ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags murder cases , Shrien Dewani , South Africa incidents

Reply
Old 3rd February 2015, 06:41 AM   #1081
lonepinealex
Muse
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 817
He seemed pretty dumb to me. A good businessman, but arrogant and with blind spots - he acted like his wealth insulated him from the real world, to the extent that he was pretty naive. Advice for tourists in SA is always that you don't flash your money around because of the risk of getting mugged. The Dewanis were flaunting it, and it doesn't surprise me that they became a target. I bet Tongo went straight to Mbolombo to let him know he had a potential mark.
lonepinealex is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2015, 06:51 AM   #1082
anglolawyer
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Guilford
Posts: 13,037
Originally Posted by lonepinealex View Post
He seemed pretty dumb to me. A good businessman, but arrogant and with blind spots - he acted like his wealth insulated him from the real world, to the extent that he was pretty naive. Advice for tourists in SA is always that you don't flash your money around because of the risk of getting mugged. The Dewanis were flaunting it, and it doesn't surprise me that they became a target. I bet Tongo went straight to Mbolombo to let him know he had a potential mark.
One of the things that stood out from his defence statement was his obsessive determination to negotiate everything from taxi fares to helicopter rides. I think it's an Asian thing and I find it annoying when I have clients that do it. I usually have to 'educate' them but it wastes nervous energy better deployed elsewhere.
anglolawyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2015, 09:02 AM   #1083
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin
 
zooterkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Berkshire, mostly
Posts: 41,052
Mod InfoMoved to the Trials and Errors sub-forum
Posted By:zooterkin
__________________
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.Bertrand Russell
Zooterkin is correct Darat
Nerd! Hokulele
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2015, 07:29 PM   #1084
Samson
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 7,909
Dewani's lawyer has a difficult job here.

link: https://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/top-st...elf-inflicted/

"The injuries suffered by Henri van Breda, the surviving son of the former Perth family who were murdered in their luxurious South African home, were reportedly self-inflicted and he waited four hours before calling emergency services"

and

"Yesterday it emerged that Henri is to be supported by the lawyer who successfully defended a British husband accused of arranging the murder of his wife on their honeymoon.

A spokesman for the family confirmed yesterday that lawyer Pieter Botha - who was part of the legal team for Shrien Dewani - had been hired as part of Henri's legal team.

Mr Dewani, 34, was accused of hiring hit men to kill his wife Anni in Cape Town in South Africa in November 2010, but last year a judge dismissed the charges."

The case looks too obvious for a fresh thread, but must resonate with those who still believe David Bain is guilty of a similar crime.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2015, 09:11 PM   #1085
anglolawyer
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Guilford
Posts: 13,037
Originally Posted by Samson View Post
Dewani's lawyer has a difficult job here.

link: https://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/top-st...elf-inflicted/

"The injuries suffered by Henri van Breda, the surviving son of the former Perth family who were murdered in their luxurious South African home, were reportedly self-inflicted and he waited four hours before calling emergency services"

and

"Yesterday it emerged that Henri is to be supported by the lawyer who successfully defended a British husband accused of arranging the murder of his wife on their honeymoon.

A spokesman for the family confirmed yesterday that lawyer Pieter Botha - who was part of the legal team for Shrien Dewani - had been hired as part of Henri's legal team.

Mr Dewani, 34, was accused of hiring hit men to kill his wife Anni in Cape Town in South Africa in November 2010, but last year a judge dismissed the charges."

The case looks too obvious for a fresh thread, but must resonate with those who still believe David Bain is guilty of a similar crime.
That is a great story and should get its own thread IMO. Precedents include Darlie Routier (on death row in Texas for murdering two of her infant sons - innocent IMO) and Jeremy Bamber (serving whole life terms for the murder of his adoptive parents and sister and her two children - very, very murky). They both deserve their own threads too, come to think of it. But in your case we have the wonderfully tantalising possibility that Marli may recover and tell all.
anglolawyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2015, 09:16 PM   #1086
Charlie Wilkes
Illuminator
 
Charlie Wilkes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,177
Originally Posted by Samson View Post
Dewani's lawyer has a difficult job here.

link: https://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/top-st...elf-inflicted/

"The injuries suffered by Henri van Breda, the surviving son of the former Perth family who were murdered in their luxurious South African home, were reportedly self-inflicted and he waited four hours before calling emergency services"

and

"Yesterday it emerged that Henri is to be supported by the lawyer who successfully defended a British husband accused of arranging the murder of his wife on their honeymoon.

A spokesman for the family confirmed yesterday that lawyer Pieter Botha - who was part of the legal team for Shrien Dewani - had been hired as part of Henri's legal team.

Mr Dewani, 34, was accused of hiring hit men to kill his wife Anni in Cape Town in South Africa in November 2010, but last year a judge dismissed the charges."

The case looks too obvious for a fresh thread, but must resonate with those who still believe David Bain is guilty of a similar crime.
Looks like an interesting case. If you start a thread, I will cheerfully spout my opinions, we can compile facts and look at similar cases. Bushy haired stranger - true or false? Usually false, occasionally true, always an interesting topic.
Charlie Wilkes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2015, 12:08 AM   #1087
Samson
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 7,909
Originally Posted by anglolawyer View Post
That is a great story and should get its own thread IMO. Precedents include Darlie Routier (on death row in Texas for murdering two of her infant sons - innocent IMO) and Jeremy Bamber (serving whole life terms for the murder of his adoptive parents and sister and her two children - very, very murky). They both deserve their own threads too, come to think of it. But in your case we have the wonderfully tantalising possibility that Marli may recover and tell all.
Originally Posted by Charlie Wilkes View Post
Looks like an interesting case. If you start a thread, I will cheerfully spout my opinions, we can compile facts and look at similar cases. Bushy haired stranger - true or false? Usually false, occasionally true, always an interesting topic.
I will start a thread on this sub forum soon then, but anyone please beat me to it, I will check first.
As for Mark Lundy retrial, that is turning septic, one more link, and this is clearly ideal for this sub forum and a thread.....

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11399418

ETA I am not up to speed, this is explosive re above link.
Also blame anyone who first finds the bodies, especially when there is an obviously staged break in. O M * G

Last edited by Samson; 10th February 2015 at 12:30 AM.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2015, 12:42 AM   #1088
Octavo
Illuminator
 
Octavo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: South Africa
Posts: 3,485
Originally Posted by Samson View Post
I will start a thread on this sub forum soon then
Hurry up then, I have a billion news articles about this case, waiting to post
Octavo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2015, 12:56 AM   #1089
Samson
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 7,909
Originally Posted by Octavo View Post
Hurry up then, I have a billion news articles about this case, waiting to post
Please over to you! Your republic, much better you start the thread.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2015, 01:20 AM   #1090
anglolawyer
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Guilford
Posts: 13,037
Oh for Pete's sake! One of you. Come on Octavo. SA cases are always the best!
anglolawyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2015, 01:24 AM   #1091
Octavo
Illuminator
 
Octavo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: South Africa
Posts: 3,485
Originally Posted by anglolawyer View Post
Oh for Pete's sake! One of you. Come on Octavo. SA cases are always the best!
Sorry, I went for a smoke first The thread is up
Octavo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2015, 01:50 AM   #1092
anglolawyer
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Guilford
Posts: 13,037
Originally Posted by Octavo View Post
Sorry, I went for a smoke first The thread is up
Cool. Time to give up the fags though
anglolawyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2015, 02:50 AM   #1093
Samson
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 7,909
Originally Posted by anglolawyer View Post
Cool. Time to give up the fags though
You may be a wise ex young smoker. I totally understand. Anyway onto the new thread pending more Anni Dewani family revealing strategy to extract a pound of flesh without blood.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2015, 03:15 AM   #1094
anglolawyer
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Guilford
Posts: 13,037
Originally Posted by Samson View Post
You may be a wise ex young smoker. I totally understand. Anyway onto the new thread pending more Anni Dewani family revealing strategy to extract a pound of flesh without blood.
Anni's father has published a book. I meant to link to the Daily Fail's serialisation. Perforce, he avoids saying he dunnit and majors instead on the deception but for which there would have been no marriage and no murder (IOW he dunnit indirectly). I gathered from what I read that the SA police discovered Shrien's secret, er, hobby and leapt to the conclusion that he must have been involved due to being secretly gay, much like Lane99's theory .

Edited by zooterkin:  <SNIP>
Breach of Rule 12 excised.

Last edited by zooterkin; 10th February 2015 at 10:20 AM.
anglolawyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2015, 03:31 PM   #1095
lonepinealex
Muse
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 817
Dewani judge complaints thrown out: http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/Ne...laims-20150424
lonepinealex is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2015, 03:37 PM   #1096
anglolawyer
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Guilford
Posts: 13,037
Originally Posted by lonepinealex View Post
Dewani judge complaints thrown out: http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/Ne...laims-20150424
Gee. Thanks for posting that.
anglolawyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2015, 03:55 PM   #1097
lonepinealex
Muse
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 817
I'm just clutching at straws to keep this thread alive. That story is two weeks old.
lonepinealex is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2015, 04:06 PM   #1098
Samson
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 7,909
Originally Posted by lonepinealex View Post
I'm just clutching at straws to keep this thread alive. That story is two weeks old.
The comments are worth reading, here are a few.

"I hate to admit it, but Dewani is not guilty. The state made a mess and the murders decided in jail to screw Dewani. Thats why on the stand all of the murderers evidence were a blatant lie and the defence picked it up.. African mentality!!!! Decided to blame someone else, meanwhile I have to rot in jail... Or the incompetant police and state attorney just screw it up! You can blame the judge, she makes decisions on evidence and presebtations. She clearly saw the desperation but incompetant states case.. No sympathy!!"

"Rubbish Prins! Pure logic supports Dewani's guilt! Our system has failed Anni and I am appalled! There were enough facts and evidence to prove Dewani's guilt. For an "innocent" man, Dewani fought desperately to not be extradited, he knew he was guilty. More should have been done to ensure his conviction!"

"No offence to anyone but how come the black dudes involved r locked up and drwani gets off scott free. Never bn able to understand that. And the person that questioned this whole dewani scenario is now labelled as if he is a criminal ??"
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2015, 12:54 AM   #1099
anglolawyer
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Guilford
Posts: 13,037
LOL.

Lonepinealex, the thread might revive if and when one or other family launches civil proceedings. It was a very enjoyable discussion with some good stuff from both sides. I actually think all Dewani's dreams came true at the trial and he drew a very favourable judge out of the hat, if not an actually biased one. But the prosecution's fixation on the German Master left me thinking the whole case resulted from the discovery of his, er, pastime and the false deduction that he must therefore have married her against his will.

In the extradition proceedings, when he was ordered to be extradited and sought judicial review of that decision, one of his grounds was abuse of process. He alleged that SA had threatened to expose his deviant practises if he opposed extradition. That ground was rejected and not revived but I have no doubt it was true. It gives an idea of how large that point played in the prosecutors' minds.

One thing that bothered me was the BBC doc which had some CCTV footage of Mbolombo telling (probably) Qwabe 'this guy is in a hurry' or some such. I have not been able to make sense of that, unless he and Tongo were peddling some story to Qwabe and Mngeni - but why would they do that?

Last edited by anglolawyer; 10th May 2015 at 12:55 AM.
anglolawyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2015, 10:21 AM   #1100
lonepinealex
Muse
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 817
It would be good to have seen the full, unedited recordings of that CCTV footage. There must be a lot of recorded context that we didn't see in the doc.
lonepinealex is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2015, 04:38 AM   #1101
Information Analyst
Philosopher
 
Information Analyst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London, UK.
Posts: 8,303
Sky News: Dewani Family 'Fight On' Despite Inquest Blow

"The family of murdered bride Anni Dewani say they won't give up their fight to question her husband, despite being told a full inquest was unlikely.

The family appeared at Brent Coroner's Court this morning and hoped to persuade coroner Andrew Walker to hold a full hearing into her death.

They wanted him to order Anni's husband, Shrien Dewani, to give evidence and answer a series of questions about the couple's relationship.

Mr Dewani, 34, was extradited to South Africa last year, but was cleared of plotting his wife's murder.

Despite the trial verdict, the family believe justice has not been done and want Mr Dewani to speak publicly about the death for the first time."


How long can people keep on demanding the answers that they want hear, and ignoring the ones they don't?
Information Analyst is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2015, 05:28 AM   #1102
Samson
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 7,909
Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
Sky News: Dewani Family 'Fight On' Despite Inquest Blow

"The family of murdered bride Anni Dewani say they won't give up their fight to question her husband, despite being told a full inquest was unlikely.

The family appeared at Brent Coroner's Court this morning and hoped to persuade coroner Andrew Walker to hold a full hearing into her death.

They wanted him to order Anni's husband, Shrien Dewani, to give evidence and answer a series of questions about the couple's relationship.

Mr Dewani, 34, was extradited to South Africa last year, but was cleared of plotting his wife's murder.

Despite the trial verdict, the family believe justice has not been done and want Mr Dewani to speak publicly about the death for the first time."


How long can people keep on demanding the answers that they want hear, and ignoring the ones they don't?
It is intriguing, Scott Guy's wife Kylie just stopped trying to show her brother in law killed her husband because she ran out of money. Yet he was found not guilty because the prosecution was plain wrong. As the defence said, she could have saved all that money by reading a perfectly well researched book by Mike White. Link pending.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2015, 05:40 AM   #1103
Information Analyst
Philosopher
 
Information Analyst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London, UK.
Posts: 8,303
BBC News: Anni Dewani - Coroner rules out full UK inquest

"A coroner has ruled he "does not have sufficient cause" to open a full inquest into the death of Anni Dewani, who was killed on honeymoon in South Africa in 2010.

A murder case against her husband Shrien Dewani, from Bristol, was thrown out by a South African judge last year.

Three South African men were given jail terms for their role in her death.

Mrs Dewani's family had asked for an inquest to resume, claiming there were still unanswered questions.

But senior coroner Andrew Walker, at North London Coroners' Court, said he did not have sufficient cause to resume an inquest.

"In these proceedings, the matter will now rest," he said.

"The fact that there are differing accounts of how Mrs Dewani came by her death does not, in my view, mean that the matters have not already been sufficiently established in public proceedings."

He said he was "prohibited" from reaching a conclusion which was inconsistent with the findings of the South African courts, and added if new evidence came to light it would be up to Mrs Dewani's family to ask the Attorney General to reopen the matter."

End of. Hopefully.
Information Analyst is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2015, 05:50 AM   #1104
anglolawyer
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Guilford
Posts: 13,037
Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
BBC News: Anni Dewani - Coroner rules out full UK inquest

"A coroner has ruled he "does not have sufficient cause" to open a full inquest into the death of Anni Dewani, who was killed on honeymoon in South Africa in 2010.

A murder case against her husband Shrien Dewani, from Bristol, was thrown out by a South African judge last year.

Three South African men were given jail terms for their role in her death.

Mrs Dewani's family had asked for an inquest to resume, claiming there were still unanswered questions.

But senior coroner Andrew Walker, at North London Coroners' Court, said he did not have sufficient cause to resume an inquest.

"In these proceedings, the matter will now rest," he said.

"The fact that there are differing accounts of how Mrs Dewani came by her death does not, in my view, mean that the matters have not already been sufficiently established in public proceedings."

He said he was "prohibited" from reaching a conclusion which was inconsistent with the findings of the South African courts, and added if new evidence came to light it would be up to Mrs Dewani's family to ask the Attorney General to reopen the matter."

End of. Hopefully.
Avenues still open: judicial review of the coroner's decision; a civil claim brought by Anni's estate against Shrien in tort (trespass against the person).
anglolawyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2015, 05:56 AM   #1105
catsmate
No longer the 1
 
catsmate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 19,525
Originally Posted by anglolawyer View Post
Avenues still open: judicial review of the coroner's decision; a civil claim brought by Anni's estate against Shrien in tort (trespass against the person).
So still plenty of room for endless speculation then?
__________________
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2015, 06:18 AM   #1106
anglolawyer
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Guilford
Posts: 13,037
Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
So still plenty of room for endless speculation then?
There is a site (probably more than one) that has an ongoing discussion about the case as though it is steeped in mystery. Why didn't he cooperate with the police? Why didn't he tell them about the helicopter trip etc etc So, yes.
anglolawyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:49 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.