ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 19th January 2013, 01:53 PM   #1
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Thanks Vegans - We Can No Longer Afford Staple

Can vegans stomach the unpalatable truth about quinoa?

Quote:
Ethical consumers should be aware poor Bolivians can no longer afford their staple grain, due to western demand raising prices.
In a similar vein, I remember when chicken wings and beef skirt ( fajita meat ) were relatively cheap ( poor folks food ) until they became popular restaurant items.

Prove your computer is not a wimp ! Join Team 13232 !
Skeptical Greg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2013, 02:44 PM   #2
Sam.I.Am
Illuminator

Tell me about it. Ox tail went from about a buck a pound to up to five bucks a pound almost overnight out here. The same thing with smoked ham hocks. I was at the butchers counter the other day and even the tripe was selling for over three bucks a pound. I think that it's because restaurants are starting to serve them and people are finding out that they don't taste like they thought that they would.

That and the food channel.

About my avatar.
Sam.I.Am is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2013, 02:49 PM   #3
leftysergeant
Penultimate Amazing

Meat eaters are turning human food into animal food to supply meat eaters with more meat than they really should eat in the first place.
Old 19th January 2013, 02:53 PM   #4
TubbaBlubba
Knave of the Dudes

Originally Posted by Sam.I.Am View Post
Tell me about it. Ox tail went from about a buck a pound to up to five bucks a pound almost overnight out here. The same thing with smoked ham hocks. I was at the butchers counter the other day and even the tripe was selling for over three bucks a pound. I think that it's because restaurants are starting to serve them and people are finding out that they don't taste like they thought that they would.

That and the food channel.
My favourite cuts of meat tend to be the cheap, slow-cooked ones. I also enjoy the challenge in finding ways to cook them quickly.
Old 19th January 2013, 02:55 PM   #5
Lisa Simpson
Evil Minion
Administrator

Originally Posted by leftysergeant View Post
Meat eaters are turning human food into animal food to supply meat eaters with more meat than they really should eat in the first place.
That's not at all what the article in the OP is about.

Facts are satanic litter on the heavenly highway to blind faith! - Betty Bowers
Lisa Simpson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2013, 03:07 PM   #6
GrouchoMarxist
Cowardly insulter of Buddhism

How much meat should a meat eater eat, if a meat eater shoud eat meat?
Old 19th January 2013, 03:32 PM   #7
NotJesus
Unsaviory

As Roseanne Roseannadanna would say -- It's always something.
I have now reread what I've just written, and I see that I'm much more intelligent than what I've written. How does it come about that what an intelligent man expresses is much stupider than what remains inside him?
-Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Adolescent
NotJesus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2013, 03:36 PM   #8
Duffy Moon
Master Poster

I bought some quinoa for the first time last week.
I haven't tried it yet though.

It's pronounced 'keen-wa', apparently.
Duffy Moon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2013, 03:38 PM   #9
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

Issues of food export are quite common in history, but I don't really see what veganism has to do with it, other than the author's desperate attempts to connect the two. Seems like an attempted cheap shot at those silly "first-world ethical consumers" rather than an examination of the problem.

Here's the first vegan response I found to the article, and the author is similarly confused about the target for the antagonism.

Quote:
Like, if we stopped buying quinoa, would that help people in Bolivia? I don’t see how it would. So what’s the right answer? I would think it had to do with politics and if the Bolivian government can control prices and exports. But really I don’t know—do you? If you don’t, Blythman is not here to help. She offers no solutions, insights, or suggestions; she just uses this very complicated situation as an excuse to question our values as vegans. If she has some solutions or a plan to solve the quinoa issue, I’m all ears. But I don’t need some omni telling me how to be a better vegan.
Old 19th January 2013, 03:58 PM   #10
Alareth
Expert Expertologist

My philosophy is that nature gave me canines for a reason and evolution is slowly moving in the direction of fewer molars for grinding roughage.

Therefore, pass the steak.

Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak
Alareth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2013, 04:18 PM   #11
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Originally Posted by Alareth View Post
My philosophy is that nature gave me canines for a reason and evolution is slowly moving in the direction of fewer molars for grinding roughage.

This is not a Vegan vs Meat eating thread; please contribute to the topic..

Originally Posted by Tsukasa Buddha View Post
Issues of food export are quite common in history, but I don't really see what veganism has to do with it, other than the author's desperate attempts to connect the two. Seems like an attempted cheap shot at those silly "first-world ethical consumers" rather than an examination of the problem.
Desperate ? Cheap shot ?

What do you think is the problem?

I'm willing to listen if you can think of another explanation ..

Quote:
Like, if we stopped buying quinoa, would that help people in Bolivia? I don’t see how it would.
Well duhh..

If the demand went down, so would the price; which is what is hurting the people in Bolivia..

Prove your computer is not a wimp ! Join Team 13232 !

Last edited by Skeptical Greg; 19th January 2013 at 04:19 PM.
Skeptical Greg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2013, 04:29 PM   #12
bobwtfomg
Critical Thinker

Thirld world countries exporting foodstuffs to richer developed countries leading to rising food prices and consequently to malnutrition and hunger is a real problem.
Much of this is then fed to animals to satisfy the demands of first world meat eaters.
Putting all the blame onto vegans seems like misdirection, is it even true that quinoa is eaten mostly by vegans?

btw I'm not a vegan.
bobwtfomg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2013, 04:31 PM   #13
Kahalachan
Illuminator

The article says chicken is now cheaper than quinoa. So Bolivians will eat more meat.

So they won't go hungry or starve. They'll just kill more animals cause of vegans.
Kahalachan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2013, 04:45 PM   #14
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post
Desperate ? Cheap shot ?
Yes, we don't know how much of the demand is due to vegans, we don't know how the local government reacted to this demand, etc.

The Big Thing for "ethical consumers" right now is local grown, so I kinda doubt they are the cause of the increase.

Quote:
It could be any number of things. The government could have been lax in providing infrastructure for increased demand, or perhaps some protectionism could have been in order (*gasp*). I don't know, but having read about many other food export dilemmas, I highly doubt vegans are to blame. They would have just provided a demand (of some extent).

Quote:
Well duhh..

If the demand went down, so would the price; which is what is hurting the people in Bolivia..
We need five cc's Adam Smith, stat!
Old 19th January 2013, 04:52 PM   #15
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

This article is a deeper look at it. For me, it is another food export story. The vegan angle is incidental.

And hang on, isn't this supposed to be what happens when the Free Market lifts agrarian societies out of poverty (once we stop subsidising local growers)?

Last edited by Tsukasa Buddha; 19th January 2013 at 04:58 PM.
Tsukasa Buddha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2013, 05:55 PM   #16
jasonpatterson
Philanthropic Misanthrope

In a similar vein, I remember when chicken wings and beef skirt ( fajita meat ) were relatively cheap ( poor folks food ) until they became popular restaurant items.
Doesn't this mean that there are farmers in Bolivia making a killing? The same type of person who is buying quinoa also tends to be the sort of person who would buy 'ethically sourced' foods as well, I suspect. ('Ethically sourced' in quotes because I don't really want to start an argument about who gets money from what.) If the price for selling locally wasn't lower than the price of selling (ultimately) at Whole Foods, then the farmers would happily sell at the market down the road.

Originally Posted by Duffy Moon View Post
I bought some quinoa for the first time last week.
I haven't tried it yet though.

It's pronounced 'keen-wa', apparently.
It's OK, nothing special really. We've been buying the stuff for about a decade because my wife found some recipe for it a while back. We only go through about 2 pounds a year though. If you find some way to cook it that winds up being spectacular, feel free to PM me.
jasonpatterson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2013, 06:30 PM   #17
Modified
Illuminator

Isn't this a result of the gluten-free/wheat-is-evil craze?
Modified is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2013, 06:35 PM   #18
Unabogie
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Modified View Post
Isn't this a result of the gluten-free/wheat-is-evil craze?
No. Quinoa has a lot of protein, so it's a good grain to use if you don't eat meat. Plus it's delicious.
Unabogie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2013, 02:06 AM   #19
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

I'm not even a vegan, but this is bull.

First of all, do only vegans eat quinoa? And even if they did, so what?

The best cure for high prices is high prices. If wealthy people with a taste for quinoa are driving the price of it up, then more farmers will want to grow quinoa. Supply will catch up with demand. And wealth will be transferred to the countries that produce it. Poor countries can only develop economically if they have something they can sell that other countries want to buy. So Bolivians and Peruvians can thank vegans for helping them to become a more developed country. More development means a higher standard of living for the people.

Furthermore, you could make the same argument about any food. The US turns corn into ethanol to fuel cars, driving up the price of food everywhere.
Old 20th January 2013, 02:45 AM   #20
Brian-M
Daydreamer

Originally Posted by Kahalachan View Post
The article says chicken is now cheaper than quinoa. So Bolivians will eat more meat.

So they won't go hungry or starve. They'll just kill more animals cause of vegans.
That doesn't mean that chicken has gotten cheaper, just that quinoa is a lot more expensive. Those who were barely able to afford quinoa as a food staple will be forced to spend more money for less food.
Old 20th January 2013, 03:01 AM   #21
bit_pattern
Illuminator

You pretty much invited that kind of response with the way you framed the thread with your provocative title...

"In this political climate, all of science is vulnerable to ideological attack when reality disagrees with political beliefs."
bit_pattern is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2013, 01:22 PM   #22
dafydd
Banned

Originally Posted by Alareth View Post

With Bearnaise sauce.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2013, 01:57 PM   #23
IMST
If Charlie Parker Was a Gunslinger, There'd Be a Whole Lot of Dead Copycats

Why isn't the answer here growing more of the stuff?
Looks like it's demands are to have a miserable climate and soil. I'm pretty sure that's achievable.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quinoa#Cultivation
Old 20th January 2013, 02:58 PM   #24
Halfcentaur
Philosopher

A good chuck eye steak puts ribeye and tbone to shame.
Halfcentaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2013, 03:35 PM   #25
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by IMST View Post
Why isn't the answer here growing more of the stuff?
It is.
Old 20th January 2013, 03:52 PM   #26
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Really? I didn't know that grass was human food...

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2013, 03:55 PM   #27
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Desperate ? Cheap shot ?

I'm willing to listen if you can think of another explanation ..

Well duhh..

You make some good points. That probably explains why nobody in Saudi Arabia can afford to buy gas anymore, either.

Oh, wait. No it doesn't.

Usually, when demand for a product goes up, the people who produce the product get wealthier. If that's not happening in Bolivia, it's probably because Bolivians are doing it wrong, not because their market is growing.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2013, 04:24 PM   #28
ThunderChunky
Graduate Poster

I eat quinoa with meat.
ThunderChunky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2013, 04:37 PM   #29
Kevin_Lowe
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
If you do a bit of research, it's going to turn out that animals raised for meat do eat an awful lot of human-edible grains. Even pasture-raised animals are often grain-fed in feedlots for a final burst of weight gain before slaughter.

In terms of energy-efficiency this is inarguably a terrible way to create calories for human consumption.
Thinking is skilled work....People with untrained minds should no more expect to think clearly and logically than people who have never learned and never practiced can expect to find themselves good carpenters, golfers, bridge-players, or pianists.
-- Alfred Mander
Kevin_Lowe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2013, 04:38 PM   #30
appalling
Critical Thinker

Lots of people do it wrong, then.

There are certainly some people who cannot afford gas in Saudi Arabia. It's not nobody, true, but it's not a "gas for everybody" utopia.
appalling is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2013, 04:40 PM   #31
Darth Rotor
Salted Sith Cynic

Quote:
Here's the first vegan response I found to the article, and the author is similarly confused about the target for the antagonism.
Quote:
Quote:
Like, if we stopped buying quinoa, would that help people in Bolivia?
About as vacuous a response as I'd have predicted. No surprise.
"Jesus wept, but did He laugh?"--F.H. Buckley____"There is one thing that was too great for God to show us when He walked upon our earth ... His mirth." --Chesterton__"If the barbarian in us is excised, so is our humanity."--D'rok__ "I only use my gun whenever kindness fails."-- Robert Earl Keen__"Sturgeon spares none.". -- The Marquis
Darth Rotor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2013, 04:47 PM   #32
Darth Rotor
Salted Sith Cynic

Originally Posted by ThunderChunky View Post
I eat quinoa with meat.
Ok, nice response. We've tried a few quinoa dishes, and we like them.

I seem to recall that about five or six years ago, when the idiotic "corn for gasoline" madness was really big, the price of corn for the average Mexican family to make tortillas with about doubled. For those living at the harder edge of the socio economic spectrum, this was a non trivial hardship. That price spike didn't last, but for a short while, it put a burden on people thanks to crap policy.

This has nothing to do with policy, but with taste and trends. There is no accounting for taste, which you can't legislate. Blame game seems rather lame, from here.

Heads off to set fire to some charcoal.

Gonna do kabobs and grilled veggies for dinner tonight. No quinoa in the house, so any chance I had to oppress Bolivians is negated by mere non presence.
"Jesus wept, but did He laugh?"--F.H. Buckley____"There is one thing that was too great for God to show us when He walked upon our earth ... His mirth." --Chesterton__"If the barbarian in us is excised, so is our humanity."--D'rok__ "I only use my gun whenever kindness fails."-- Robert Earl Keen__"Sturgeon spares none.". -- The Marquis
Darth Rotor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2013, 04:59 PM   #33
Kevin_Lowe
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darth Rotor View Post
About as vacuous a response as I'd have predicted. No surprise.
Thinking is skilled work....People with untrained minds should no more expect to think clearly and logically than people who have never learned and never practiced can expect to find themselves good carpenters, golfers, bridge-players, or pianists.
-- Alfred Mander
Kevin_Lowe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2013, 05:04 PM   #34
Darth Rotor
Salted Sith Cynic

Originally Posted by Kevin_Lowe View Post
Kevin, if you choose to hold idiot speak in high regard, you should take no pride in that.

looks to be your bumper sticker at the moment.
Old 20th January 2013, 05:21 PM   #35
appalling
Critical Thinker

The presence of the word "Like" did not make her question unintelligible or necessarily vacuous to me.

It seemed ungenerous to focus on it.

You seemed to say there that you expect to hear vacuous things from anyone vegan, which could, in turn, be thought of as a vacuous suggestion.
appalling is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2013, 06:13 PM   #36
Kevin_Lowe
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darth Rotor View Post
Kevin, if you choose to hold idiot speak in high regard, you should take no pride in that.

looks to be your bumper sticker at the moment.
You don't see the irony in posting a comment that consists of absolutely nothing whatsoever other than the unsupported claim that someone else's argument is vacuous?
-- Alfred Mander
Old 20th January 2013, 08:38 PM   #37
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Even the article in the OP says the following:

Quote:
Soya, a foodstuff beloved of the vegan lobby as an alternative to dairy products, is another problematic import, one that drives environmental destruction [see footnote]. Embarrassingly, for those who portray it as a progressive alternative to planet-destroying meat, soya production is now one of the two main causes of deforestation in South America, along with cattle ranching, where vast expanses of forest and grassland have been felled to make way for huge plantations.
Meaning that cattle ranching is the No.1 main cause of deforestation in South America and soya production is 2nd.
Old 20th January 2013, 09:06 PM   #38
appalling
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Soya, a foodstuff beloved of the vegan lobby as an alternative to dairy products, is another problematic import
It's also outright misleading to represent soya as a specifically vegan concern.

What a funny bias. China is a major buyer of soya, not the vegans the writer of the article is likely to have encountered in the UK.
Old 20th January 2013, 11:54 PM   #39
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by appalling View Post
Lots of people do it wrong, then.

There are certainly some people who cannot afford gas in Saudi Arabia. It's not nobody, true, but it's not a "gas for everybody" utopia.
Far be it from me to suggest that Saudi Arabia is a utopia.

On the other hand, whose fault is it that some people in Saudi Arabia are impoverished? Those that willingly pay the market price for gasoline? Or those that control the supply?

And in Bolivia? Whose fault is it that some Bolivians are impoverished? Is it the fault of those who are willing to pay a premium for quinoa? How does that work?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2013, 03:12 AM   #40
bit_pattern
Illuminator

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
You live in NZ, dude. The rest of the Western world (i.e. EU and NA) feed their stock with grain.

"In this political climate, all of science is vulnerable to ideological attack when reality disagrees with political beliefs."
bit_pattern is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events