ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags wifi

Old 15th April 2017, 08:21 AM   #41
phunk
Illuminator

Originally Posted by svenax View Post
No, whatever gave you that idea? Apparently the two batches of seeds were set on the window sill in different but similar class rooms with windows facing the same direction (south). In one of them three computers and two wifi transmitters were placed in proximity of the seeds. The computers were used to create constant wifi traffic between the routers.

The seeds were from 12 different batches, mixed together so they all should have the same growth potential. They were watered at the same time with identical amounts of water. The temperature in the two rooms was kept the same by an electronic regulator.

Seriously, folks. Read the report before condemning it. Sure, the controls could have been better, and there should have been blinding applied, but the experiment was not set up as badly as people here want to think.
Yes, the experiement was setup badly. This was done in classrooms, the opposite of a controlled environment. Any kid or teacher with a bias could have poisoned the plants in the wifi room. This is a learning experience for kids, but don't pretend it's a valid scientific study.
phunk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2017, 08:38 AM   #42
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

There is little point to responding to svenax after so many years Nonetheless, the experiment was poorly set up for many reasons, if only that it was not double blind, let alone the many differences that were likely to be associated with the separate rooms, etc. In fact there is no way to know how much WiFi signal was in the "control" room compared to the experimental, let alone the possibility that waterings, etc. were different.

Sure- if anyone thinks that WiFi frequencies might affect plants- do a legitimate experiment. A poorly done experiment is worse than none at all, because it will convince people of a conclusion that can easily be wrong.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2017, 04:26 PM   #43
mgidm86
Illuminator

I start and grow plants in my computer room all the time. 2 computers, 2 monitors, wireless router. They are 4 feet away from it all right now.

I have also done the same in other rooms in my house with no computers or wi-fi.

I have been doing this for a long time and I get consistent results either way. Just my experience. I like the router/heat mat idea haha.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 07:30 AM   #44
cosmicaug
Muse

Originally Posted by phunk View Post
Yes, the experiement was setup badly. This was done in classrooms, the opposite of a controlled environment. Any kid or teacher with a bias could have poisoned the plants in the wifi room. This is a learning experience for kids, but don't pretend it's a valid scientific study.
Apparently room temperature was controlled but, for purposes of sprouting, local temperature is everything and small differences in temperature will make a huge difference. Both sets of seeds were next to radiators. The window sills are clearly made of different materials. The computers on the treatment group are close enough to the plants to disrupt air flow patterns. All of this adds up to likely differences in temperature between the two groups.

No need for anyone to poison anything. In any case, that's not what the data shows: it shows large enough, statistically significant differences but not huge differences (the photographs accompanying these memes and retellings of this experiment are often misleading and do not reflect the numbers shown —ie, the no sprouts condition in the treatment group never happened).
Old 19th April 2017, 08:11 AM   #45
phunk
Illuminator

Originally Posted by cosmicaug View Post
Apparently room temperature was controlled but, for purposes of sprouting, local temperature is everything and small differences in temperature will make a huge difference. Both sets of seeds were next to radiators. The window sills are clearly made of different materials. The computers on the treatment group are close enough to the plants to disrupt air flow patterns. All of this adds up to likely differences in temperature between the two groups.

No need for anyone to poison anything. In any case, that's not what the data shows: it shows large enough, statistically significant differences but not huge differences (the photographs accompanying these memes and retellings of this experiment are often misleading and do not reflect the numbers shown —ie, the no sprouts condition in the treatment group never happened).
I'm not saying there's a need for anyone to poison anything. I'm just saying that this is not a controlled environment so anything's possible and the results are worthless.
phunk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology