ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 26th July 2013, 01:26 PM   #1
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Ther Are (GASP) Chemicals In Your Toothpaste

I just came across this in Snopes.
Quote:
Pay attention when buying toothpaste, at the bottom of the toothpaste tube there is a color bar. And do you only know the original meaning of the color bar! Try to choose green and blue, there are four kinds:

Green: natural;
Blue : Natural + Medicine;
Red : Natural + Chemical composition;
Black : pure chemical.

please share to all......
Did you all get that? If you want the toothpaste without chemicals in it you need to look for the green squares. Also a wizard. I'm pretty sure you need a wizard as well. Actually it might just be pure magic. Just skip buying the toothpaste and go straight to the wizard.

Please share that to all.
Old 26th July 2013, 01:49 PM   #2
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Just skip buying the toothpaste and go straight to the wizard.
I don't think I've ever seen black toothpaste. Where do you even get that?

But speaking of wizards, and the role that they play in our lives...

(I defend this as being on topic since Gabe clearly knows as much about reproduction as your source knows about toothpaste).
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2013, 03:06 PM   #3
Travis

That was amusing. I love Penny Arcade.
Old 26th July 2013, 08:43 PM   #4
Soapy Sam
NLH

There may be diatoms in there too.
I think they may be nuclear.
Or unclear.
It's just a matter of letter position, really.
Soapy Sam is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2013, 08:58 PM   #5
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

ex diatoms (just the teeny, tiny glass shells perhaps). Also good for killing insects (wear good face protection so you do not breathe it in): get a bag of swimming pool filter diatomaceous earth and throw/spread it around on the plants around your house. As the insects breathe they suck it into their spiracles and cut up their breathing apparatus. And die!!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2013, 09:00 PM   #6
Soapy Sam
NLH

I never knew that!
Soapy Sam is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2013, 09:14 PM   #7
Travis

No I will not only kill the insects I'll eviscerate them from the inside out!

BWWAHHHAAAAAA!
Old 26th July 2013, 09:29 PM   #8
rdaneel
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
I just came across this in Snopes.
Did you all get that? If you want the toothpaste without chemicals in it you need to look for the green squares. Also a wizard. I'm pretty sure you need a wizard as well. Actually it might just be pure magic. Just skip buying the toothpaste and go straight to the wizard.

Please share that to all.
Well, I'm shocked! I was under the impression the color codes told you whose mind control you where under. You know, Evil Government agencies, Evil Alien Overlords, Evil Dentists, Etc, Etc...

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science!" - Agatha Heterodyne

rdaneel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2013, 02:47 AM   #9
catsmate1
Penultimate Amazing

Including.........aqua...........
catsmate1 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2013, 04:50 AM   #10
casebro
Philosopher

I hope I'm not the only skeptic here to check the Snopes and read that the rumor is bogus? The squares are product ID, for manufacturing purposes. For things like slipping the tube into the packing correctly.

Though I thought maybe they had something to do with country or plant of origin.

Some have called me cynical, but I don't believe them.

It's not how many breaths you take. It's how many times you have been breathless that counts.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2013, 05:29 AM   #11
TubbaBlubba
Knave of the Dudes

Everyone knows that natural toothpaste is made from the fluffy stuff that rainbows are made out of.
Old 27th July 2013, 05:49 AM   #12
malicus
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by TubbaBlubba View Post
Everyone knows that natural toothpaste is made from the fluffy stuff that rainbows are made out of.
*nods wisely* puppies.
malicus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2013, 01:53 PM   #13
Olowkow
Philosopher

My dentist's advice, subject to argument:

I had several misconceptions about toothpaste. My dentist is really down on the abrasive ones like Crest. According to him it is a dangerous advertising gimmick. They contain silica and are sold as containing "brighteners or whiteners". They can wear away the enamel and let cavities begin. He convinced me. I get the cheap Colgate now. The fluoride rinse is better than just fluoride in the tooth paste. Both are even better, according to him.

I had thought that for tooth brushes, the stiffer the better. Not so. The softest bristles are best. It is possible to brush grooves in the enamel with stiff ones.

A filmy dental plaque of bacteria forms naturally on the teeth and thrives on sugars. It is easily removed just by light brushing, no tooth paste is even necessary. But left to harden into calculus or tartar it has to be removed with dental picks or rotary tools by a dentist. No amount of abrasives in toothpaste using a tooth brush will remove tartar.

ETA: The obvious question I had was, "Why not kill the bacteria that cause plaque?" No one has come up with anything that will selectively kill the bad ones, and not the good ones.

Last edited by Olowkow; 28th July 2013 at 01:56 PM.
Olowkow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2013, 02:40 PM   #14
Travis

Originally Posted by Olowkow View Post

ETA: The obvious question I had was, "Why not kill the bacteria that cause plaque?" No one has come up with anything that will selectively kill the bad ones, and not the good ones.
There's a future Nobel Prize.
Old 28th July 2013, 03:37 PM   #15
rdaneel
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Olowkow View Post
I read an article a while back that there has been research going on where they try to alter the bacteria that lives in teeth so that they don't excrete the chemicals that harm them. They would destroy and replace any unaltered bacteria.
So work is being done, they just haven't succeeded yet.

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science!" - Agatha Heterodyne

rdaneel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology