ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 17th March 2013, 09:11 AM   #1
Humes fork
Banned

RationalWiki's article on skepticism

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Skepticism

Accurate or not? Could do with improvements or generally fine?

A quick thought of mine upon a glance about this sentence: "As a result, skepticism is the true meaning of having an open mind, and in many respects is synonymous with the scientific method." Isn't it the case that skepticism includes the scientific method, but is broader, including, history, logic and some philosophy as well?

In case you didn't know, RationalWiki is a skeptic and atheist wiki orginally created to make fun of Conservapedia. It seems to have morphed into something more serious now, but it's still written with humor.
Humes fork is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2013, 11:29 AM   #2
Sophronius
Critical Thinker

Mweh, it's okay. I feel the page puts too much focus on the idea that you have to doubt everything. Personally I would highlight that to be a proper sceptic, you have to know how much confidence to assign to each claim: when to doubt and when not to doubt. For example, some claims are just not worth considering, and a good skeptic should say so. On the other hand, just sitting in a chair and saying "Evidence?" whenever someone makes a claim isn't being skeptical either. I would define skepticism as the act of determining the likelihood of claims purely based on the available evidence, without letting personal preference of biases play a role.

Edit: I did find that the page on different types of evidence was lacking, so I adjusted that to include the bayesian notion of evidence (kind of important imo).

Last edited by Sophronius; 17th March 2013 at 11:32 AM.
Sophronius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2013, 04:24 PM   #3
Dinwar
Penultimate Amazing

What IS the scientific method? If you mean "the method scientists use", there are innumerable scientific methods (how we deal with issues depends on the issue at hand). If you mean the high school version, you've just eliminated theoretical physicists.

Science and skepticism aren't the same, and science certainly is not a subset of skepticism.
Dinwar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2013, 12:50 PM   #4
Humes fork
Banned

Originally Posted by Dinwar View Post
Science and skepticism aren't the same, and science certainly is not a subset of skepticism.
So is skepticism then a subset of science?
Humes fork is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal