ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 31st January 2013, 05:36 PM   #1
De_Bunk
Scourge of the Believer

'Ghost Hunters' tv programs..I am sick of them and not having it anymore...

I mean..What!

They are NOT 'neutral'...

They frekin' already believe in the paranormal..

No one in their right mind would investigate something they didn't think actually existed.

So when they say..'We go in with an 'open mind'..They ain't..

Every knock or noise they hear, that they can't explain immediately, they instantly attribute to the parnaormal..

I am so sick of these BS television programs..

I will always be right in their faces..Done it before..and will do it again.

I dont want my children..and now, my grandchildren, being exposed to this total and utter garbage.

I am not having it..

Not now..Not ever..and my two adult children are following in my footsteps..

Especially my daughter..She is venomous, a total hatred of Religion and the paranormal..To the extent where she has lost several friends..

My son is more intellectual..he dont mind a debate..But still looks at those idiots as a piece of walking dog s**t..and they know it.

This forum can never die..'Randi' will go on..

I will never walk away from talking straight, common sense to these 'believing idiots' until the day i die.

Ooh Rah for me..

DB

Trouble is..nearly 25,000 have been deleted...100% true..(Thanks to someone messing with the database..and you know who you are)

And you think you're 'Hardcore'.. (DB)
De_Bunk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2013, 05:40 PM   #2
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

So you ever take any of this collection of knuckleheads seriously?

Why?
Resume is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2013, 05:43 PM   #3
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by De_Bunk View Post
No one in their right mind would investigate something they didn't think actually existed.
Of course they would.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2013, 05:45 PM   #4
De_Bunk
Scourge of the Believer

Resume..

Yes...I am just bitter that no one takes my multiple 'ghost' sightings and vid clips seriously..

I have so many now that it is impossible to say there is NOT something out there.

Hope this helps answer your question..

DB

Trouble is..nearly 25,000 have been deleted...100% true..(Thanks to someone messing with the database..and you know who you are)

De_Bunk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2013, 05:45 PM   #5
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

You seem very emotional about this.
"We are enjoined, no matter how uncomfortable it might be, to consider ourselves and our cultural institutions scientifically — not to accept uncritically whatever we’re told; to surmount as best we can our hopes, conceits, and unexamined beliefs; to view ourselves as we really are." - Carl Sagan
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2013, 05:49 PM   #6
De_Bunk
Scourge of the Believer

KellyB...

No, no..This is my everyday 'normal'..

Thanks for being concerned about my wellbeing..

DB

Old 31st January 2013, 09:52 PM   #7
I Am He
Critical Thinker

I mean..What!

They are NOT 'neutral'...

They frekin' already believe in the paranormal..

So when they say..'We go in with an 'open mind'..They ain't..

Every knock or noise they hear, that they can't explain immediately, they instantly attribute to the parnaormal..

I am so sick of these BS television programs..

I will always be right in their faces..Done it before..and will do it again.

I dont want my children..and now, my grandchildren, being exposed to this total and utter garbage.

I am not having it..

Not now..Not ever..and my two adult children are following in my footsteps..

Especially my daughter..She is venomous, a total hatred of Religion and the paranormal..To the extent where she has lost several friends..

My son is more intellectual..he dont mind a debate..But still looks at those idiots as a piece of walking dog s**t..and they know it.

This forum can never die..'Randi' will go on..

I will never walk away from talking straight, common sense to these 'believing idiots' until the day i die.

Ooh Rah for me..

DB
Ahhhh ...come on now and tell us how you really feel.

I Am He
Old 31st January 2013, 10:17 PM   #8
fuelair
Banned

They're only in it for the money -as are the rectum eaters who put them on tv.
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2013, 11:33 PM   #9
mutile
Muse

Ever heard of James Randi?
mutile is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2013, 10:05 PM   #10
Verklagekasper
Muse

TV ghost hunters aren't just ignorant about science but also ignorant about the occult. Just a century ago, the ghosts of relatives who wanted to get a message accross were described as being not eerie and not ambiguous at all. They appeared like real persons and said clearly what they wanted.

Last edited by Verklagekasper; 1st February 2013 at 10:08 PM.
Verklagekasper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2013, 08:48 PM   #11
Mudcat
Man of a Thousand Memes

Originally Posted by Verklagekasper View Post
TV ghost hunters aren't just ignorant about science but also ignorant about the occult. Just a century ago, the ghosts of relatives who wanted to get a message accross were described as being not eerie and not ambiguous at all. They appeared like real persons and said clearly what they wanted.
The trend towards more a 'mysterious' paranormal started when more people with critical thinking called out the people peddling the paranormal. By keeping it as vague, generalized, and mysterious as possible they can just say, "Did I claim that or did you misinterpret what I said?" Or some other airy fairy horse manure.
Old 4th February 2013, 04:47 AM   #12
Verklagekasper
Muse

Originally Posted by Mudcat View Post
The trend towards more a 'mysterious' paranormal started when more people with critical thinking called out the people peddling the paranormal. By keeping it as vague, generalized, and mysterious as possible they can just say, "Did I claim that or did you misinterpret what I said?" Or some other airy fairy horse manure.
Apart from long term trends, paranormal phenomena appear highly adaptive in that they meet the expectations of the observer. A believer in "residual haunts" will find traces of residual haunts, a believer in communicating ghosts will find intelligent activity, and skeptics will find natural explanations.

This isn't just compatible with psychology and the skeptic "it's all in your mind" view, but interestingly also with psi-research, which claims to have found strong experimenter effects that influence the outcome of psi-experiments. No matter how you look at it, whether you're a believer or not, there is scarcely evidence that suggests that ghost phenomena are caused by independent spirit agents. Yet ghost hunters always jump to that conclusion.

And no matter how you look at paranormal phenomena, tv ghost hunters appear astonishingly careless. From a psychological view, it's a bad idea to mess with your subconsciousness by contaminating it with ideas of archetypical evils interacting with you. It's an even worse idea if one deems all those demons and ghosts to be real. So when tv ghost hunters taunt spirits and do other paranormal-tough-guy stunts, I think it's a sign that they don't believe in their stuff at all. And then there are those who seem genuine believers, yet they treat ghosts like paranormal pets which do stupid tricks for them.

Last edited by Verklagekasper; 4th February 2013 at 05:15 AM.
Verklagekasper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2013, 08:19 AM   #13
Dr B
Muse

The OP is not a good demonstration of skepticism or critical thinking IMO. It is everything that is wrong with some folks in skepticism and probably goes some way to explain why people from different approaches do not interact with each other and progress is slow.

Some of the claims are also far too simplistic to stand up to scrutiny. I mean, what does the claim that 'No one in their right mind would investigate something they didn't think actually existed' really mean? It conflates the act of investigation with the conclusion [paranormal] of it.

Hallucinations are real experiences (without external data)
Delusions are real expeirences (could be rational or irrational - but ultimately are a falsehood)
illusions are real perceptions (incorrect inferences - but real perceptions)

Skepticism should always be rational. I share the frustration. I dont share the approach or the rationale provided for it.

Last edited by Dr B; 5th February 2013 at 08:21 AM.
Dr B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2013, 12:07 PM   #14
De_Bunk
Scourge of the Believer

Dr B ..

I agree...

I think all atheists should give people who believe in the paranormal a big hug and say 'There There..Things will be alright' instead..

DB

Old 6th February 2013, 12:13 PM   #15
NoahFence
Banned

I called Comcast and dropped everything but basic cable and HBO (Game of Thrones!!) but that means I lose out on some of the Discovery channel networks.

Not a bit loss anymore.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2013, 12:48 PM   #16
Polaris
Penultimate Amazing

"Can you see me? Cool. Now lie on the bed. Good. Now pinch your nipples. Hey, it's this or I haunt you 30 minutes before you alarm clock goes off!"
"There's vastly more truth to be found in rocks than in holy books. Rocks are far superior, in fact, because you can DEMONSTRATE the truth found in rocks. Plus, they're pretty. Holy books are just heavy." - Dinwar

"Let your ears hear this beautiful song that's hiding underneath the sound," Ed Kowalczyk.
Polaris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2013, 01:13 AM   #17
Dr B
Muse

Dr B ..

I agree...

I think all atheists should give people who believe in the paranormal a big hug and say 'There There..Things will be alright' instead..

DB
How on earth did you arrive at that from what I said is beyond me, but then, it appears that most things are beyond you so I geuss I'm in good company.

Just so you know. You're not promoting critical thinking or skepticism in your posts. You're promoting ignorance and ranting. Have you ever seen Carl Sagan do that? You also avoided the post I raised about your simplistic expression.

Dont get me wrong (like you did in your reply) - I'm not arguing against the sentiment in your frustration, indeed I share it to some degree. Those programmes are the worst form of arse gravy.....However, there are more 'helpful' and functional debates we could be having about them.

Last edited by Dr B; 7th February 2013 at 01:16 AM.
Dr B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2013, 05:41 PM   #18
MsNomer
New Blood

Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
"Can you see me? Cool. Now lie on the bed. Good. Now pinch your nipples. Hey, it's this or I haunt you 30 minutes before you alarm clock goes off!"
Now my mornings make more sense. Thank you.
MsNomer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2013, 05:52 PM   #19
MsNomer
New Blood

Apart from long term trends, paranormal phenomena appear highly adaptive in that they meet the expectations of the observer. A believer in "residual haunts" will find traces of residual haunts, a believer in communicating ghosts will find intelligent activity, and skeptics will find natural explanations.

This isn't just compatible with psychology and the skeptic "it's all in your mind" view, but interestingly also with psi-research, which claims to have found strong experimenter effects that influence the outcome of psi-experiments. No matter how you look at it, whether you're a believer or not, there is scarcely evidence that suggests that ghost phenomena are caused by independent spirit agents. Yet ghost hunters always jump to that conclusion.

And no matter how you look at paranormal phenomena, tv ghost hunters appear astonishingly careless. From a psychological view, it's a bad idea to mess with your subconsciousness by contaminating it with ideas of archetypical evils interacting with you. It's an even worse idea if one deems all those demons and ghosts to be real. So when tv ghost hunters taunt spirits and do other paranormal-tough-guy stunts, I think it's a sign that they don't believe in their stuff at all. And then there are those who seem genuine believers, yet they treat ghosts like paranormal pets which do stupid tricks for them.
A medium on a paranormal TV show last night, eagerly explained (for viewers) that mirrors were portals for ghosts to transport from their plane to our own. (She must've seen Mary Worth / Bloody Mary as a kid?) I think there will always be a weird fascination and "market" to cater to with these shows not just because sometimes creepy is fun, but it's an indirect way to process the concept of death?
MsNomer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2013, 07:30 PM   #20
Verklagekasper
Muse

Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post
A medium on a paranormal TV show last night, eagerly explained (for viewers) that mirrors were portals for ghosts to transport from their plane to our own. (She must've seen Mary Worth / Bloody Mary as a kid?) I think there will always be a weird fascination and "market" to cater to with these shows not just because sometimes creepy is fun, but it's an indirect way to process the concept of death?
There is certainly a religious aspect to it. TV ghost hunters often make references to the "afterlife". I don't know though what they find so appealing about the notion of living on in a limbo state after death...
As for ghosts requiring mirrors or any other sort of portal, that really seems to come from modern urban legends.

Just for fun, some more trivia on ghost mythology:

Greek mythology has stories about legions of gods and monsters, yet it doesn't include the notion of ghosts walking the earth and interferig there with the living. The spirits of the dead were thought to have a firm place in the underworld.

Charles Fort, who collected tons of reports on the supernatural and happens to be the name giver of things "fortean", was more than open-minded and believed in a lot of things. Except ghosts:

"Throughout this book, my views, or preconceptions, or bigotries, are against spiritual interpretations, or assertions of the existence of spirits, as independent very long from human bodies. ... My notion is that Dean Vaughan departed, going where any iceberg goes when it melts, or where any flame goes when it is extinguished."
-- Charles Fort, Wild Talents
Old 8th February 2013, 01:14 PM   #21
MsNomer
New Blood

I question the value behind the condolence "your dearly departed will always be there beside you." (That would be hell form them, not limbo.)
Old 8th February 2013, 01:18 PM   #22
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
So you ever take any of this collection of knuckleheads seriously?

Why?
Enough people do for it to stay on the air. Nonsense shows like this just helps to keep america stupid.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2013, 08:14 PM   #23
sloinker
Critical Thinker

I watch most of these shows and while being skeptical of 99% of the stuff they come up with there is sometimes just a glimmer of uncertainty when something odd occurs and is documented. I am sure of these odd occurences, 99% of these can be explained if thorough debunking is actually used. That leaves .1% unexplained. I like that there is maybe a little mystery left and don't want to become too complacent in my skeptical views. Now psychics are another matter, like the OP, I really do become pizzed off when I see them being interviewed for their "unique" input by the mis-informed that employ them.
sloinker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2013, 08:57 PM   #24
Verklagekasper
Muse

Originally Posted by sloinker View Post
I watch most of these shows and while being skeptical of 99% of the stuff they come up with there is sometimes just a glimmer of uncertainty when something odd occurs and is documented. I am sure of these odd occurences, 99% of these can be explained if thorough debunking is actually used. That leaves .1% unexplained. I like that there is maybe a little mystery left and don't want to become too complacent in my skeptical views. Now psychics are another matter, like the OP, I really do become pizzed off when I see them being interviewed for their "unique" input by the mis-informed that employ them.
This sums up my view, though I couldn't have formulated it that way. I do watch many of these shows, and while I'm overall skeptic, I keep looking for a glimmer of mystery. Because materialistc world views are just boring. Luckily, mystery can be found in quantum physics, since it undermines the notion of objective reality.
Old 9th February 2013, 06:45 AM   #25
Tristan Chi
Thinker

materialistc world views are just boring.
Why?
Tristan Chi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2013, 06:52 AM   #26
Cainkane1
Philosopher

I watch because they go into neat places. Castles, mansions, abandoned hospitals etc. The ghost hunting is absurd and I can watch the show without being put off by the woow woo crap.
Old 9th February 2013, 07:19 AM   #27
azzthom
Muse

Personally, I view such programs as silly entertainment. If anyone takes them seriously that's their problem and not mine. There is also an occasional moment that makes them fantastically, deliciously and superbly entertaining - The Derek Acorah/Kreed Kafer incident being the best example. I still smile when I think of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PW_ONN8odYs
azzthom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2013, 08:15 AM   #28
De_Bunk
Scourge of the Believer

Dr B ...

Yes..I am ignorant..and yes..most things are beyond me, nowadays..

But i will (as you have been here long enough to know) always be a 'ranter' when things annoy me..

DB

(PS..I also have no idea how i came to that conclusion form what you posted in reply..But that's the way i roll..)

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal