ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags antivax , Dr Julian Whitaker , stem cell therapy

Old 30th December 2013, 01:39 PM   #1
Morchella
Thinker

What to do About Dr Julian Whitaker

I recently received an email from an old friend who has had MS for the last 30 years. She was enthusiastic about a new clinic in Newport Beach Ca. It turns out it is run by Dr Julian Whitaker who claims he can harvest pluripotent stem cells from fat tissue and use them to treat MS. You may remember he debated Michael Shermer a few years ago near TAM, http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/...t-freedomfest/

There is some evidence that pluripotent cells can be harvested from fat, http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...from-fat-cells
There seems to be some research on rodents but so far I can't find any clinical trials addressing stem cells and MS.
Whitaker's clinic only has one other doctor who is a plastic surgeon listed. It would seem that he would need a much larger staff and lab to extract stem cells. Has anyone else heard of this clinic? What should I tell my friend?
Old 30th December 2013, 01:41 PM   #2
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Originally Posted by Morchella View Post
........What should I tell my friend?
To ask for the papers in support of this claim, and to seek a second opinion.
MikeG is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2013, 04:12 PM   #3
catsmate
No longer the 1

RW.
Quote:
Julian Whitaker is an alternative medicine practitioner who operates the "Whitaker Wellness Institute" in California. While he does have an MD from Emory, and did some post doc work, he never took the time to complete his residency.
Quote:
Whitaker promotes chelation therapy, is a vaccine denialist, and practices "anti-aging medicine". Note that "anti-aging medicine" is a specialty not recognized by the American Board of Medical Specialties. Whitaker recommends using human growth hormone to slow down aging. He is also a mental illness denier, putting him in the same league as Scientology. Apparently, vitamins can cure mental illness. Whitaker is a huge promoter of vitamins curing everything. He also believes he can cure asthma in 4 days, as well as thinking he can make you almost immune to cancer. His newsletter, which is full of such tripe such as claiming he can cure arthritis in three days, is on Quackwatch's list of non-recommended publications.
Also
Originally Posted by American Council on Science and Health
Whitaker has declared that the human body is a perfect self-healing machine, that illness is not natural, and that bacteria do not develop a resistance to "God's antibiotics." He recommends "treatments organ-ized medicine doesn't want you to know about," "miracles of healing censored by the medical establishment," and "cures that greedy drug companies and FDA bureaucrats don't want you to have." He claims that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is secretly working to outlaw "nutritional healing." According to him, consumers need protection not only from that agency, but also from the American Dietetic Association, HMOs, insurance companies, The National Council Against Health Fraud (NCAHF), the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), and the medicopharmaceutical establishment.
He's a quack peddling crap for money.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.

Last edited by catsmate; 30th December 2013 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Fixed quotes.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2013, 10:18 AM   #4
Morchella
Thinker

Dr Whitaker injected my friends spinal cord with what he says are stem cells. Are you allowed to do this on humans without clinical trials? She claims that after only two weeks her MS is showing signs of fading. She's a true believer in this stuff. What gets me is that she is desperate for any kind of improvement which makes her the perfect target for ghouls like Whitaker. If he really is able to extract stem cells which I doubt then his injecting his patients without proper trials invokes a new mengelian low.
Old 31st December 2013, 03:08 PM   #5
Pyrts
Critical Thinker

Dr Whitaker injected my friends spinal cord with what he says are stem cells. Are you allowed to do this on humans without clinical trials? She claims that after only two weeks her MS is showing signs of fading. She's a true believer in this stuff. What gets me is that she is desperate for any kind of improvement which makes her the perfect target for ghouls like Whitaker. If he really is able to extract stem cells which I doubt then his injecting his patients without proper trials invokes a new mengelian low.
If he's an MD and if the patient agrees, he can inject the spinal cord area with something.

Your friend may be desperately looking for signs of improvement... we know that MS goes through "phases." As to whether it works, there isn't any current research on this. Supposedly there is a clinical trial in the works: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/264892.php
Pyrts is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2013, 03:35 PM   #6
Estellea
Graduate Poster

Your friend is putting her health and possibly her life into the hands of a crank who is not qualified to do what he is doing. Chances are he isn't injecting stem cells at all but rather pharmaceuticals like steroids which is a trick of the crank trade. Unfortunately even if she realises she is being duped, she will feel too foolish to report the quack.

Este
Old 31st December 2013, 03:36 PM   #7
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

A bit late but one thing you should do is get the patient to write down what they can and cannot do because of MS. Then compare that with what the patient can and cannot do in a few weeks. That may give a different result to what the patient and the doctor says is happening.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2014, 06:38 AM   #8
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Quote:
organ-ized medicine

I have to know....when he writes it like that, is he trying to suggest that we don't have organs, or that they don't function the way we think they do, or what? The mind boggles.
Old 4th January 2014, 11:20 AM   #9
Dr. Imago
Master Poster

Here is his medical license info:

https://www.breeze.ca.gov/datamart/d...or=e76f7d8.0.0

If what you say is true, he may be violating some sort of state rules or regulations on the procurement and processing of potentially biohazardous material, as well as performing human experimentation without appropriate IRB approval. Someone may want to look into this and determine whether a report should be filled to the appropriate state agencies. If wrongdoing is found, this may be enough for them to suspend his license to practice medicine.

Of course, I've heard stories about doctors in California who have offices in both the state and Mexico. Often their patients are seen in California then invited to come to their clinics in Mexico for the more... ahem... "exotic" treatments they offer.

~Dr. Imago
DISCLAIMER: The above post is for informational and/or educational purposes only. It is not a substitute for the professional judgment of, in direct consultation with, a health care professional in diagnosing, treating, and/or preventing any disease or disorder. It is not to be construed as individualized medical advice, diagnosis, or a treatment recommendation. Your reliance upon the information obtained or used by you at, through, or as a result of this post is solely at your own risk.
Dr. Imago is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology