ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bolt , lightning , pope , religion , resignation , vatican

Old 11th February 2013, 08:57 PM   #1
NetPen
Scholar

Lightning strikes Vatican After Pope Resignation

http://news.uk.msn.com/blog/trending...f40891&_nwpt=1

Several questions that I have are:
How often does lightning occur over the Vatican City?
And
Is the top of that building made out of any particular materials, let's say metal, to make it more susceptible to lightning strikes? In which case, were there any weather reports of any electrical current buildups, or whatever it's called, during or before the day when the Pope resigned?

Posts and comments are appreciated
NetPen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2013, 09:48 PM   #2
JohnG
Pedantic Bore

I believe that means the next Pope will be Captain Marvel.
Old 11th February 2013, 09:57 PM   #3
StankApe
Banned

Can't wait for the Onion headline:

"Lightning strikes house moments after Eddie had a wonderful nap"
StankApe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2013, 10:06 PM   #4
FreshHat
Why, You Little...

Almighty Thor is angry...or happy.

Hard to tell.
Old 11th February 2013, 10:23 PM   #5
skyguy
New Blood

I was not aware that lightning struck the Vatican the day the pope said nope to being pope. It is certainly an odd coincidence. It would be very interesting to know if lightning hitting the Vatican is a common occurrence. It would be astounding if the last time that happened was approximately 600 years ago. Which would make it the last time a pope quite.

I was baptised Catholic when I was a child but I do not follow it today. Even so, it did bother me somewhat when the cardinals elected Ratzinger ( the pope who said nope) as he was a member of the Nazi youth during world war 2. He said he was obligated to and that all children in Germany at that time had to be Nazi youth, but that sounds to me a lot like the "I was just following orders" excuse that didn't excuse Nazi war criminals for their actions during the trials that occrued after the war.

I am not a religious man, but to me, it shows just how false the papacy is if they could elect someone tainted with anything to do with the Nazis. How can anyone believe that such a man is the representative of God on this earth?
skyguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2013, 10:31 PM   #6
StankApe
Banned

well, in his defense, if you were a kid, you either went in Nazi Youth, or your family didn't get the same rations as everyone else, and you might get harassed and all sorts of bad things.
StankApe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2013, 10:37 PM   #7
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

As far as I know, it isn't at all unusual to put a lightning rod on top of tall buildings.
Old 11th February 2013, 10:41 PM   #8
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
As far as I know, it isn't at all unusual to put a lightning rod on top of tall buildings.
The irony of a lighting rod on the top of the Vatican is seemingly lost on the followers.
----------------------------------------------
“That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.” -Christopher Hitchens-
Nay_Sayer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2013, 10:42 PM   #9
Strawberry
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by skyguy View Post
I was not aware that lightning struck the Vatican the day the pope said nope to being pope. It is certainly an odd coincidence. It would be very interesting to know if lightning hitting the Vatican is a common occurrence. It would be astounding if the last time that happened was approximately 600 years ago. Which would make it the last time a pope quite.

I was baptised Catholic when I was a child but I do not follow it today. Even so, it did bother me somewhat when the cardinals elected Ratzinger ( the pope who said nope) as he was a member of the Nazi youth during world war 2. He said he was obligated to and that all children in Germany at that time had to be Nazi youth, but that sounds to me a lot like the "I was just following orders" excuse that didn't excuse Nazi war criminals for their actions during the trials that occrued after the war.

I am not a religious man, but to me, it shows just how false the papacy is if they could elect someone tainted with anything to do with the Nazis. How can anyone believe that such a man is the representative of God on this earth?
BBM.

It sounds to me like the truth. Membership of the Hitler Youth was legally mandated from 1935 onwards, and I think its a bit silly to compare a 14 year old boy living under a totalitarian regime to a Nazi war criminal. Of all the criticisms that could be made of Ratzinger, that one doesn't hold up to any kind of scrutiny.
Strawberry is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2013, 10:48 PM   #10
StankApe
Banned

Yeah, it's not like he was an SS volunteer or anything.
Old 11th February 2013, 10:51 PM   #11
Hungry81
Graduate Poster

Re: Lightning strikes Vatican After Pope Resignation

Originally Posted by FreshHat View Post

Hard to tell.
I was going to post the same thing about Zeus.
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2013, 12:14 AM   #12
mikado
Graduate Poster

"Nazi"pope

I could be wrong, but I think that he has a fairly good record as a young man.
Wasn't he involved with rescuing concentration camp survivors etc.

As to membership in the awful Hitler Youth, that wasn't optional.
Working in a concentration camp,however, was.
mikado is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2013, 05:21 AM   #13
pakeha
Penultimate Amazing

Hard to tell.
Originally Posted by Hungry81 View Post
I was going to post the same thing about Zeus.
I posted up a similar comment on DOC's thread over in R&P:
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=253295

The OP is amusing enough, in which he compares the occurrence to something that happened during the filming of Mel's film about the Passion.

Spooky!

Last edited by pakeha; 12th February 2013 at 05:23 AM.
pakeha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2013, 07:57 AM   #14
NetPen
Scholar

Someone here mentioned that there was a lightning rod installed on top of the Vatican, is that true? Also, how good are we (as a collective) in predicting the chances of lightining or thunderstorms and from how far back in time can we make such a prediction?
NetPen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2013, 08:12 AM   #15
Biscuit
Philosopher

Originally Posted by NetPen View Post
Someone here mentioned that there was a lightning rod installed on top of the Vatican, is that true? Also, how good are we (as a collective) in predicting the chances of lightining or thunderstorms and from how far back in time can we make such a prediction?
We can't predict things that have already happened.

I have never seen a church steeple or tall building without a lightening rod. I am sure the vatican gets struck on a regular basis.
Old 12th February 2013, 10:03 AM   #16
NetPen
Scholar

Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
We can't predict things that have already happened.

I have never seen a church steeple or tall building without a lightening rod. I am sure the vatican gets struck on a regular basis.
That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about weather predictions and all that. How accurate can we be on predicting thunderstorms at a X% of occurrence within an Y number of days?
Old 12th February 2013, 01:00 PM   #17
calwaterbear
Thinker

deleted

Last edited by calwaterbear; 12th February 2013 at 01:12 PM.
calwaterbear is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2013, 01:23 PM   #18
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Was Electro in Rome?
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2013, 01:26 PM   #19
aggle-rithm
Ardent Formulist

Hard to tell.
Reminds me of an episode of "Drawn Together":

Capt. Hero: Lord, what should I do? Give me a sign!

(A fiery ram-beast crashes through a window and runs through the room, exiting the other side.)

Capt. Hero: OK...now tell me what it means!

Woo's razor: Never attribute to stupidity that which can be adequately explained by aliens.
aggle-rithm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2013, 02:11 PM   #20
Biscuit
Philosopher

Originally Posted by NetPen View Post
That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about weather predictions and all that. How accurate can we be on predicting thunderstorms at a X% of occurrence within an Y number of days?
How far back does the study of weather, or meteorology, go? I am not certain but you should be able to google that. I am sure that the forecasting, not predicting, of weather has improved greatly since the early days of the science.

I am not sure what your point is with this line of thinking as forecasting thunderstorms does not tell you exactly where lightning will strike. What we do know is that lightning is a natural and common occurrence that happens thousands of times every day.

The vatican fairly dominates it's surroundings and is probably struck several times a year.
Old 13th February 2013, 07:10 AM   #21
RenaissanceBiker
Eats shoots and leaves.

It was struck a few hours later? What took the diety so long? Why lightning? If you want to express displeasure, give us an earthquake, a volcano AND lightning. Then we would get it.
Old 13th February 2013, 08:07 AM   #22
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Originally Posted by RenaissanceBiker View Post
It was struck a few hours later? What took the diety so long? Why lightning? If you want to express displeasure, give us an earthquake, a volcano AND lightning. Then we would get it.
And if you want to make a point, why not have thelightning do something that it would not do naturally? I'd be more impressed if it missed the lightning rod, the steeple, and the roof, weaved between buildings, and hit the ground just in front of the doors.

I mean, this is like claiming your rain dance works, but only when it's stormy.
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2013, 08:25 AM   #23
P.J. Denyer
Master Poster

Tall building with lightning rod in 'struck by lightning' shock. In other weather news-: Rain reported to be 'wet'.
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2013, 09:41 AM   #24
Biscuit
Philosopher

What on earth would be the message anyway? Does the lightning mean he is happy about this? Sad? angry?
Old 13th February 2013, 10:23 AM   #25
JohnG
Pedantic Bore

And how large a window of time before during and after the announcement does the lightning strike count as meaningful? If it hit a week later, would people still be amazed?
Old 13th February 2013, 11:21 AM   #26
Soapy Sam
Penultimate Amazing

Some would.
Soapy Sam is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2013, 12:25 PM   #27
George 152
Philosopher

Photoshopped !
George 152 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2013, 01:39 PM   #28
Biscuit
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
And how large a window of time before during and after the announcement does the lightning strike count as meaningful? If it hit a week later, would people still be amazed?
The only way I would be amazed is if the lightning never stopped hitting the dome.
Old 13th February 2013, 04:23 PM   #29
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

At the risk of bringing the MonkeyWrath down on this thread, here's a Troi quote...

Quote:
LIKO: I have no choice. I must do as the Picard wishes.
TROI: Are you sure you know what he wants? That's the problem with believing in a supernatural being. Trying to determine what he wants.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2013, 11:02 AM   #30
NetPen
Scholar

How far back does the study of weather, or meteorology, go? I am not certain but you should be able to google that. I am sure that the forecasting, not predicting, of weather has improved greatly since the early days of the science.

I am not sure what your point is with this line of thinking as forecasting thunderstorms does not tell you exactly where lightning will strike. What we do know is that lightning is a natural and common occurrence that happens thousands of times every day.

The vatican fairly dominates it's surroundings and is probably struck several times a year.
That's the word that I was thinking about. Sorry for any confusion.

What on earth would be the message anyway? Does the lightning mean he is happy about this? Sad? angry?
And that's another major problem with omens in general.

Last edited by NetPen; 15th February 2013 at 11:03 AM.
Old 16th February 2013, 09:20 AM   #31
autumn1971
Master Poster

Horny. Lightning is God's money shot.

Yes, I know lightning happens millions of times a week--that's why he's God.
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2013, 10:30 AM   #32
tsig
a carbon based life-form

Originally Posted by skyguy View Post

The pope was a mope?
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2013, 10:32 AM   #33
tsig
a carbon based life-form

Originally Posted by RenaissanceBiker View Post
Better aim would help.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2013, 10:34 AM   #34
tsig
a carbon based life-form

Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
BBM.

It sounds to me like the truth. Membership of the Hitler Youth was legally mandated from 1935 onwards, and I think its a bit silly to compare a 14 year old boy living under a totalitarian regime to a Nazi war criminal. Of all the criticisms that could be made of Ratzinger, that one doesn't hold up to any kind of scrutiny.
His infallible years were ahead of him.
Old 3rd March 2013, 01:09 AM   #35
S.F.
New Blood

"We have carried out a theoretical calculation for a building like St Peter's Basilica. The outcome is that - compared to a tolerable risk level of one in 100,000 (in any one year) - we have actually come out with a risk of one in 112. That is pretty high."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21630874
S.F. is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2013, 02:30 AM   #36
pakeha
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by autumn1971 View Post
Horny. Lightning is God's money shot.

Yes, I know lightning happens millions of times a week--that's why he's God.
pakeha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2013, 12:24 PM   #37
JohnG
Pedantic Bore

Originally Posted by S.F. View Post
"We have carried out a theoretical calculation for a building like St Peter's Basilica. The outcome is that - compared to a tolerable risk level of one in 100,000 (in any one year) - we have actually come out with a risk of one in 112. That is pretty high."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21630874

And Ratzinger always has been a bit of a lightning rod.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal