IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags atheism

Old 14th May 2013, 04:40 PM   #81
Arcade22
Philosopher

And no, Cuba is not a brutal and corrupt dictatorship, and it's definitely less so than Sweden. - dann
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2013, 05:50 PM   #82
Ben Adams
Banned

Attached Images
File Type: jpg carbo.jpg (116.3 KB, 35 views)
Ben Adams is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2013, 10:11 PM   #83
Ben Adams
Banned

Attached Images
File Type: jpg fools.jpg (59.3 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg athe.jpg (77.7 KB, 25 views)
Ben Adams is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2013, 09:04 AM   #84
Ben Adams
Banned

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 943773_10200381553794100_473358523_n.jpg (100.6 KB, 47 views)
Old 15th May 2013, 11:46 AM   #85
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Recovering Agnostic View Post
I don't know whether that one originated with Gervais - I had a hard time tracing its origins back when I was investigating it last year - but the truth's a bit more complicated than that. The 93% and the 1% figures are easily found, but they're answers to different questions, with very different methodologies and exclusions.
Lots of fun stuff in the thread, but I really enjoyed your post. Would the quote be any less powerful if it said "about 90%" and "about 10%"? I don't think so. But it would be far more accurate.

By the way, I think it is part of the point of the quote that religion is seen as a positive in a prison system with such a high rate of recidivism. It is a bit like abstinence only sex ed being correlated with high rates of teen pregnancy. Our prisons do little to rehabilitate criminals beyond making them convert to some religion. What a waste.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2013, 12:15 PM   #86
Ben Adams
Banned

I can fix the Gervais meme I did after all create it, I got that info from someone on a talk forum and as well all know good information is hard to find.
If 90/10 would be "true" then I will fix it. I build most of the memes I post, if you see something that is wrong just tell me and I will appreciate it.
Also if you have a meme idea then run it by me as I do love to make them,
(mine are a bit different from most of them) and I enjoy helping to spread the thoughts and the fun!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tomorrow.jpg (32.5 KB, 24 views)
Old 15th May 2013, 01:42 PM   #87
joesixpack
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
Who the hell is Aalewis?
Old 15th May 2013, 04:08 PM   #88
TheDoLittle
Disco King Discombobulator

Originally Posted by joesixpack View Post
Who the hell is Aalewis?
DUH! The guy in the hat!
America believes in education: the average professor earns more money in a year than a professional athlete earns in a whole week. - Evan Esar / No one can earn a million dollars honestly. - William Jennings Bryan (1860 - 1925) / If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; But if you really make them think, they'll hate you. - Don Marquis
TheDoLittle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2013, 04:43 PM   #89
Ben Adams
Banned

Self promotional meme?
Old 15th May 2013, 06:49 PM   #90
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

Old 15th May 2013, 06:58 PM   #91
joesixpack
Illuminator

Originally Posted by TheDoLittle View Post
DUH! The guy in the hat!
Originally Posted by Ben Adams View Post
Self promotional meme?

Looking intellectual in his Sonic the Hedgehog Tshirt too.

Seriously, is he notable for something aside from his self-promotional meme attempt? I mean, if you're going to be famous for saying something, at least it should be either witty or smart (hopefully both).

Last edited by joesixpack; 15th May 2013 at 07:00 PM.
joesixpack is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2013, 05:59 PM   #92
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
I build most of the memes I post
Nice work, Ben Adams!

Keep them coming!
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2013, 06:34 PM   #93
Brian-M
Daydreamer

Originally Posted by TheDoLittle View Post
Who the hell is Aalewis?
DUH! The guy in the hat!

That doesn't really tell us who he his. I've got no idea who the guy in the picture is either, except from the caption his name is supposedly "Aalewis".

Searching the net for "Aalewis" I get hits for lots of people with the surname "lewis" and the initials A.A., so that doesn't narrow it down for me much.

Is he the Aaron Lewis of the Spring Run Athletic Association?
Is he the Adam Atkins Lewis the geologist?
Is he the "aalewis" from the Game Knot forum?
Is he the Andrew A Lewis with the Facebook page "aalewis98"?
(Wait, nope. Just looked at that page and it definitely isn't him.)
Is he the Aalewis0807 who wrote the free consumer behavior essay?
Is he the A. A. Lewis, Assistant Lecturer in the Department of Linguistics & African Languages of the University of Ibadan?
(And so on, ad infinitum.)

How the hell are we supposed to know who he is?

But I did find this...
Quote:
"In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony God’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my own intelligence."

— Aalewis on his own intelligence. We are still trying to figure out if he was wearing a fedora.
http://historyquotes.tumblr.com

So I suppose he must be somewhat famous, at least among tumblr users.

Last edited by Brian-M; 17th May 2013 at 06:36 PM.
Brian-M is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2013, 06:56 PM   #94
joesixpack
Illuminator

Looks like more of what we used to call a pork pie than a fedora. Seems like when I was a kid, the wider brimmed hat was called a fedora and the narrower brims were referred to as pork pies. At least, that's what my grandfather called his hat.
Old 17th May 2013, 06:58 PM   #95
Ben Adams
Banned

Well whatever it is it sure doesn't make him look cool. (like he obviously thinks it does)
Old 17th May 2013, 07:01 PM   #96
joesixpack
Illuminator

This just in! Aalewis appears to be a smug nobody.

ETA; The discussion and photo on Reddit. It appears that this poor misguided but earnest young freethinker has gotten an interwebz beatdown over it.

Last edited by joesixpack; 17th May 2013 at 07:12 PM.
joesixpack is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2013, 10:43 AM   #97
Ben Adams
Banned

Attached Images
File Type: jpg good.jpg (134.3 KB, 41 views)
Old 18th May 2013, 04:25 PM   #98
Brian-M
Daydreamer

Woah.... for a second I thought the hand Hitler was shaking in that picture was back-to-front (a right hand attached to the left arm). Then I realized that the arm belonged to the other guy.
Old 18th May 2013, 06:24 PM   #99
The Fallen Serpent
Master Poster

http://www.i-am-bored.com/bored_link.cfm?link_id=85498
Old 19th May 2013, 04:13 AM   #100
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

[/url]ETA; The discussion and photo on Reddit. It appears that this poor misguided but earnest young freethinker has gotten an interwebz beatdown over it.

Man, that thread has had me lolling more than this entire thread put together. It's a little cruel, but all the best humour is.
Old 19th May 2013, 04:40 AM   #101
Ben Adams
Banned

Sheesh do Ya think they stepped on him enough for that?

"Open to criticism."
Deletes post and account.

Well apparently he aint THAT *********** stupid.....

He's a ham but ****, I wish I had had enough sense to say something that stupid when I was his age, instead I just spent the next 25 years lost in *********** agnostic purgatory.
Old 22nd May 2013, 09:01 AM   #102
joesixpack
Illuminator

Sheesh do Ya think they stepped on him enough for that?

"Open to criticism."
Deletes post and account.

Well apparently he aint THAT *********** stupid.....

He's a ham but ****, I wish I had had enough sense to say something that stupid when I was his age, instead I just spent the next 25 years lost in *********** agnostic purgatory.
Yeah, I feel bad for the kid. As one poster said, we all say or do things that we will forever look back on and cringe over.
Old 22nd May 2013, 09:30 AM   #103
Ben Adams
Banned

When I see pics of when I was his age and how I was dressing I think holy cow WTF were you thinking man?
Old 22nd May 2013, 10:11 AM   #104
Mudcat
Man of a Thousand Memes

Old 23rd May 2013, 01:51 AM   #105
Brian-M
Daydreamer

A comic rather than a meme: http://amultiverse.com/2013/05/22/the-miracle
Old 23rd May 2013, 05:10 AM   #106
Ben Adams
Banned

Attached Images
File Type: jpg bible.jpg (74.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg bdsm.jpg (32.8 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg cbt1.jpg (37.7 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg draw.jpg (105.7 KB, 29 views)
Old 23rd May 2013, 01:53 PM   #107
Ben Adams
Banned

Attached Images
File Type: jpg jesus.jpg (128.4 KB, 18 views)
Old 23rd May 2013, 02:01 PM   #108
Fudbucker
Philosopher

That one requires a lot of cognitive dissonance. Atheist regimes in the last century haven't exactly been bulwarks of morality.
Fudbucker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2013, 02:05 PM   #109
Ben Adams
Banned

Name an atheist regime and thanks for the new word bulwarks though I cant think of anyplace yet I might use it.
Old 23rd May 2013, 02:36 PM   #110
Dani
Master Poster

This thread is a treasure! Thanks to all contributors!
Dani is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2013, 02:49 PM   #111
Fudbucker
Philosopher

Name an atheist regime and thanks for the new word bulwarks though I cant think of anyplace yet I might use it.
Soviet Union Communist Party during Stalin/Lenin, Chinese Communist Party up until the 70's, Cuban Communist Party, Khmer rouge...
Fudbucker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2013, 02:50 PM   #112
Ben Adams
Banned

Oh I thought you meant in the USA
Old 23rd May 2013, 03:12 PM   #113
Fudbucker
Philosopher

Oh I thought you meant in the USA
I don't know why you would have though that when I was responding to a picture of Hitler.
Old 23rd May 2013, 03:16 PM   #114
Ben Adams
Banned

Yes well I didn't know that, I put two periods in each of the posts then the attached image so they all look the same when you quote them and I had now way of knowing.
I did think that comment rather strange for a Oujia board though.
Old 23rd May 2013, 03:33 PM   #115
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

Old 23rd May 2013, 03:42 PM   #116
Fudbucker
Philosopher

Yes well I didn't know that, I put two periods in each of the posts then the attached image so they all look the same when you quote them and I had now way of knowing.
I did think that comment rather strange for a Oujia board though.
LOL!
Old 23rd May 2013, 04:25 PM   #117
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Stolen from madurobob in another thread:

Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2013, 10:30 PM   #118
patchbunny
Graduate Poster

"So, they laugh at my boner, will they? I'll show them! I'll show them how many boners the Joker can make!" -- The Joker, Batman #66
patchbunny is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2013, 08:58 AM   #119
Ben Adams
Banned

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-14.jpg (78.9 KB, 27 views)
Old 25th May 2013, 08:28 PM   #120
Ben Adams
Banned

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-6.jpg (62.3 KB, 17 views)

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy