ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Jorge Bergoglio , Joseph Ratzinger , Judy Byington , Justin Welby , Kevin Annett , Pope Francis , satanic ritual abuse

Old 16th April 2014, 01:00 AM   #1
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Pope Francis, Ratzinger, Welby, Prince Phillip "sued" for satanic ritual abuse

Our old friend Judy Byington has hitched her crazy wagon to Kevin Annett's conspiracy theory campaign train against, well, take your pick.

http://www.examiner.com/article/us-c...sacrifice-cult

Quote:
Prominent US and Canadian politicians and corporate officials were expected to be named by eyewitnesses to murder as being members of the Corona Novem, Crown, or Ninth Circle Satanic child sacrifice cult said ITCCS spokesperson Kevin Annett in today's phone interview. Annett's International Tribunal into Crimes of Church and State case representing over 50,000 missing children began it's prosecution phase today at the International Common Law Court of Justice in Brussels Belgium.

US and Canadian politicians and corporate officials may join present defendants for the Brussels trial or await further investigation according to Annett. Already facing prosecution were Pope Francis, Jesuit Superior General Adolfo Pachon, Anglican Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby, former Pope Joseph Ratzinger, UK High Court Justice Judge Fulford and members of the British Royal Family including Queen Elizabeth's husband Prince Phillip.

Never heard of the International Common Law Court of Justice?

Quote:
Natural and Customary Law allows for the establishment of popular courts of justice when the existing legal and governmental authorities are subverting the law and justice, or aiding those who do. Common Law arose historically to uphold the liberties of the people against tyranny, whether religious or secular, and accordingly, has universal jurisdiction when convened as a jury court by more than twelve duly sworn men and women.

The International Common Law Court of Justice (ICLCJ) was established as the legal and judicial arm of the International Tribunal into Crimes of Church and state (ITCCS), with the help of legal experts, judges and survivors of church terror and imperial genocide in more than a dozen countries.
I'm sure this will be a resounding victory for Mr Annett and his court.

Old 16th April 2014, 01:16 PM   #2
carlitos
"más divertido"

An article from the Examiner misspells "its." Shocka.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2014, 02:12 PM   #3
Black Hole Box

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
An article from the Examiner misspells "its." Shocka.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who double checked the source upon seeing that.

I would pay money to watch this "trial." But then indulging the insane never results in good things.
Black Hole Box is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2014, 03:11 AM   #4
xtifr
Graduate Poster

I doubt there's going to be a trial. Expect a summary dismissal for any or all of: failure to state a case, lack of standing, improper venue, and god knows what else. They'll probably be lucky to get away without being declared vexatious litigants.

The legal system, despite its many flaws, does have some experience in dealing with crazy people.
-- James Nicoll
xtifr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2014, 05:01 AM   #5
fagin
Philosopher

It's not part of any legal system. It's a court made up by crazy people.
Old 17th April 2014, 11:10 AM   #6
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by Black Hole Box View Post
I'm glad I'm not the only one who double checked the source upon seeing that.

I would pay money to watch this "trial." But then indulging the insane never results in good things.
I disagree. Get the right kind of insane, provide pitchfork, send to this trial...hilarity insues.

But then, that assumes my idea doesn't fall afoul of your second sentence, as well.

Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2014, 12:37 PM   #7
Tomtomkent
Philosopher

My ideal scenario:

Prince Phillip turns up. Takes the stand and says: "What is this? People think I'm racist, but the only reason I am here is because I happen to have married a reptile-European. What exactly is it you bigots have against good honest, green skinned shape changers? Is it because they are migrants to this planet? You sirs, are terrible! Operation Con Trail can not happen too soon!"

Never look up an E-book because this signature line told you. Especially not Dead Lament (ASIN: B00JEN1MWY). Or A Little Trouble (ASIN: B00GQFZZQW).
Tomtomkent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2014, 02:06 PM   #8
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by xtifr View Post
I doubt there's going to be a trial. Expect a summary dismissal for any or all of: failure to state a case, lack of standing, improper venue, and god knows what else. They'll probably be lucky to get away without being declared vexatious litigants.

The legal system, despite its many flaws, does have some experience in dealing with crazy people.

It's their own Court.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2014, 02:19 PM   #9
xtifr
Graduate Poster

Ah, gotcha.
-- James Nicoll
xtifr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2014, 12:25 AM   #10
FromBelgiumWithLove

Thank you for pointing me to this. In by now several decades of having kook-watching as a hobby (I got bitten by the bug as a teenager, long before there was the internet), this Kevin Annett guy and his entirely fictional "International Common Law Court of Justice", somehow managed to fly below my radar. And this court is actually supposed to be based in Belgium, of all places. What is it with these people that they can't even keep up some remote semblance of verisimilitude? Couldn't he at least have located his imaginary, secret and entirely anonymously-staffed “Common Law” court in a country that actually has some connection to Common Law (IOW, basically Britain, or even more correctly England, and its former colonies), instead of in Belgium, a place that at no point of its history was ever subject to Common Law in any way, shape or form?

Another wonderful aspect is that Kevin Annett also seems to be at the centre of a lot of one of my favourite forms of internet entertainment: kook-on-kook verbal bashing. At least some of his online detractors appear at least as loony as he is himself. Absolutely delightful.

I'm afraid that I actually already know the real answer to the “why, of all possible imaginary locations for an imaginary court, Brussels, Belgium?” question. He's a Canadian, apparently trying to primarily deceive people in Canada and the US. Pretending that his non-existent “court” is in Belgium must minimize, in his mind, the risk that someone is going to check up on him. Like, actually getting hold of a real address in Brussels and going to see if there's a “Court” in operation there.
FromBelgiumWithLove is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2014, 12:42 AM   #11
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by FromBelgiumWithLove View Post
Pretending that his non-existent “court” is in Belgium must minimize, in his mind, the risk that someone is going to check up on him.
Eh? That's not very flattering to Belgium. Anyway I'm planning to go there in a couple of weeks and if someone can give me an address for the court, I will check it out. If it's in session I will sit in the public gallery.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2014, 01:18 AM   #12
Orphia Nay
Tagger

Yes, the court's actual location is a mystery.

http://iclcj.com/

"The ITCCS operates from an undisclosed central headquarters in Brussels, Belgium, and from regional offices in Vancouver, New York, Dublin, London and Paris."

How are the defendants supposed to turn up to defend themselves? Oh, that's right, they're not.
Old 18th April 2014, 02:13 AM   #13
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Orphia Nay View Post

"The ITCCS operates from an undisclosed central headquarters in Brussels, Belgium, and from regional offices in Vancouver, New York, Dublin, London and Paris."

How are the defendants supposed to turn up to defend themselves? Oh, that's right, they're not.
That's not very fair. I think they should have the right to defend themselves against charges like these, which are really quite serious.
Quote:
Along with considerable documentation, the Prosecutor introduced notarized affidavit statements from eight eyewitnesses to these crimes, including videotaped interviews with two adolescent women who claim to have been tortured and raped by chief defendant Jorge Bergoglio, alias “Pope Francis”, during the spring of 2009 and 2010, at horrific cult functions connected to the “Ninth Circle” child sacrifice network.

“Survivors of these rituals describe newborn babies being chopped to pieces on stone altars, and their remains were then consumed by the participants”.
http://itccs.org

I know the Pope can do largely what he likes in the Roman Church, but raping young women during religious ceremonies and then chopping babies to pieces on the altar before consuming them probably invalidates the whole ritual. Anyway that's what these pesky liberal Catholics will argue. It will cause no end of controversy about transubstantiation and infallibility. No way the Church needs that just now.

Last edited by Craig B; 18th April 2014 at 02:15 AM.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2014, 02:22 AM   #14
tsig
a carbon based life-form

The best way to enter a plea to this court is to write it on toilet paper and flush it down the toilet.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2014, 02:25 AM   #15
tsig
a carbon based life-form

Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
That's not very fair. I think they should have the right to defend themselves against charges like these, which are really quite serious. http://itccs.org

I know the Pope can do largely what he likes in the Roman Church, but raping young women during religious ceremonies and then chopping babies to pieces on the altar before consuming them probably invalidates the whole ritual. Anyway that's what these pesky liberal Catholics will argue. It will cause no end of controversy about transubstantiation and infallibility. No way the Church needs that just now.
As long as the priest said the magic words the baby flesh becomes Jesus flesh so eating it joins you with Jesus.

Praise the holy Bbque.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2014, 02:44 AM   #16
ddt
Mafia Penguin

I'm afraid that I actually already know the real answer to the “why, of all possible imaginary locations for an imaginary court, Brussels, Belgium?” question. He's a Canadian, apparently trying to primarily deceive people in Canada and the US. Pretending that his non-existent “court” is in Belgium must minimize, in his mind, the risk that someone is going to check up on him. Like, actually getting hold of a real address in Brussels and going to see if there's a “Court” in operation there.
Another, more important reason, I think is to give it some semblance of authority by associating through geography with the EU. Most people are aware that Brussels is the capital of the EU. In the same way as Scientology calls their free personality test the "Oxford Capacity Analysis" to suggest a link with the reputable university.

However, if you know a bit more about the EU than that, you'll realise that the (only) EU court, the ECJ, is based in Luxembourg. And that the ECHR, a court operated by the Council of Europe, a separate organisation, is based in Strasbourg. And that most or all UN-related courts are based in The Hague (maybe some in Geneva too). For people who know a bit more about international organisations, Brussels doesn't make sense at all as a seat of a court.

(which doesn't mean there aren't plenty of courts in Brussels. I recently found out that the municipality of Brussels alone, one of the 19 municipalities in the Brussels Capital Region, has 5 different small claims courts ("vredegerecht") and you have to get down to street level to find out which one has jurisdiction over your case).
"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf

"I think accuracy is important" - Vixen

Last edited by ddt; 18th April 2014 at 02:47 AM.
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2014, 02:52 AM   #17
catsmate
No longer the 1

FYI there's a rather odd Stop Kevin Annett blog.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2014, 09:50 AM   #18
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ddt View Post
... Brussels alone, one of the 19 municipalities in the Brussels Capital Region, has 5 different small claims courts ("vredegerecht") and you have to get down to street level to find out which one has jurisdiction over your case).
In Belgium, accusations like this are dealt with in small claims courts? What counts as a serious matter?
Quote:
... two adolescent women who claim to have been tortured and raped by chief defendant Jorge Bergoglio, alias “Pope Francis”, during the spring of 2009 and 2010, at horrific cult functions connected to the “Ninth Circle” child sacrifice network.

“Survivors of these rituals describe newborn babies being chopped to pieces on stone altars, and their remains were then consumed by the participants”.
Old 18th April 2014, 02:47 PM   #19
ddt
Mafia Penguin

In Belgium, accusations like this are dealt with in small claims courts? What counts as a serious matter?
No, that was just a factoid I came across in preparing a case to collect an invoice of a debtor. With a European procedure, btw.
"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf

ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2014, 05:50 PM   #20
Orphia Nay
Tagger

Roseanne, yes, Roseanne Barr, is pushing this crap on her blog:

One example:
http://www.roseanneworld.com/blog/20...icking-murder/

They've got the Official Seal of Stupid!
Old 19th April 2014, 02:05 AM   #21
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Quote:
... two adolescent women who claim to have been tortured and raped by chief defendant Jorge Bergoglio, alias “Pope Francis”, during the spring of 2009 and 2010, at horrific cult functions connected to the “Ninth Circle” child sacrifice network.
No, such accusations, in reality, are likely dealt with in the Brussels Palace of Justice. Which has serious problems. There was a fire 2 years ago, destroying several files. It has 28 entrances and a maze of halls and corridors, making security an impossible task. Last February, a woman, wife of a suspect, threatened a judge and then stabbed herself with a knife, after which judges went on strike. IIRC, there are also stories of suspects escaping from the court room and disappearing through the maze of corridors. Oh, and its status as a monument makes renovation a tricky subject.

Roseanne, yes, Roseanne Barr, is pushing this crap on her blog:

One example:
http://www.roseanneworld.com/blog/20...icking-murder/

They've got the Official Seal of Stupid!
From that link:
Quote:
The Court convened in closed session under tight security, presided by five Magistrates and a complete Court room staff, along with twenty seven sworn Jury members.
I wonder if those 27 jurors live in 27 different bodies, or if they count alters as separate jurors?

Old 19th April 2014, 02:30 AM   #22
Orphia Nay
Tagger

I wonder if those 27 jurors live in 27 different bodies, or if they count alters as separate jurors?

And the same goes for the 5 Magistrates.

Or are there that many crazy people in Brussels?
Old 19th April 2014, 03:05 AM   #23
ddt
Mafia Penguin

And the same goes for the 5 Magistrates.
And the 16 witnesses. Especially the witnesses.

Or are there that many crazy people in Brussels?
Depends whom you ask. A Euroskeptic would say 736, and that they are identified with the abbreviation MEP before their name.

Sorry, I have a hard time taking this thing seriously. There is not a shred of evidence that this whole tribunal is anything more than the vivid imagination of Kevin Arnett.

I also wonder where the countries "England" and "Holland" are located.

Old 19th April 2014, 06:23 AM   #24
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

I also wonder where the countries "England" and "Holland" are located.
It's all very complicated, but "England" though a constituent of the UK is also a "country" in official as well as informal terminology.
Quote:
The United Kingdom, a sovereign state under international law, is a member of intergovernmental organisations, the European Union and the United Nations. England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales are not themselves listed in the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) list of countries. However the ISO list of the subdivisions of the UK is supplied by British Standards and the Office for National Statistics and so uses "country" to describe England, Scotland and Wales. Northern Ireland, in contrast, is described as a "province" in the same lists.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Countri...United_Kingdom. Of course, "England" is not the name of the sovereign state to which the country of that name belongs, which is what you correctly mean.

Holland on the other hand is a "region and former province" of the Netherlands, according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holland. Not a "country".

ETA See also the Office of National Statistics, 2011 Census.
Quote:
The estimated populations of the four constituent countries of the UK are 53 million people in England, 5.3 million in Scotland, 3.1 million in Wales and 1.8 million in Northern Ireland.

Last edited by Craig B; 19th April 2014 at 06:26 AM.
Old 19th April 2014, 07:02 AM   #25
ddt
Mafia Penguin

It's all very complicated, but "England" though a constituent of the UK is also a "country" in official as well as informal terminology.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Countri...United_Kingdom. Of course, "England" is not the name of the sovereign state to which the country of that name belongs, which is what you correctly mean.
Yes, I'm aware of that. It's a quirk of British history that these divisions in countries were still recognized, though quite meaningless. It mainly reflects in separate football teams (and thus you greatly diminish the chances of ever again winning the World Cup, with or without the help of Russian Azeri linesmen) and oddly, in the Scottish case a separate law system, while until 1997, the UK was a strongly unified state with all executive and legislative power vested in Westminster.

And yes, I meant indeed a (sovereign) state, but sometimes it feels just weird or even wrong to use those words.
Holland on the other hand is a "region and former province" of the Netherlands, according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holland. Not a "country".
Thank you for educating me on the geography and history of my own country sovereign state country. Case in point.

Old 19th April 2014, 10:16 AM   #26
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Thank you for educating me on the geography and history of my own country sovereign state country. Case in point.
I did not presume to educate you on this point, of course, but anyone else who might look at this, who isn't aware of these differences, in the improbable event that they are interested in such matters.

Last edited by Craig B; 19th April 2014 at 10:27 AM.
Old 20th April 2014, 09:01 AM   #27
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

We like seperate Football teams because it gives Britain more votes with Fifa.

Plus it would be a brave manager who had to decide on the players for a British team.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2014, 09:33 AM   #28
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post

Plus it would be a brave manager who had to decide on the players for a British team.
I don't think we should get too hung up on ddt's football theory. He has neglected to reflect that Scots Law is based mainly on Roman-Dutch legal concepts, and not on barbarian customary laws as in England; and that the religious history of Scotland is not entirely dissimilar from that of his own country. In England the Roman church was taken over by the State and "nationalised"; while in Scotland there was a Calvinist ideological revolution. So ddt must be teasing us with his suggestion that football is the main cultural distinction. Anyway the first Scotland-England international match was only in 1872.
Old 20th April 2014, 12:46 PM   #29
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
You prefer more influence in appointing the one or the other crook as head of FIFA over winning the World Cup?

I don't think we should get too hung up on ddt's football theory. He has neglected to reflect that Scots Law is based mainly on Roman-Dutch legal concepts,
Interesting. Could you give a pointer to the Dutch influence? The wiki page on the history of Scots law mainly highlights English influence after the Act of the Union. Also, traditional Dutch law was largely thrown by the wayside with the introduction of the Napoleonic code, though Louis Napoleon tried to preserve some of it in the Dutch civil code during his short-lived and tragic tenure as King of Holland. (Yes, that was officially called Holland, it once was the name of a sovereign state).

and not on barbarian customary laws as in England;
I never quite got the hang of why nowadays judges should care what a judge said at the time that King John was besiegd by his barons in Rochester castle.

and that the religious history of Scotland is not entirely dissimilar from that of his own country. In England the Roman church was taken over by the State and "nationalised"; while in Scotland there was a Calvinist ideological revolution.
With the big difference that we threw our oppressive Catholic king out, while Scotland kept appointing crypto-Catholic kings who tried to reintroduce it. The first act that forbade Catholics from being monarch was passed when Scotland no longer existed as a kingdom or a sovereign state.

So ddt must be teasing us with his suggestion that football is the main cultural distinction.
I pointed at institutional distinctions, not cultural ones. There are plenty of those. In fact, I'm enjoying one right now while I'm typing this, a certain rye distillate.

Anyway the first Scotland-England international match was only in 1872.
Too bad that being the inventor of the game doesn't mean you keep excelling at it.

Last edited by ddt; 20th April 2014 at 12:48 PM.
Old 20th April 2014, 02:11 PM   #30
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Interesting. Could you give a pointer to the Dutch influence?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman-Dutch_law
Quote:
... Roman-Dutch law is still applied by the courts of South Africa (and its neighbours Lesotho, Swaziland, Namibia, Botswana and Zimbabwe), Guyana, Indonesia, East Timor, and Sri Lanka. It was largely drawn upon by Scots law.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_law_(legal_system)
Quote:
Similarly, Dutch law, while originally codified in the Napoleonic tradition, has been heavily altered under influence from the Dutch native tradition of Roman-Dutch law (still in effect in its former colonies). Scotland's civil law tradition borrowed heavily from Roman-Dutch law.
http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Resource/Doc/925/0000078.pdf
Quote:
Scots Law shares many statutory provisions with the law of England and Wales, but Scots civil law remains substantially based on Scots common law rather than statute, and Scots civil law contains elements that have origins in Roman Dutch Law rather that English Common Law traditions.
Old 22nd April 2014, 01:16 PM   #31
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Thank you, Craig. Fascinating! I did not know about this influence.

Old 23rd April 2014, 12:59 PM   #32
FromBelgiumWithLove

Another, more important reason, I think is to give it some semblance of authority by associating through geography with the EU. Most people are aware that Brussels is the capital of the EU. In the same way as Scientology calls their free personality test the "Oxford Capacity Analysis" to suggest a link with the reputable university.
Of course, that's why he picked Brussels as his imaginary court location, rather than any other European city, because it has some international resonance. It's also why a lot of people from abroad who visit the actual Brussels for the first time are so sorely disappointed. It's (a) quite small, and (b) not very attractive, as small European cities go (in my admittedly highly biased but not at all uncommon opinion).

Quote:
(which doesn't mean there aren't plenty of courts in Brussels. I recently found out that the municipality of Brussels alone, one of the 19 municipalities in the Brussels Capital Region, has 5 different small claims courts ("vredegerecht") and you have to get down to street level to find out which one has jurisdiction over your case).
I think "Justice of the Peace" would be a more accurate translation than "small claims court". And yes, the way that system is organised in Belgium is a disgrace. If the Justice of the Peace for the street where you live (or where the person you have a dispute with lives) is a total idiot, and you happen to have any kind of legal conflict that falls under their jurisdiction, then you're screwed. These justices are also, among the Belgian legal profession, the lowest of the low: they're the people with law degrees who were not only too lazy to get into private practice, where they'd have to actually do some work to earn their money, but also not good enough to make it to higher and better-paid levels of the judiciary. And once appointed (which until not that long ago only took the right political connections), they can stay there until retirement, regardless of competence. Trust me, from personal experience I know: the length of time a Belgian Justice of the Peace has been in their job is inversely proportional to their level of intelligence and professional competence. The smart and competent ones move on to better (and better-paid) things pretty quickly.
FromBelgiumWithLove is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2014, 01:09 PM   #33
FromBelgiumWithLove

Eh? That's not very flattering to Belgium. Anyway I'm planning to go there in a couple of weeks and if someone can give me an address for the court, I will check it out. If it's in session I will sit in the public gallery.
If it actually existed and had an address, I could hop on the train and be there in at most an hour or so (Brussels being next door). If it had an address, one could also put it Google Street View, and see if the building at least seems like a possible location for a "court" of some kind.

But of course, as has already been pointed out, it has no address.
Old 23rd April 2014, 01:36 PM   #34
FromBelgiumWithLove

No, such accusations, in reality, are likely dealt with in the Brussels Palace of Justice. Which has serious problems. [...] Oh, and its status as a monument makes renovation a tricky subject.
That particular architectural monstrosity, and security nightmare, is claimed to be the largest single building constructed in the 19th century. No, not just in Belgium - anywhere. Bizarrely, a near-identical copy was later built as the Palace of Justice in Lima, Peru, although slightly smaller and without the dome of the Brussels original. That otherwise pointless dome was later put to good use though (if you can call it that): for decades, it housed the control center and central antennas of the Eurovision TV broadcasting system.
Old 23rd April 2014, 03:17 PM   #35
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

A whois check of iclcj.com gets:

(Note the whois query produces results that are matters of public record and no breach of privacy is involved in reproducing this data)

[Querying whois.verisign-grs.com]
[Redirected to whois.enom.com]
[Querying whois.enom.com] [whois.enom.com]

Domain Name: ICLCJ.COM
Registry Domain ID: 1835136857_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.enom.com
Registrar URL: www.enom.com
Updated Date: 2013-11-12 00:37:13Z Creation Date: 2013-11-12 08:37:00Z Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2014-11-12 08:37:00Z Registrar: ENOM, INC. Registrar IANA ID: 48 Registrar Abuse Contact Email: abuse@enom.com Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: +1.4252744500 Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited Registry Registrant ID: Registrant Name: JOSHUA JD LEMMENS Registrant Organization: HOPE STUDIOS Registrant Street: PO BOX 1284, 1300 6TH AVENUE Registrant City: HOPE Registrant State/Province: BC Registrant Postal Code: V0X 1L0 Registrant Country: CA Registrant Phone: +1.6048691706 Registrant Phone Ext: Registrant Fax: Registrant Fax Ext: Registrant Email: HOPESTUDIOS@LIVE.CA Registry Admin ID: Admin Name: JOSHUA JD LEMMENS Admin Organization: HOPE STUDIOS Admin Street: PO BOX 1284, 1300 6TH AVENUE Admin City: HOPE Admin State/Province: BC Admin Postal Code: V0X 1L0 Admin Country: CA Admin Phone: +1.6048691706 Admin Phone Ext: Admin Fax: Admin Fax Ext: Admin Email: HOPESTUDIOS@LIVE.CA Registry Tech ID: Tech Name: JOSHUA JD LEMMENS Tech Organization: HOPE STUDIOS Tech Street: PO BOX 1284, 1300 6TH AVENUE Tech City: HOPE Tech State/Province: BC Tech Postal Code: V0X 1L0 Tech Country: CA Tech Phone: +1.6048691706 Tech Phone Ext: Tech Fax: Tech Fax Ext: Tech Email: HOPESTUDIOS@LIVE.CA Name Server: NS1.FOXYHARE.NET Name Server: NS2.FOXYHARE.NET DNSSEC: unSigned

Not a Belgium in sight.
Old 24th April 2014, 01:23 AM   #36
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

That particular architectural monstrosity, and security nightmare, is claimed to be the largest single building constructed in the 19th century. No, not just in Belgium - anywhere. Bizarrely, a near-identical copy was later built as the Palace of Justice in Lima, Peru, although slightly smaller and without the dome of the Brussels original. That otherwise pointless dome was later put to good use though (if you can call it that): for decades, it housed the control center and central antennas of the Eurovision TV broadcasting system.
It is a fascinating place. I have always thought it was very much like a haunted castle in a 1950s horror film. But I like Brussels: its domestic architecture, even the nineteenth century stuff, its pubs, trams, street markets, and even the robust meals obtainable in restaurants and bars.
Old 24th April 2014, 11:42 AM   #37
FromBelgiumWithLove

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
Not a Belgium in sight.
How dare you besmurf the reputation of Belgium by including a picture of a smurf in your message, you smurfing smurf!

For your punishment, I will now burst into song. Well, an incomplete song, and the scansion doesn't quite work - it relies on someone being able to somehow pronounce the acronym ICLCJ in only two syllables, but here goes.

To be sung to the tune of Frank Mills, from Hair:

I met a court called ICLCJ
On April the first right here
In front of the Berlaymont
But unfortunately
It has no address.

It was last seen with its friend,
A Canadian, he resembles Kevin Annett of the Indians,
and he wears his hair
With a little feather at the back.

I love it, but it embarrasses me
To be seen in court with it.
It exists in Brussels somewhere
And they wear this feathered headdress.

That, I'm afraid, is how far I got, while grocery shopping. One has to do something to keep one's mind busy while undertaking such mindless activities, doesn't one?

Last edited by FromBelgiumWithLove; 24th April 2014 at 12:09 PM.
Old 24th April 2014, 06:25 PM   #38
Orphia Nay
Tagger

Old 24th April 2014, 08:36 PM   #39
desertgal
Illuminator

Prince Philip? Why are they always picking on him? Yeah, he's not all that tactful at times, but that's about the extent of his evilness. Plus, he's 172 years old and he's had to walk two steps behind his wife for the last 90 years. Leave the poor lackey alone.
Old 24th April 2014, 11:53 PM   #40
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
A whois check of iclcj.com gets:

(Note the whois query produces results that are matters of public record and no breach of privacy is involved in reproducing this data)

[Querying whois.verisign-grs.com]
[Redirected to whois.enom.com]
[Querying whois.enom.com] [whois.enom.com]

Domain Name: ICLCJ.COM
Registry Domain ID: 1835136857_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.enom.com
Registrar URL: www.enom.com
Updated Date: 2013-11-12 00:37:13Z Creation Date: 2013-11-12 08:37:00Z Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2014-11-12 08:37:00Z Registrar: ENOM, INC. Registrar IANA ID: 48 Registrar Abuse Contact Email: abuse@enom.com Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: +1.4252744500 Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited Registry Registrant ID: Registrant Name: JOSHUA JD LEMMENS Registrant Organization: HOPE STUDIOS Registrant Street: PO BOX 1284, 1300 6TH AVENUE Registrant City: HOPE Registrant State/Province: BC Registrant Postal Code: V0X 1L0 Registrant Country: CA Registrant Phone: +1.6048691706 Registrant Phone Ext: Registrant Fax: Registrant Fax Ext: Registrant Email: HOPESTUDIOS@LIVE.CA Registry Admin ID: Admin Name: JOSHUA JD LEMMENS Admin Organization: HOPE STUDIOS Admin Street: PO BOX 1284, 1300 6TH AVENUE Admin City: HOPE Admin State/Province: BC Admin Postal Code: V0X 1L0 Admin Country: CA Admin Phone: +1.6048691706 Admin Phone Ext: Admin Fax: Admin Fax Ext: Admin Email: HOPESTUDIOS@LIVE.CA Registry Tech ID: Tech Name: JOSHUA JD LEMMENS Tech Organization: HOPE STUDIOS Tech Street: PO BOX 1284, 1300 6TH AVENUE Tech City: HOPE Tech State/Province: BC Tech Postal Code: V0X 1L0 Tech Country: CA Tech Phone: +1.6048691706 Tech Phone Ext: Tech Fax: Tech Fax Ext: Tech Email: HOPESTUDIOS@LIVE.CA Name Server: NS1.FOXYHARE.NET Name Server: NS2.FOXYHARE.NET DNSSEC: unSigned

Not a Belgium in sight.
As one might expect, they have two names in Belgium. Belgium: De Smurfen or Les Schtroumpfs
And presumably they use this too: Germany: Schlumpf. My favourite name is Italy: Puffo or Puffi.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal