Originally Posted by indomitablespirit View Post
The Apollo 15 space monkeys said it was uncomfortably hot.
Citation please.

Originally Posted by indomitablespirit View Post
The question is does the suit issue account for the difference? The answer of course has to do with how hot or cold they claimed it to be inside the LMs. So how hot or cold was it? Not proving anything. Just pointing out the space monkeys were never on the moon so they really don't deserve the moniker space monkey now do they ?
What "suit issue"?
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?


...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2013, 04:57 PM   #207
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 17,278
Originally Posted by indomitablespirit View Post
Don't bluff me.
You're the one bluffing. You said you had a rigorous argument. You were asked to present it. You refused, and instead went on a question-begging song and dance.

Quote:
What kind of fool do you take me for?
The ignorant, deceptive kind.

Quote:
Why don't you tell us all how hot or cold it was inside the LM...
For two reasons.

First, your claim was that you had been shown a persuasive argument allegedly written by an engineer who, according to you, successfully challenged Jack Swigert. Our ability or willingness to estimate the temperature of the lunar module has absolutely nothing to do with that claim. You either have it and can produce it here, or you do not.

Second, your argument is based on an expectation that the lunar module should be some specific temperature in all circumstances. We could stipulate to practically any temperature you cite, and your argument would still be based on that flawed premise. I asked you to substantiate the premise and you have refused. LM temperature estimates are a red herring until you fix the fatal flaw in your line of reasoning.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2013, 05:00 PM   #208
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 17,278
Originally Posted by indomitablespirit View Post
I do not need to prove anything. I simply point out facts.
Your claims don't become facts until you prove them. Yes, you have a burden of proof.

Quote:
The question is does the suit issue account for the difference?
No, the question is why the difference needs to be accounted for. You seem to expect the LM to be subjectively the same temperature in all cases. Why?

Quote:
Not proving anything. Just pointing out the space monkeys were never on the moon so they really don't deserve the moniker space monkey now do they ?
And why do you think that's a claim that doesn't require proof?
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2013, 05:28 PM   #209
tsig
a carbon based life-form
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 39,049
Originally Posted by indomitablespirit View Post
Don't bluff me. What kind of fool do you take me for? Why don't you tell us all how hot or cold it was inside the LM on the occasion of the Apollo 11 stay on the moon and likewise please tell us the temperature inside the LM during the Apollo 15 stay.
What kind are you?
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2013, 05:36 PM   #210
haibut
Scholar
 
haibut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 96
So how hot WAS the LM? How how hot would you expect it to be? Why?

Without those numbers you don't really have a point at all, do you?
haibut is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2013, 05:37 PM   #211
indomitablespirit
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 16
How's this for a rigorous argument. When the Apollo 11 make believe moon walker space monkeys Armstrong and Aldrin separated from Michael Collins the make believe space monkey CM pilot and guy who really couldn't write his way out of a paper bag so had that load of dung Carrying the Fire written for his transparent buttock, who kept the thermometer? Did the make believe moon walker space monkeys keep the medical kit with the thermometer? Or did denser than all get out Collins who can barely form a full sentence let alone write a book keep it? I think they should have pretended to give it to Armstrong and Aldrin so they could at least pretend to take their temperature when they claimed to be so cold. Instead, there were no transmissions for many hours while the super cold astronauts "slept", or tried to sleep. Geee that's funny. The astronauts are super cold and you are not even talking to them. Pretty darn make believe ain't it? So make believe astronaut temps aside, does the LM itself have a thermometer in it? What was the temp in the LM during the Apollo 11 stay? How about the Apollo 15 stay? Surely they had to know how hot or cold they were? They did a great job of informing us during the make believe Apollo 13 thing did they not? This thing is so fake I want to puke.
indomitablespirit is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2013, 05:40 PM   #212
indomitablespirit
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 16
NASA monkey Al bean says they had to cool off the LM with battery power. Al knows how hot the make believe LM was. It's common knowledge ain't it? Don' they have a record of that? Especially since the space monkeys got so cold and so hot. Not a very good LM if they cannot tell its temp.
indomitablespirit is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2013, 05:43 PM   #213
Pooneil
Thinker
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 201
Originally Posted by indomitablespirit View Post
What kind of fool do you take me for?
[Rocky Rococo] First Class. [/Rocky Rococo]
Pooneil is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2013, 06:01 PM   #214
LaurelHS
Muse
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 700
Indomitablespirit, why don't you learn to punctuate your sentences before criticizing someone else's writing skills?
LaurelHS is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2013, 06:03 PM   #215
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 17,278
Originally Posted by indomitablespirit View Post
How's this for a rigorous argument.
Not rigorous at all. Not even an argument -- just a long rant.

Quote:
This thing is so fake I want to puke.
This from the guy who was trying to tell everyone else how silly they were for taking it all so seriously?

You said you had a technical argument from an engineer who confronted Jack Swigert on the subject. Clearly you have no such thing.

You insinuate there is some constant or natural temperature for the LM cabin. Tell us where that expectation comes from.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2013, 06:46 PM   #216
matt.tansy
Muse
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 991
Originally Posted by indomitablespirit View Post
Instead, there were no transmissions for many hours while the super cold astronauts "slept", or tried to sleep. Geee that's funny. The astronauts are super cold and you are not even talking to them.
Talk to them during the sleep period? How is that supposed to help them sleep? Or is the CAPCOM's cooing supposed to warm their hearts and soothe them into sleep?

Now where's that study that showed conspiracy theorists' astounding ability to hold contradictory beliefs?
__________________
Enough with your Apollo is true by virtue of an appeal to reason... - Patrick1000
probably my bad for trying to back engineer the lunacy -jaydeehess
matt.tansy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2013, 06:59 PM   #217
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon
 
Foster Zygote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,934
Originally Posted by indomitablespirit View Post
I do not need to prove anything. I simply point out facts. The claim is the space monkeys had their suits on during the Apollo 11 lunar stay, suits off in the LM during the much longer Apollo 15 stay. The Apollo 11 astronauts said the temp was borderline unbearably cold. The Apollo 15 space monkeys said it was uncomfortably hot. The question is does the suit issue account for the difference? The answer of course has to do with how hot or cold they claimed it to be inside the LMs. So how hot or cold was it? Not proving anything. Just pointing out the space monkeys were never on the moon so they really don't deserve the moniker space monkey now do they ?
So let me get this straight: You go from not proving anything, to concluding that the Apollo program was a hoax.

So lay it on us. Tell us what the temperature data was from the two missions and tell us why this proves that Apollo was a hoax.
__________________
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2013, 07:02 PM   #218
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon
 
Foster Zygote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,934
Originally Posted by indomitablespirit View Post
They didn't know how hot or cold it was inside the LM????????
Who said that?

Quote:
How could that be???
No one has said that.

Quote:
Remember Apollo 13????? they had a thermometer of sorts in there did they not?
Yeah, and they were in real danger of freezing to death. When temperature is within safe parameters, people generally don't make that big a deal of it. When it becomes potentially deadly, people tend to pay attention to it.
__________________
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2013, 07:05 PM   #219
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon
 
Foster Zygote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,934
Originally Posted by indomitablespirit View Post
How's this for a rigorous argument. When the Apollo 11 make believe moon walker space monkeys Armstrong and Aldrin separated from Michael Collins the make believe space monkey CM pilot and guy who really couldn't write his way out of a paper bag so had that load of dung Carrying the Fire written for his transparent buttock, who kept the thermometer? Did the make believe moon walker space monkeys keep the medical kit with the thermometer? Or did denser than all get out Collins who can barely form a full sentence let alone write a book keep it? I think they should have pretended to give it to Armstrong and Aldrin so they could at least pretend to take their temperature when they claimed to be so cold. Instead, there were no transmissions for many hours while the super cold astronauts "slept", or tried to sleep. Geee that's funny. The astronauts are super cold and you are not even talking to them. Pretty darn make believe ain't it? So make believe astronaut temps aside, does the LM itself have a thermometer in it? What was the temp in the LM during the Apollo 11 stay? How about the Apollo 15 stay? Surely they had to know how hot or cold they were? They did a great job of informing us during the make believe Apollo 13 thing did they not? This thing is so fake I want to puke.
Wow! I can actually see the flecks of spittle on the above post. Anyone want to start a pool regarding how long it takes this guy to get himself banned?
__________________
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2013, 07:15 PM   #220
Kid Eager
Philosopher
 
Kid Eager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 6,771
I smell socks. Just saying...
__________________
What do Narwhals, Magnets and Apollo 13 have in common? Think about it....
Kid Eager is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2013, 07:19 PM   #221
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 17,278
Originally Posted by Kid Eager View Post
I smell socks. Just saying...
You know the rules. Wait for the poop-related claims.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2013, 07:27 PM   #222
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon
 
Foster Zygote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,934
Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
You know the rules. Wait for the poop-related claims.
What temperature was the astronaut's solid waste on the moon?
__________________
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2013, 07:35 PM   #223
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 17,278
<whisper> Booorrrrmaaann poooooop, Booooorrrrrmaaaaan pooop... </whisper>
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2013, 11:33 PM   #224
threadworm
Graduate Poster
 
threadworm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,571
indomitable"justsaying"spirit's posts are, from what I can tell, unsubstantiated gibberish. Not a single reference or number or quote in them, just stream of consciousness babbling.

What he will find is that every single one of his 'points' can be refuted and thrown in the garbage with the minimum of effort by anyone who has so far responded to him. All of his questions can be answered, but frankly all it needs is google, so why should anyone put any effort in?
__________________
Facts are simple and facts are straight, facts are lazy and facts are late, facts don't come with points of view, facts don't do what I want them to.

**************************

Apollo Hoax Debunked
threadworm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2013, 11:48 PM   #225
Jrrarglblarg
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 12,673
Originally Posted by mooncakes123 View Post
.......why haven't we been to the moon since 1972........ with all the technology that we have today.
When you state "all the technology that we have today" I assume you refer to microcircuits used for computing and communications. While those things are indeed quite spiffy, they provide zero thrust. The Soviets proved repeatedly that missions could be run with control systems barely more sophisticated than your average washing machine.

The actual rocket motors used to push things off the surface of the earth are very expensive and derive very little direct benefit from the application of micro-circuitry.
Jrrarglblarg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2013, 11:51 PM   #226
Jrrarglblarg
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 12,673
Originally Posted by twinstead View Post
Denial of the moon landings is right up there with the stupidest of the stupid as far as conspiracy theories.
Come visit me at Icke forum and you will see why I rejoice when a moon landing thread is active. The DIFbats have a lower standard than you may have experienced elsewhere. As a result teh moon threads are a good, solid step UP.

Last edited by Jrrarglblarg; 26th February 2013 at 12:07 AM.
Jrrarglblarg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th February 2013, 04:02 AM   #227
Willy Ekerslike
Scholar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 70
Hello folks, I've been reading these posts for a couple of years, but this is my first post. I'd just like to say, keep up the good work.
On a seperate topic, anyone here remember the Apollo missions to the moon? Weren't they great? Though I suspect if one was not yet born at the time they may look like fiction. I'm so old I remember Gemini and all the preperation that went into Apollo. But I must say I've learned a lot from Jay and the others who kindly fill in the details for us, so hats off to you.

Last edited by Willy Ekerslike; 26th February 2013 at 04:03 AM.
Willy Ekerslike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th February 2013, 04:46 AM   #228
dafydd
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 35,398
Originally Posted by indomitablespirit View Post
This thing is so fake I want to puke.
You've already done that.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th February 2013, 07:40 AM   #229
TheRedWorm
I AM the Red Worm!
 
TheRedWorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,452
Originally Posted by Willy Ekerslike View Post
Hello folks, I've been reading these posts for a couple of years, but this is my first post. I'd just like to say, keep up the good work.
On a seperate topic, anyone here remember the Apollo missions to the moon? Weren't they great? Though I suspect if one was not yet born at the time they may look like fiction. I'm so old I remember Gemini and all the preperation that went into Apollo. But I must say I've learned a lot from Jay and the others who kindly fill in the details for us, so hats off to you.


Welcome to the forum.
__________________
I'll be the best Congressman money can buy!

As usual, he doesn't understand the relevant sciences, can't Google for the right thing, and appears to rely on the notion that a word salad liberally sprinkled with Google Croutons will make his argument seem coherent. -JayUtah
TheRedWorm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th February 2013, 08:28 AM   #230
Straw Man
Flammable
 
Straw Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 8,184
I think it's time for the Mitchell and Webb clip again.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
__________________
The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine. -Abraham Lincoln

You are a lawyer. You should know that evidence is not stuff printed from the internet. - Judge Margines: Taitz v Obama et al.
Straw Man is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th February 2013, 09:21 AM   #231
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing
 
Captain_Swoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 21,222
You know the hoax theory is dead when this is the best we get!

Not even an attempt at anything rational just flinging insults!
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th February 2013, 03:10 PM   #232
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 11,930
I see Patrick is back.

How many posts did he last this time?
__________________
#THEYAREUS
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list.
This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th February 2013, 03:39 PM   #233
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing
 
John Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Iowa USA
Posts: 12,131
Originally Posted by Willy Ekerslike View Post
Hello folks, I've been reading these posts for a couple of years, but this is my first post. I'd just like to say, keep up the good work.
On a seperate topic, anyone here remember the Apollo missions to the moon? Weren't they great? Though I suspect if one was not yet born at the time they may look like fiction. I'm so old I remember Gemini and all the preperation that went into Apollo. But I must say I've learned a lot from Jay and the others who kindly fill in the details for us, so hats off to you.
I remember getting toy Mercury capsules and Atlas rockets when I was little. My grandpa worked on the Saturn V that lifted Apollo 8 to lunar orbit, and yes I watched the 1st moonwalk live. It was an exciting time to be alive. I like Jay's writing too. I followed him here from BAUT.

Welcome aboard.
John Jones is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th February 2013, 04:41 PM   #234
Dcdrac
Philosopher
 
Dcdrac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,141
I have the Bad Astronomy book and a t shirt
Dcdrac is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th February 2013, 04:55 PM   #235
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 18,709
Originally Posted by John Jones View Post
I remember getting toy Mercury capsules and Atlas rockets when I was little. My grandpa worked on the Saturn V that lifted Apollo 8 to lunar orbit, and yes I watched the 1st moonwalk live. It was an exciting time to be alive. I like Jay's writing too. I followed him here from BAUT.

Welcome aboard.
I am the reverse. I lurked for years and then joined here before Jay did. It means nothing though. I agree, I like how Jay writes. He has an uncanny knack of cutting to the core of any argument.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?


...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th February 2013, 05:01 PM   #236
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 11,930
Originally Posted by Willy Ekerslike View Post
Hello folks, I've been reading these posts for a couple of years, but this is my first post. I'd just like to say, keep up the good work.
On a seperate topic, anyone here remember the Apollo missions to the moon? Weren't they great? Though I suspect if one was not yet born at the time they may look like fiction. I'm so old I remember Gemini and all the preperation that went into Apollo. But I must say I've learned a lot from Jay and the others who kindly fill in the details for us, so hats off to you.
You must be younger than me, because I remember the last part of the Mercury programme as well as Gemini!

The problem with delusional idiots like indomitablespirit (who is, by the way, just another sockpuppet for the well known Patrick-of-a-thousand-names) is that they judge the video on today's standards of cinematography. They see little two minute yootoob videos and think that is all there is, and how easy that would be to fake, when in fact the whole thing was continuously broadcast live for hours on end.

Quite aside from the technical impossibility of faking the physics of working in a 1/6th G, vacuum environment, it would have required them to fake flawless, three or four hour continuous live video in a single "take". ANY cinematographer will tell you that this is quite simply impossible, even now, with modern equipment and techniques. And of course, most importantly NO CGI in 1969!!!

In Tom Hanks' miniseries "From Earth to the Moon" the few minutes of lunar surface video we saw took hours of takes and retakes to get right, and even then, while they were able to partially simulate the gait of the astronauts using helium weather balloons and cables, they were unable to simulate the movement of natural objects such as moondust and rocks.
__________________
#THEYAREUS
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list.
This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th February 2013, 05:10 PM   #237
Dcdrac
Philosopher
 
Dcdrac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,141
I was a year old in July 1969....had other things on my nascent mind mostly to do with food and milk

Last edited by Dcdrac; 26th February 2013 at 05:12 PM.
Dcdrac is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th February 2013, 05:40 PM   #238
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 18,709
Originally Posted by Dcdrac View Post
I was a year old in July 1969....had other things on my nascent mind mostly to do with food and milk
LOL, snap.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?


...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th February 2013, 08:54 PM   #239
slyjoe
Graduate Poster
 
slyjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Near Harmonica Virgins
Posts: 1,651
Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
You know the rules. Wait for the poop-related claims.
My thoughts as well. I counted at least two poop related references already.
__________________
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 02:28 AM   #240
BazBear
Possible Suspect
 
BazBear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Slightly Over The Hill, Not Too Far Around The Bend
Posts: 2,569
Originally Posted by Dcdrac View Post
I was a year old in July 1969....had other things on my nascent mind mostly to do with food and milk
I was 4 1/2, and I still think NASA was taking a big chance sending Neil and Buzz there unarmed!
__________________
I don't see how an article of clothing can be indecent. A person, yes. - Robert A. Heinlein
If Christ died for our sins, dare we make his martyrdom meaningless by not committing them? - Jules Feiffer
If you are going through hell, keep going - Winston Churchill
BazBear is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:03 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.