ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 10th October 2013, 06:52 PM   #1
Graham2001
Graduate Poster

This game may mark the turning of the tide on Ghost Hunting Reality TV

Just in time for Halloween, someone has bought out a game that parodyis(sic) "Ghost Hunters", to quote:

Quote:
The investigators must then use a mixture of belief, investigation techniques, and a bit of ego to completely misinterpret the event as evidence of the paranormal.

If the investigators are successful at giving a paranormal explanation to an everyday event; they get closer to having enough evidence to close the case and validate the claim at the end of the episode.
http://www.rpgnow.com/product/120238...?src=FrontPage

I'm not advocating the purchase of this game ("Dude, Run!"), but I'd say this could be the turning of the tide against TV Paranomal Investigators.

Everybody gets it wrong sometimes...
Graham2001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2013, 07:03 PM   #2
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Well, I'd advocate at least some purchases of the game to encourage whomever made it to expand on it or do other games. It's nice to see something like this.

And, no, I don't care about the gameplay. I don't do RPG games and have no idea as to what makes one good or bad.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2013, 05:02 AM   #3
idoubtit
Critical Thinker

Talking

Is there some video montage of Ghost Hunters quotes:

Did you hear that?
What was that?
Did you hear that?
Whoa.
What was that?
Did you hear that?
What was that?
What the hell?
Did you hear that?
What was that?
Whoa.
What the hell?

That would be amusing. Somehow I think it's been done but I don't feel like looking for it.
idoubtit is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2013, 05:04 AM   #4
tuxcat
Muse

And don't forget - you need to use IR thermometers that measure the temperature of solids (and not gases), misuse "energy" a system's ability to perform work and get an idiot-motor board out.
tuxcat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2013, 06:33 AM   #5
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by tuxcat View Post
And don't forget - you need to use IR thermometers that measure the temperature of solids (and not gases), misuse "energy" a system's ability to perform work and get an idiot-motor board out.
An EMF meters that are sensitive enough to pick up house wiring and stray radio signals.

Bonus points if you have walkie-talkies, as well.
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2013, 07:04 AM   #6
Senex
Philosopher

Originally Posted by idoubtit View Post
Is there some video montage of Ghost Hunters quotes:

Did you hear that?
What was that?
Did you hear that?
Whoa.
What was that?
Did you hear that?
What was that?
What the hell?
Did you hear that?
What was that?
Whoa.
What the hell?

That would be amusing. Somehow I think it's been done but I don't feel like looking for it.
Not exactly what you were looking for but close. Warning: some spooky and disturbing stuff.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Senex is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2013, 07:06 AM   #7
tuxcat
Muse

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
An EMF meters that are sensitive enough to pick up house wiring and stray radio signals.

Bonus points if you have walkie-talkies, as well.
Forgot to add claiming that insects caught in the camera's way are the orbs of dead ghostie-wosties.
tuxcat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2013, 07:22 AM   #8
Max_mang
Critical Thinker

South Park nailed those guys in a very funny bit a few years ago.

ETA - Senex found it!

Last edited by Max_mang; 11th October 2013 at 07:24 AM.
Max_mang is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2013, 07:31 AM   #9
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by Max_mang View Post
South Park nailed those guys in a very funny bit a few years ago.

ETA - Senex found it!
The SNL spoof with Hugh Laurie and the fart was another good one. Vid not available to link to...
Old 12th October 2013, 05:26 PM   #10
Graham2001
Graduate Poster

Ok, I've purchased and after a quick skim, the author definitely lays on a heavy dose of sarcasm, part of the game mechanics is that at the end of each play session (Called an episode) one 'investigator' ends up as 'lead' and get to 'log' the case, the benefits of this are:

Quote:
Investigators with large case Logs might get a spin off series, or get paid to show up at conventions and expos.

They may even (wrongly) assume that they are TV Stars. Next stop, the Emmys!
He also knows his terminology as the almighty "blobsquatch" makes an appearence at one point...

Everybody gets it wrong sometimes...
Graham2001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2013, 01:46 AM   #11
Night Walker
Thinker

I also bought a copy ($5 is a bargain):

The game moderator (who is called “the Skeptic”) will trigger rather mundane events that the investigators encounter, such as:

• wind howling past the window
• a family of raccoons in the attic
• dogs barking in the distance
• a passing car casting moving shadows
• a tree branch falling in the woods

The investigators must then use a mixture of belief, investigation techniques, and a bit of ego to completely misinterpret the event as evidence of the paranormal... Just make sure to use a bit of caution while investigating. If you try too hard you will wind up buying into your own misinterpretations and a creaky floorboard could have you running for the hills.

Sarcastic or realistic?

This game would be a hoot if played on location and was slightly modified for live-action roleplaying. It’d be like being in your own Blair Witch Project or episode of Finding Bigfoot. Would love to try it out and see if new local legends could be created and\or if genuine paranormal “experiences” could be triggered under favourable conditions purely via human-imagination and make-believe. . .
Night Walker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal