ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 20th January 2013, 07:00 AM   #41
Sparkyryan
New Blood

Re: ...the HEART of the EARTH.

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
Look, they've thought about that. There's a sun in the middle of the earth, silly!
Must be what's causing global warming
Sparkyryan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2013, 07:22 AM   #42
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

Personally, I love hollow-Earth stories. I don't know of any well-realized fictional versions prior to Jules Verne, but likely there were some.
Mythology has various sorts of peoples and civilizations living underground, and of course various sorts of afterlife scenarios have had the departed living underground in one situation or another.
A throwback to pre-history and cave-dwelling, perhaps? Surely some of our primitive ancestors, living in the accessible parts of huge cave systems, must have wondered what was "down there" in apparently-endless cave systems....
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2013, 09:28 AM   #43
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Originally Posted by devnull View Post
I really gotta move cities.

Inner Perth.

That's where you need to be.

Life is mostly Froth and Bubble - Adam Lindsay Gordon

The Australasian Skeptics Forum
Akhenaten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2013, 09:52 AM   #44
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
Look, they've thought about that. There's a sun in the middle of the earth, silly!
Nice. Mathematically impossible, but nice all the same.

Shell theorem shows that there's nothing keeping that central sun central. Everything and everyone inside that hollow earth is weightless and if that central sun has any appreciable mass they'll all just gradually drift into it.

And that's ignoring the problems of how you make a planet like that in the first place, how its little 'sun' shines and why the planet shell doesn't immediately collapse under its own weight.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2013, 10:01 AM   #45
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Morlocks, Mole People or CHUDs?
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2013, 10:17 AM   #46
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
No, just the lost tribes of Israel. Maybe someone decided there were just too few conspiracy theories about Jews.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2013, 10:45 AM   #47
Pup
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
Personally, I love hollow-Earth stories.
Some folks here may know that I do living history, and several years ago, I needed to develop a portrayal of a slightly batty fictional but typical guy from the mid-19th century, sort of like conspiracy theory folks today. Well, coincidentally, belief in a hollow earth was what I picked.

So I'd run across folks like John Cleve Symmes and Jeremiah Reynolds, who gave the idea a boost in the early 19th century, but never realized that any 19th century Mormons had picked up on it.

But sure enough, here's a website with a lot of original documents by or about John Cleve Symmes, with an emphasis on Mormonism:

http://olivercowdery.com/texts/1818symm.htm

The vast majority of items on that page, as far as I can tell, are just about Symmes and not connected to Mormonism, and are just there to put his theories in context, when mentioned by Mormons.

Searching down the page for the word "Mormon" points out where the LDS church and Symmes' theories intersected. It seems that it was something out on the speculative fringe, promoted by a few members mostly in the very late 19th and early 20th centuries, certainly never even close to doctrine, nor widely believed even among LDS members.
Pup is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2013, 10:53 AM   #48
Craig4
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Pup View Post
Some folks here may know that I do living history, and several years ago, I needed to develop a portrayal of a slightly batty fictional but typical guy from the mid-19th century, sort of like conspiracy theory folks today. Well, coincidentally, belief in a hollow earth was what I picked.

So I'd run across folks like John Cleve Symmes and Jeremiah Reynolds, who gave the idea a boost in the early 19th century, but never realized that any 19th century Mormons had picked up on it.

But sure enough, here's a website with a lot of original documents by or about John Cleve Symmes, with an emphasis on Mormonism:

http://olivercowdery.com/texts/1818symm.htm

The vast majority of items on that page, as far as I can tell, are just about Symmes and not connected to Mormonism, and are just there to put his theories in context, when mentioned by Mormons.

Searching down the page for the word "Mormon" points out where the LDS church and Symmes' theories intersected. It seems that it was something out on the speculative fringe, promoted by a few members mostly in the very late 19th and early 20th centuries, certainly never even close to doctrine, nor widely believed even among LDS members.
Mormonism does tend to have a finger in the wind, ready to change direction when needed to keep the converts coming don't they?
Craig4 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2013, 11:09 AM   #49
Pup
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Mormonism does tend to have a finger in the wind, ready to change direction when needed to keep the converts coming don't they?
Actually, I think this is evidence of just the opposite. Because the church attracts individuals who are open to non-mainstream ideas about scripture, those same individuals may also be open to other non-mainstream ideas promoted by other people.

The church itself, though, seems to have a finger in the wind which results in a general movement in the opposite direction. In other words, the more mainstream the church keeps its doctrine, the wider the base of converts they can pull from.

So while individual members may promote oddball stuff, the church itself seems like it's gradually becoming more like other mainstream religions. No more polygamy, no more expectation for members to relocate to Utah when they convert, equality for blacks, less insistence on scriptural literalism.

An insistence in the belief--as official doctrine--that the earth is hollow, would drive away more converts than attract them, and I think the church realized that even in the 1890s, and certainly does today.

Of course, that's not unique to the LDS church. One can see most large religions tending toward the norm, as they grow and adapt.
Pup is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2013, 11:18 AM   #50
korenyx
Muse

Originally Posted by Astreja View Post
Am I reading this correctly? Do you, Janadele, actually believe that the earth is hollow and inhabited by "lost tribes"?

I doubt very much that the water from the alleged Noachide flood was hiding down there. If the water somehow magically retreated back down there after the flood, the "lost tribes" are either mer-people or probably drowned. If there was a cavity that previously held enough water to cover the Earth to a depth of 29,029 feet, earthquakes would have cracked the shell open long ago.

(TL;DR version: What???)
I thought the Nazis had their secret submarine base there.
korenyx is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2013, 11:29 AM   #51
tsig
a carbon based life-form

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post

Shell theorem shows that there's nothing keeping that central sun central. Everything and everyone inside that hollow earth is weightless and if that central sun has any appreciable mass they'll all just gradually drift into it.

And that's ignoring the problems of how you make a planet like that in the first place, how its little 'sun' shines and why the planet shell doesn't immediately collapse under its own weight.

Plus it'd get mighty hot in there.
tsig is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2013, 01:57 PM   #52
Cat Tale
Thinker

Originally Posted by Janadele View Post
There is much of which we mortals have no present knowledge, which is yet to be revealed.
Yep, it's being revealed to you right now.
Cat Tale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2013, 03:31 PM   #53
catsmate1
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by korenyx View Post
I thought the Nazis had their secret submarine base there.
Wrong end, the secret Nazi base was at the south pole.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2013, 03:45 PM   #54
Cat Tale
Thinker

Originally Posted by Empress View Post
So a couple of LDS "scientists" decide, despite massive amounts of evidence to the contrary, that the earth is hollow, and you just say "Okay, good, done! Hollow world it is!!" You do realize that even most Mormons that truly accept the silliness of the Book of Mormon still don't accept this nonsense, right?
You are correct Empress, this is just utter nonsense.
Cat Tale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2013, 03:56 PM   #55
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Ray Palme, Abandonderos, Flying Saucers, Shaver, etc.:

http://www.madladdesigns.co.uk/clien...ollowearth.htm

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2013, 04:01 PM   #56
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Then: http://ureader.de/msg/11821490.aspx

Note: unless you read German, skip the first 3 or 4 items.....

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2013, 04:45 PM   #57
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Now I'll admit I don't know a whole lot of physics and all that sciency stuff, but I seem to recall hearing that if the earth were hollow its gravity would not be the same as if it were solid, and since I have heard tell that some scientist types actually know something about gravity and how it works, and that some geologists have gone so far as to figure out the density of the part of the earth we can get to, and a few other niggling details....well, if the earth were hollow wouldn't it be someplace else? And wouldn't we have some different tides? And maybe you could jump really really high. Stuff like that.

And there's some nonsense some math geeks thought up about linear velocities, too. All numbers and arcane stuff, but wouldn't being near to the center make your head spin and your coffee spill on your shirt?

I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2013, 04:55 PM   #58
pakeha
Penultimate Amazing

^
Eew.
Coffee stains.
pakeha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2013, 05:05 PM   #59
FreshHat
Why, You Little...

Sorry, Janadele, but Guy Maddin does a much cooler version of a similar story:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 20th January 2013, 05:29 PM   #60
korenyx
Muse

Originally Posted by catsmate1 View Post
Wrong end, the secret Nazi base was at the south pole.
I just can't keep my hollow earth stories straight.
korenyx is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2013, 05:37 PM   #61
RecoveringYuppy
Illuminator

Someone fell asleep in front of Superman And the Mole Men as a child, didn't they?

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2013, 05:38 PM   #62
ehcks
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post

And if you try to claim that centrifugal force keeps people pushed against the surface, then you have to deal with how everyone on the outside would be thrown off into space. There's less gravity and a faster rate of spin both because we're farther away from the center.
Old 20th January 2013, 05:47 PM   #63
RecoveringYuppy
Illuminator

Originally Posted by ehcks View Post
There's less gravity [snipped the correct part] because we're farther away from the center.
There's no net gravity in a hollow sphere. That's probably easy to understand at the center where you're being pulled equally in all directions. Same is true elsewhere though because at any off center point the pull of the stuff closer to you is offset by the stuff further away because there is more stuff further away (and in exactly the right proportion).

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2013, 05:47 PM   #64
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

Gotta hand it to Janadele -- with just one post (and not a single thought of her own, just stuff she's copied wholesale from another website) she's started a thread that's already gathered over sixty posts.

Many members start a thread with careful, thoughtful and at time heartfelt opening post, and it withers on the vine after a dozen replies.

Plus, and many posters to this thread have so ably pointed out, the hollow Earth theory really is a non-starter.
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2013, 05:48 PM   #65
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Plus of course the centrifugal effect is strongest at the equator and zero at the poles, so if you entered this imagined hollow earth at high northerly latitude as described, there would be negligible centrifugal force to help you try to cling to the interior surface.
Old 20th January 2013, 05:52 PM   #66
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
Gotta hand it to Janadele -- with just one post (and not a single thought of her own, just stuff she's copied wholesale from another website) she's started a thread that's already gathered over sixty posts.
It's a good point: Janadele hasn't yet offered any opinion on whether she takes the hollow earth fantasy seriously or not. She has said it's 'interesting'.

Last edited by Jack by the hedge; 20th January 2013 at 05:53 PM.
Old 20th January 2013, 06:45 PM   #67
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
Ray Palme, Abandonderos, Flying Saucers, Shaver, etc.:

http://www.madladdesigns.co.uk/clien...ollowearth.htm
Ah. I Remember Lemuria! Richard_Sharpe_ShaverWP

Quote:
Shaver wrote of extremely advanced prehistoric races who had built cavern cities inside the Earth before abandoning Earth for another planet due to damaging radiation from the Sun. Those ancients also abandoned some of their own offspring here, a minority of whom remained noble and human "Teros", while most degenerated over time into a population of mentally impaired sadists known as "Deros" short for "detrimental robots.". Shaver's "robots" were not mechanical constructs, but were robot-like due to their savage behaviour.
Old 20th January 2013, 07:39 PM   #68
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

Hollow earth that inhabits lost tribes, International Internet rules and mysterious golden plates. It's like I'm reading headlines from the weekly world news.

------------------------------------------------
I am 100% confident all psychics and mediums are frauds.
Nay_Sayer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2013, 08:29 PM   #69
fromdownunder
Illuminator

Janadele seems to be reluctant to come back to this thread. Maybe she has talked about this to her masters, and they have explained to her that it is not a good idea to try and think for yourself, and please in future just copy and pasta proper Mormon "teachings"

Perhaps the BoM should be labelled, as a health warning (like on cigarette packets) "Thinking is dangerous for your Belief".

Norm
fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2013, 09:38 PM   #70
Janadele
Banned

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
I wonder how this hollow earth stuff fits in with LDS teaching?
Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
Me too. Janadele, please speak to this.
Though there is much yet to be revealed, much also has been revealed. I refer you to the following post in the LDS Thread.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...43#post8930643
Janadele is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2013, 09:48 PM   #71
deaman
Philosopher

I am so sorry, but this is just not true. You are being lied too.

Seriously, you believe this? Why?

I really feel a sense of pity for people who are this gullible.

Please wake up.

Last edited by deaman; 20th January 2013 at 09:50 PM.
deaman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2013, 10:05 PM   #72
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

Though there is much yet to be revealed, much also has been revealed. I refer you to the following post in the LDS Thread.

Indeed it has, By science, One of which is that the earth is not hollow.

------------------------------------------------
I am 100% confident all psychics and mediums are frauds.
Nay_Sayer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2013, 10:15 PM   #73
Lukraak_Sisser
Master Poster

Wait.. Are you plugging some form of new LDS-funded Sci-fi/fantasy movie?

I do hope it'll be better than the LAST versions of the jules verne stories, because those movies sucked.
Lukraak_Sisser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2013, 10:20 PM   #74
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Janadele, seek help. From a professional.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2013, 10:31 PM   #75
Lukraak_Sisser
Master Poster

The more I think about it, the better it sounds.

The Heart of the Earth.

Catchy title right there.
Mormon funded, so classical explorer hero type guy (NOT Shia Leboeuf please) hired by Beautiful scientist's daughter (Damsel in distress/love interest during the movie) to find the lost ten tribes underground.
Only to find fleeing Nazi's got there first.
Now there's some classic villains to thwart!
Since the ten tribes either had no technology / were pacificsts the tech level will be WW2.
Skip any technobabble about HOW it works and focus on the adventure story (and hire a good writer for the love story) and you might just revive the adventuring genre of movies like Pirates of the Carribean did for the pirate movie.

When WILL the trailer be revealed??
Lukraak_Sisser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2013, 10:33 PM   #76
philkensebben
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
Underpant gnomes.
philkensebben is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2013, 11:01 PM   #77
Janadele
Banned

http://www.ourhollowearth.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vadj0Nkby58

Interesting links.
Janadele is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2013, 11:06 PM   #78
fromdownunder
Illuminator

So interesting that you are utterly incapable of doing anything other than linking to them.

Can you think? Or do you just leave that up to your masters?

Norm
fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2013, 12:00 AM   #79
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Janadele, seek help. From a professional.
For an amateur, she seems to be hooking plenty of fish.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2013, 12:05 AM   #80
Craig4
Philosopher

No it's just biblical stuff. That's nothing.
Craig4 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy