ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » International Skeptics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags forum software , XenForo

Old 20th March 2015, 12:47 AM   #1
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Software transfer to XenForo

When we unFoundationeded ourselves, one of The Plans was to upgrade the forum to better, more modern forum software, XenForo.

I've been really looking forward to that.

Is that still happening, and if so, when?

(I totally want the "like" function, as I seem to be more active these days in places that have it.)
Old 20th March 2015, 01:24 AM   #2
Klimax
NWO Cyborg 5960x (subversion VPUNPCKHQDQ)

Originally Posted by Orphia Nay View Post
When we unFoundationeded ourselves, one of The Plans was to upgrade the forum to better, more modern forum software, XenForo.

I've been really looking forward to that.

Is that still happening, and if so, when?

(I totally want the "like" function, as I seem to be more active these days in places that have it.)
Last we heard from Icerat he was testing it. (IIRC - bit lazy to search...)

As for like function, I am pretty sure won't happen. (Respectively, I hope won't happen, just sucks terminally)

Engine: Ibalgin 400
Klimax is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2015, 01:33 AM   #3
icerat
Philosopher

Is that still happening
yes

Quote:
and if so, when?
During the northern summer is my current goal
Old 20th March 2015, 01:34 AM   #4
Orphia Nay
Tagger

I think The Plan with likes was that you would be able to enable or disable it on a user basis.
Old 20th March 2015, 01:36 AM   #5
Orphia Nay
Tagger

Originally Posted by icerat View Post
yes

During the northern summer is my current goal
Yay, thanks!

Good plan. When you'll have time to tweak, I gather.

If you have time, could you answer the "like" question?

Thanks again.
Old 20th March 2015, 01:38 AM   #6
icerat
Philosopher

Yay, thanks!

Good plan. When you'll have time to tweak, I gather.

If you have time, could you answer the "like" question?

Thanks again.
I'd like a like, I'm not sure how easy it is to implement the user disabling part
Old 20th March 2015, 01:40 AM   #7
Orphia Nay
Tagger

Cheers!

I found this, which appears to do it, but not sure how tricky it would be.

https://xenforo.com/community/thread...rophies.36226/

ETA: And that may be forum-wide. Sorry.
Old 23rd March 2015, 09:42 PM   #8
xterra
So far, so good...

Location: On the outskirts of Nowhere; the middle was too crowded
I like Orphia, but I don't like the "like" feature, and would not "like" Orphia.

Or anyone else. Or "dislike" them either.

I vote, "Nay," Orphia.
Old 23rd March 2015, 09:44 PM   #9
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

What benefit does the "like" bring?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2015, 10:34 PM   #10
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
It allows you to express agreement with or appreciation of a post without actually needing to use words.

I like the Like, but only when it isn't partnered with a dislike. The SGUForum uses a Like, and it seems to work pretty well. The community has embraced it.
Old 23rd March 2015, 10:40 PM   #11
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

I could see:
  • Decrease in "This ^" posts
  • A metric of reader participation in threads. People will know others value their input.
  • Incentive for educational, non-fluff posts.

For cons:
  • Incentive for circle-jerk group-think.
  • Incentive for popular, non-educational, fluff posts.
  • People will know more acutely they are out of the circle-jerk and will drive off "outsiders".

(For both of these there are assumptions behind each of the bulletpoints. These are arguments, not an objective pro/con review.)
Old 23rd March 2015, 10:44 PM   #12
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

How can a single mechanic be an incentive for both educational, non-fluff posts and popular, non-educational fluff posts? Doesn't this mean that it's just an incentive for posts?
Old 24th March 2015, 12:04 AM   #13
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
How can a single mechanic be an incentive for both educational, non-fluff posts and popular, non-educational fluff posts? Doesn't this mean that it's just an incentive for posts?
See parenthesised at bottom.
Old 24th March 2015, 01:04 AM   #14
Orphia Nay
Tagger

Of course, I'm assuming there is no "dislike" feature with XenForo.

ETA: Disliking is rude and awful.

But the places I'm keen on all use just the Like function, and it keeps me coming back, showing my admiration, and posting more.

Last edited by Orphia Nay; 24th March 2015 at 01:13 AM.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2015, 04:59 AM   #15
Dan O.
Banned

If the system were SMART (Sophisticated Multiply Associative Rating Thingy) it would learn to correlate my likes and dislikes to those of posters with similar tastes and could recommend threads I might want to read or shield my eyes from posts I'd rather not see.
Dan O. is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2015, 02:27 PM   #16
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

It allows you to express agreement with or appreciation of a post without actually needing to use words.

I like the Like, but only when it isn't partnered with a dislike. The SGUForum uses a Like, and it seems to work pretty well. The community has embraced it.
Originally Posted by Tsukasa Buddha View Post
I could see:
  • Decrease in "This ^" posts
  • A metric of reader participation in threads. People will know others value their input.
  • Incentive for educational, non-fluff posts.

For cons:
  • Incentive for circle-jerk group-think.
  • Incentive for popular, non-educational, fluff posts.
  • People will know more acutely they are out of the circle-jerk and will drive off "outsiders".

(For both of these there are assumptions behind each of the bulletpoints. These are arguments, not an objective pro/con review.)
In that case, instead of having Like, I would rather see content-less agreement posts moved to AAH and infracted.

This is supposedly a site for critical thinking and skeptical debate. If you have nothing substantive to add in response to another member's commentary, then let that commentary speak for itself, and save your post for when you have something worthwhile to contribute.

Ah, who am I kidding? Go ahead and implement Like. Literally Reddit: The Forum.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2015, 03:36 PM   #17
DrDave
Illuminator

In that case, instead of having Like, I would rather see content-less agreement posts moved to AAH and infracted.

This is supposedly a site for critical thinking and skeptical debate. If you have nothing substantive to add in response to another member's commentary, then let that commentary speak for itself, and save your post for when you have something worthwhile to contribute.
This ^
DrDave is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2015, 06:26 PM   #18
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Such an arrangement would be a nightmare for the moderation team. They would have to increase both their numbers and their powers, and can you imagine the uproar from the community who get their posts moved? People think this place is over-moderated now.

Ah, who am I kidding? Go ahead and implement Like. Literally Reddit: The Forum.
No, Reddit is quite different. Adding both Like and Dislike completely changes the feel and approach. When you can only Like, you can only act positively to support something, as opposed to Reddit, where you can downvote anything you don't like or disagree with, just because you've had a bad day or there's a mispaced comma.
Old 25th March 2015, 01:13 AM   #19
MetalPig
Master Poster

Originally Posted by DrDave View Post
This ^
I see what you did there

there's a mispaced comma.
I like my commas to be stationary.

I like the idea of a Like button. Sometimes you just want to indicate that you agree and have nothing to add.

Last edited by MetalPig; 25th March 2015 at 01:16 AM.
MetalPig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2015, 01:15 AM   #20
Klimax

To ensure clarity of my message, I am -1 (alias dislike) on any like functionality.

Klimax is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2015, 01:10 PM   #21
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

Location: ...1888 miles from home by the shortest route without tolls...
Originally Posted by DrDave View Post
This ^
QFT
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2015, 04:12 PM   #22
Ryan O'Dine
OD’ing on Damitol

Location: Walk in an ever expanding Archimedean spiral and you'll find me eventually
Would it possible to limit "Like" to members' only forums? Might reduce some of the negatives.
Old 25th March 2015, 06:28 PM   #23
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Ryan O'Dine View Post
Would it possible to limit "Like" to members' only forums? Might reduce some of the negatives.
What negatives? Remember, we're only talking about Like and not Dislike.
Old 25th March 2015, 11:58 PM   #24
Klimax

Some sort of popularity contest.

Old 26th March 2015, 12:05 AM   #25
Donn
Philosopher

Like, like, like like like!
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2015, 01:00 AM   #26
Klimax

Originally Posted by Donn View Post
Like, like, like like like!
Kill, Kill, Kill, Kill, Kill (the idea, bit more and I'd have overkill... )

Old 26th March 2015, 04:30 AM   #27
Ryan O'Dine
OD’ing on Damitol

Location: Walk in an ever expanding Archimedean spiral and you'll find me eventually
I personally would like a Like everywhere, but as Klimax and others say, even a Like button can be construed as a popularity contest. I'm sure you know this has been debated on numerous other threads (the "Dying Forum" being one of the latest), and the consensus is always against. For us Fors, we need to think outside the button (I'm clever).
Old 26th March 2015, 04:37 PM   #28
Orphia Nay
Tagger

I'm sure you know this has been debated on numerous other threads (the "Dying Forum" being one of the latest), and the consensus is always against.
There was a lot of support for a like function in that thread at the start, until the thread turned into a free-for-all whine fest.
Old 26th March 2015, 08:45 PM   #29
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Yes, the community in general has always come down on the side of not having a Like function, but that doesn't mean that we can't talk about it.
Old 26th March 2015, 09:12 PM   #30
Orphia Nay
Tagger

Yes, the community in general has always come down on the side of not having a Like function
I'm not so sure about that. My impression is that a lot of people have called for it.

Maybe we need an evenly-worded poll.
Old 26th March 2015, 09:48 PM   #31
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I'm not so sure about that. My impression is that a lot of people have called for it.

Maybe we need an evenly-worded poll.
Well, it seems that way every time it's been asked previously. A poll would be interesting, and instructive.
Old 27th March 2015, 12:29 AM   #32
DarthFishy
Graduate Poster

Well, it seems that way every time it's been asked previously. A poll would be interesting, and instructive.
A Poll? A Poll is merely another kind of popularity contest. How dare you suggest anything like that!

Old 27th March 2015, 12:43 AM   #33
DarthFishy
Graduate Poster

More seriously I lurk a lot on this Forum. I read pretty much every day but I don't post a lot (as can be seen from my post count ~0.3 posts a day!). This is often because there are posters who I agree with you are making the points I would want to make. A like button could help me take part (to a small degree) in the conversation without having to spam "^ This" or "+1" posts.
Old 27th March 2015, 12:46 AM   #34
Orphia Nay
Tagger

Originally Posted by DarthFishy View Post
More seriously I lurk a lot on this Forum. I read pretty much every day but I don't post a lot (as can be seen from my post count ~0.3 posts a day!). This is often because there are posters who I agree with you are making the points I would want to make. A like button could help me take part (to a small degree) in the conversation without having to spam "^ This" or "+1" posts.

I know how to type the BBcode for that smiley by heart, but I'm getting old and time is a-wasting. Likes, please.
Old 27th March 2015, 03:44 AM   #35
SezMe
post-pre-born

I know how to type the BBcode for that smiley by heart, but I'm getting old and time is a-wasting. Likes, please.
Thanks. I did a quote of your post so now I know how to use that smilie, so I will

Originally Posted by xterra View Post
I like Orphia, but I don't like the "like" feature, and would not "like" Orphia.

Or anyone else. Or "dislike" them either.

I vote, "Nay," Orphia.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2015, 04:18 AM   #36
Ryan O'Dine
OD’ing on Damitol

Great! Let's figure out a poll and opening statement. Here's my suggestion:

Dear Forumites, Icerat and TPTB are contemplating moving the forum software to Xenforo, which would be a good opportunity for making some changes. There've been numerous debates through the years about including a "Like" button, such as one can find on many another forum. I don't believe a poll has ever been conducted, so now seems as good a time as any.

POLL: I would like a "Like" button...

1. Everywhere, always
2. Only in the "Members' Only" sections
3. Nowhere, ever
4. Hilarious Planet X option

I'm not married to this, I just want to get the ball rolling. "Like"?
Old 27th March 2015, 04:27 AM   #37
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Change "another forum" to "other forums"
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2015, 05:15 AM   #38
MetalPig
Master Poster

POLL: I would like a "Like" button...
Do we need to specify that it is about liking posts, not people?
Old 27th March 2015, 06:59 AM   #39
Ryan O'Dine
OD’ing on Damitol

Originally Posted by MetalPig View Post
Do we need to specify that it is about liking posts, not people?
Good question. Do we need to explain what a Like button does?

Also -- I'll post the poll if no one else volunteers, but I'm surely the least known poster on this thread and so least likely to attract views. Someone else should step forward. arthwollipot suggested it, but whoever's comfortable. I think it should go in the Community subforum.
Old 27th March 2015, 07:07 AM   #40
Klimax

Good question. Do we need to explain what a Like button does?

Also -- I'll post the poll if no one else volunteers, but I'm surely the least known poster on this thread and so least likely to attract views. Someone else should step forward. arthwollipot suggested it, but whoever's comfortable. I think it should go in the Community subforum.
More of question where to post it?

International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » International Skeptics