ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags child custody , human rights , international law

Old 22nd February 2013, 06:47 PM   #241
joesixpack
Illuminator

Originally Posted by DreamingNaiad View Post
Has anyone actually said she was right to abscond with the children? Or have people just been saying their removal from Australia was unnecessarily violent?
Many have said that it was wrong to return them to their father. I'm not certain how this is different than approving of kidnapping as no one has been able to clarify that point. Maybe they believe that there should be an 18 month statute of limitations? If you get the child and keep him away from his or her parent for 18 months you win?
Old 22nd February 2013, 06:50 PM   #242
joesixpack
Illuminator

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Sweetie, it's the weekend. And there's not a damn bit of point in arguing further. Everybody's already decided what they think and refused to consider otherwise.
Yes, principles are suspended on weekends, just like parental rights are suspended when someone manages to kidnap a child. Finders keepers? Possession is nine tenths? You snooze you lose? Something like that?
Old 22nd February 2013, 06:57 PM   #243
joesixpack
Illuminator

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Are you saying I'm anti-father? You couldn't be more wrong.

It looks like you were on the wrong end of a custody dispute, and if so, you have my sympathies. But I can disagree with you without warranting a label, as much as labels (like kidnapper and unfit mother) are popular in this thread.
It seems that pretty early on you alluded to the idea that the mother is the more fit parent. I don't know if I misread you there but I haven't seen anything you've said to distance yourself from that position.

And no, I was on the right end of a custody dispute (thank you for your sympathies just the same). I am in a position where I could legally terminate all of my ex's parental rights but I don't because I recognize that it would not be to my son's benefit. I have a great many reasons to hate his mother but I have managed to put those aside for the sake of a child. I'm wondering why there is no recognition that this is the best arrangement for the children when a mother takes the kids.

Suppose the shoe was on the other foot? Suppose the father was living in Australia and then snatched the kids and brought them to Italy? Would you have felt so negatively towards the mother winning her children back in the Italian courts?
Old 22nd February 2013, 07:17 PM   #244
smartcooky
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
There is a hell of a lot of assuming going on, here.
Yep

Many people are assuming that they know all about this family; assuming that the father is blameless in any of this; assuming that the mother is unfit.

Yes, a lot of assuming is going on alright.
OCCAMS Razor - 9/11 was a terrorist attack by Islamic extremists organised by Osama Bin Laden; the Apollo astronauts walked on the Moon; JFK was assassinated by a single gunmen, Lee Harvey Oswald, acting alone.
► "Conspiracism is a shortcut to the illusion of erudition." - JayUtah
► Heisenberg's Law - The weirdness of the Universe is inversely proportional to the scale at which you observe it, or not.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2013, 07:18 PM   #245
katy_did
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
You can be happy with bad people and unhappy with good. Thats why I would let the kids decide rather than rule on the merits of which parent followed the rules the most.
The problem is that what the kids want and what is in their best interests aren't necessarily the same thing. That's not to say their wishes shouldn't factor into the decision in a major way, and I think the court took that into account. For example, the judge seemed to imply that if he'd only been making a decision on the two older kids, he may have allowed them to stay on the grounds that they were nearly old enough to decide for themselves anyway, but that he had to make a single decision for all the children as neither party wanted to separate them. So he had to balance the best interests of the younger children, who still had a large portion of their childhood ahead of them, with the stated wishes of the older ones. At least the younger kids will now have a chance to rebuild their relationship with their father, even if too much damage has been done for the older ones to ever restore that bond.

To me it looks like the court decision took into account the children's specific circumstances and their wishes, as well as the possible implications for other abducted children if Australia were to ignore the Hague Convention on this one case (which the court could however have done if there were exceptional reasons for them to stay). In contrast, as joesixpack has said, the argument they should've been allowed to stay seems mainly based on the emotional scene where they were taken to the airport, not on a consideration of all the circumstances in their entirety. Which of course, is exactly the reaction the mother and her family were hoping for.
"All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil, to crazy Ahab, were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Moby Dick".
katy_did is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2013, 07:40 PM   #246
kerikiwi
Philosopher

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Yep

Many people are assuming that they know all about this family; assuming that the father is blameless in any of this; assuming that the mother is unfit.

Yes, a lot of assuming is going on alright.
There is evidence of the mother's unfitness: she kidnapped the children.
There is no evidence of the father's unfitness.
No assumptions there, just statements of fact.
kerikiwi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2013, 07:47 PM   #247
slow lurker
Scholar

Originally Posted by katy_did View Post
I don't know if anyone else has seen the 60 Minutes program on the case? It has interviews with the father and with the mother's family. I just watched it and it's...revealing, let's say.
Thank you.
Very interesting.

There is a lot of hurt for all, no matter the final outcome.
slow lurker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2013, 08:19 PM   #248
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by kerikiwi View Post
Nope. One person's kidnapped is another person's rescued.

You have absolutely no evidence that the mother is unfit. I don't know of any mother who wouldn't do what she thought was in the best interests of her children, courts notwithstanding. You are dealing in personal bias not fact.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2013, 08:22 PM   #249
Wildy
Adelaidean

No, its not not hard to grasp, but without knowing the family circumstances, we should not even be attempting to make judgements about the fitness of the mother. No-one on this forum knows the detailed circumstances of this family, and if they claim they do, then they are lying!

Making your children safe from harm might include having to remove them from the person harming them, and that might include kidnapping them. You do what you have to do!
And yet when push came to shove she didn't bother telling the courts that as a reason to get the return order overturned. So I guess that means she's in on it, or that this whole "daddy is a child molester" thing is just apologia on your part for whatever strange reason you happen to hold.

Wildy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2013, 08:28 PM   #250
ehcks
Illuminator

You have absolutely no evidence that the mother is unfit.
The mother kidnapped the kids and held them hostage for two years. She's made it clear that she wanted this to become a media circus and trained the kids specifically for that.

The father has as yet done nothing wrong that anyone knows of.

By the evidence, the mother is less fit than the father.
Old 22nd February 2013, 08:38 PM   #251
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Less fit for what?

She defied a court. That doesn't necessarily make her an unfit mother. Oh, and replace "rescued" for "kidnapped" and see how your post reads.

ETA "Hostage"??? Some are really letting their emotions get out of control.

Sir Winston Churchill

Last edited by lionking; 22nd February 2013 at 08:40 PM.
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2013, 08:57 PM   #252
kerikiwi
Philosopher

You have absolutely no evidence that the mother is unfit. I don't know of any mother who wouldn't do what she thought was in the best interests of her children, courts notwithstanding. You are dealing in personal bias not fact.
The fact is she kidnapped the children. It is not personal bias. It is fact. It has nothing to do with her motives. By the definition of 'kidnapped' that is what she did.
That is the evidence of her unfitness.
What there is not evidence of is the father's unfitness.
kerikiwi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2013, 09:01 PM   #253
kerikiwi
Philosopher

Less fit for what?

She defied a court. That doesn't necessarily make her an unfit mother. Oh, and replace "rescued" for "kidnapped" and see how your post reads.
ETA "Hostage"??? Some are really letting their emotions get out of control

You are indeed, doing that when you replace 'kidnapped' (which is founded in fact) with 'rescued' (which is founded in unsubstantiated emotion)
Old 22nd February 2013, 09:05 PM   #254
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

I don't see where all this BS about her being an unfit mother comes from when we don''t even know either the family or personal circumstances of these people.

Scenario:
Two separate families have similar circumstances; the parents are separated and the father has custody of all the daughters. Recently, the oldest daughters in each family have finally confided to their mothers that her fathers been sexually abusing them for many years, and are now turning their interests towards the next oldest daughters.

In Family "A" both the mother and the oldest daughter are afraid that the pattern will continue with the younger daughter, so they formulate a and execute a plan to get all the daughters away from the father and to safety in another country.

In Family "B". the mother tells the daughter she is a liar, and she carries on in denial of what she can see has been happening right in front of her for many years.

Who's the unfit mother now, A or B?

Now I'm not saying that this is what is happening with THIS family, but it is one of a number of possible scenarios that fits the picture, especially with the two oldest daughters being the most upset about having to go back to their father.

This is insane.
Damien Evans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2013, 09:06 PM   #255
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

The fact is she kidnapped the children. It is not personal bias. It is fact. It has nothing to do with her motives. By the definition of 'kidnapped' that is what she did.
That is the evidence of her unfitness.
What there is not evidence of is the father's unfitness.
And what if the "kidnapping" is justified? There are certainly circumstances where this is so. And her motives are certainly relevant. If the mother thought, based on the feelings of her children, that she was doing the right thing by them, how does that make her an unfit mother?

She defied a court order. That doesn't in any way make her an unfit mother.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 22nd February 2013, 09:07 PM   #256
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

You are indeed, doing that when you replace 'kidnapped' (which is founded in fact) with 'rescued' (which is founded in unsubstantiated emotion)
My comment was related to the children being held hostage. Do you think they were?

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 22nd February 2013, 09:28 PM   #257
kerikiwi
Philosopher

And what if the "kidnapping" is justified? There are certainly circumstances where this is so. And her motives are certainly relevant. If the mother thought, based on the feelings of her children, that she was doing the right thing by them, how does that make her an unfit mother?

What if the moon is made of green cheese?
I was talking of what there is evidence for.
There is evidence that the mother is unfit, since she kidnapped the children.
There is no evidence that the father is unfit.
Old 22nd February 2013, 09:30 PM   #258
kerikiwi
Philosopher

My comment was related to the children being held hostage. Do you think they were?
My comment was related to your replacing 'kidnapped' with 'rescued'.
That is based on emotion, which you found undesirable from another poster, but seem happy to indulge in yourself
Old 22nd February 2013, 09:36 PM   #259
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

What if the moon is made of green cheese?
I was talking of what there is evidence for.
There is evidence that the mother is unfit, since she kidnapped the children.
There is no evidence that the father is unfit.
Again, completely wrong. The mother's action do not ipso facto make her an unfit mother. Your claim, prove it.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 22nd February 2013, 09:36 PM   #260
joesixpack
Illuminator

And what was she rescuing her children from exactly? Do you have some evidence that the Australian courts didn't have about the horrible sort of person their father was?

You suggest that it's plausible that she was rescuing her children from abuse therefore it must be so?
Old 22nd February 2013, 09:43 PM   #261
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by joesixpack View Post

You suggest that it's plausible that she was rescuing her children from abuse therefore it must be so?
I'm not suggesting any such thing. My point is that the mother's actions do not make her unfit, as so many assume without any evidence at all.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 22nd February 2013, 10:17 PM   #262
joesixpack
Illuminator

Again, completely wrong. The mother's action do not ipso facto make her an unfit mother. Your claim, prove it.
Why is it that you don't have to prove that the father is unfit? We're supposed to just accept that? Did you read the Australian judge's decision?
Old 22nd February 2013, 10:21 PM   #263
kerikiwi
Philosopher

It is proven by the fact that she kidnapped the children.
That is not to say she is totally unfit: there are degrees of unfitness. But kidnapping the children is a start.
Unfit she is, and there is no evidence of the father's unfitness.

Last edited by kerikiwi; 22nd February 2013 at 10:36 PM.
Old 22nd February 2013, 10:23 PM   #264
joesixpack
Illuminator

I'm not suggesting any such thing. My point is that the mother's actions do not make her unfit, as so many assume without any evidence at all.
It has been pretty clearly proven that she broke the laws of both Australia and Italy, and that she has actively alienated the children from their father. At the same time, given ample opportunity, she has produced not one single reason as to why the father should be denied access to his children.

You are only defending a fictionalized version of this woman. The real one is a kidnapper.

Please provide some evidence that her actions were a rescue and not a kidnapping.
Old 22nd February 2013, 10:29 PM   #265
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Why is it that you don't have to prove that the father is unfit? We're supposed to just accept that? Did you read the Australian judge's decision?
I haven't been talking about the father. I didn't say he was unfit, I have been countering the argument that the mother is unfit because, and only because, she tried to keep her daughters. I have seen no evidence of this.

Do you realise that this story is months old? Soon enough the older girls will be able to decide where to live. My money's on them deciding on the mother.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 22nd February 2013, 10:36 PM   #266
joesixpack
Illuminator

I haven't been talking about the father. I didn't say he was unfit,
The **** you say. You are the one who suggested that they were "rescued"
Quote:
I have been countering the argument that the mother is unfit because, and only because, she tried to keep her daughters
...from ever seeing their father." You should have finished that sentence.
Quote:
. I have seen no evidence of this.
Because you haven't made an honest effort. Simply read the judge's decision posted above. It's based on evidence.
Quote:

Do you realise that this story is months old? Soon enough the older girls will be able to decide where to live. My money's on them deciding on the mother.
My money's on them realizing what a bat**** crazy mother they have once they become adults and/or have spent some time in therapy. Any connection that they maintain with her will be out of pity.
Old 22nd February 2013, 10:49 PM   #267
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

The **** you say. You are the one who suggested that they were "rescued" ...from ever seeing their father." You should have finished that sentence.
Because you haven't made an honest effort. Simply read the judge's decision posted above. It's based on evidence.

My money's on them realizing what a bat**** crazy mother they have once they become adults and/or have spent some time in therapy. Any connection that they maintain with her will be out of pity.
You are too emotionally involved to have a sensible debate with at the moment. All of these comments are questionable, to say the least. If you actually read what I wrote, you will see that I never said the mother rescued the girls from the father. And ******* crazy mother? That's a reasonable way to continue a debate?

I think I'll leave you with your absolute certainties. At least some others see shades of grey.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 22nd February 2013, 10:50 PM   #268
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Yes, principles are suspended on weekends, just like parental rights are suspended when someone manages to kidnap a child. Finders keepers? Possession is nine tenths? You snooze you lose? Something like that?
Not all. What I meant was, I'm not going to be responding very much or looking at this site every ten minutes to continue arguing with you because it's the weekend and I have other things to do, so addressing me personally and demanding I answer you will avail you naught.

But by all means, continue arguing with the strawman version of what you think I said, if it entertains you.
Old 22nd February 2013, 11:02 PM   #269
Charlie Wilkes
Illuminator

The problem is that what the kids want and what is in their best interests aren't necessarily the same thing.
Do you really think that what was done to them last fall was in their best interest? You'll never convince me. I don't even think the court system believes they served the best interest of the kids. They saw it as fulfilling the requirements of the law, under which the father has rights, and the kids don't.

That's not to say their wishes shouldn't factor into the decision in a major way, and I think the court took that into account. For example, the judge seemed to imply that if he'd only been making a decision on the two older kids, he may have allowed them to stay
Hmmm. They were dragged kicking and screaming from their home against their wishes, they were separated from their mother against their wishes, they were flown to the other side of the planet against their wishes, and they were put under the control of their father against their wishes. But the judge "seemed to imply" something or other, which proves that he cares about their wishes and that he really and truly factored their wishes into his decision.

Really?

on the grounds that they were nearly old enough to decide for themselves anyway, but that he had to make a single decision for all the children as neither party wanted to separate them. So he had to balance the best interests of the younger children, who still had a large portion of their childhood ahead of them, with the stated wishes of the older ones. At least the younger kids will now have a chance to rebuild their relationship with their father, even if too much damage has been done for the older ones to ever restore that bond.

To me it looks like the court decision took into account the children's specific circumstances and their wishes, as well as the possible implications for other abducted children if Australia were to ignore the Hague Convention on this one case (which the court could however have done if there were exceptional reasons for them to stay). In contrast, as joesixpack has said, the argument they should've been allowed to stay seems mainly based on the emotional scene where they were taken to the airport, not on a consideration of all the circumstances in their entirety. Which of course, is exactly the reaction the mother and her family were hoping for.
Perhaps. But the police played into her hand with great enthusiasm, wouldn't you say?

"We are the police! You are UNDER ARREST!"

Everyone in this saga has made choices, and that was their choice - to wrestle hysterical children to the ground in front of a news camera.

That wasn't scripted by the mother, or the kids, or the crazy grandmother.

BTW, I watched the 60 Minutes episode; thanks for the link. It largely confirmed what I already knew or suspected about the people involved. What I hadn't realized was the extent to which the Australian embassy abetted this drama. That is interesting.
Charlie Wilkes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2013, 11:11 PM   #270
Charlie Wilkes
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Wildy View Post
And yet when push came to shove she didn't bother telling the courts that as a reason to get the return order overturned. So I guess that means she's in on it, or that this whole "daddy is a child molester" thing is just apologia on your part for whatever strange reason you happen to hold.
Take a look at the 60 Minutes clip Katy linked. The kids' mother - at the cost of making a liar out of her own mother - drew a line on this, and made it clear she does not think the father would sexually abuse the kids.
Charlie Wilkes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2013, 02:39 AM   #271
Wildy
Adelaidean

And that makes what smartcooky said even less likely.

Wildy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2013, 03:14 AM   #272
DreamingNaiad
Muse

Many have said that it was wrong to return them to their father. I'm not certain how this is different than approving of kidnapping as no one has been able to clarify that point. Maybe they believe that there should be an 18 month statute of limitations? If you get the child and keep him away from his or her parent for 18 months you win?
So the answer to my first question was no. People aren't saying they should be allowed to stay because what the mother did was ok. Only that the kids should have had some say. Your saying that because she dragged them half way around the world illegally that they should be dragged back in order to make things right. But it's not about the mother or the father, it's about the kids. And this incident was certainly not in their best interests psychologically.
DreamingNaiad is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2013, 03:44 AM   #273
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Re: The Australian "custody sisters"

Where in that post did I say this whole situation wasn't the mother's fault? Just because she started this chain of events doesn't mean the police handled it well. Or that the way the kids removal degenerated was entirely her fault. I've even already agreed that the court was right to remove the kids from her custody. She sounds unstable and untrustworthy and I doubt she'll get any unsupervised access after pulling this stunt.
What should they have done other than give up and let her keep the kids?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2013, 03:49 AM   #274
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

There is no evidence of the father's unfitness.
No assumptions there, just statements of fact.
You are forgetting the obvious evidence of his unfitness, being a father instead of a mother.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2013, 03:52 AM   #275
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Less fit for what?

ETA "Hostage"??? Some are really letting their emotions get out of control.
Kids need to be raise by relatives that hate their ethnicity to make them know their worth. Lying scumbag Italians.
Old 23rd February 2013, 03:54 AM   #276
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

At least she was doing everything she could to poison them against their father like all responsible parents.
Old 23rd February 2013, 03:58 AM   #277
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

So as kidnapping your kids blocking access and turning your kids against their other parent isn't evidence of being unfit what is?
Old 23rd February 2013, 04:06 AM   #278
OnlyTellsTruths

And what if the "kidnapping" is justified? There are certainly circumstances where this is so.

You appear to be saying there are cases where kidnapping is justified and illegal.

Because if it was not illegal she could just go tell the authorities the reason for the kidnapping, they would take care of it in the appropriate manner, and it would then cease to be a kidnapping.

Therefore, again, you must be saying it is justified and illegal, both at the same time.

And it follows from that that you must be saying that the current law is unjust.
Old 23rd February 2013, 04:06 AM   #279
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

So the answer to my first question was no. People aren't saying they should be allowed to stay because what the mother did was ok. Only that the kids should have had some say. Your saying that because she dragged them half way around the world illegally that they should be dragged back in order to make things right. But it's not about the mother or the father, it's about the kids. And this incident was certainly not in their best interests psychologically.
So whay do you think about pulling kids away from the only family they knew? Like the example of the mother winning in the courts against the father who took them to islamic countries? Clearly that is as wrong to tear them away from the only family they knew.
Old 23rd February 2013, 04:08 AM   #280
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by OnlyTellsTruths View Post
You appear to be saying there are cases where kidnapping is justified and illegal.

Because if it was not illegal she could just go tell the authorities the reason for the kidnapping, they would take care of it in the appropriate manner, and it would then cease to be a kidnapping.

Therefore, again, you must be saying it is justified and illegal, both at the same time.

And it follows from that that you must be saying that the current law is unjust.
Wrong. Extremely faulty logic.

Sir Winston Churchill

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events