ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 27th April 2014, 06:54 AM   #81
Scorpion
Graduate Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,104
Originally Posted by dlorde View Post
Coo! what does psychic energy feel like?

How does one know that something one feels is psychic energy?
It can be very uplifting or it can be quite disturbing. I first felt it as a disconcerting feeling like fire flowing through my chakras, I went to spiritualist churches for healing and they told me my etheric body was loose. After years the healing fixed the problem. But I could still feel atmospheres, and if I went into old churches I felt a kind of psychic warmth around me.
But it did not happen in new church buildings. That is because the centuries of prayer have impregnated the walls of old churches with positive power. Eventually I did not need healing because all I had to do to get upliftment was to go to the spiritualist associations chapel and sit there for a few minutes, and I could feel the energy lift my spirit.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2014, 06:55 AM   #82
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian
 
LSSBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: An elusive house at Bachelors Grove Cemetery
Posts: 15,793
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Its only subjective proof, and not scientific proof. The spirit world do not participate in scientific experiments that would change the entire world. But they are allowed to comfort their relatives on earth and to give them uplifting messages. Mediums that attempt to harness psychic powers to gain worldly recognition are normally dissapointed that the spirit world does not help them.

Never the less there are a lot of psychic people who know the truth for a certainty. I actually sat in a developing circle myself for a time, but I decided being psychic was not for me.
How do the spirits know something is scientific? Do they predict someone will go back and look at a particular event and try to test if, alongside other data, the event had any special cause beyond random noise? Sounds like an iron tight wall for a believer against having to change their mind, more than a sensible conjecture, to me.
__________________
"Realize deeply that the present moment is all you ever have." (Eckhart Tolle, 2004)
LSSBB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2014, 07:05 AM   #83
Scorpion
Graduate Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,104
Originally Posted by Donn View Post
The system behind the Spirit world must be arcane and complex. All those rules of what a spirit can and can't do. All the balancing and tallying of Karma, it must take vast etheric computing devices.

Imagine the sheer chaos at the Ports of Life and Death! The passports, the expiry papers. Who fixes the problems, like when two spirits return into a single body? Who catches the spiritual terrorists who go about telling secrets to silly humans, thus fritzing their karma forever?

Open minds want to know!
Believe it or not the spirit world say that there are another species of beings we call angels that never incarnate and some of them are angels of karma.
They have the final say in our evolution, and decide what experiences we need for our soul to progress. They are not concerned if that experience is harsh as they know it will all be for the ultimate good.
There is also a great brotherhood of enlightened souls guiding the evolution of the human family, I do not know if they use computers.

I heard a lecture by Ursula Roberts in which she said cases of possession by spirits were usually the result of two spirits being incarnated in the same body.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2014, 07:09 AM   #84
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy
 
Slowvehicle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: ...1888 miles from home by the shortest route without tolls...
Posts: 17,348
Originally Posted by PixyMisa View Post
Sorry, we couldn't get one, we'll have to make do with a semi-auto-da-fe.
__________________
"They want to make their molehills equal to the mountains by cutting the mountains down." -turingtest
"The universe did not come from nothing, it came from 'We don't know'." -Dancing David
"Cry, booga, booga, booga! and let slip the Hamsters of Silly!" -JFDHintze
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2014, 07:10 AM   #85
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy
 
Slowvehicle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: ...1888 miles from home by the shortest route without tolls...
Posts: 17,348
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Believe it or not the spirit world say that there are another species of beings we call angels that never incarnate and some of them are angels of karma.
They have the final say in our evolution, and decide what experiences we need for our soul to progress. They are not concerned if that experience is harsh as they know it will all be for the ultimate good.
There is also a great brotherhood of enlightened souls guiding the evolution of the human family, I do not know if they use computers.

I heard a lecture by Ursula Roberts in which she said cases of possession by spirits were usually the result of two spirits being incarnated in the same body.
...save the watches...
__________________
"They want to make their molehills equal to the mountains by cutting the mountains down." -turingtest
"The universe did not come from nothing, it came from 'We don't know'." -Dancing David
"Cry, booga, booga, booga! and let slip the Hamsters of Silly!" -JFDHintze
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2014, 07:13 AM   #86
dlorde
Philosopher
 
dlorde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 6,847
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
The laws of physics are not incompatible with the possible existence of higher undetectable realms.
Yes they are - completely incompatible. See what Sean Carroll says that quantum field theory (now including the Higgs boson) tells us: The Fundamental Nature of Reality (I cut to the chase on that video; if you want the full explanation, watch it all).

Quote:
The spirit world says the higher worlds are vibrating at a far higher rate than physical atoms, and the realms inter-penetrate. So they can exist in the same place without being perceptible by any other means than psychic development.
Nope, we now know for certain that isn't the case.
__________________
Simple probability tells us that we should expect coincidences, and simple psychology tells us that we'll remember the ones we notice...
dlorde is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2014, 07:26 AM   #87
PixyMisa
Persnickety Insect
 
PixyMisa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Sunny Munuvia
Posts: 16,346
Originally Posted by dlorde View Post
Yes they are - completely incompatible. See what Sean Carroll says that quantum field theory (now including the Higgs boson) tells us: The Fundamental Nature of Reality (I cut to the chase on that video; if you want the full explanation, watch it all).
Neat.

No, neat doesn't do it justice. Those few minutes just there puncture so many silly baseless theories. It's awe-inspiring.
__________________
Free blogs for skeptics... And everyone else. mee.nu
What, in the Holy Name of Gzortch, are you people doing?!?!!? - TGHO
PixyMisa is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2014, 07:35 AM   #88
Resume
Troublesome Passenger
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 15,634
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Having said that you do not go to a spiritualist church and swallow everything a medium says to you hook line and sinker. You apply reasoning to what you are told, and if it does not make sense to you, reject it.
There'd be nothing left to consider.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2014, 07:42 AM   #89
dlorde
Philosopher
 
dlorde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 6,847
Originally Posted by PixyMisa View Post
Neat.

No, neat doesn't do it justice. Those few minutes just there puncture so many silly baseless theories. It's awe-inspiring.
Yup; if you want to maintain that anything paranormal, psychic, supernatural, etc., is real or relevant at human scales, you have to abandon as wrong the best theory we've ever had, which has matched every experiment we've done to test it as precisely as we are able to measure. But we know it's not wrong because of those very experiments, so the choice is an absolute one, between reality and fantasy - and, as you said earlier, you can't have both.

There's nothing wrong with dreaming, wishful thinking, fantasy, etc., as long as you don't confuse it with reality.
__________________
Simple probability tells us that we should expect coincidences, and simple psychology tells us that we'll remember the ones we notice...
dlorde is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2014, 07:50 AM   #90
Scorpion
Graduate Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,104
Originally Posted by PixyMisa View Post
Neat.

No, neat doesn't do it justice. Those few minutes just there puncture so many silly baseless theories. It's awe-inspiring.
Since my personal experience tells me that the spirit world can see into the future, my perception of it is that it is bunk. He did say there could be other forces but they are too weak to effect us physically. He did say they do not know everything.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2014, 07:56 AM   #91
dlorde
Philosopher
 
dlorde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 6,847
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
It can be very uplifting or it can be quite disturbing. I first felt it as a disconcerting feeling like fire flowing through my chakras
As I understand it, chakras are supposed junction points physically located in correspondence with certain neural or venous/arterial plexi... so are you saying you felt an intense burning pain at certain points on or in your body? if so, I can see how that would be disconcerting - it sounds like a neurological problem. If not, I'd appreciate a clarification - I don't see how feeling you're on fire or burning could be 'very uplifting'...

Quote:
I went to spiritualist churches for healing and they told me my etheric body was loose.
What does that mean? how can an 'etheric body' be 'loose'?

Quote:
After years the healing fixed the problem.
How did they tighten it? I hope they didn't charge you. A good way to get you on board though...

Quote:
.. if I went into old churches I felt a kind of psychic warmth around me.
How is psychic warmth different from ordinary warmth?
__________________
Simple probability tells us that we should expect coincidences, and simple psychology tells us that we'll remember the ones we notice...
dlorde is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2014, 08:03 AM   #92
dlorde
Philosopher
 
dlorde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 6,847
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Since my personal experience tells me that the spirit world can see into the future, my perception of it is that it is bunk.
So, on the one hand we have the most accurate, best tested theory of all time (that underlies the very technology you used to post your message) - and on the other, your unsupported perception that it is bunk...

Quote:
He did say there could be other forces but they are too weak to effect us physically. He did say they do not know everything.
Yup; and he explained exactly why you can't use that as special pleading
__________________
Simple probability tells us that we should expect coincidences, and simple psychology tells us that we'll remember the ones we notice...

Last edited by dlorde; 27th April 2014 at 08:05 AM.
dlorde is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2014, 08:14 AM   #93
PixyMisa
Persnickety Insect
 
PixyMisa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Sunny Munuvia
Posts: 16,346
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Since my personal experience tells me that the spirit world can see into the future, my perception of it is that it is bunk.
We know that your personal experience is false. If Quantum Field Theory were incorrect, the computer you are using would not work.

Since clearly it does work - or we would not be having this conversation - your beliefs in the supernatural are demonstrably false.

Quote:
He did say there could be other forces but they are too weak to effect us physically.
Exactly. And that includes producing thoughts in your brain, or cheating on the lottery.
__________________
Free blogs for skeptics... And everyone else. mee.nu
What, in the Holy Name of Gzortch, are you people doing?!?!!? - TGHO
PixyMisa is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2014, 08:21 AM   #94
Scorpion
Graduate Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,104
Originally Posted by dlorde View Post
As I understand it, chakras are supposed junction points physically located in correspondence with certain neural or venous/arterial plexi... so are you saying you felt an intense burning pain at certain points on or in your body? if so, I can see how that would be disconcerting - it sounds like a neurological problem. If not, I'd appreciate a clarification - I don't see how feeling you're on fire or burning could be 'very uplifting'...
I had feelings like fire flowing through my brow and through my heart, and most of the other seven major chakras. I saw a chart of the chakras in a book called alternative London and recognized them as the places where I had felt the fire flowing. So I started going to spiritualist churches for help.
After a long search I was told it was because my chakras were out of alignment due to my etheric body being loose, and you are right it was not a pleasant sensation. I also felt like there were cobwebs floating over my skin.

Originally Posted by dlorde View Post
What does that mean? how can an 'etheric body' be 'loose'?
The etheric body is an energy shell that links the higher bodies like the astral and mental body to the physical. and consciousness is channeled down through the chakras into the brain. If you suffer a lot of stress, as I did your etheric body can become loose and not align properly with the physical body.
Originally Posted by dlorde View Post
How did they tighten it? I hope they didn't charge you. A good way to get you on board though...
Spiritual healing is free, but you can leave some money on the collection plate to keep the church running. I had a lot of healing and I could often feel it as a power or force flowing into me.
Originally Posted by dlorde View Post
How is psychic warmth different from ordinary warmth?
It is perceivably different, and I could feel cold on a summers day and warm if I went into an old church. My nervous system was like a psychic barometer.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2014, 08:22 AM   #95
The Shrike
Illuminator
 
The Shrike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,500
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
. . . I went to spiritualist churches for healing and they told me my etheric body was loose. After years the healing fixed the problem.
So you perceived some problem, and the people in contact with you interpreted that problem as something they made up. Shockingly, those people had the cure for the problem they invented: YEARS of spending more time and money with them!

It sounds to me like your chakras (whatever those are) and your etheric body (whatever that is) are just fine. Between your ears, however, lies a pathological gullibility. The reason you can't be reasoned out of these silly beliefs is that you don't want to own up to the fact that you've been a rube and a regular paying customer of charlatans for many years.

It's never pleasant to admit we've made foolish and costly mistakes in our lives, and I'm genuinely sorry that you've been victimized by this silliness for so long. Make no mistake though, it is silliness and you are a victim. You're here at the JREF and exposed to a wealth of information to help you break the cycle of fantasy in which you're entrapped. I hope you use the resources here to do just that.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2014, 08:33 AM   #96
Fast Eddie B
Illuminator
 
Fast Eddie B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Mineral Bluff, GA
Posts: 4,659
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
IThe spirit world do not participate in scientific experiments that would change the entire world.
A few posts back I predicted that Scorpion would respond with Special Pleading.

Viola!

Where can I apply for the million dollars, having demonstrated my ability to predict the future?
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2014, 08:39 AM   #97
Fast Eddie B
Illuminator
 
Fast Eddie B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Mineral Bluff, GA
Posts: 4,659
Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
Between your ears, however, lies a pathological gullibility.
Speaking of pathological...

...hearing voices that are not there can be a symptom, correct?

Maybe it's lupus?
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2014, 08:44 AM   #98
PixyMisa
Persnickety Insect
 
PixyMisa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Sunny Munuvia
Posts: 16,346
It's always lupus!
__________________
Free blogs for skeptics... And everyone else. mee.nu
What, in the Holy Name of Gzortch, are you people doing?!?!!? - TGHO
PixyMisa is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2014, 08:47 AM   #99
Scorpion
Graduate Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,104
Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
Speaking of pathological...

...hearing voices that are not there can be a symptom, correct?

Maybe it's lupus?
No it would be schizophrenia, but the difference between a hallucination and a real spirit voice is that the real voice tells you facts .

I was told by a female voice that I would win the lottery one hour before I did win five numbers. I have done the lottery since it started and I still do it and the only time I heard a voice say I had won was when I did win.
The odds against a five number win are 55000 to 1 and the odds against hearing a voice tell you you are going to win the only time you did win must be astronomical.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2014, 09:00 AM   #100
Resume
Troublesome Passenger
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 15,634
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I was told by a female voice that I would win the lottery one hour before I did win five numbers.
Did you buy a ticket based on this, or did you already have it?

Quote:
I have done the lottery since it started and I still do it and the only time I heard a voice say I had won was when I did win.
That you remember.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2014, 09:05 AM   #101
Scorpion
Graduate Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,104
Originally Posted by Resume View Post
Did you buy a ticket based on this, or did you already have it?.
I purchased the ticket two days before the draw after spending about ten minutes vibing out the numbers. It was only on the saturday night one hour before the draw that I heard the voice.

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
That you remember.
I am confident my memory is correct, and I have never heard the voice before or since I won.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2014, 09:11 AM   #102
Resume
Troublesome Passenger
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 15,634
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I purchased the ticket two days before the draw after spending about ten minutes vibing out the numbers. It was only on the saturday night one hour before the draw that I heard the voice.
Wouldn't you have checked the numbers anyway? If so, of what use was the voice?

Quote:
I am confident my memory is correct, and I have never heard the voice before or since I won.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/articles...ory_biases.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_memory_biases
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2014, 09:12 AM   #103
dlorde
Philosopher
 
dlorde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 6,847
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I saw a chart of the chakras in a book called alternative London...
That may well have been a tube map or bus timetable...

Quote:
After a long search I was told it was because my chakras were out of alignment due to my etheric body being loose...
Surely any spiritual healer worth the name should spot something serious like chakras out of alignment or etheric body coming loose(!) almost immediately - why the long search? Also, if chakras are junction points of 'energy meridians' (bodily ley lines?), how can they be out of alignment? a junction is a junction... isn't it? Sounds like they made up some flim-flam and you swallowed it.

Quote:
I also felt like there were cobwebs floating over my skin.
I get that too; there's a variety of simple physiological explanations.

Quote:
consciousness is channeled down through the chakras into the brain.
No it isn't. There's a mountain of evidence that consciousness isn't channelled from anywhere, it's a type of brain activity.

Quote:
If you suffer a lot of stress, as I did your etheric body can become loose and not align properly with the physical body.
If you suffer a lot of stress you may well become less rational, more emotional, more prone to magical thinking, and more gullible. People in this condition are often vulnerable, sometimes desperate; some will believe almost anything.

Quote:
Spiritual healing is free, but you can leave some money on the collection plate to keep the church running.
Uh-huh, 'keep the church running'...

Quote:
I had a lot of healing and I could often feel it as a power or force flowing into me.
I can get that from a couple of pints, or when people laugh at a joke I've told.

Quote:
It is perceivably different, and I could feel cold on a summers day and warm if I went into an old church.
Everyone gets those 'paradoxical' temperature sensations, it's quite normal.

Quote:
My nervous system was like a psychic barometer.
Er, a barometer measures pressure, not temperature.
__________________
Simple probability tells us that we should expect coincidences, and simple psychology tells us that we'll remember the ones we notice...
dlorde is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2014, 09:16 AM   #104
The Shrike
Illuminator
 
The Shrike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,500
If the spirit that spoke to you through your chakras or whatever is someone's soul, how exactly does the spirit know what's going to happen in the future? Unless spirits are omniscient in past present and future, how does the spirit of someone from the past pick lottery numbers? What, exactly, does God get to do if Joe Schmoe's spirit from whenever has this kind of power?

Also, why would it be worth it for the spirit world to help you buy a computer (good lord that's laughably silly) but not to help equally wholesome people recover from terminal illness, pay for college, find a lost child, etc?
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2014, 09:17 AM   #105
PixyMisa
Persnickety Insect
 
PixyMisa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Sunny Munuvia
Posts: 16,346
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
No it would be schizophrenia, but the difference between a hallucination and a real spirit voice is that the real voice tells you facts .
Not necessarily (in either direction).

Quote:
I was told by a female voice that I would win the lottery one hour before I did win five numbers.
There are a few problems with this as supporting evidence for this spirit world hypothesis.

1. We have no reason to believe that this happened as you described. Even if we assume you are being entirely truthful with us (which is what we normally do assume here, unless there is substantial contrary evidence), there is still no reason to believe that this happened as you describe.

Here are two rather lengthy lists of the problems with human memory and reasoning, and why we simply do not trust them with anything but the most mundane of tasks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_memory_biases
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cognitive_biases

2. The spirit world, were it to exist, could not possibly interact with us in the way you suggest.

3. Winning a middling prize on the lottery is hardly unusual or indicative of anything else unusual. My parents were in an office pool that won first prize in a lottery a couple of years before I was born. There are lots of lotteries, and lots of people win them. Lots of people think they are going to win the lottery. Some of the people who think they are going to win the lottery are the same people as those who do win the lottery. This is known as a coincidence. Literally, because it's where the two sets of people coincide.

Quote:
I have done the lottery since it started and I still do it and the only time I heard a voice say I had won was when I did win.
See those lists above? You need to rule out every single one of those problems, and it's not actually possible for you to do that.

Quote:
The odds against a five number win are 55000 to 1 and the odds against hearing a voice tell you you are going to win the only time you did win must be astronomical.
Littlewood's Law states that people experience, on average, one miracle per month, where a miracle is defined as an event with odds of 1 million to 1 or greater. Minor lottery prizes are common. Auditory hallucinations are common. Cognitive and memory biases are universal. And your hypothesis of communications with the spirit world is known a priori to be false.

So, this is where all this leaves us: We accept that you won a prize in the lottery. We accept that you are being truthful and that you remember a voice telling you that you were going to win, that one time out of all the times you entered the lottery. And this is completely worthless as evidence for your belief in a spirit world, which we know to be false.
__________________
Free blogs for skeptics... And everyone else. mee.nu
What, in the Holy Name of Gzortch, are you people doing?!?!!? - TGHO

Last edited by PixyMisa; 27th April 2014 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Y.
PixyMisa is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2014, 09:19 AM   #106
dlorde
Philosopher
 
dlorde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 6,847
Originally Posted by Resume View Post
How Much of Your Memory is True?
Memory Distortion & Invention
False Autobiographical Memories
Seven Sins of Memory
The Memory Doctor

Don't remember where I found all those...
__________________
Simple probability tells us that we should expect coincidences, and simple psychology tells us that we'll remember the ones we notice...
dlorde is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2014, 09:26 AM   #107
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 9,915
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I am confident my memory is correct
Did you know that every time we remember something we in effect remove the memory from storage, change it a bit and then re-store the changed version?

Our memories are not reliable. Our perceptions are not reliable. This knowledge is hard won, the fruit of centuries of investigation and (often bitter) experience. You can choose to ignore it, but only if your emotional investment in your beliefs is so great that you would rather not examine them critically than risk finding that they are incorrect.

Your beliefs are lovely, I find them very attractive myself. But the more I want to believe something, the more careful I am to ensure that my desire for them to be true is not biasing my reasoning ability. You do not seem to be willing to consider the possibility that you might be mistaken at all, even though it is reasonably easy to test.
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2014, 09:50 AM   #108
Donn
Philosopher
 
Donn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: In my head.
Posts: 7,712
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Believe it or not the spirit world say that there are another species of beings we call angels that never incarnate and some of them are angels of karma.
They have the final say in our evolution, and decide what experiences we need for our soul to progress. They are not concerned if that experience is harsh as they know it will all be for the ultimate good.
There is also a great brotherhood of enlightened souls guiding the evolution of the human family, I do not know if they use computers.

I heard a lecture by Ursula Roberts in which she said cases of possession by spirits were usually the result of two spirits being incarnated in the same body.
I see. It's good to know it's so organized. Do these angels not evolve too? And the brotherhood, are they all done, or on their way? Who directs these groups?

The sheer volume of souls - going back in time it must number in the hundreds of billions - makes me mention computers. Just to keep track of the pedigree of each one, the identity, the current level and so on. Who do you suppose would run this massive operation, some spiritual NSA?

For example, are there any repeat possessor spirits; those who routinely break the rules and jump into bodies already owned? How would they be identified and discouraged?

If there are any rule breakers at all - does it not suggest that there's some element of will involved? If so, there could be all manner of misdeed happening in both worlds. What would stop powerful spirits from staging a take-over and ruling the other world for themselves?
__________________
"If I hadn't believed it with my own mind, I would never have seen it." - thanks sackett
"If you stand on a piece of paper, you are indeed closer to the moon." - MRC_Hans
"I was a believer. Until I saw it." - Magrat
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2014, 10:04 AM   #109
dlorde
Philosopher
 
dlorde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 6,847
Originally Posted by Donn View Post
What would stop powerful spirits from staging a take-over and ruling the other world for themselves?
God? he's got to be good for something...
__________________
Simple probability tells us that we should expect coincidences, and simple psychology tells us that we'll remember the ones we notice...
dlorde is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2014, 10:08 AM   #110
Donn
Philosopher
 
Donn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: In my head.
Posts: 7,712
Well, you never know ..
__________________
"If I hadn't believed it with my own mind, I would never have seen it." - thanks sackett
"If you stand on a piece of paper, you are indeed closer to the moon." - MRC_Hans
"I was a believer. Until I saw it." - Magrat
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2014, 10:14 AM   #111
Scorpion
Graduate Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,104
Originally Posted by Donn View Post
I see. It's good to know it's so organized. Do these angels not evolve too? And the brotherhood, are they all done, or on their way? Who directs these groups?

The sheer volume of souls - going back in time it must number in the hundreds of billions - makes me mention computers. Just to keep track of the pedigree of each one, the identity, the current level and so on. Who do you suppose would run this massive operation, some spiritual NSA?

For example, are there any repeat possessor spirits; those who routinely break the rules and jump into bodies already owned? How would they be identified and discouraged?

If there are any rule breakers at all - does it not suggest that there's some element of will involved? If so, there could be all manner of misdeed happening in both worlds. What would stop powerful spirits from staging a take-over and ruling the other world for themselves?
The inhabitants of the spirit world ultimately answer to God, and they say it is obvious there is one because energy streams down from above, and higher beings visit the lower planes to teach.

I only know what I have heard in various trance lectures, and one of the things they have said is the spirit world is graduated into a number of planes, or realms. These realms accend in higher and higher vibrations and a spirit cannot go to a realm higher than their state of spiritual evolution allows.
There are evidently dark realms where evil spirits are condemned to live until they repent and strive to improve themselves . There is no question of these beings invading higher realms and taking them over because they cannot bear the light, and they are forced back to their level.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2014, 10:20 AM   #112
Hokulele
Deleterious Slab of Damnation
 
Hokulele's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Biggest Little City in the World
Posts: 29,531
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
It can be very uplifting or it can be quite disturbing. I first felt it as a disconcerting feeling like fire flowing through my chakras, I went to spiritualist churches for healing and they told me my etheric body was loose. After years the healing fixed the problem. But I could still feel atmospheres, and if I went into old churches I felt a kind of psychic warmth around me.
But it did not happen in new church buildings. That is because the centuries of prayer have impregnated the walls of old churches with positive power. Eventually I did not need healing because all I had to do to get upliftment was to go to the spiritualist associations chapel and sit there for a few minutes, and I could feel the energy lift my spirit.

Aha! Something that can be tested!

Have you ever tried being blindfolded, led into a building, and seeing if you can tell whether it is an old or new church, just by feeling psychic energy?

I once had a friend who claimed to be able to do something similar, but once they no longer knew what environment they were in, their guesses fell back into what was expected from pure chance.
__________________
"Oh god...What have you done, zooterkin? WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!?!?!" - Cleon
Hokulele is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2014, 10:27 AM   #113
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges
 
isissxn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Deep Storage
Posts: 4,316
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
The inhabitants of the spirit world ultimately answer to God, and they say it is obvious there is one because energy streams down from above, and higher beings visit the lower planes to teach.

I only know what I have heard in various trance lectures, and one of the things they have said is the spirit world is graduated into a number of planes, or realms. These realms accend in higher and higher vibrations and a spirit cannot go to a realm higher than their state of spiritual evolution allows.
There are evidently dark realms where evil spirits are condemned to live until they repent and strive to improve themselves . There is no question of these beings invading higher realms and taking them over because they cannot bear the light, and they are forced back to their level.
Nonsense. It isn't obvious at all.

All these rules these "experts" are stating - about levels and vibrations and planes - they're peppering their ideas with words that sound very science-y and official, but actually don't mean anything when examined closely. Or, at the very least, are baseless in context.

Don't you see that it's very easy to invent a state of being and then make up rules for it? The rules may sound quite sensible and may be set up in a very systematic order within the system created, but at the end of the day, it's still an imaginary system, and therefore baseless. It's a lot like the "technobabble" imbibed throughout the show Star Trek. It made for a better story to have such complex and official rules governing the made-up science in the plot, but from a REAL-WORLD standpoint, the bottom line was still essentially magic. Since the show was fiction, that's all fine. But when people start trying to claim the real world operates in a similar way, you have to start breaking it down and examining what may actually be pure verbose conjecture.

Look, when I was a teenager and met some New Age folks who seemed wise and interesting and "in touch" with nature or whatever, all this stuff started to suck me down the rabbit hole too. But before I got too far, a few inconsistencies caused me to stop and start looking at the minutia. However good it may have sounded, it wasn't solid and it wasn't real. Some of the people who'd insisted it was were just misguided, same as me. Others were liars and deliberate con-people, weedling money out of sad, confused, or uncertain folks.

It's not easy to allow yourself to see that. It's almost like quitting a drug or a tumultuous relationship. But it improves your life in the end. You feel more in-control when you can question "higher" things and see through people who misuse these ideas for myriad reasons.
isissxn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2014, 10:28 AM   #114
Scorpion
Graduate Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,104
Originally Posted by Hokulele View Post
Aha! Something that can be tested!

Have you ever tried being blindfolded, led into a building, and seeing if you can tell whether it is an old or new church, just by feeling psychic energy?

I once had a friend who claimed to be able to do something similar, but once they no longer knew what environment they were in, their guesses fell back into what was expected from pure chance.
It is just something I noticed over the years. I once went into a franciscan monestary in Italy and the power was overwhelming. The strongest I had ever felt. I also felt upliftment from some spiritualist healers, and I would feel it for days after the healing, but it gradually wore off.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2014, 11:15 AM   #115
Iamme
Philosopher
 
Iamme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,214
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Using the occult to gain worldy weath is cheating the system big time. It is taking away money from the people that would have won it by abusing psychic powers. The spirit world does not normally do this, so they must have decided that buying me a computer was justifiable, so they influenced me when I picked the numbers. I felt energy flow through me when I was picking the numbers, and I picked the ones where the energy was strongest. A voice told me I had won the lottery one hour before the draw. Naturally I have wished they would give me a big win ever since but they never have.
I do not need any money now so the only reason they might give me a big win would be to give the money to charities, but they obviously don't want to do that, or where would it end. I could win the lottery every week.
If everything you say is the truth. I`m ready to become a convert. This is absolutely astounding what you are saying.
__________________
I lost my mind many years ago and it hasn't affected me a bit...a bit..a bit..a bit.
Iamme is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2014, 12:00 PM   #116
Donn
Philosopher
 
Donn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: In my head.
Posts: 7,712
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
The inhabitants of the spirit world ultimately answer to God, and they say it is obvious there is one because energy streams down from above, and higher beings visit the lower planes to teach.

I only know what I have heard in various trance lectures, and one of the things they have said is the spirit world is graduated into a number of planes, or realms. These realms accend in higher and higher vibrations and a spirit cannot go to a realm higher than their state of spiritual evolution allows.
There are evidently dark realms where evil spirits are condemned to live until they repent and strive to improve themselves . There is no question of these beings invading higher realms and taking them over because they cannot bear the light, and they are forced back to their level.
You mean to say that spirits are uniformly good and show none of the ethical variety they did as humans? Hijinks, mistakes and even crime can't all be evil spirits.

Anyway, it sounds like this god must be doing a lot of work handling such a vast array of characters and coordinating it all. It must be a tiring job. Is the end result worth the whole gruelling enterprise?

Why doesn't this god start at the end, with the perfect creatures it always wanted as company?

The potential to do work that streams from above and assured the denizens of the various levels that there must be a god at the helm sounds like faith. Is this faith enough, to you, or do you count your experiences with spirits as more important towards your beliefs?

If your experiences are important, and they are your evidence, then why do you not seek more evidence about this god? Just because you are convinced there are spirits does not mean that there is a god. They could be tricking you, or something like it.
__________________
"If I hadn't believed it with my own mind, I would never have seen it." - thanks sackett
"If you stand on a piece of paper, you are indeed closer to the moon." - MRC_Hans
"I was a believer. Until I saw it." - Magrat
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2014, 12:40 PM   #117
Scorpion
Graduate Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,104
Originally Posted by Donn View Post
You mean to say that spirits are uniformly good and show none of the ethical variety they did as humans? Hijinks, mistakes and even crime can't all be evil spirits.

Anyway, it sounds like this god must be doing a lot of work handling such a vast array of characters and coordinating it all. It must be a tiring job. Is the end result worth the whole gruelling enterprise?

Why doesn't this god start at the end, with the perfect creatures it always wanted as company?

The potential to do work that streams from above and assured the denizens of the various levels that there must be a god at the helm sounds like faith. Is this faith enough, to you, or do you count your experiences with spirits as more important towards your beliefs?

If your experiences are important, and they are your evidence, then why do you not seek more evidence about this god? Just because you are convinced there are spirits does not mean that there is a god. They could be tricking you, or something like it.
There are said to be a number of planes separated by an energy barrier leading all the way up to God who remains untouched by it all. As far as I know God is a huge formless mind that provides all energy and does not interfere in our affairs directly, that is left to the angels and to highly evolved beings who have already reached enlightenment.

We go to the plane our evolution is most suited for and the darker realms are where the most unevolved go to, they can be called evil or ignorant. But it is up to them to wish to change before they can escape the lower realms.

The spirit world say there is a God and they are in a better position to know than we are. They could be lying but why would they.

The bottom line is that we are all God within God, and we are part of him, but we are on the long journey of self development and free will. We will ultimately rejoin God as enlightened beings at the end of our cycle of incarnations. It has been said that the point of it all is the journey itself.

After all, what would we be if we all sat around in heaven as untried and untested beings?
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2014, 12:40 PM   #118
dlorde
Philosopher
 
dlorde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 6,847
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
It is just something I noticed over the years. I once went into a franciscan monestary in Italy and the power was overwhelming. The strongest I had ever felt. I also felt upliftment from some spiritualist healers, and I would feel it for days after the healing, but it gradually wore off.
When I went into the Blue Mosque in Istambul I had a powerful, almost overwhelming sense of peace and tranquility - as you'd expect in an oasis of cool and quiet among the heat and noise of the city summer; also, my religious upbringing has conditioned me to respond emotionally to such things - you shouldn't underestimate such influences; conscious awareness is a very limited and distorted window on the self and the world. It's all normal human response.
__________________
Simple probability tells us that we should expect coincidences, and simple psychology tells us that we'll remember the ones we notice...
dlorde is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2014, 12:43 PM   #119
dlorde
Philosopher
 
dlorde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 6,847
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
The spirit world say there is a God and they are in a better position to know than we are. They could be lying but why would they.
Why not?

Quote:
After all, what would we be if we all sat around in heaven as untried and untested beings?
What, like God, you mean?
__________________
Simple probability tells us that we should expect coincidences, and simple psychology tells us that we'll remember the ones we notice...

Last edited by dlorde; 27th April 2014 at 12:44 PM.
dlorde is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2014, 12:54 PM   #120
I Ratant
Penultimate Amazing
 
I Ratant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 19,258
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
There are said to be a number of planes separated by an energy barrier leading all the way up to God who remains untouched by it all. As far as I know God is a huge formless mind that provides all energy and does not interfere in our affairs directly, that is left to the angels and to highly evolved beings who have already reached enlightenment.

...
.
If this world is monitored and controlled by "highly evolved beings".. they need to "evolve" a WHOLE LOT MORE!
Maybe go for a higher degree of "enlightenment"... they're sure incompetent at what they're doing now!
I Ratant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:16 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.