ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags works

Old 22nd July 2004, 02:19 PM   #121
Chris Haynes
Perfectly Poisonous Person

oops... my bad... Sorry, Benguin.

Anyway... it is kind of a "mass knowing" kind of question for Kumar... since there is lots of confusion over gravity (force? acceleration? mass? does F=ma or F=d(mv)/dt ?... what did Newton really mean in his 2nd law of motion?, what is the relation to mass, mole and Avogadro's number?).

To restate in a less confusing manner (I checked this http://www.physchem.co.za/Motion/Gravity.htm ) and found I did somewhat mistate it:

Kumar: what do 99% of the people think is the acceleration due to gravity?

"HCN, I hate you!"
( so sayeth Deetee at http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?p=1077344 )...
What I get for linking to http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/
Chris Haynes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2004, 02:36 PM   #122
Benguin
Too Chilled For The Anti-Homeopathy Illuminati

Quote:
Originally posted by Hydrogen Cyanide
oops... my bad... Sorry, Benguin.

Anyway... it is kind of a "mass knowing" kind of question for Kumar... since there is lots of confusion over gravity (force? acceleration? mass? does F=ma or F=d(mv)/dt ?... what did Newton really mean in his 2nd law of motion?, what is the relation to mass, mole and Avogadro's number?).

To restate in a less confusing manner (I checked this http://www.physchem.co.za/Motion/Gravity.htm ) and found I did somewhat mistate it:

Kumar: what do 99% of the people think is the acceleration due to gravity?
I think you might be really challenging Kummy with this, I mean his english isn't great and his understanding of logic is even more challenged.

We didn't even adequately resolve the question of what is '1+1' of a million people say it is three question.

Which reminds me of a naff joke about mathemticians, statisticians, scientists and engineers. I'll spare you it unless you insist. It's incredibly naff, and I'm sure you've heard it.

100,000 medical doctors say go read this before quoting their articles. Probably.

Voltaire
"Atheism - the vice of a few intelligent people"
Benguin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2004, 03:16 PM   #123
Chris Haynes

Quote:
Originally posted by Benguin
..Which reminds me of a naff joke about mathemticians, statisticians, scientists and engineers. I'll spare you it unless you insist. It's incredibly naff, and I'm sure you've heard it.
Yes, I think I know what you mean... it seems to be the difference between "mass knowing" and actual use. Also his English seems to come and go, possibly depending on where he is in Kumar World.

...and I think I know the joke... it may be similar to the tire swing joke (as ordered, as envisioned, and as delivered).

(oh, great that reminds... I'm being asked when I am going back to work --- now I have to figure out how to remember everything and I will be taking some statistics course soon. Something I had to use at work, but only understood slightly as my brilliant ex-boss led me down the random vibration road, perhaps it is time I actually learned about it).

"HCN, I hate you!"
Chris Haynes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2004, 03:26 PM   #124
Benguin

The tire swing one is much better .. it comes with an easy to digest pictorial cartoon.

I've only just been dragged back to the office after a long medical absence. No-one seems to have noticed I've forgotten how to do my job, but then none of them knew what I did in the first place.

Keep sending the cheques (or checks).

100,000 medical doctors say go read this before quoting their articles. Probably.

Voltaire
Benguin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2004, 04:01 PM   #125
Zep
Banned

Gentlemen, you might care to keep in mind that Kumar is most likely a troll, as he has a much better understanding of English than he lets on...
Zep is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2004, 04:10 PM   #126
Zep
Banned

Quote:
Kumar:
I also respect this mentioning:-

"Therapies which have such undefined boundaries, that they may at any time accept new remedies, and may like wise retain or reject old remedies, cannot offer the security necessary in service of a patient, and in the interest of science. To create a therapy with sharply defined boundaries, has been for a long time, my endeavour"

...By Dr.William.H.Schuessler,1874
If you respect Schuessler's point of view on this, Kumar, then you are a bigger fool than I thought you were. If you believe this is a "good thing" then you will reject any and all medicine developed since the late 19th century. Such things as antibiotics, antiseptics, all the modern surgical procedures, everything that has made modern medicine the undoubted success it is. Schuessler says very clearly that "Therapies which...may at any time accept new remedies...cannot offer the security necessary in service of a patient". In other words, Kumar, Schuessler did not accept that there would be any new medical discoveries to be made that he would accept. He was clearly a fool. And you are a bigger one of you think he wasn't.
Zep is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2004, 10:49 PM   #127
Benguin

He still hasn't identified the quote I gave him (who else knows?)

And avoided saying what he thinks of it;
Quote:
[The physician's] mission is not (...) to construct so-called systems, by interweaving empty speculations and hypotheses concerning the internal essential nature of the vital processes and the mode in which diseases originate in the interior of the organism, (whereon so many physicians have hitherto ambitiously wasted their talents and their time); nor is it to attempt to give countless explanations regarding the phenomena in diseases and their proximate cause (which must ever remain concealed), wrapped in unintelligible words and an inflated abstract mode of expression, which should sound very learned in order to astonish the ignorant ....

Voltaire
Old 23rd July 2004, 12:07 AM   #128
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Zep, may be possible. I am bit uncomfortable with even twelve & wish if these could be just three representing stomach acid, bile & intestinal alkalinity by bicarbonate, Three body's basic constitutions as in "Ayurveda" Vatta, Pitta & kapha or carbo-nitrogenoid, Oxygenoid & Hydrogenoid, which probably may take care every of most of the required & possible conditions.

Btw, why pH is said as ' environment' & what does it mean & its implications?

Can Chemical Medicines+Potentised Remedies be the solution for many unclear disorder to cover both Matter & Energy.
Kumar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2004, 12:08 AM   #129
Prester John
Anti-homeopathy Illuminati member

Quote:
Originally posted by Zep
Gentlemen, you might care to keep in mind that Kumar is most likely a troll, as he has a much better understanding of English than he lets on...
Who enjoys making word pie. Interestingly he also has very simiar thread going at scififorums. I wouldn't be suprised if he to some extent is playing off the boards against each other.

I noticed a while back that his apparent bad english didn't stop him understanding what was written, lapsing into complex sentences, and having the ability to nit pick through the finer points of medical/woo woo websites.

Of course that he hasn't actually made any points doesn't seem to bother him, i think he just enjoys seeing us run round in circles, also thus why he doesn't answer any questions put to him.
"...at the heart of science is an essential balance between two seemingly contradictory attitudes -- an openness to new ideas, no matter how bizarre or counterintuitive, and the most ruthlessly skeptical scrutiny of all ideas, old and new. This is how deep truths are winnowed from deep nonsense." Carl Sagan

I am a Homeopath. Remedies available at reasonable prices.
Prester John is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2004, 12:10 AM   #130
Prester John

Quote:
Originally posted by Kumar
Zep, may be possible. I am bit uncomfortable with even twelve & wish if these could be just three representing stomach acid, bile & intestinal alkalinity by bicarbonate, Three body's basic constitutions as in "Ayurveda" Vatta, Pitta & kapha or carbo-nitrogenoid, Oxygenoid & Hydrogenoid, which probably may take care every of most of the required & possible conditions.

Btw, why pH is said as ' environment' & what does it mean & its implications?
Hmm, got a load of webpages ready for the reply Kumar? Mind you i don't think you'll get any answers beacuse first you have a question to answer....

How do you differentiate between fantasy and reality?
"...at the heart of science is an essential balance between two seemingly contradictory attitudes -- an openness to new ideas, no matter how bizarre or counterintuitive, and the most ruthlessly skeptical scrutiny of all ideas, old and new. This is how deep truths are winnowed from deep nonsense." Carl Sagan

Prester John is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2004, 01:03 AM   #131
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Originally posted by Prester John

How do you differentiate between fantasy and reality?
By reality & fantasy. By idiocy & inteligency. By this & that. By you & me. So many alike things, but I just want to save jref's capacity.

Zep,

Environment: The sum of the total of the elements, factors and conditions in the surroundings which may have an impact on the development, action or survival of an organism or group of organisms.

The environment is as opposed to genetics. We are the product of our genetic inheritance and our environment.

What will pH environment mean?

Can Chemical Medicines+Potentised Remedies be the solution for many unclear disorder to cover both Matter & Energy.
Kumar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2004, 01:14 AM   #132
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Originally posted by Prester John
Who enjoys making word pie. Interestingly he also has very simiar thread going at scififorums. I wouldn't be suprised if he to some extent is playing off the boards against each other.

I noticed a while back that his apparent bad english didn't stop him understanding what was written, lapsing into complex sentences, and having the ability to nit pick through the finer points of medical/woo woo websites.

Of course that he hasn't actually made any points doesn't seem to bother him, i think he just enjoys seeing us run round in circles, also thus why he doesn't answer any questions put to him.
Made to contradict & critisize, but for nothing else-- truely, materialisticly & differantly. WHY WE ARE/SHOULD BE HERE?????????

Old 23rd July 2004, 01:21 AM   #133
Prester John

Quote:
By reality & fantasy. By idiocy & inteligency. By this & that. By you & me. So many alike things, but I just want to save jref's capacity.

sigh, you really are having trouble with this one Kumar, try again. I think it is apparent that you don't really have a mechanism whereby you can evaluate different claims and distinguish between what is real and what is fantasy. Its just what fits in with your world view, and everything else is false. Well you are entitled to think like that, but we are also entitled to dismiss what you say as ill thought out, illogical and trolling.

Old 23rd July 2004, 01:27 AM   #134
Benguin

Maybe he is a solipsist in the true sense, and this question is therefore of little relevance to him?

Voltaire
Old 23rd July 2004, 09:48 AM   #135
Chris Haynes

Quote:
..., Three body's basic constitutions as in "Ayurveda" ....
Ah, something I can understand... Ayurveda, a cause of lead poisoning in some folks who use Ayurveda medication:
http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5326a3.htm

Yikes!

"HCN, I hate you!"
Old 23rd July 2004, 10:58 AM   #136
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Ah, something I can understand... Ayurveda, a cause of lead poisoning in some folks who use Ayurveda medication:
http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5326a3.htm

Yikes!
" Although approximately 95% of lead poisoning among U.S. adults results from occupational exposure "

Any wrongly prescribed or wrongly prepared healing physical substance can do that.

Old 23rd July 2004, 11:03 AM   #137
Chris Haynes

Ah HA!!!

Proof he does read some of the references given... and since he only answers questions with incomprehensible babblings.... and then asks the same questions over and over again with no regard to how the real world works or with any regard to the answers already given, this is definite proof:

Though I would remove the word "perhaps"

"HCN, I hate you!"
Old 23rd July 2004, 11:49 AM   #138
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

Quote:

Though I would remove the word "perhaps"
Kumar first joined this forum on 18th October last year. The first suggestion that he might be trolling was made by BillyJoe on 23rd October, and the first use of the above smilie with reference to Kumar was very shortly afterwards in the same thread (by yours truly).

Important question about diabetes.

Actually, looking back at the first few threads Kumar started in October is quite instructive, and I see the idea that all homoeopathic remedies might really be the all-powerful Tissue Remedy silicea by an accident of preparation implicit in about his fifth post.

I was later persuaded (partly by MRC_Hans) that Kumar was not a troll but was a very naive poster who genuinely wanted to learn. I spent quite some time trying to help him, as did a number of other people. I now think that perhaps the initial impressions were correct. From the start Kumar has never been open about what he thinks or believes, or what his purpose is in asking a particular question. As BillyJoe said, some people might call that trolling.

Quite.

Just - what on earth is there in it for anyone to behave so obtusely in post after post, never getting anywhere, just trying to be as annoying as possible?

Dunno.

Rolfe. (putting Kumar back on ignore now....)
Old 23rd July 2004, 12:38 PM   #139
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

My reason for defending Kumar from troll accusations was experience from homeopathy forums. I still believe that Kumar is not a deliberate troll. ..... But since the end-effect is the same, it doesn't matter.

So my new position on Kumar, based on much experience is: Don't bother. He/she/it is a complete waste of time.

Hans
Old 23rd July 2004, 12:57 PM   #140
Benguin

Quote:
Originally posted by MRC_Hans
My reason for defending Kumar from troll accusations was experience from homeopathy forums. I still believe that Kumar is not a deliberate troll. ..... But since the end-effect is the same, it doesn't matter.

So my new position on Kumar, based on much experience is: Don't bother. He/she/it is a complete waste of time.

Hans
Yes, he has determinedly refused to address this quote I offered him;

Quote:
[The physician's] mission is not (...) to construct so-called systems, by interweaving empty speculations and hypotheses concerning the internal essential nature of the vital processes and the mode in which diseases originate in the interior of the organism, (whereon so many physicians have hitherto ambitiously wasted their talents and their time); nor is it to attempt to give countless explanations regarding the phenomena in diseases and their proximate cause (which must ever remain concealed), wrapped in unintelligible words and an inflated abstract mode of expression, which should sound very learned in order to astonish the ignorant ....
As it is page 1 of Hanneman's Oragnon he is either being incredibly obtuse or is, in fact, not at all informed in his own claimed area of expertise.

I find it amusing that his own attempts to cast around bizarre speculations for how Homeopathy works is a practice Hanneman himself is so clearly unimpressed with.

Voltaire
Old 24th July 2004, 04:20 AM   #141
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Originally posted by Benguin
Yes, he has determinedly refused to address this quote I offered him;

As it is page 1 of Hanneman's Oragnon he is either being incredibly obtuse or is, in fact, not at all informed in his own claimed area of expertise.

I find it amusing that his own attempts to cast around bizarre speculations for how Homeopathy works is a practice Hanneman himself is so clearly unimpressed with.
Anyone can be wrong in some senses unless he is 'HE'. A human who contradicted this concept can't/should not advice similarily. However it is much seen in current systems--just follow. Why people just suggest/accept compounder's work. Healing is not a easy job to understand & follow completely & with full justification. Dr.Hahn. may mean that it may just a work of research people not of physians. Then why so many litretures to read???

Old 24th July 2004, 04:22 AM   #142
Rolfe

Who is "HE", Kumar? What is your usual name for "HIM"?

Rolfe.
Old 24th July 2004, 04:33 AM   #143
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

GOD or Creater, maintainer & destrutor of nature. Omni in nature. We may think some sense 'NATURE' also.

Old 24th July 2004, 04:41 AM   #144
Rolfe

As addressed at the beginning of this post here, am I right?
Quote:
" OM NAMAH SHIVAI "
I'm not being critical here, just trying to get to the facts.

Rolfe.
Old 24th July 2004, 05:14 AM   #145
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Originally posted by Rolfe
As addressed at the beginning of this post here, am I right?I'm not being critical here, just trying to get to the facts.

Rolfe.
That was just a prayer. We some 'ASEANS' just worship HIM.

Old 24th July 2004, 05:56 PM   #146
Benguin

Quote:
Anyone can be wrong in some senses unless he is 'HE'. A human who contradicted this concept can't/should not advice similarily. However it is much seen in current systems--just follow. Why people just suggest/accept compounder's work. Healing is not a easy job to understand & follow completely & with full justification. Dr.Hahn. may mean that it may just a work of research people not of physians. Then why so many litretures to read???
Whatever

How come for all your claimed expertise you did not recognise this kumartroll?

Voltaire
Old 4th July 2005, 07:25 AM   #147
Badly Shaved Monkey

Oops! I hit "Reply" in the wrong thread! Move on folks. Nothing to see here.
Badly Shaved Monkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology