ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 4th August 2013, 01:10 PM   #1
FramerDave
Muse

Is FEMA stockpiling? What do they know that we don't?

http://intellihub.com/2013/08/03/war...acted-by-fema/

Short version: A friend who owns a survival food company was contacted by FEMA with a request to supply info on how much food they could deliver to FEMA in a short amount of time.

Sorry, I'm not buying the hype. First, friend of a friend (FOAF) accounts don't hold much water. Second, FEMA is supposed to be in the business of being prepared for big emergencies. This is exactly the sort of information they would need to know. Notice that despite the spin the owner of the company puts on it, FEMA did not actually place an order or indicate that they would do so.

Finally, this supposed email would be a great way to whip paranoid survivalist customers in to a frenzy of buying. Pretty cheap advertising.

"If you want to see what baby oil does to lactating breasts pm me your email." mayday
FramerDave is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2013, 01:19 PM   #2
Ray Brady
Graduate Poster

This could be a brilliant marketing ploy.

Is Obama coming to take away our Windows Surface tablets?
Is Congress going to outlaw Double-Stuft Oreos?
Has FEMA put in an order for 8 billion Lunchables?

Hey, I'm just asking questions!
Ray Brady is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2013, 04:04 PM   #3
kid meatball
Critical Thinker

Sounds like a guy who really has no business sense. A huge buyer of survival supplies asks you about your throughput and you run screaming like chicken little? It's like that scene from the simpsons when Frink tries to give Bart a hover bike and Bart refuses. Someone ought to tell that guy to take the FEMA Hover Bike when the chance is presented.
kid meatball is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2013, 05:11 PM   #4
Robrob
Philosopher

Wow, terribly suspicious! The national agency tasked with providing relief in case of disaster asks a guy for a price quote! OMG, run for the hills!

It's gotten to the point where the name "FEMA" has become a wingnut boogieman, without meaning or context.
Robrob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2013, 06:19 AM   #5
Fishstick
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Ray Brady View Post
This could be a brilliant marketing ploy.

Is Congress going to outlaw Double-Stuft Oreos?
Has FEMA put in an order for 8 billion Lunchables?

Hey, I'm just asking questions!
Foxnews/AMRadio/RadioTalkshows.txt
Fishstick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2013, 01:52 PM   #6
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Robrob View Post
Wow, terribly suspicious! The national agency tasked with providing relief in case of disaster asks a guy for a price quote! OMG, run for the hills!

It's gotten to the point where the name "FEMA" has become a wingnut boogieman, without meaning or context.
I love how the linked article makes the link from "FEMA asks for a quote on survival food" to "OMG! FEMA's trying to create a run on survival food and nobody but FEMA is going to have any!".

Of course, considering the run on guns and ammunition created by all the "Obama's gonna take away our guns!", it's not completely beyond the realm of plausibility that this sort of scare-mongering might lead to short supplies, but I highly doubt that this is FEMA's intent.

Seriously, if there's a hurricane, big earthquake or some such, is it so hard to believe that FEMA may need to feed a lot of people, and that they might want to prepare by making inquiries to prospective suppliers?
CORed is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2013, 02:18 PM   #7
Biscuit
Philosopher

Why would FEMA identify themselves if this was a nefarious operation? They could pretend to be the Boy Scouts or a mega church looking to place an order.
Old 5th August 2013, 03:13 PM   #8
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
Why would FEMA identify themselves if this was a nefarious operation? They could pretend to be the Boy Scouts or a mega church looking to place an order.

Well, come on now! FEMA may be a massively Evil, Bureaucratic Juggernaut committed to causing mass genocide against the American people, but they're not liars!
Old 6th August 2013, 12:31 AM   #9
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Originally Posted by Robrob View Post
Too true!
Old 6th August 2013, 07:54 AM   #10
Elizabeth I
Philosopher

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
Seriously, if there's a hurricane, big earthquake or some such, is it so hard to believe that FEMA may need to feed a lot of people, and that they might want to prepare by making inquiries to prospective suppliers?
Yes, yes, it is. You see, FEMA is just a cover for what They are planning to do to Us. Nothing They say is ever what They really mean, but 50 or 60 or twelvty-trillion other things, depending on how many CTs find out about it. And while we're at it, could we have a little appreciation for those brave, proud few who have dedicated their lives to sitting in basements all over the country tracking what They are doing so the rest of Us don't have to?

(I wonder where Texas CTers sit, since outside of tornado country not many houses have basements, and very few even there?)
Elizabeth I is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2013, 11:21 AM   #11
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, this one is just a no-brainer for me. FEMA's job includes providing emergency disaster relief on short notice. Do you wait to go to the drugstore for Band-Aids until you actually have a cut? Or do you "stockpile" them in advance? Hmmm.

This sounds like one of those theories that presumes whatever the government does is evil, and it can't possibly be really trying to fulfill its designated mission.
JayUtah is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2013, 11:29 AM   #12
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
Yeah, this one is just a no-brainer for me. FEMA's job includes providing emergency disaster relief on short notice. Do you wait to go to the drugstore for Band-Aids until you actually have a cut? Or do you "stockpile" them in advance? Hmmm.

They'd also want to have some sort of records of what various companies in various locations around the nation can deliver, and on what sort of time table. If this guy could, say, deliver 10 000 MREs on 12 hours notice, they could set up some sort of pre-arranged purchase agreement, so if FEMA needs a lot of meals on short notice (as you'd expect them to, if there was a large evacuation due to a natural disaster, or some such thing), they could just call up Joe's Camping and Zombie Survival Shop, and know that the MREs would arrive.
Old 6th August 2013, 01:41 PM   #13
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Agreed.They are just looking for companies that could supply Meals Revolting to Everybody in large numbers on short notice.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2013, 02:21 PM   #14
Garrison
Illuminator

So faced with the prospect of a government agency looking to find out if they could purchase large quantities of goods from him at short notice this guys reaction was to tell them to drop dead? Unless it is just a scare tactic to get the gullible to buy his crap.
Old 6th August 2013, 06:13 PM   #15
Border Reiver
Philosopher

I vote "scare tactic."

No businessperson able to keep their business afloat more than a month or two refuses to sell large quantities of product to a buyer whose cheque absolutely will not bounce.
Old 6th August 2013, 06:20 PM   #16
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

Originally Posted by Ray Brady View Post

Is he bringing back XP? Because Windows 8 suuuuuucks.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2013, 07:40 PM   #17
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Border Reiver View Post
I vote "scare tactic."

No businessperson able to keep their business afloat more than a month or two refuses to sell large quantities of product to a buyer whose cheque absolutely will not bounce.

The problem with this is, I've seen too many business people make just such boneheaded decisions*. He just might be actually that stupid.

*Two examples:

1) My parents were traveling down east, and wanted to buy a couple of coffee mugs as souvenirs from one place. They were told that the place no longer sold mugs as souvenirs because they were so popular, they couldn't keep them in stock - they sold out too fast.

2) At a big and tall store near me, I bought a sweater type thing the first week of November. After a few days, I decided I liked it enough that I wanted to buy another. I went back, and was told that this type was sold out - Not just locally, but across Canada. When I asked when they'd be getting more, they told me they wouldn't get anymore, as they'd received their entire shipment of winter clothes, and that was it until the spring line came in. Remember this was the first week of November, so there were at least 3 more months of sub-freezing weather expected ahead, and in all that time, they couldn't manage to re-order this one item that had sold out, across the country, in a week. They thought I was being ridiculous in even suggesting that they try.
Old 6th August 2013, 08:34 PM   #18
Dog Town
Banned

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
Is he bringing back XP? Because Windows 8 suuuuuucks.
Thank Dog, NO!

7 works great, for me!

Xp is garanimals!
Dog Town is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2013, 05:10 AM   #19
Border Reiver
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
The problem with this is, I've seen too many business people make just such boneheaded decisions*. He just might be actually that stupid.

The other part that makes me think its all marketing, is the line on his website that says that, due to recent upsurges in demand, there is now a two week delay in processing orders for the food.
Old 7th August 2013, 06:48 AM   #20
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

*Two examples:

1) My parents were traveling down east, and wanted to buy a couple of coffee mugs as souvenirs from one place. They were told that the place no longer sold mugs as souvenirs because they were so popular, they couldn't keep them in stock - they sold out too fast.
That is just stupid.

Quote:
2) At a big and tall store near me, I bought a sweater type thing the first week of November. After a few days, I decided I liked it enough that I wanted to buy another. I went back, and was told that this type was sold out - Not just locally, but across Canada. When I asked when they'd be getting more, they told me they wouldn't get anymore, as they'd received their entire shipment of winter clothes, and that was it until the spring line came in. Remember this was the first week of November, so there were at least 3 more months of sub-freezing weather expected ahead, and in all that time, they couldn't manage to re-order this one item that had sold out, across the country, in a week. They thought I was being ridiculous in even suggesting that they try.
That may be more the nature of clothes ordering and a bad decision. Clothes are not ordered like taco mix - they have to make plans way in advance and often have to deal with manufacturer policies that can get them totally messed up. The guy who used to have a clothing store across from me had this issue all the time.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2013, 10:16 AM   #21
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Agreed.They are just looking for companies that could supply Meals Revolting to Everybody in large numbers on short notice.
I thought they were Meals Rejected by Ethiopians.
CORed is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2013, 10:21 AM   #22
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
That is just stupid.

That may be more the nature of clothes ordering and a bad decision. Clothes are not ordered like taco mix - they have to make plans way in advance and often have to deal with manufacturer policies that can get them totally messed up. The guy who used to have a clothing store across from me had this issue all the time.
Yes, I've always noticed that if I need to buy winter clothing in February, or summer clothing in August, I'm SOL. This is true whether I go to a Mom 'n Pop, or a big retailer like Walmart or Target. This is true even in Denver, where "winter" clothing may be needed well into April or even May.
Old 7th August 2013, 01:37 PM   #23
Jrrarglblarg

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
That is just stupid.

Much of the product on America's shelves comes from overseas in large containers. This does not lend itself to nimble, market-responsive merchandizing, but quite the opposite.
Jrrarglblarg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2013, 02:35 PM   #24
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

dp.

Last edited by dudalb; 7th August 2013 at 02:38 PM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2013, 02:37 PM   #25
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

That was another popular term when I was in the US Army. Almost used it here, but a lot of people would not have "gotten" the joke,since the Ethiopian Famine is more then 25 years in the past.
Old 7th August 2013, 03:20 PM   #26
jaydeehess
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
That was another popular term when I was in the US Army. Almost used it here, but a lot of people would not have "gotten" the joke,since the Ethiopian Famine is more then 25 years in the past.
Yeah, that's right, around the time of my tenth year of work after college..
jaydeehess is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2013, 03:34 PM   #27
Elizabeth I
Philosopher

My parents were traveling down east, and wanted to buy a couple of coffee mugs as souvenirs from one place. They were told that the place no longer sold mugs as souvenirs because they were so popular, they couldn't keep them in stock - they sold out too fast.
Almost exactly the same thing happened to my mom - a local company here in San Antonio made a style of sandal that was super-comfortable for her, always a necessity because she had a lot of problems with her feet. She once asked me to go to one of their outlet stores and get her another pair in a different color. They told me, "Oh, we don't make those anymore. They sold too well."
Elizabeth I is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2013, 10:03 PM   #28
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Why wouldn't FEMA stockpile?
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2013, 03:33 AM   #29
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Why wouldn't FEMA stockpile?

Because Evil.
Old 8th August 2013, 04:32 AM   #30
Dcdrac
Philosopher

I would hope that an emergency operation like FEMA would be stockpiling goods and materials, it would be odd if they were not.
Dcdrac is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2013, 06:05 AM   #31
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by Dcdrac View Post
I would hope that an emergency operation like FEMA would be stockpiling goods and materials, it would be odd if they were not.
This is so much like the Homeland Security bullets thing. CTer takes a first impression of sinister overtones and somehow it becomes a fact to them, reasonable explanation notwithstanding.
Old 8th August 2013, 02:33 PM   #32
Jrrarglblarg

Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
This is so much like the Homeland Security bullets thing. CTer takes a first impression of sinister overtones and somehow it becomes a fact to them, reasonable explanation notwithstanding.
And like with the bullets, FEMA isn't actually buying the meals and stockpiling them but gathering data and making lists of where they can get various resources around the nation in large quantity at short notice. I'd bet the pavilion tent companies have all received similar queries, for instance. But never mind the details, CT full speed ahead!
Jrrarglblarg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2013, 02:53 PM   #33
autumn1971
Master Poster

Originally Posted by ApolloGnomon View Post
And like with the bullets, FEMA isn't actually buying the meals and stockpiling them but gathering data and making lists of where they can get various resources around the nation in large quantity at short notice. I'd bet the pavilion tent companies have all received similar queries, for instance. But never mind the details, CT full speed ahead!
Pavillion Tent Death Camps!!!
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2013, 03:00 PM   #34
Bell
Penultimate Amazing

FEMA wants to save all of the Americans, after they try to kill them?
Bell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2013, 07:44 PM   #35
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
I wouldn't be too sure that FEMA do actually stockpile. I think they would have a fair amount of stock, but not enough to cope with a national disaster immediately.

That's why they send out feelers to suppliers so that they can order stock to arrive quickly when needed.

Otherwise they would be wasting a lot of money on stock that would go bad.

I don't think this supplier did FEMA any harm by "refusing" their "offer". It wasn't even an offer to purchase. Just an enquiry.

This supplier is just a tinpot Don Quixote who won an imaginary battle.
Old 8th August 2013, 07:49 PM   #36
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Bell View Post
FEMA wants to save all of the Americans, after they try to kill them?

No, they want to save all of the Americans, after they actually kill them. That's what the coffins are for.
Old 8th August 2013, 08:09 PM   #37
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Politics of fear seems to be the order of the day lately - Obama is coming for your guns, the gun owners want to kill all the young black males, the gays want to corrupt the kids, racists are under every bed (sheet)

Tom Lehrer was ahead of his time:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2013, 08:13 PM   #38
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Meals, Ready to Eat

Three lies for the price of one
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2013, 08:51 PM   #39
ozeco41
Philosopher

....*Two examples:

1) My parents were traveling down east, and wanted to buy a couple of coffee mugs as souvenirs from one place. They were told that the place no longer sold mugs as souvenirs because they were so popular, they couldn't keep them in stock - they sold out too fast.....
I recall a classic political example of the same sort of arse about logic.

Sydney many years ago had a "tow away" system for dealing with car parking offenders who blocked our narrow streets. Ran well for many years.

It was stopped as a political ploy.

The reason "We aren't getting enough revenue from parking offence fines to pay for the service".

Think about it......
ozeco41 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2013, 09:14 PM   #40
ozeco41
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Orphia Nay View Post
I wouldn't be too sure that FEMA do actually stockpile. I think they would have a fair amount of stock, but not enough to cope with a national disaster immediately.....
In AU it is the "Welfare" arm of the State Disaster Plans (DISPLANs) which roll up into the National DISPLAN.

In NSW the Salvation Army, St Vincent DePaul and Red Cross have formally accepted roles in charge of Accommodation, Clothing, Feeding facets of the NSW DISPLAN. (IIRC - Details vague now but I was on the State level management committees for Engineering and Environment around late 1980s up till 1994. Then local level 1994 till 2001.) Victorian and other state arrangements are very similar. I doubt that the US arrangements are any different to ours. You don't hold large quantities of perishable foodstuffs on the public purse "just in case". Even large scale disasters are manageable when the burden is spread across the whole country's ability to provide resources. The challenge usually is logistic - getting enough concentrated in the disaster area quick enough to meet the sudden peak demand. Translate that principle across any relevant factor for the specific disaster.

The same enquiries would be going out to every aspect of resource support for disaster preparation and recovery. How many trucks or buses. Relocation arrangements for evacuees from explosion risk fires, displaced victims of flood etc etc.

In this "land of drought and flooding rains" we recently had major floods one end of the country and coincident major fires the other end.

I suppose "on average" we were OK?

ozeco41 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories