ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 10th April 2013, 11:26 AM   #1
Piscivore
Smelling fishy

Alien insects bred with hominids? Heard of this?

In one of my classes, as a rebuttal to my endorsement of science as a potential route to social cohesion, the response was offered:

"Unfortunately, even science is clouded with muddy examples of junk science that professes things like the popular contemporary concept that alien insect creatures bred with ancient hominids to create human beings. "

I've never heard of this flavour of woo before. Has anyone else?

"...untrustworthy obnoxious twerp." - CFLarsen
Piscivore is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2013, 11:35 AM   #2
Stray Cat
Philosopher

So a rebuttal of science was an example of something not scientific?

As for your question: I've never heard of it and I guess it's not that much of a "popular contemporary concept" Sounds more like something that someone's just made up and is even more of a reason why science can and should be used as a potential route to social cohesion.
Old 10th April 2013, 01:04 PM   #3
Belgian thought
Muse

Originally Posted by Piscivore View Post
In one of my classes, as a rebuttal to my endorsement of science as a potential route to social cohesion, the response was offered:

"Unfortunately, even science is clouded with muddy examples of junk science that professes things like the popular contemporary concept that alien insect creatures bred with ancient hominids to create human beings. "

For an honest take on this I would ask David Icke - I am sure he would disagree... Not insects, don't you know!
Belgian thought is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2013, 01:06 PM   #4
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Yes, I've heard of it. It was the plot of a 60's sci-fi movie most everyone is familiar with.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062168/

Last edited by Mike!; 10th April 2013 at 01:11 PM. Reason: ing!
Mike! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2013, 01:07 PM   #5
ehcks
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Stray Cat View Post
So a rebuttal of science was an example of something not scientific?

As for your question: I've never heard of it and I guess it's not that much of a "popular contemporary concept" Sounds more like something that someone's just made up and is even more of a reason why science can and should be used as a potential route to social cohesion.
I would guess by "popular contemporary concept" they mean "popular scifi trope."
Old 10th April 2013, 01:19 PM   #6
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Originally Posted by ehcks View Post
I would guess by "popular contemporary concept" they mean "popular scifi trope."
I would guess they are in your class because someone forgot to lock the doors to the ward when they went home one night.

Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2013, 04:53 PM   #7
Maestro
Scholar

Honestly, I would seriously consider asking for a refund and looking for a different school.
Maestro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2013, 04:58 PM   #8
Piscivore
Smelling fishy

Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
Honestly, I would seriously consider asking for a refund and looking for a different school.
That was another student, not the professor. Although, I'm not impressed so far with the quality of the education I'm getting, and this is a state university.

Piscivore is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2013, 05:15 PM   #9
Maestro
Scholar

Ahhh. That sounds better. Not great, but better. If it was a Professor I would not only have asked for my money back, I would have lodged a complaint as well.

Can you video it when you tell the other student his beliefs are based on a horror film? I would love to see that.

ETA: What was the general reaction? I'm curious as to that.

Last edited by Maestro; 10th April 2013 at 05:17 PM.
Maestro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2013, 05:29 PM   #10
Piscivore
Smelling fishy

Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
Ahhh. That sounds better. Not great, but better. If it was a Professor I would not only have asked for my money back, I would have lodged a complaint as well.

Can you video it when you tell the other student his beliefs are based on a horror film? I would love to see that.

ETA: What was the general reaction? I'm curious as to that.
It is an online course, and so far, I'm the only one who has responded:

Originally Posted by me
Originally Posted by him
I liked your post [Piscivore]. The part about "intellectual integrity...and evidence is evidence..." reads good. Unfortunately, even science is clouded with muddy examples of junk science that professes things like the popular contemporary concept that alien insect creatures bred with ancient hominids to create human beings. Somewhat along that line, there is a large percentage of our society who are creationists, and of similar persuasions who insist the earth is only 6,000 years old, and who believe innumerable other fanciful myths. Many of these entities attempt to validate their beliefs with junk science. Unfortunately the ideologies these people embrace are judgmental and divisive. But...from a different standpoint,there's nothing like a good ole fashion holy war to bring folks together.
The difference is, of all the ways we have of coming up with the stories we do to explain ourselves and the world around us, science is the only one that has a method of self-correcting its errors and the only one that does not pretend to be the final, ultimate truth. For instance, the notion of insect creatures breeding with humans (which I'm afraid I'm not familiar with) requires evidence to be considered science; otherwise, it's just another belief. . . "junk", as you said.

Old 10th April 2013, 05:46 PM   #11
Maestro
Scholar

So he's dismissing valid science by referencing junk science. Interesting. I'll still trust in science despite that.
Old 10th April 2013, 06:16 PM   #12
Jim_MDP
Illuminator

Pisci... would you try to find out, if he didn't actually misspeak, where he heard of this or if it's a popular idea at some site? I think I'd be a bit disappointed if there were a "popular contemporary concept" that out there, that was unheard of here.

Plus... stundies!

Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2013, 06:20 PM   #13
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

When I hear the , 'science is unreliable' argument, I bring up the 'science is successful' rebuttal. It goes along with the 'science is self-correcting' correction to the misunderstanding of science problem.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 10th April 2013 at 06:22 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2013, 11:22 PM   #14
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

"even science is clouded with muddy examples of junk science"

Another word for "junk science" is pseudoscience. The existence of pseudoscience or junk science does not discredit real science any more than a terrible artist discredits Michelangelo or a terrible composer discredits Mozart or a terrible tennis player discredits the sport of tennis. There are cranks out there who fancy themselves scientists, but they hardly reflect on Einstein.
Old 12th April 2013, 11:32 AM   #15
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
Yes, I've heard of it. It was the plot of a 60's sci-fi movie most everyone is familiar with.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Really good movie, even if it very obviously swipes from HP Lovecraft a LOT.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2013, 11:12 AM   #16
catsmate1
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Really good movie, even if it very obviously swipes from HP Lovecraft a LOT.
And got swiped a lot by Doctor Who
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2013, 11:18 AM   #17
Spindrift
My little friend is back!

Junk Science is not Science like a female impersonator is not a female.

It make act and sound like it but the parts that count are totally different.
Old 15th April 2013, 01:39 PM   #18
Ixion
Inquiring Mind

It doesn't sound too far off from the plot of Prometheus either. Hollywood science at its finest.

Because the last time I was playing Friday night, we ended up with the Ixion Fiasco - Horatius
Ixion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2013, 09:10 AM   #19
blobru
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
Pisci... would you try to find out, if he didn't actually misspeak, where he heard of this or if it's a popular idea at some site? I think I'd be a bit disappointed if there were a "popular contemporary concept" that out there, that was unheard of here.

Plus... stundies!

Maybe something he heard as a kid, from one of his elders. An aunt, most likely.

"Never mind. I can't read." -- Hokulele to the Easter Bunny
blobru is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2013, 06:41 PM   #20
Pacal
Muse

I AGREE

The movie was also called Five Million Years to Earth.
Pacal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2013, 06:45 PM   #21
Loss Leader
Opinionated Jerk

It was also the origin story of the Wraith on "Stargate: Atlantis."

What is my Gladiator Profile?
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2013, 10:45 PM   #22
Jim_MDP
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
It was also the origin story of the Wraith on "Stargate: Atlantis."
Well... not the "breeding" part.

Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2013, 06:04 AM   #23
Loss Leader
Opinionated Jerk

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
Well... not the "breeding" part.

Yeah, I was never quite clear on the whole thing.

What is my Gladiator Profile?
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2013, 10:26 AM   #24
justintime
Banned

Humans are known to screw anything even a good thread. So why would alien(insects) be an exception?

According to Carl Sagan aliens do not have a good record of contacting humans and humans are just as bad producing evidence of their encounters with aliens. Premature hallucinations is often cited by Carl Sagan as the primary cause for such failed attempts at intimacy with aliens.

But those who persist in believing alien insects bred with humans and are looking for some Darwinian inspiration to chart the evolutionary tree to accommodate such considerations might find this link helpful.

The unsettling animation showing humans crossed with birds, frogs, dogs and spiders

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...s-spiders.html
justintime is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2013, 11:01 AM   #25
CynicalSkeptic
Graduate Poster

Sounds like this other student watches too much History channel.

But, I do see his point. Science is "clouded" by junk science among those who can't tell the two apart. Unfortunately that is a not-small percentage of the population.

Last edited by CynicalSkeptic; 18th April 2013 at 11:03 AM.
CynicalSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2013, 01:48 PM   #26
justintime
Banned

Originally Posted by CynicalSkeptic View Post
Sounds like this other student watches too much History channel.

But, I do see his point. Science is "clouded" by junk science among those who can't tell the two apart. Unfortunately that is a not-small percentage of the population.
But those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
The rise in perversion in modern societies are not caused by what people believe but by what skepticism promotes; unnatural acts, an unnatural way of thinking. Read Todd Carroll "Unnatural Acts: Critical Thinking, Skepticism and Science Exposed."
justintime is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2013, 07:45 PM   #27
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by Pacal View Post
That's actually how I knew it, but it seems most of the rest of the world know it by the other name. Go figure.
Old 19th April 2013, 09:19 PM   #28
AdMan
Philosopher

That's actually how I knew it, but it seems most of the rest of the world know it by the other name. Go figure.

I need to try to catch this again. I remember it scared me quite a bit when I saw it on TV as a child.
Old 20th April 2013, 04:44 AM   #29
Brainache
Nasty Brutish and Tall

Well, there is this:
http://www.news.com.au/technology/sc...-1226617200225
Quote:
DON'T be alarmed, but you have alien DNA in your genetic code. Science says so.

Scientists from Kazakhstan believe that human DNA was encoded with an extraterrestrial signal by an ancient alien civilisation, Discovery.com reports.

They call it "biological SETI" and the researchers claim that the mathematical code in human DNA cannot be explained by evolution.

In a nutshell, we're living, breathing vessels for some kind of alien message which is more easily used to detect extra terrestrial life than via radio transmission.

"Once fixed, the code might stay unchanged over cosmological timescales; in fact, it is the most durable construct known," the researchers wrote in scientific journal, Icarus. "Therefore it represents an exceptionally reliable storage for an intelligent signature.
From this thread in the Science forum: http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=256518

Invert the prominent diaphragm!!!

I have eaten breakfast and have not written an Epistle to any Church. - dejudge.
Brainache is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2013, 04:37 PM   #30
Delvo
Philosopher

Human interbreeding or genetic manipulation is a standard part of the stuff about "grays". Maybe this came from somebody who saw a picture of them and thought they looked insectical.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2013, 05:45 PM   #31
Elind

Originally Posted by Piscivore View Post

Bred? Is this supposed to mean as in sexual intercourse?

On a more basic level it is conceivable that DNA can be shared between different species via viruses or more direct methods, and this is done in labs all the time. The result can be called a chimera, but not likely a hominid with the head of a fly, as in that old movie.
Elind is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2013, 05:48 PM   #32
Elind

Originally Posted by Brainache View Post
Yes, and note that these pretend scientists at least were honest use the word "might", meaning that everything they said is a guess; probably designed to interest gullible people.
Elind is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2013, 05:50 PM   #33
Courier
Banned

Are they saying that Ripley did infact bring back the Alien from LV-426?
Courier is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2013, 07:27 AM   #34
Ellen Travis
Thinker

The Raelian cult/NRM claims that insect like aliens called the Elohim mated with humans a long time ago and will return to form an embassy on earth.

The Raelians are of interest to me because a significant number of their female members are involved in the sex industry and even have a website especially for their sex worker members and their friends - called "Rael's Girls" IMMIC.

They also run a highly dubious charity called Clitoraid that claims to build hospitals to restore the genitals of women who have suffered FGM, although these claims have been widely debunked and criticised and credible as their claims to have created human clones.

According to former members the head of the religion, Rael, presides over a large group of attractive young (some very young) female followers who have made a commitment to be exclusively sexually available to Rael and who are at his disposal at all times. Apparently this is to prepare them for the important task of welcoming the Elohim upon their return to earth.

long thread on a cult awareness website here
http://forum.rickross.com/read.php?12,41663,page=1
Ellen Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2013, 02:02 PM   #35
Stellafane
Village Idiot.

Originally Posted by Elind View Post
Bred? Is this supposed to mean as in sexual intercourse?
Aha! So that's what bedbugs have been up to all these years!
Old 27th April 2013, 11:18 AM   #36
blobru
Philosopher

Originally Posted by AdMan View Post
I need to try to catch this again. I remember it scared me quite a bit when I saw it on TV as a child.

Me too; just spotted it's showing today @ 4:45 PM (Eastern time) on TCM.

"Never mind. I can't read." -- Hokulele to the Easter Bunny

Last edited by blobru; 27th April 2013 at 11:34 AM. Reason: kinda short notice, i know :]
blobru is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal