ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 27th January 2013, 01:50 PM   #81
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by dafydd View Post
We should follow his example of never studying anything.
Well, up until he said vile things about another forum member and I banished him from my reading, it was clearly obvious that any time he was supposed to be studying was clearly.wasted.

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2013, 01:51 PM   #82
dafydd
Banned

Originally Posted by Paul W View Post
I had a girlfriend once who washed her hair in vinegar. She said the vinegar made her hair glossy.

I just reckoned that it made her smell like fish and chips.
Varnish would make your hair glossy too.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2013, 01:53 PM   #83
ElMondoHummus
0.25 short of being half-witted

Well, regardless of whether he's a Scientology advocate or not, one thing remains certain. This statement:
Originally Posted by Jonesboy View Post
Without evidence for mental illness, nor even a definition that works...
... is just plain, outright wrong. It's notable that he hasn't even tried to support this with argument, he's just stated it as axiomatic. When your premise is off, the rest of your argument is going to suffer. You can choose to take the DSM-IV classifications as your starting point of research and then go look up the body of knowledge behind those to find the evidence of mental disorders existing, or you can choose the ICD-10 and do the same there, but either way, a blanket statement about no evidence existing is simply, demonstrably wrong.

The sad thing is, if the claim was limited to criticism about the current state of knowledge and the large margins of uncertainty, he'd find tons of support - legitimate, informed support - for the mindset and at least a willingness to entertain claims. But trying to claim that the field's base of knowledge is nonexistent is a whole other level. That's the point where the criticism becomes seen as uninformed, and therefore dismissed outright.
"... my favorite meal is grilled filet of spherical cow of uniform density ... with a side of mashed potatoes of indeterminate volume, peas arranged in an optimal packing configuration, and a glass of ideal fluid." (PhysicsForums)
ElMondoHummus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2013, 02:00 PM   #84
ElMondoHummus

I had a girlfriend once who washed her hair in vinegar. She said the vinegar made her hair glossy.
Glossy? I thought the point of acidic hair treatments was to make the hair soft.

Then again, what do I know? I have a damn near buzz cut and use any ole shampoo in the shower, so it's not like I experiment any with my hair.

I just reckoned that it made her smell like fish and chips.
Oddly enough, that turns me on...

"... my favorite meal is grilled filet of spherical cow of uniform density ... with a side of mashed potatoes of indeterminate volume, peas arranged in an optimal packing configuration, and a glass of ideal fluid." (PhysicsForums)
ElMondoHummus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2013, 01:45 AM   #85
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Lifestyle choice. Simply that.
Yes, he chose to have those terrifying paralysing panic attacks

Make no mistake, he would not have got support from the psychiatric clutch. They are quite solidly against supporting natural processes and resolutions, preferring instead a regime of emotional and social suppression.
Strangely enough when he was on his medication and attending his CBT sessions he felt so much better - so much better that he felt that he no longer required the medication or CBT sessions, went off his medication and ended up back in his cycle.

I'm not claiming that treatment is always successful (or indeed is ever wholly successful) but to dismiss it all and claim instead that there isn't a brain chemistry component to many metal disorders is to condemn those people suffering to a (shortened) lifetime of suffering.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2013, 03:13 AM   #86
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

I note this lovely morn that Jb has departed this vale of tears by way of the banhammer.

Could have happened to a nicer guy, but probably would not have.

I am sure someone here will miss him. I'm sure we will all try to help that person with his control problem.

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2013, 03:28 AM   #87
Sideroxylon
Gavagai!

I guess I will never find out why dandruff is something that needs treatment while incapacitating and distressing mental conditions are not.
Old 28th January 2013, 03:38 AM   #88
freedy
Scholar

Who do you think promotes Halloween?

It isn't the Celts!
In Australia we have no meaningful cultural ties to Halloween. Retail outlets promote Halloween. (The God of Money)
freedy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2013, 03:48 AM   #89
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Never mind, Jonesboy's been banned.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2013, 03:54 AM   #90
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by dafydd View Post
Which evil cabal promotes St. Valentine's Day?
Hallmarkofthebeast.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2013, 07:17 AM   #91
crhkrebs
Critical Thinker

Hardly a dodge. Without evidence for mental illness, nor even a definition that works, there is only cultural forces left.
Dodge #2 noted. Again, you weren't asked about evidence or a definition of mental illness. You were asked a specific question.

For a third time you are being asked, "Please produce any evidence that substantiates your claim that modern medicine is not based on evidence based methodology, but rather on religion".

Your continued refusal to address this question indicates one or more of the following:

1) Your reading comprehension is sufficiently low enough to make you incapable of answering.

2) You can understand the question, but realize you actually have no such evidence to support your claims. Your claims are mere proclamations. Instead of coming clean and admitting this, you choose to ignore the question.

3) You are a troll, here to waste everyone's time.

I suspect the real answer is a combination of all 3. Btw, I have asked for the sources of your proclamations on a few of the threads that you have started here at JREF. So far you have dodged all of them.

This is a discussion board. Asking questions and receiving pertinent answers is how intelligent people have discussions. Try it sometime!
crhkrebs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2013, 07:26 AM   #92
crhkrebs
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
I note this lovely morn that Jb has departed this vale of tears by way of the banhammer.

Could have happened to a nicer guy, but probably would not have.

I am sure someone here will miss him. I'm sure we will all try to help that person with his control problem.
Oh dear, I missed the news of his banning.

Fuelair, you have a more charitable way of describing how we dealt with Jonsey. I felt more like a bored kitten, toying with a not-so-interesting piece of yarn. I'll try and think we were helping him.
crhkrebs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2013, 06:18 AM   #93
Captain_Swoop
Philosopher

What did they get him for ?
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2013, 10:40 AM   #94
grmcdorman
Muse

According to the ban notice, repeated violations of the MA, including several Rule 1 breaches:

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=252158
Old 29th January 2013, 01:59 PM   #95
ElMondoHummus

Originally Posted by grmcdorman View Post
According to the ban notice, repeated violations of the MA, including several Rule 1 breaches:

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=252158
"Potentially criminal"? Whoa! I gotta go read those other threads; sounds exciting.
Old 29th January 2013, 02:33 PM   #96
jaydeehess
Penultimate Amazing

There is no evidence for mental illness. The reason for this is that it is a social category, and can merit no physical evidence.

So, it is up to the mental illness pundits to say what the evidence is for mental illness. And there is none, not least because there is no coherent definition of the term coming from their camp.
well the guy I witnessed literally argueing politics with his bicycle during which the bicycle was apparently responding, would not appear to be experiencing the same reality the vast majority of us do in which inanimate objects(or perhaps invisible entities perched upon those objects) can have opinions
jaydeehess is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2013, 04:27 PM   #97
Wolrab
Master Poster

Damned commie, green bicycles. Always so smug and superior.

I sincerely wonder what someone on meds for a mental illness thinks of posts they made when off their meds.
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov
Wolrab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2013, 08:20 PM   #98
Little 10 Toes
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by ElMondoHummus View Post
"Potentially criminal"? Whoa! I gotta go read those other threads; sounds exciting.
The thread ended up in AAH.

EDIT: correction, some of the "Potentially criminal" posts are deleted/moved away from prying eyes.

Last edited by Little 10 Toes; 29th January 2013 at 08:24 PM.
Little 10 Toes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2013, 08:44 PM   #99
AdMan
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Little 10 Toes View Post
The thread ended up in AAH.

EDIT: correction, some of the "Potentially criminal" posts are deleted/moved away from prying eyes.

He was seeking information on where to purchase illicit substances.
Old 29th January 2013, 10:08 PM   #100
littleelvira

In the societies of the West certain experiences are frowned upon. The unlucky person will look to a doctor to get them excised from his or her mental emporium, a dangerous step I think.

Yet in these same societies the experiences and thoughts of poets, artists, bards, and psychics are allowed some freedom from the treatment mandate, and often found acceptable by the public. Madness can come to the door of those who seek solutions in the wrong places. It is not what you ask but who you ask.

However, in some non-Western countries experiences of dying, and other altered states and perceptions are also accepted. In western society these experiences are reclassified en masse into the discourse of pathology whose terms we juggle with today - depression, bipolar, schizo-x, and the like.

The driving forces of these models are cultural, and always religious. Even the medical model of the West is driven, not by science, but by religion and its off-shoots: Science frowns upon any experience that detracts from the armchair domain of experience bequethed to us by our judeo-christian moral history. It is this model that drives the medical model of experience today and drives the promotion of the "mental disorder" which is, ultimately, a social category whose values are founded on judeo-christian materialism.
WOW, that's great. I think Americans are depressed generally though. Mostly because they are inactive.
littleelvira is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2013, 12:46 AM   #101
Sideroxylon
Gavagai!

Great. A great big straw man.
Old 30th January 2013, 02:51 PM   #102
bigred
Penultimate Amazing

Aren't attention whores the cutest little thing

So back to chili: anyone got a kick-butt recipe?
bigred is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2013, 03:33 PM   #103
lopeyschools
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by ElMondoHummus View Post
I had exactly the same reaction.

lol
lopeyschools is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2013, 03:47 PM   #104
ElMondoHummus

Originally Posted by AdMan View Post
He was seeking information on where to purchase illicit substances.
Good God, are you serious? OMG, how lame is that?

I mean, I'm as mama's-boy as it comes where "illicit substances" are concerned, but even I can figure out who to ask without revealing my intent on an freakin' internet forum in front of a bunch of total strangers.

Jesus... I knew the guy was benighted, but that's a whole level beyond what I first thought.
Old 30th January 2013, 04:37 PM   #105
dafydd
Banned

There were some insults too.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology