ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy
 

Notices


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 10th February 2013, 02:19 PM   #201
tsig
a carbon based life-form
 
tsig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 34,511
Originally Posted by CplFerro View Post
Dear Dinwar,

I donít like the idea of damnation any more than you do, but the concept remains: That man in his sin is not just committing a finite transgression, like stealing a pack of chewing gum; heís attacking an infinitely good and beautiful being and therefore doing what amounts to infinite damage.

Now, Iím confident in the justice of God that He will punish those who deserve it and reward those who donít. But, it may be the people you are supposing donít understand Godís morality, do in fact understand it at a subliminal level. Iím speaking to people who havenít been exposed to, or have never taken seriously, the New Testament.

And are you telling me a three-year-old is typically privy to his parentsí moral codes? If not, do parents punish three-year-olds?

I donít understand what you mean when you say God ďrefuses to tell us the rules of the gameĒ. Itís right there in the New Testament.

The people who attempted sabotage against you and the would-be rapists may well be as black as you imply. But you yourself may be something worse without realising it, and are only being restrained from your evil by the grace of God.

And God has everyoneís blood in His hands. He made everyone, He killed everyone. As far as Iím concerned, thatís His right, as the source of all goodness and the paradigm of justice.

What errors did God make? He made man capable of choice, knowing full well man would choose evil. This is like condemning the parents of a child who chooses to steal.

Yes, I am saying God is beyond the worldís morality. Thatís why the New Testament is such a shocking book, it puts forth a moral code that all are held to but none can achieve, Christ aside. It puts forth a doctrine that if it were about anyone else than God would be morally obnoxious. But itís not about anyone else than God, and thatís why itís valid.



I mean that without faith derived from the Holy Spirit making you aware of your own sinfulness before God, you will come up with endless objections to accepting His Word. And the hell of it is, I canít give you faith. Your faith will be given to you by God or it wonít; thereís nothing I can do except pray for you.

Finally, I am unaware of any Mystery Cults of the Roman Empire that feature a member of the One God incarnating as a man and being sacrificed in order to appease the demand for punishment emanating from Himself.

Cpl Ferro
Since Jesus has appeased the demand for punishment why is god still going to punish us?
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2013, 02:22 PM   #202
CplFerro
Graduate Poster
 
CplFerro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,960
Dear pakeha,

Iím intrigued by the difference between a goat sacrifice ďsin offering provid[ing] forgivenessĒ and another released to ďprovid[e] the removal of sin.Ē This is a distinction I have made independently when reflecting on the Atonement. Namely, that there are two issues here: guilt and damage to Godís glory. Christís sacrifice serves to repair Godís glory. But the repentance of men is required in order to win forgiveness. Iím not saying thereís necessarily a connection between the two ideas, but I though it noteworthy.

Your Sumer example demonstrates just how awful OT times could be. Makes killing a goat seem positively cheerful.

Yes, blood sacrifice is a powerful idea. I never claimed it was a special demand. God makes use of familiar symbols to work His will.

Quote:
At the end of the day, given the scale of the Universe, I'm always left wondering how anyone could possibly believe its creator could be appeased by blood sacrifice.
Iím not sure I understand your objection. Would blood-appeasement make more sense to you if the Universe were the size of a Winnebago?

Cpl Ferro
CplFerro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2013, 02:25 PM   #203
CplFerro
Graduate Poster
 
CplFerro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,960
Originally Posted by tsig View Post
Since Jesus has appeased the demand for punishment why is god still going to punish us?
Dear tsig,

Because you have to participate in the ceremony. If you don't care about your own salvation, neither will God.

Cpl Ferro
CplFerro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2013, 02:25 PM   #204
tsig
a carbon based life-form
 
tsig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 34,511
Originally Posted by CplFerro View Post
Dear Akri,

All I can know of God is what He has revealed to me in the Bible. Without that God isÖwell, God is indistinguishable from the weather.

I have faith that there exists a perfect Being, and that this Being has revealed Himself in the Bible. I believe in the Bible because of the Atonement. The kernel of my belief is Godís existence and nature, manís sinfulness, and Christís mission.

The Old Testament times were a harsher circumstance. My best understanding is that God couldnít spring Christ on the world from the beginning because the world wouldnít have stood for it. It barely stood for it as things turned out. This speaks to the idea that history is an evolutionary process, where certain things, in this case the Law, the prophecies and the sacrifices of the Israelites, had to be put in place to prepare the way for the one who would fulfill those things. It is no wonder Christ came at a time where His apostles could spread throughout the Earth and make use of the learning of the Greeks, for example, and where Christianity could supplant Imperial Rome, essentially assimilating it from the inside out.

Cpl Ferro
Poor god, omnipotent yet impotent if the world won't stand for something.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2013, 02:32 PM   #205
Pup
Illuminator
 
Pup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 4,760
Originally Posted by CplFerro View Post
That’s why the New Testament is such a shocking book, it puts forth a moral code that all are held to but none can achieve, Christ aside. It puts forth a doctrine that if it were about anyone else than God would be morally obnoxious. But it’s not about anyone else than God, and that’s why it’s valid.
I think the above is just one more example of how Christianity (like most religions) appears to be developed in pieces based on what worked, rather than as a thought-out whole. Because it's cobbled together, it makes less sense when looked at as a whole.

One can see that each of those attributes, separately, deals with a need:

--Society needs to have rules of behavior. No matter how low you set the standards, some people will fall short, just like no matter how high you set the speed limit, some people will always drive 5 mph faster. So you need to set the bar as a high as possible, but then you're expecting perfection, which no one can achieve.

--Now people are complaining that the standards are impossible to meet. You don't want them to just give up. So you tell them, that's okay, as long as you're trying, we have a way for you to be forgiven.

--So then you have a set-up with rules that people can't follow, but a way for them to be forgiven. When people complain that it's a lousy Catch-22, you need an excuse: Well, God did it. God works in mysterious ways.

Each answer, taken separately, sounds like a satisfying enough answer for the specific question. But taken as a whole, it means there's this arbitrary plan by a supposedly omnipotent infinitely-good creature that sounds like it was thought up by someone who was neither omnipotent nor good.

As I said, it's not just those specific questions and answers--all attributes of Christianity (and most other religions I'm aware of too) sound like they were developed that way.

Last edited by Pup; 10th February 2013 at 02:34 PM. Reason: clearer wording
Pup is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2013, 03:29 PM   #206
CplFerro
Graduate Poster
 
CplFerro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,960
Dear Akri,

Think of sin in terms of being the presence of God. God being just only tolerates the sinless to be in His presence. Sin makes the person intolerable to God.

[quote]All I can know of God is what He has revealed to me in the Bible.
Quote:
Do you agree that this means everything you know about God could be a lie?
I canít believe that. I donít mean I canít understand it if it were put forth as an intellectual talking about, as you have done, but the nature of faith is that one cannot disbelieve. I canít believe my faith is wrong, by its very nature.

Quote:
Why does the Atonement make the Bible believable to you?
Without the Atonement the Bible just isnít horrifying enough. The Old Testament may be fine for the Jews but Iím not a Jew. My faith demands a universal religion, and the only basis of any quality for such a thing is the Atonement.

Quote:
My best understanding is that God couldnít spring Christ on the world from the beginning because the world wouldnít have stood for it.
Quote:
What do you base that on?
Faith.

Quote:
And even if people then would not have accepted all of the NT morality, God could have at least tried to pave the way for it by introducing some of the basic concepts. But he didn't, and instead introduced moral concepts that directly contradict those of the NT.
How does the Decalogue contradict the NT?

Quote:
What errors did God make? He made man capable of choice, knowing full well man would choose evil. This is like condemning the parents of a child who chooses to steal.
Quote:
The thing is, God didn't make man capable of understanding the consequences of their choices, or of understanding the concept of right and wrong. Adam and Eve didn't get that knowledge until after they ate from the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil. So God takes people who are incapable of knowing right from wrong, tells them it would be wrong to do something (a concept they are incapable of understanding) and then punishes them for doing the wrong thing. This is like putting a small child in jail for stealing--the kid can't understand the problem with what they did, and enacting such a punishment would absolutely be wrong. Punishments need to take into account the mental capacity of the person who erred at the time that they made the error.

There are a lot of things God could have done to prevent humans from breaking his moral code, but he didn't do those things. He deliberately set
Iím guessing Adam and Eve were not insane or purblind. They knew good from bad; good being Godís goodness revealed to them through obedience, and bad being in the form of pain and disobedience (e.g. pricking a finger on a rose-stem). But they didnít understand the fullness of evil. They touched the cold doorknob and saw the snow outside and knew Grandma said theyíll freeze to death if they go outside, and had no reason to believe otherwise, but they disobeyed and did and froze to death.

Quote:
Yes, I am saying God is beyond the worldís morality.
Quote:
Then calling God good or just is meaningless, since we can't comprehend God's morality and thus can't say if it's good or just.
Only as meaningless as saying Solís light is beyond the light of a lantern. It is meaningful, but amplified so much that one questions whether they are of the same nature.

Quote:
Thatís why the New Testament is such a shocking book, it puts forth a moral code that all are held to but none can achieve, Christ aside.
Quote:
What use is a moral code that cannot be adhered to?
There is merit in the attempt, both among individuals and for society as a whole. What is the modern Western welfare state but the practical working out of ďlove thy neighbour as thyselfĒ?

Cpl Ferro
CplFerro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2013, 03:41 PM   #207
CplFerro
Graduate Poster
 
CplFerro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,960
Originally Posted by The Norseman View Post
The Dalai Lama tells the story of meeting with a Tibetan monk who'd just been released from years of forced labor and redoctrination in a Chinese prison camp. The monk's ordeal had left him in pretty bad physical shape.
While talking to the Dalai Lama, the monk let slip that he'd come close to disaster three or four times during his imprisonment.
"What happened?" asked the Dalai Lama, expecting tales of near-execution, torture, punishment.
"I nearly lost compassion for my captors," the monk replied.
If true, this man has more morals and compassion than pretty much the rest of Christianity combined (taking into consideration that the Catholics are a negative modifier).

You could imagine what that man went through and what his worst fear was and you still have the audacity to proclaim that Yeshua ben Yoseph is the only one in two thousand years of ever demonstrating that level of morality?

Alright, make this a learning moment for me: tell me of a current Christian who has displayed that kind of morality and compassion.
Dear Norseman,

There have been many Christian martyrs in modern times. I read about them in a book called Jesus Freaks some years ago. Their faith was such that some of their captors converted after witnessing how unbreakable their minds were even in the face of dreadful torture and inclement imprisonment. I'm sorry I can't give you a name, but I'm sure if you research Christian martyrs you'll find them.

Did I ever say humans were incapable of great moral works? No, I said that no one fulfills it perfectly except "Yeshua ben Yoseph."

Cpl Ferro
CplFerro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2013, 03:42 PM   #208
CplFerro
Graduate Poster
 
CplFerro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,960
Originally Posted by tsig View Post
Poor god, omnipotent yet impotent if the world won't stand for something.
You can't give someone a gift if they shove it back in your face, tsig.

Cpl Ferro
CplFerro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2013, 03:42 PM   #209
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly
 
The Norseman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5,148
Originally Posted by CplFerro View Post
Think of sin in terms of being the presence of God. God being just only tolerates the sinless to be in His presence. Sin makes the person intolerable to God.
Why then did god create it in the first place?
__________________
"It started badly, it tailed off a little in the middle and the less said about the end the better, but apart from that, it was excellent."
- Blackadder
The Norseman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2013, 03:44 PM   #210
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly
 
The Norseman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5,148
Originally Posted by CplFerro View Post
Dear Norseman,

There have been many Christian martyrs in modern times. I read about them in a book called Jesus Freaks some years ago. Their faith was such that some of their captors converted after witnessing how unbreakable their minds were even in the face of dreadful torture and inclement imprisonment. I'm sorry I can't give you a name, but I'm sure if you research Christian martyrs you'll find them.

Did I ever say humans were incapable of great moral works? No, I said that no one fulfills it perfectly except "Yeshua ben Yoseph."

Cpl Ferro
Well, fair enough; I don't know the name of the guy that's in the story I told either.

What is the perfect fulfillment and why doesn't god let anyone else fulfill this role now? Don't we need a reminder of god's will?
__________________
"It started badly, it tailed off a little in the middle and the less said about the end the better, but apart from that, it was excellent."
- Blackadder
The Norseman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2013, 03:55 PM   #211
Akri
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,349
Originally Posted by CplFerro View Post
I canít believe that. I donít mean I canít understand it if it were put forth as an intellectual talking about, as you have done, but the nature of faith is that one cannot disbelieve. I canít believe my faith is wrong, by its very nature.
I didn't ask if you believe your faith is wrong. I asked if it's possible that God is a liar.

Quote:
Without the Atonement the Bible just isnít horrifying enough. The Old Testament may be fine for the Jews but Iím not a Jew. My faith demands a universal religion, and the only basis of any quality for such a thing is the Atonement.
This doesn't make any sense. How does the Atonement make Christianity a universal religion?

Quote:
Faith.
So there's no reason for me to accept that argument, since you have no way of demonstrating it to be true.

Quote:
How does the Decalogue contradict the NT?
I didn't say they did. The Ten Commandments aren't the only part of the OT that deals with morality. Any time God kills someone for doing something he considers wicked, or tells people to do killing on his behalf, God is expressing a certain moral code. That code does not match Christ's messages of "love they neighbor" and "turn the other cheek".

Oh, and God contradicts the Commandments. He says not to murder, and then he commits genocide. He says not to covet, but he is jealous.

Quote:
Iím guessing Adam and Eve were not insane or purblind. They knew good from bad
No they didn't. That knowledge was in the fruit, which God told them not to eat. Nothing in Genesis suggests that they were capable of understanding good and evil/right and wrong until after they ate the fruit. God, however, fully understood their mental capacity at the time and chose to ignore it.

Quote:
They touched the cold doorknob and saw the snow outside and knew Grandma said theyíll freeze to death if they go outside, and had no reason to believe otherwise, but they disobeyed and did and froze to death.
It's more like Grandma said "don't go outside or a monster will eat you" (remember, God used a lie to scare them away from the tree) and then when the little kid goes outside anyway Grandma punishes them by locking all the doors so that the kid can't get back inside, and then the kid freezes to death.

Quote:
Only as meaningless as saying Solís light is beyond the light of a lantern. It is meaningful, but amplified so much that one questions whether they are of the same nature.
Could you please state your arguments plainly instead of hiding them in metaphors? If God is beyond our morality then how can it make any sense to describe him using words from our morality, which do not apply to him?
Akri is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2013, 04:10 PM   #212
tsig
a carbon based life-form
 
tsig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 34,511
Originally Posted by tsig View Post
Since Jesus has appeased the demand for punishment why is god still going to punish us?
Originally Posted by CplFerro View Post
Dear tsig,

Because you have to participate in the ceremony. If you don't care about your own salvation, neither will God.

Cpl Ferro

Then Jesus didn't really die for all mankind but only for those who have heard of him and acknowledge him?
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2013, 04:47 PM   #213
Ampulla of Vater
Graduate Poster
 
Ampulla of Vater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: North of the White Line of Toldt
Posts: 1,690
Originally Posted by tsig View Post
Then Jesus didn't really die for all mankind but only for those who have heard of him and acknowledge him?
Unless he forgives you for being ignorant or defiant, in which case you too shall have eternal salvation.
Ampulla of Vater is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2013, 07:11 PM   #214
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 10,758
Originally Posted by Akri View Post
It's more like Grandma said "don't go outside or a monster will eat you" (remember, God used a lie to scare them away from the tree) and then when the little kid goes outside anyway Grandma punishes them by locking all the doors so that the kid can't get back inside, and then the kid freezes to death.
Adam and Eve had a grandma? Well maybe they did because God was their father, and he has a mother, the Virgin Mary. So that's their grandma.
Craig B is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2013, 07:16 PM   #215
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys
 
fuelair's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 36,362
No...
__________________
There is no problem so great that it cannot be fixed by small explosives carefully placed.

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2013, 08:12 PM   #216
tsig
a carbon based life-form
 
tsig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 34,511
Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
Adam and Eve had a grandma? Well maybe they did because God was their father, and he has a mother, the Virgin Mary. So that's their grandma.
Mary gave birth to Jesus who is god and god created all humans including Mary so Mary was her own grandma.


http://www.metrolyrics.com/im-my-own...y-stevens.html

Last edited by tsig; 10th February 2013 at 08:14 PM.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2013, 08:17 PM   #217
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 10,758
Originally Posted by tsig View Post
Mary gave birth to Jesus who is god and god created all humans including Mary so Mary was her own grandma.


http://www.metrolyrics.com/im-my-own...y-stevens.html
While remaining a virgin too! Isn't religion just wonderful?
Craig B is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2013, 01:40 AM   #218
Akuma Tennou
Thinker
 
Akuma Tennou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 213
Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
While remaining a virgin too! Isn't religion just wonderful?
And remember Jesus is said to be David's heir, so Mary managed somehow to get her ovum fecundated by two sperms: one god's and the other joseph's.
__________________
"Karl Marx was right, socialism works, it is just that he had the wrong species" − E. O. Wilson
Akuma Tennou is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2013, 02:27 AM   #219
pakeha
Penultimate Amazing
 
pakeha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 12,338
Originally Posted by CplFerro View Post
Dear pakeha,

Iím intrigued by the difference between a goat sacrifice ďsin offering provid[ing] forgivenessĒ and another released to ďprovid[e] the removal of sin.Ē This is a distinction I have made independently when reflecting on the Atonement. Namely, that there are two issues here: guilt and damage to Godís glory. Christís sacrifice serves to repair Godís glory. But the repentance of men is required in order to win forgiveness. Iím not saying thereís necessarily a connection between the two ideas, but I though it noteworthy.

Your Sumer example demonstrates just how awful OT times could be. Makes killing a goat seem positively cheerful.

Yes, blood sacrifice is a powerful idea. I never claimed it was a special demand. God makes use of familiar symbols to work His will.



Iím not sure I understand your objection. Would blood-appeasement make more sense to you if the Universe were the size of a Winnebago?

Cpl Ferro
A Winnebago sized Universe!
Anyway, my point still stands.
Given the scope of our Universe, how is it credible its creator could possibly consider the antics of some primitives on any given planet merit atonement by blood sacrifice?

I'm afraid I wasn't clear about my point about blood sacrifice in Sumeria and other places.
The fact is that many cultures use it.
It is not unique to the OT and so the sacrifices ordered in the OT are just evidence of the human, not divine nature of that ordnance.
pakeha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2013, 06:49 AM   #220
Multivac
Master Poster
 
Multivac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,125
Originally Posted by CplFerro View Post
Dear tsig,

I'm guessing, because the Holy Spirit doesn't act like the God-energy from Raiders of the Lost Ark transfixing the Nazis. It's a subtle entity, and God prefers least action.

And without the Bible how would we know anything of Jesus?

How do you do the text highlighting, by the way?

Cpl Ferro
Why would anyone want to know about jesus? If he existed, he certainly wasn't the son of god, as god does not exist.

Last edited by Multivac; 11th February 2013 at 07:02 AM. Reason: corrected typos
Multivac is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2013, 06:51 AM   #221
Multivac
Master Poster
 
Multivac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,125
Originally Posted by CplFerro View Post
Dear Gord,

Extreme times call for extreme measures, it seems. If the whole world were reprobate save a tiny handful, and God wishes both that man as that handful survive, and that the destruction of the remainder should be carried out as naturalistically as possible, then a flood sounds like a good idea.

Cpl Ferro
Surely it would have been easier, as their "creator", to simply make them drop dead by removing his "gift" of life, rather than flooding the world.
Multivac is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2013, 06:53 AM   #222
Multivac
Master Poster
 
Multivac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,125
Originally Posted by CplFerro View Post
Not to my knowledge, Craig. The Bible is unique.

Cpl Ferro
How is the bible unique? What makes it different from other "holy" texts?
Multivac is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2013, 06:56 AM   #223
Multivac
Master Poster
 
Multivac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,125
Originally Posted by CplFerro View Post
Dear pakeha,

Neither do you have the right to frogpile me and expect my response. My current concern is with RandFan alone and it is to hir I shall reply. Peanut gallery all you wish.

Cpl Ferro
Not sure what you mean by frogpiling, but this is a public forum where any member can choose to reply to a post. It is considered rude to tell other posters they should not reply.
Multivac is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2013, 06:59 AM   #224
Multivac
Master Poster
 
Multivac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,125
Originally Posted by CplFerro View Post
Dear pakeha,

Thank you, I do.

A just God demands punishment for sin. It doesn't have to be a blood sacrifice per se, it could be damnation, but the demand is there.

Cpl Ferro
I have never understood why an entity that is capable of creating a Universe would behave in the small-minded, childish and petty ways described. Why would a just god demand anything?
Multivac is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2013, 07:04 AM   #225
tsig
a carbon based life-form
 
tsig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 34,511
Originally Posted by Multivac View Post
Surely it would have been easier, as their "creator", to simply make them drop dead by removing his "gift" of life, rather than flooding the world.
God's a bit of a drama queen, look at the little morality play right at the beginning then there's the world wide flood, a real spectacula,r followed by His Own Personal Appearance as the Savior of the World. His next scheduled Appearance will be to destroy the world, now that's Drama.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2013, 07:09 AM   #226
tsig
a carbon based life-form
 
tsig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 34,511
Originally Posted by Multivac View Post
I have never understood why an entity that is capable of creating a Universe would behave in the small-minded, childish and petty ways described. Why would a just god demand anything?
It seems that no matter how lofty believers try to make god he always looks like a jumped up human.

He has wants, needs, emotions and all the full gamut of human attributes and he's also hopelessly psychotic.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2013, 09:55 AM   #227
CplFerro
Graduate Poster
 
CplFerro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,960
Originally Posted by The Norseman View Post
Why then did god create it in the first place?
I think of it like a gardener planting a garden, Norseman. He knows some plants will not survive, but that if tended well the end result will be beautiful.

Cpl Ferro
CplFerro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2013, 09:57 AM   #228
CplFerro
Graduate Poster
 
CplFerro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,960
Originally Posted by The Norseman View Post
Well, fair enough; I don't know the name of the guy that's in the story I told either.

What is the perfect fulfillment and why doesn't god let anyone else fulfill this role now? Don't we need a reminder of god's will?
Dear Norseman,

Leading a sinless life of perfect love for God and man.

It's not a matter of God "letting" anyone fulfill this role, it's a matter of no one being able to. The best we can do is try.

Cpl Ferro
CplFerro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2013, 10:26 AM   #229
CplFerro
Graduate Poster
 
CplFerro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,960
Dear Akri,

My faith compels me to say no, it is not possible God is a liar.

By universal I mean in contradistinction from Judaism, which is a non-proselytising faith. Christians are commanded to convert the world (or universe, if we ever discover the existence of extraterrestrial sentience).

Quote:
Faith.
Quote:
So there's no reason for me to accept that argument, since you have no way of demonstrating it to be true.
If you lack faith in Godís providence you will probably not be persuaded by arguments as to His motives.

Quote:
How does the Decalogue contradict the NT?
Quote:
I didn't say they did. The Ten Commandments aren't the only part of the OT that deals with morality. Any time God kills someone for doing something he considers wicked, or tells people to do killing on his behalf, God is expressing a certain moral code. That code does not match Christ's messages of "love they neighbor" and "turn the other cheek".

Oh, and God contradicts the Commandments. He says not to murder, and then he commits genocide. He says not to covet, but he is jealous.
First, the moral code expressed in the OT is the sculpting of a nation, not a universal set of moral precepts.

Second, God is in a higher moral category. Parents use bleach but tell their children not to use bleach on pain of punishment. Itís much the same to my mind.

Quote:
Iím guessing Adam and Eve were not insane or purblind. They knew good from bad
Quote:
No they didn't. That knowledge was in the fruit, which God told them not to eat. Nothing in Genesis suggests that they were capable of understanding good and evil/right and wrong until after they ate the fruit. God, however, fully understood their mental capacity at the time and chose to ignore it.
Do you hold that Adam and Eve never stubbed their toe or experienced pain of any sort prior to eating the illegal fruit?

Quote:
They touched the cold doorknob and saw the snow outside and knew Grandma said theyíll freeze to death if they go outside, and had no reason to believe otherwise, but they disobeyed and did and froze to death.
Quote:
It's more like Grandma said "don't go outside or a monster will eat you" (remember, God used a lie to scare them away from the tree) and then when the little kid goes outside anyway Grandma punishes them by locking all the doors so that the kid can't get back inside, and then the kid freezes to death.
What lie was that?

Quote:
Only as meaningless as saying Solís light is beyond the light of a lantern. It is meaningful, but amplified so much that one questions whether they are of the same nature.
Quote:
Could you please state your arguments plainly instead of hiding them in metaphors? If God is beyond our morality then how can it make any sense to describe him using words from our morality, which do not apply to him?
Without metaphor the human expression is crippled, but let me try:

There is a branch of theology called the apophatic. It deals with negative attributes of God only. Thus we say God is immortal, imperishable, not coloured, weightless, and so forth. The consequence of this is that we see God as only analogous to those positive traits we do give Him, eg., existence. God is so strange that He doesnít exist in the way that a keyboard exists or an orange exists or a Grandmother exists. He is so subtle as to be almost nonexistent. The same goes for personality; Godís personality is what our own is cast in the mould of, but the difference between them is still vast.

So with morality: Godís understanding of morality is perfect, and goes beyond the human instinct. Vengeance is a natural human instinct, for example, but God reserves vengeance for Himself. Hating oneís enemies likewise; God reserves hate for Himself.

That is the best I can explain it at present.

Cpl Ferro
CplFerro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2013, 10:29 AM   #230
CplFerro
Graduate Poster
 
CplFerro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,960
Originally Posted by tsig View Post
Then Jesus didn't really die for all mankind but only for those who have heard of him and acknowledge him?
Dea tsig,

I agree with the Catholic Church's doctrine of the Baptism of Desire. It is possible for--I'm paraphrasing severely--the pure of heart to meet Christ after or during death, and have a chance to accept Him.

Without this doctrine we are left with limited atonement and the prospect that God damns those who had no chance to hear of Christ.

Cpl Ferro
CplFerro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2013, 10:32 AM   #231
CplFerro
Graduate Poster
 
CplFerro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,960
Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
Adam and Eve had a grandma? Well maybe they did because God was their father, and he has a mother, the Virgin Mary. So that's their grandma.
Smashing, Craig, but go further. Adam and Eve are their own great-N grandparents!

Cpl Ferro
CplFerro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2013, 10:47 AM   #232
CplFerro
Graduate Poster
 
CplFerro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,960
Originally Posted by pakeha View Post
A Winnebago sized Universe!
Anyway, my point still stands.
Given the scope of our Universe, how is it credible its creator could possibly consider the antics of some primitives on any given planet merit atonement by blood sacrifice?

I'm afraid I wasn't clear about my point about blood sacrifice in Sumeria and other places.
The fact is that many cultures use it.
It is not unique to the OT and so the sacrifices ordered in the OT are just evidence of the human, not divine nature of that ordnance.
Dear pakeha,

Might you not be underestimating the value of humanity, or the need for something primal and shocking to convey the Creator's will? We don't say because someone is small they are less valuable, so why should we say they are less valuable because they are distant or ignorant?

Cpl Ferro
CplFerro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2013, 11:06 AM   #233
pakeha
Penultimate Amazing
 
pakeha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 12,338
My point is that blood sacrifice is NOT unique to the Judeo-Christian tradition.
Why then consider it a specific requirement of the Judeo-Cristian deity?
pakeha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2013, 11:06 AM   #234
Akri
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,349
Originally Posted by CplFerro View Post
My faith compels me to say no, it is not possible God is a liar.
But it very clearly is possible. If the only reason to believe God is good is his say-so, then if God is not good he could be lying. Just because you have faith that he is honest does not make it impossible for him to not be honest.

Besides, isn't it a bit arrogant to think your faith can't be mistaken?

Quote:
If you lack faith in Godís providence you will probably not be persuaded by arguments as to His motives.
Actually logical arguments are the only thing that could motivate me to believe in God. I wouldn't trust faith, because I know that I'm fallible and thus capable of having faith in things that aren't true.

Quote:
First, the moral code expressed in the OT is the sculpting of a nation, not a universal set of moral precepts.
Nations are shaped by moral principles, so the OT being about "sculpting a nation" doesn't affect my point at all. The OT contains moral lessons aside from the Ten Commandments.

Quote:
Second, God is in a higher moral category. Parents use bleach but tell their children not to use bleach on pain of punishment. Itís much the same to my mind.
Parents give simplified morals to children because children are not physically capable of understanding more complex concepts. However at the time of the OT adult humans had the same mental capacity to understand concepts as you and I do now. So the whole "God is a parent we are the children" analogy doesn't work--if we couldn't understand NT morality at the time of the OT we wouldn't be able to understand it now.

Quote:
Do you hold that Adam and Eve never stubbed their toe or experienced pain of any sort prior to eating the illegal fruit?
Well the Garden was supposed to be perfect. But that's irrelevant--physical pain is not the same as knowledge of right and wrong--knowledge which existed only in the Tree (and, presumably, in God). Infants are capable of feeling pain, but that doesn't mean they understand right and wrong.

Quote:
What lie was that?
That they would die the day they ate the fruit. Since God knows everything he knew this was not true.

Quote:
So with morality: Godís understanding of morality is perfect, and goes beyond the human instinct. Vengeance is a natural human instinct, for example, but God reserves vengeance for Himself. Hating oneís enemies likewise; God reserves hate for Himself.
This doesn't make sense to me. God's morality goes beyond human instinct, and vengeance and hate are human things, but God is both vengeance and hateful. I'm not sure what you're trying to say with this, but from what I've seen of God's morality in both Testaments it is far from perfect.
Akri is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2013, 11:07 AM   #235
CplFerro
Graduate Poster
 
CplFerro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,960
Dear Multivac,

Anyone who wishes reconciliation with God implicitly wishes to know Jesus.

Faith immunises me to disproofs of God, but they still interest me. What is your disproof of God’s existence?

I don’t know why God flooded the world, according to that story (though it’s my understanding that the extreme majority of geologists don’t believe there was a Flood).

The Bible is the most reproduced book from two to three thousand years ago.

By “frogpile” I refer to the image of a batrachian mating pile, where the hapless frog on the bottom is buried by the eager frogs on top.

Quote:
I have never understood why an entity that is capable of creating a Universe would behave in the small-minded, childish and petty ways described. Why would a just god demand anything?
Why would a just parent demand anything?

Cpl Ferro
CplFerro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2013, 11:13 AM   #236
CplFerro
Graduate Poster
 
CplFerro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,960
Originally Posted by pakeha View Post
My point is that blood sacrifice is NOT unique to the Judeo-Christian tradition.
Why then consider it a specific requirement of the Judeo-Cristian deity?
Dear pakeha,

The concept of deites, of funerals, of weddings, and of virgin births are not unique to the Judeo-Christian tradition either. Just as my breathing stops not your breathing, I see no reason why the presence of one element in one religion should preclude that same element in another.

Does this answer your question or am I being obtuse?

Cpl Ferro
CplFerro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2013, 11:28 AM   #237
pakeha
Penultimate Amazing
 
pakeha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 12,338
To be honest, it does not answer my point at all.
Let me try again-
If I've understood correctly atonement by blood sacrifice is a pillar of the Judeo-Christian tradition, but of course we know it was lifted from other cultures.

Since we know this concept is age-old, so what could make us pay attention to the claim it is key to the Judeo-Christian tradition and fulfilled in the birth and death of Jesus?

We are, after all, simply talking about something which in essence has nothing to do with the Judeo-Christian tradition but is merely a borrowing from other traditions.
pakeha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2013, 12:00 PM   #238
tsig
a carbon based life-form
 
tsig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 34,511
Originally Posted by CplFerro View Post
Dear Multivac,

Anyone who wishes reconciliation with God implicitly wishes to know Jesus.

Faith immunises me to disproofs of God, but they still interest me. What is your disproof of Godís existence?

I donít know why God flooded the world, according to that story (though itís my understanding that the extreme majority of geologists donít believe there was a Flood).

The Bible is the most reproduced book from two to three thousand years ago.

By ďfrogpileĒ I refer to the image of a batrachian mating pile, where the hapless frog on the bottom is buried by the eager frogs on top.



Why would a just parent demand anything?

Cpl Ferro
Dogpile is the word I see more often. Think of a pack of dogs rolling around in a fight.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2013, 12:18 PM   #239
tsig
a carbon based life-form
 
tsig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 34,511
Originally Posted by CplFerro View Post
Dea tsig,

I agree with the Catholic Church's doctrine of the Baptism of Desire. It is possible for--I'm paraphrasing severely--the pure of heart to meet Christ after or during death, and have a chance to accept Him.

Without this doctrine we are left with limited atonement and the prospect that God damns those who had no chance to hear of Christ.

Cpl Ferro
Doesn't seem to be on point:

The Roman Catholic Church teaches that "baptism is necessary for salvation." (Catechism of the Catholic Church, ss. 1257).[1] It moreover teaches that baptism confers the forgiveness of sins by virtue of the enactment of the sacrament itself: "(b)y Baptism all sins are forgiven, original sin and all personal sins, as well as all punishment for sin." (ss. 1263). For Catholics, baptism is a unique, unrepeatable act; no one who has been baptized validly can receive the full pardon conferred by the sacrament a second time. (ss. 1272) Given these doctrines, it is a matter of serious concern for the Catholic Church if a believing Christian does not receive a valid baptism.

The doctrine of baptism of desire seeks to address some of the implications of these teachings. It holds that those who, as adults, come to faith in Christ and become catechumens but who die before receiving baptism nevertheless are admitted to salvation even though the Church teaches that baptism is necessary for salvation.

tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2013, 12:29 PM   #240
CplFerro
Graduate Poster
 
CplFerro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,960
Dear Akri,

Quote:
My faith compels me to say no, it is not possible God is a liar.
Quote:
But it very clearly is possible. If the only reason to believe God is good is his say-so, then if God is not good he could be lying. Just because you have faith that he is honest does not make it impossible for him to not be honest.

Besides, isn't it a bit arrogant to think your faith can't be mistaken?
Iím not believing God is good on His say-so, Iím believing it on the faith that He has given me, which I take as true insight into the nature of existence. I suppose one could argue Iím insane in which case my faith would be invalid; I have believed mad things before. But believing one is insane has zero utility and so I have no reason to do so. Besides, I have faith that I am not insane.

If I am arrogant in my faith I hope that arrogance does not translate into boastfulness on my own part. But the faith itself presents the truth of Religion and so believing in that truth is hardly arrogant in a negative sense, any more than believing in the truths of Science is arrogant in a negative sense. Doesnít scientific accomplishment swell your breast?

Quote:
If you lack faith in Godís providence you will probably not be persuaded by arguments as to His motives.
Quote:
Actually logical arguments are the only thing that could motivate me to believe in God. I wouldn't trust faith, because I know that I'm fallible and thus capable of having faith in things that aren't true.
I think logical arguments played a role in my conversion by working on my mind subconsciously, but so long as my heart was set against God these arguments held no power to persuade. This probably seems intellectually dishonest to you, but I canít help that except to submit my own story of conversion which was a case of my repeated and vicious attempts to squelch faith in God, followed by a cessation of hostilities and an acceptance of an irreducible something in my mind which I found intelligible (e.g. the Atonement) whether or not I could logic my way to it starting from a null hypothesis.

Quote:
Second, God is in a higher moral category. Parents use bleach but tell their children not to use bleach on pain of punishment. Itís much the same to my mind.
Quote:
Parents give simplified morals to children because children are not physically capable of understanding more complex concepts. However at the time of the OT adult humans had the same mental capacity to understand concepts as you and I do now. So the whole "God is a parent we are the children" analogy doesn't work--if we couldn't understand NT morality at the time of the OT we wouldn't be able to understand it now.
God is a god of history. He does not just deal with individuals, but with nations. Christ came when His coming would have the maximum effect.

Quote:
Do you hold that Adam and Eve never stubbed their toe or experienced pain of any sort prior to eating the illegal fruit?
Quote:
Well the Garden was supposed to be perfect. But that's irrelevant--physical pain is not the same as knowledge of right and wrong--knowledge which existed only in the Tree (and, presumably, in God). Infants are capable of feeling pain, but that doesn't mean they understand right and wrong.
And knowledge of physical pain is knowledge of good and bad. Not good and evil, but good and bad. They knew theyíd get a spanking if they disobeyed God, and went ahead and did it anyway.

Quote:
What lie was that?
Quote:
That they would die the day they ate the fruit. Since God knows everything he knew this was not true.
Well, supposedly God made the Universe in seven days. I think weíre being over-literal about what ďdayĒ means in these places.

Quote:
So with morality: Godís understanding of morality is perfect, and goes beyond the human instinct. Vengeance is a natural human instinct, for example, but God reserves vengeance for Himself. Hating oneís enemies likewise; God reserves hate for Himself.
Quote:
This doesn't make sense to me. God's morality goes beyond human instinct, and vengeance and hate are human things, but God is both vengeance and hateful. I'm not sure what you're trying to say with this, but from what I've seen of God's morality in both Testaments it is far from perfect.
Again, from a childís perspective her parent is full of mysterious flaws. That God is mysterious is a problem for man, but one relies on faith that these mysteries are not fatal to us.

Cpl Ferro
CplFerro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:26 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.