ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 28th January 2013, 06:02 AM   #241
truethat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dafydd View Post
Not even making a dent on it. Who needs a god for the Big Bang?
You don't. But to say that you believe in Big Bang as the answer to "how did this all get here" is such a ridiculous leap of faith statement to make when you are nailing someone to the wall for believing in something "without proof."

Big Bang is a theory that seems possible based on the HUMAN interpretation of the information and data. All science changes as we go along. To make that giant leap of faith to "This is the answer" instead of "This MIGHT be the answer" is so very typical of believer bashers.

What I find interesting about it, is most believer bashers grew up in religious homes that would bash atheists or believers of other faiths for not believing in the "real answer."

It seems to me these kinds of people then take that disgusting habit and just flip it around back on the believers once they change over to Atheist.

It wasn't cool when they were doing it as a believer and it isn't cool when they do it as an atheist.

It's childish, illogical and very ignorant. They are the kinds of people who walk around saying "I believe in Evolution" and treat beliefs like contests to see who can come up with the "better answer."

How did we get here? What caused the universe to come to be? The truth is none of us will EVER know in our lifetime. The answer is, we don't know.

Eta as I await the inevitable pile on of accusations of being a closet Christian (YET AGAIN) for those who are still struggling with reading comprehension.

A. Evolution is NOT a belief system. It's a scientific theory and fact, you don't "believe" in evolution any more than you "believe" in biology.

B. I am an aggressive atheist. I am certain that there is no god as we have as humans described god.

― Julie Rugg, A Book Addict's Treasury

Last edited by truethat; 28th January 2013 at 06:08 AM.
truethat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2013, 06:07 AM   #242
dafydd
Banned

Originally Posted by truethat View Post
You don't. But to say that you believe in Big Bang as the answer to "how did this all get here" is such a ridiculous leap of faith statement to make when you are nailing someone to the wall for believing in something "without proof."

Big Bang is a theory that seems possible based on the HUMAN interpretation of the information and data. All science changes as we go along. To make that giant leap of faith to "This is the answer" instead of "This MIGHT be the answer" is so very typical of believer bashers.
As opposed to animal understanding?
Quote:
What I find interesting about it, is most believer bashers grew up in religious homes that would bash atheists or believers of other faiths for not believing in the "real answer."
My parents were not religious. Asking believers for the evidence behind their beliefs is not bashing.
Quote:
It seems to me these kinds of people then take that disgusting habit and just flip it around back on the believers once they change over to Atheist.
I've always been an atheist. Punsssh stated that there was evidence that creator gods exist. All I did was ask to see the evidence. What is wrong with that? Punsssh said that I was not intelligent. Is that not bashing?

Quote:
It wasn't cool when they were doing it as a believer and it isn't cool when they do it as an atheist.
Which are you?

Last edited by dafydd; 28th January 2013 at 06:13 AM.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2013, 06:14 AM   #243
truethat
Penultimate Amazing

As opposed to animal understanding?

My parents were not religious. Asking believers for the evidence behind their beliefs is not bashing.

I've always been an atheist. Punsssh stated that there was evidence that creator gods exist. All I did was ask to see the evidence. What is wrong with that?

Which are you?
I was not talking about you. Why would you even think I was?????

And yes based on HUMAN understanding which in case you have not noticed is so feckin' messed up that the majority of the planet is walking around believing in invisible creators? Hello?

Or wait, if it's science then people become superhuman. Because there's never been a scientist who got it all completely wrong, and said some whacked out thing like "the earth is the center of the solar system" right?

Oh wait.....

I sometimes shake at the level of stupidity that people have when trying to explain how "we got here."

Science has come up with many interesting theories in the past that often turned out to be WRONG.

http://www.space.com/16867-black-hol...cs-theory.html

Last edited by truethat; 28th January 2013 at 06:17 AM.
truethat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2013, 06:15 AM   #244
dafydd
Banned

Hello?
Hello.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2013, 06:17 AM   #245
dafydd
Banned

Because there's never been a scientist who got it all completely wrong, and said some whacked out thing like "the earth is the center of the solar system" right?

Oh wait.....
I think you will find that religion said that. The ancient Greeks had a heliocentric theory.
Old 28th January 2013, 06:17 AM   #246
Gawdzilla
121.92-meter mutant fire-breathing lizard-thingy

Originally Posted by punshhh View Post
Homo Sapiens.
Something that took 14,000,000,000+ years to produce. Yeah, right.
Morgan Freeman does the voice-over on all my posts.
Gawdzilla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2013, 06:18 AM   #247
dafydd
Banned

Originally Posted by Gawdzilla View Post
He's a lazy sod, that creator god. Sat on his behind for all that time and then just put us on a tiny speck instead of throughout the universe. 0/10 for effort.

Last edited by dafydd; 28th January 2013 at 06:24 AM.
Old 28th January 2013, 06:21 AM   #248
dafydd
Banned

I was not talking about you. Why would you even think I was?????

Call me old fashioned, but it was because you quoted me and replied to my post. Silly me.
Old 28th January 2013, 06:23 AM   #249
truethat
Penultimate Amazing

Call me old fashioned, but it was because you quoted me and replied to my post. Silly me.
Why don't you actually read what I wrote when replying. You already stated you were atheist so why the heck would you think I was talking about YOU? You also live in Belgium no? You also posted that you don't have conversations with people because no one you know believes in God. The entire time I used the pronoun "they" so why would you think I was talking about YOU?

HEL........................LO?

Last edited by truethat; 28th January 2013 at 06:57 AM.
Old 28th January 2013, 06:24 AM   #250
Gawdzilla

It's like this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 312377_501412726569111_486056559_n.jpg (48.3 KB, 22 views)
Gawdzilla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2013, 06:25 AM   #251
dafydd
Banned

hel........................lo?
Hello again!!! Nice to meet such a friendly chap. And to think that I took you off ignore for this, Goodbye!!!!

Last edited by dafydd; 28th January 2013 at 06:26 AM.
Old 28th January 2013, 06:27 AM   #252
dafydd
Banned

It's like this:
That is it in a nutshell.
Old 28th January 2013, 06:28 AM   #253
truethat
Penultimate Amazing

I think you will find that religion said that. The ancient Greeks had a heliocentric theory.
Really? Wow I didn't know that Aristotle and Ptolemy were religious people. Imagine that, I thought Ptolemy was an astronomer and a mathematician.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geocentric_model

Quote:
Claudius Ptolemy (pron.: /ˈtɒləmi/; Greek: Κλαύδιος Πτολεμαῖος, Klaudios Ptolemaios; Latin: Claudius Ptolemaeus; c. AD 90 – c. AD 168) was a Greek-Roman citizen of Egypt who wrote in Greek.[1] He was a mathematician, astronomer, geographer, astrologer, and poet of a single epigram in the Greek Anthology.[2][3] He lived in Egypt under Roman rule, but few reliable details of his life are known. His birthplace has been given as Ptolemais Hermiou in the Thebaid, in an uncorroborated statement by the 14th century astronomer, Theodore Meliteniotes.[4] This is very late, however, and there is no other reason to suppose that he ever lived anywhere else than Alexandria,[4] where he died around AD 168.[5]

Ptolemy was the author of several scientific treatises, at least three of which were of continuing importance to later Islamic and European science. The first is the astronomical treatise now known as the Almagest (in Greek, Ἡ Μεγάλη Σύνταξις, "The Great Treatise", originally Μαθηματικὴ Σύνταξις, "Mathematical Treatise"). The second is the Geography, which is a thorough discussion of the geographic knowledge of the Greco-Roman world. The third is the astrological treatise known sometimes in Greek as the Apotelesmatika (Ἀποτελεσματικά), more commonly in Greek as the Tetrabiblos (Τετράβιβλος "Four books"), and in Latin as the Quadripartitum (or four books) in which he attempted to adapt horoscopic astrology to the Aristotelian natural philosophy of his day.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ptolemy

Last edited by truethat; 28th January 2013 at 06:32 AM.
Old 28th January 2013, 06:29 AM   #254
truethat
Penultimate Amazing

It's like this:
It's like this

"Why do you freakin' care so much what someone else believes. How about stop arguing with them."

Old 28th January 2013, 06:31 AM   #255
truethat
Penultimate Amazing

Hello again!!! Nice to meet such a friendly chap. And to think that I took you off ignore for this, Goodbye!!!!
I'm not a "chap" I'm a woman. So there's that litmus test. You are putting me back on ignore because I've pointed out how each time you have just posted a reply back without ACTUALLY READING WHAT THE PERSON SAID.

It's intellectually dishonest.

Old 28th January 2013, 06:49 AM   #256
Rasmus
Philosopher

It's like this

"Why do you freakin' care so much what someone else believes. How about stop arguing with them."
Why are you in this thread?
Old 28th January 2013, 06:51 AM   #257
punshhh
Illuminator

Birthing can be messy and drawn out.
punshhh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2013, 06:51 AM   #258
truethat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Rasmus View Post
Why are you in this thread?

Because people didn't READ what the damn statement was and jumped all over the poster as if he had made a POSITIVE statement about God that required proof.

The fact was that the poster did not do that.

I point out when people jump on a poster based on their own preset way of thinking which they then use to assume they know what the poster "meant" even if what he wrote is completely different.

Punshhh also said that they had evidence for "creation" occurring naturally in nature in such a way that it could allow them to believe that if "scaled it up" there could be a grand creator. Punshhh didn't say there WAS a grand creator.

Punshhh gave several examples of naturally evolving sophistication in creators in the world as people create. That's all they claimed they would do.

And yet two people reading the posts, completely disregarded what was written and acted like Punshhh couldn't "back up the claim" when they DID back up the claim several times.

Last edited by truethat; 28th January 2013 at 07:17 AM.
Old 28th January 2013, 06:55 AM   #259
dafydd
Banned

Birthing can be messy and drawn out.
Time to bring the thread to a close. The thread title has been justified amply.
Old 28th January 2013, 06:57 AM   #260
Gawdzilla

It's like this

I don't care what they believe, I care what they would require that I believe.
Old 28th January 2013, 06:58 AM   #261
Gawdzilla

Time to bring the thread to a close. The thread title has been justified amply.
There's no lower limit to the level of stupidity people will trot out to protect their delusions.
Old 28th January 2013, 06:59 AM   #262
dafydd
Banned

I would add ''without a shred of evidence'' to that.
Old 28th January 2013, 07:00 AM   #263
punshhh
Illuminator

Not even making a dent on it. Who needs a god for the Big Bang?
Where did the big bang originate again? What is the mechanism which results in the energy produced in the big bang? What are the cosmic circumstances required for a big bang to occur? By what process do big bang events evolve or develop?

The questions are numerous, does humanity have a clue about the answers?
punshhh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2013, 07:03 AM   #264
Gawdzilla

Where did the big bang originate again? What is the mechanism which results in the energy produced in the big bang? What are the cosmic circumstances required for a big bang to occur? By what process do big bang events evolve or develop?

Where did God originate from?
Old 28th January 2013, 07:05 AM   #265
truethat
Penultimate Amazing

Do you realize how many times you've started a thread telling believers they are stupid for not believing what you believe?

WHO? Has started as many threads telling you that you should believe what they believe?

In fact even the fundys on here don't usually do that, they just justify their own beliefs.

What's very telling about it to me, is that you only seem to target Christians, you don't really start threads about UFO believers or Ghost believers with the same level of hostility. So if it's really about the "woo" that's the problem, why not?

Also I love how as soon as I pointed out the problems in reading the actual posts and proving the actual statements that were made were true, and pointing out that believing in BIG BANG when the answer is "We don't Know" is just as bad as believing in GOD now all of a sudden, "show's over folks, let's shut down the thread."

What? The OP states that it is very common for intelligent people to believe something is true even though they have no proof for it and will not likely ever be able to have proof for it, ya know......like "Big Bang started the universe."

Like that?????

Old 28th January 2013, 07:05 AM   #266
punshhh
Illuminator

I wouldn't believe anything if I were you.

Have any "believers" contributed to this thread do you think? Perhaps one near the beginning, but thats it.
Old 28th January 2013, 07:06 AM   #267
dafydd
Banned

The investigation is ongoing, but the answer will not involve mysticism or gods. Woo will never answer these questions. If you really are interested there are many science books available
Old 28th January 2013, 07:06 AM   #268
truethat
Penultimate Amazing

There has been no positive statement about God made in this thread.

You and Daffydd have made positive statements about Big Bang.

PROVE IT.

Otherwise you are doing the exact same thing you are accusing the believers of doing.

Old 28th January 2013, 07:07 AM   #269
dafydd
Banned

I wouldn't believe anything if I were you.

Have any "believers" contributed to this thread do you think? Perhaps one near the beginning, but thats it.
Ah, so you are an atheist? You don't believe in the existence of gods? You should have said so earlier.
Old 28th January 2013, 07:07 AM   #270
punshhh
Illuminator

The evidence suggests that if there is a god, it evolved naturally.
Old 28th January 2013, 07:07 AM   #271
Gawdzilla

Do you realize how many times you've started a thread telling believers they are stupid for not believing what you believe?
Link?
Old 28th January 2013, 07:08 AM   #272
truethat
Penultimate Amazing

The investigation is ongoing, but the answer will not involve mysticism or gods. Woo will never answer these questions. If you really are interested there are many science books available
The opposite of Big Bang is not "God."

You don't get to leap over "proof" just because your theory is "not God." Prove it, if you can't prove it then you basically have an "irrational belief" in "something you can't prove."

You know, like fairies?

Old 28th January 2013, 07:08 AM   #273
dafydd
Banned

There you go again, mentioning evidence but not presenting it.
Old 28th January 2013, 07:08 AM   #274
Gawdzilla

From what?
Old 28th January 2013, 07:10 AM   #275
Gawdzilla

The opposite of Big Bang is not "God."

You don't get to leap over "proof" just because your theory is "not God." Prove it, if you can't prove it then you basically have an "irrational belief" in "something you can't prove."

You know, like fairies?
It's pixies, please. And you will never find a scientific explanation for "God", because there isn't one, your god exists only inside your head.
Old 28th January 2013, 07:10 AM   #276
dafydd
Banned

Link?
He doesn't get it. People can believe what they like. All I ask for is evidence, which is never forthcoming. One would think that it does not exist.
Old 28th January 2013, 07:10 AM   #277
truethat
Penultimate Amazing

Link?

So you don't want to answer the direct question?

Let's say it again. Link to where anyone made a positive statement about God in this thread?

Then prove that Big Bang is the origin of the Universe. If you can't then why do you "believe it."

And saying "well it's better than the God answer" is like saying you believe that Batman invented the universe because you like that answer better. Just because you like it better doesn't make it true.

It's a theory, one that has had major changes and adjustments over time. You know....like how "science works."

Old 28th January 2013, 07:11 AM   #278
punshhh
Illuminator

Ah, so you are an atheist? You don't believe in the existence of gods? You should have said so earlier.
Don't you remember I said there are people who consider the existence of gods who don't believe in a god. I am not an atheist, that would require a belief.
Old 28th January 2013, 07:12 AM   #279
punshhh
Illuminator

There you go again, mentioning evidence but not presenting it.
I already did, look in the mirror, remember.
Old 28th January 2013, 07:12 AM   #280
truethat
Penultimate Amazing

It's pixies, please. And you will never find a scientific explanation for "God", because there isn't one, your god exists only inside your head.
A. I don't believe in God. I have stated that several times. So what "your god" are you referring to?

B. AGAIN.... reading comprehension. Please link to the post in this thread that made a positive statement about God?

C. Please prove that Big Bang is responsible for the origins of the universe.

If you can't then you are believing something without proof. This is illogical.

Hope you and Arthur Conan Doyle enjoy your membership to the same club of irrational believers.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy